/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Public High school?

Hayaa
01-11-2010, 02:53 AM
:sl: :)

I'm interested to learn your view/s about attending or sending your kids to public high school. Are you for it or against ? Why (pros vs cons)? :ermm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
-Elle-
01-11-2010, 03:01 AM
:wa:

I attented a public high school, and I think it's just fine. I had a great time AlhamdulillAh and never experienced any trouble. I had friends from many different cultures, yet I grew extremely close with my muslim friends, and we still keep in touch.

We were a great source of positive influence, AlhamdulillAh,although I cannot say that everyone who attends public high school has those types of friends.

Friends are honestly, at that age, the ones who influence you the most. Nowadays, good friends (for high school kids) are IMO hard to find, and many as going astray ,sadly...

Although, there are still 'bad' influences and bad things going on in Islamic schools, so don't fool yourself.

But Islamic schools have a great advantage over public schools, that is that Islam is always present and they teach you the deen (right? I never went there, I only heard of this and my sister thought at an Islamic school) , and you never have to worry about missing a prayer.

Also, the segregation at that age is cruuuuuuuuuuucial, although this might push some kids to rebel...so I am not quite sure where I stand on this...

In real life you will have to interact with males/females, so when attending public schools, you learn how to properly behave around their presence, and how to keep a confident yet respectable front when interacting with them...and your not as intimidated as you would normally be.

Anyway, that's my opinion. All in all, I'd send my future kids to an Islamic school, Insh'Allah!:)

PersiaBeFree
01-11-2010, 03:23 AM
What country?

Vito
01-11-2010, 03:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hayaa
:sl: :)

I'm interested to learn your view/s about attending or sending your kids to public high school. Are you for it or against ? Why (pros vs cons)? :ermm:
I guess it depends where you are at. If I were to continue living where I'm living, I wouldn't send my kids to the high schools here. Too many gangs. Fortunately for me it wasn't as bad as it is now. The kids here are getting worse every year. If I had the option to, I would send them to an Islamic school.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Donia
01-11-2010, 03:45 AM
If I could afford it, I would send my children to an Islamic school.

For me, just what is deemed "acceptable" and "normal" outside of Islam is just something I would prefer for my children not to be around or influenced by on a daily basis. Adhubillah.

I hope that makes sense.

I believe that you can attend public school and come out fine of course. It's also possible to swim through a lake filled with crocodiles and not get attacked... right?

Maybe that was to extreme of a comparison.. but from what I have seen at some public high schools this year. ( A close relative teaches at one. )... I would just rather avoid it.

Italianguy
01-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Are there Islamic highschools and or middle schools in USA? I have never seen one? Just wondering.

tw009
01-11-2010, 05:37 AM
You can always give them the Islamic education they need at home. Not everyone goes to an Islamic School.Everything starts from home. Parents need to teach their kids the core values and if the child understand that and are close to the religion then the child will automatically know what is right for them and what kind of activities can be harmful to them...

Italianguy
01-11-2010, 05:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
You can always give them the Islamic education they need at home. Not everyone goes to an Islamic School.Everything starts from home. Parents need to teach their kids the core values and if the child understand that and are close to the religion then the child will automatically know what is right for them and what kind of activities can be harmful to them...
I have heard that home educated kids are not looked at by the good universities all that often.

Example:

I had a friend that was home schooled, and when applying to universities he got turned down by all. He had to go to a community college first then a university.

Now my example may only apply to USA schools.

But i have heard they are much more strict on parents home schooling now, ths having to give better education and passing teaching courses themselves, helping with getting the kids(I feel old saying that;D and i'm only 30) anyway, helping the kids get into better university's?

tw009
01-11-2010, 05:57 AM
@ Italianguy, I wasn't talking about home schooling, (I guess I wasn't clear in my initial post) what I meant was that parents need to be teaching the basics of Islam from the beginning and this usually starts from the home. I have seen kids going to regular high schools and taking other Islamic classes, this way the kid learns about Islam and knows how to behave in an environment where a lot of 'haraam' stuff is going on lol

Amanda
01-11-2010, 07:13 AM
I agree with a couple of ideas that came up... Parents should be the ones responsible for religious education, in my opinion. Also, I think can be dangerous to have boys and girls segregated at school, and then expect that they graduate and can move away to a different city (possibly) for university, and know how to act appropriately around people of the opposite sex. I think it's better for them to have that exposure while still at home when parents can guide them than having to deal with it when living alone for the first time.

So in other words, I'm for public schools. :)

syilla
01-11-2010, 07:50 AM
all i can say is...the 'effort' that counts. i mean lots and lots and continuous of efforts...huhu. is not about the school, syllabus or anything... it means the parents and the children extra and extra and extra efforts...huhuhu

Alpha Dude
01-11-2010, 10:35 AM
I'd never like to have my kids attend public school.

The biggest con is peer pressure taking one away from Islam. Desensitising from sin. Being lulled into a false sense of security by seeing others sinning on a day to day basis as though it's nothing. The fear of them developing the 'hey, everybody else does it, so it can't be that bad' mentality - same reason there will be no tv for them InshaAllah.

smile
01-11-2010, 02:31 PM
pro public schools

-you meet all different people
-learn how to survive in a westernised world
-if no muslims went to public schools, non-muslims would know ever less about islam and muslims
-you have an open mind
-you teach others about islam
-etc etc

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum...
I personally dont recomend all public schools as there can fitnah..
theres a lot bad language involved in some schools (well where i am from all)..theres a lot of things involved between girls and boys, like getting each others email addresses etc...but on the bright side i had good friends but not muslims, they werent exactly very inspiring lol.but because the way they were brought up, they would practice that else where . for example its normal for people nowadays to have a new girl/boyfriend everyday :|..and to smokee..It helps if the child is intelligent enough to stay away from such people. well anywayss that my experience..and what i think, hope it helps Insha`Allaah.. In future if i can i will send my children to a Islamic Schoool :D..
If i have said anythind bad forgive me :(..Insha`Allaah.

Wa alaaykum salaam..

Hayaa
01-11-2010, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
Are there Islamic highschools and or middle schools in USA? I have never seen one? Just wondering.
Too many middle schools but very few high schools.

Hayaa
01-11-2010, 04:56 PM
pro public schools

-you meet all different people

True, but that you do in every walk of life

-learn how to survive in a westernised world

Not necessarily, I know plenty of people who did independent study/home school throughout high school but are pretty successful in the western world.

-if no muslims went to public schools, non-muslims would know ever less about islam and muslims

What about Muslims trying to hold onto their own identity? Where I live, it's rare to see a sister in an abaya let alone hijab at high school.

-you have an open mind

I've never been to public school but I can say that I'm willing to listen to others, as long as it's a way of improving my own morals

mammyluty
01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
it depends with the school,country,whether its mixed or not,bt if its in uk i think il just take my child straight to college to study what he likes as in in his area of halal intrest.bt otherwise if i wont find a good school for him il rather not take him to these public high schools.there is one near my home n they claim its a muslim mixed school.they swear,fight,rude n muslim girls huggingg boys.its so heart breaking

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.