/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why are you an Atheist?

Hamayun
01-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Please answer honestly.

If you have answered A. then please provide evidence.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Joe98
01-11-2010, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
Please answer honestly.

We know Venus the god of love and Thor the god of war are both very busy spreading love and war throughout the world.

Whereas you're god does nothing.

-

AlHoda
01-11-2010, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
We know Venus the god of love and Thor the god of war are both very busy spreading love and war throughout the world.

-
Are you being serious?

crayon
01-12-2010, 11:23 AM

-

2:164. Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the night and the day; in the sailing of the ships through the ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which Allah Sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds, and the clouds which they Trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth;- (Here) indeed are Signs for a people that are wise.

I wouldn't call that nothing. :)

88:17. Do they not look at the Camels, how they are made?-18. And at the Sky, how it is raised high?-19. And at the Mountains, how they are fixed firm?-20. And at the Earth, how it is spread out? 21. Therefore do thou remind, for thou art one to remind. 22. Thou art not one to manage (their) affairs. 23. But if any turn away and disbelieve,- 24. Allah will chastise him with a mighty Chastisement, 25. For to Us will be their return; 26. Then it will be for Us to call them to account.- (to listen to the recitation of this, click here)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Skavau
01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
The options are a false dichotomy.

The first option: "I have found evidence that proves there is no God with no room for doubt."

That is a form of atheism known as strong atheism which takes the affirmative, the positive position that God does not, or cannot exist. Most atheists are weak atheists that simply lack belief in God. Indeed also note that even strong atheists are very unlikely to contend their position has 'absolute evidence' or "no room for doubt".

The second option "I hate religion. Religion causes wars. It was made by man to gain control" has nothing to do with atheism. Atheism focuses on disbelief in God, where as hating religion is known as anti-religious or anti-theistic.

The third option "I am unsure. I am Agnostic, not Atheist" is compatible with atheism. I myself am an agnostic atheist.

Muezzin
01-12-2010, 08:22 PM

-
If by 'you're' you mean 'you are', then yes, your post makes no sense.

Life_Is_Short
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM

-
So you do believe in an entity but you just don't like calling it God?

I have a question to Atheist.You weren't born into Atheism, you decided on this later in your life. Did you research all the religions before deciding that you want to be an Atheist? For-example when ever you hear stories from new Muslims. The first thing they tell you is that they found faults in their religion or when they asked question, no one provided them with satisfactory answers and so they searched for the truth by reading about every religion in detail until they settled on one.

I am really curious to know.

czgibson
01-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Greetings,

I didn't answer the poll as none of the options apply to me. I would guess that many atheists would say the same thing - a 'none of the above' option would win, I'm sure.

I don't believe in any god or gods. Zeus and Thor, we can probably all agree, are man-made. These and thousands of others show that humans have a propensity for inventing deities. Ontologically, the god of the Abrahamic faiths is, in my view, no different from any of these. I just believe in one god fewer than a Christian, Muslim or Jew.

The reasons why I don't believe are many and various, and you've probably heard them many times before: no evidence, the problem of evil, the all-too-human content of religious scriptures, Occam's razor, "who designed the designer?" and so on. If you don't subscribe to these these arguments, that's obviously fair enough, but I do.

Most of these atheist arguments have existed for many years, yet people carry on believing, so I won't lose any sleep over it. I remain fascinated, though, by finding out why people believe what they do. I often find that people with the most sincere belief in a religion believe in the way they do for reasons that can't properly be expressed in objective language.

God is only real for me in a similar way to the way Hamlet, Odysseus or Sherlock Holmes are real. It's my view that God (with a capital 'G') is nothing more and nothing less than the most influential fictional character in world literature.

Peace

Skavau
01-13-2010, 05:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life Is Short
I have a question to Atheist.You weren't born into Atheism, you decided on this later in your life. Did you research all the religions before deciding that you want to be an Atheist? For-example when ever you hear stories from new Muslims. The first thing they tell you is that they found faults in their religion or when they asked question, no one provided them with satisfactory answers and so they searched for the truth by reading about every religion in detail until they settled on one.
Hi

I was born into a secular, non-religious family - so I was in a sense 'born' into it.

And no, I have not researched all religions.

Hamayun
01-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Thank you for your responses.

I am a little confused.

From what I understand Agnostics don't believe in God as such but are open to the idea that there may/may not have been intelligent design.

Atheists on the other hand treat the non existence of an intelligent design as a fact. They are convinced the universe with all living things did in fact originate all by itself without any intervention. Doesn't this require evidence?

If you are 100% convinced the universe did in fact originate spontaneously and without any intervention, surely you must have found concrete evidence?

czgibson
01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
I am a little confused.

From what I understand Agnostics don't believe in God as such but are open to the idea that there may/may not have been intelligent design.
This may well be true for some people, but it has little to do with the definition of agnosticism. An agnostic answers the question "Does God exist?" by saying "I don't know". The word "agnostic" literally means "without knowledge" (it comes from Greek). Read more here.

Atheists on the other hand treat the non existence of an intelligent design as a fact. They are convinced the universe with all living things did in fact originate all by itself without any intervention. Doesn't this require evidence?

If you are 100% convinced the universe did in fact originate spontaneously and without any intervention, surely you must have found concrete evidence?
This is all based on a misunderstanding of what atheism is. Atheists do not believe in any gods. Only a very strong atheist would regard the non-existence of god as a fact, but such people are extremely rare. "Atheism" is also from Greek, literally meaning "godless". Read more here.

Peace

Hamayun
01-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Thank you for you response :)

So would that mean, as an Atheist, you don't dismiss the possibility of the involvement of some sort of intelligence in the creation of the universe?

Life_Is_Short
01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skavau
Hi

I was born into a secular, non-religious family - so I was in a sense 'born' into it.

And no, I have not researched all religions.
Oh right, so are you looking into religion then?

Joe98
03-04-2010, 03:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short

I have a question to Atheist.

You weren't born into Atheism, you decided on this later in your life. Did you research all the religions before deciding that you want to be an Atheist?

I am really curious to know.
I don't play tennis. So I don't need research to find the best tennis club.

I don't buy boats. So I don't need to research the best boat.

There is no god so I don't need to research the best religion.

-

جوري
03-04-2010, 03:06 AM
I don't play tennis. So I don't need research to find the best tennis club.

I don't buy boats. So I don't need to research the best boat.

There is no god so I don't need to research the best religion.

-
But you will die and be subject to the fate of the human condition!
of course you are yet to prove that there is no God before you write with such bravado!

Gator
03-04-2010, 05:09 AM
No vote. Ditto CZ's first post.

You should put something like -) Based on your observation of the world and your best shot at a reasoned analysis of it, you do not believe in god or gods.

Thanks.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.