/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Britain divided by Islam, survey finds

Uthman
01-11-2010, 10:08 PM
More than half the population believes Britain is deeply divided along religious lines, the annual British Social Attitudes survey has found.

A majority of the country would also be concerned if a mosque was built in their area, while only 15 per cent expressed similar qualms about the opening of a church.

The survey found that only 45 per cent of those questioned felt that diversity had brought benefits to the country, while just one in four felt positively about Islam.

In addition it concluded that those with no educational qualifications were twice as likely to have negative attitudes towards Muslims as university graduates.

Findings in the annual study, which is produced with funding from Whitehall, will increase concern that tension over religion is growing in Britain.

The recent furore over plans by the extremist Muslim group Islam4UK to march through the town of Wootton Bassett, to oppose the war in Afghanistan, has increased feelings of division.

The social attitudes survey, which is produced by leading academics from interviews with almost 5,000 people, will be published in full later this month.

But the early findings are likely to heap criticism on Government policies which promote multiculturalism.

Professor David Voas, of Manchester University, who analysed the findings said many Britons felt the growth of Britain's Muslim population presented a threat to national identity.

He told the Daily Mail: "Opinion is divided and many people remain tolerant of unpopular speech as well as distinctive dress and religious behaviour, but a large segment of the British population is unhappy about these subcultures."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Well this is just silly. It's ignorance and fear.

Alpha Dude
01-12-2010, 02:47 AM
In addition it concluded that those with no educational qualifications were twice as likely to have negative attitudes towards Muslims as university graduates.
I wonder to what extent the educated ones are truly without negative attitudes. I think in some cases, with a greater intellectual capacity, people are likely to want to remain politically correct and not be seen as intolerant/racist, for whatever reason, so they will not say what they truly feel and mask it? Lol :hmm:

Skavau
01-12-2010, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I wonder to what extent the educated ones are truly without negative attitudes. I think in some cases, with a greater intellectual capacity, people are likely to want to remain politically correct and not be seen as intolerant/racist, for whatever reason, so they will not say what they truly feel and mask it? Lol :hmm:
There's an interesting irony, or contradiction here. Perhaps you are not one who claims it.

Many Muslims on here claim that the UK (including the media, the government and as a result the general population) as a whole are inherently intolerant of Islam and/or Muslims. You now state that perhaps "political correctness" prevents people from saying what they truly think (negatively) about Islam. Only one of the above can be true.

I am glad you think the latter is though.

Irrespectively, Nationalism is one of the root cause in people's fear over Islam. Islam has no nationalism and so, to nationalists it undermines their national identity over time, and therefore their own identity over time. It is the very definition of an identity struggle.

I would to just add, and pay attention to this part:

A majority of the country would also be concerned if a mosque was built in their area, while only 15 per cent expressed similar qualms about the opening of a church.
This is hardly groundbreaking knowledge. The UK has a Christian history. It does not have an Islamic tradition. I do however suspect though that most people in the UK would not have a problem with other places of worship in other religions as they do with Islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
01-12-2010, 04:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skavau

This is hardly groundbreaking knowledge. The UK has a Christian history. It does not have an Islamic tradition. I do however suspect though that most people in the UK would not have a problem with other places of worship in other religions as they do with Islam.
That is because Islam is the only contender.. outside of spiritual guidance it is a political system and not a national identity, and the only thing that stands in opposition of debauchery and moral decline which explains why so many oppose it, as it is the natural inclination of people to lean toward lowly desires and crimes if they can get away with it. Other religions outside of Judaism can barely sustain themselves spiritually let alone politically or economically without caving into the pressures of homos or murderers against capital punishment or teenagers who can't help but pop out kids out of wedlock!

Jews are building up their system and setting themselves up for disasters (I won't touch upon that) and Islam will be the only thing remaining to oppose the decadent, dissolute societies that are unrestrained by convention or morality!

May the best system win and I have no doubt in my mind that it will in the end!

all the best

Skavau
01-12-2010, 04:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
That is because Islam is the only contender.. outside of spiritual guidance it is a political system and not a national identity, and the only thing that stands in opposition of debauchery and moral decline which explains why so many oppose it, as it is the natural inclination of people to lean toward lowly desires and crimes if they can get away with it. Other religions outside of Judaism can barely sustain themselves spiritually let alone politically or economically without caving into the pressures of homos or murderers against capital punishment or teenagers who can't help but pop out kids out of wedlock!

Jews are building up their system and setting themselves up for disasters (I won't touch upon that) and Islam will be the only thing remaining to oppose the decadent, dissolute societies that are unrestrained by convention or morality!

May the best system win and I have no doubt in my mind that it will in the end!

all the best
You've just expressed why the growth of Islam is feared by many people, ignorant or otherwise in the United Kingdom - some, or many of its followers wish for it to rule the country, and bring back the Caliphate.

Now, in light of this - do you not think that for people who value secular democracy it is a very rational fear?

جوري
01-12-2010, 04:30 AM
You've just expressed why the growth of Islam is feared by many people, ignorant or otherwise in the United Kingdom - some, or many of its followers wish for it to rule the country, and bring back the Caliphate.

Now, in light of this - do you not think that for people who value secular democracy it is a very rational fear?

sure it is a very rational fear.. Now ask me if I care :D

all the best

CosmicPathos
01-12-2010, 04:42 AM
all fears are irrational, what is this "rational fear?" lol

CosmicPathos
01-12-2010, 04:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
More than half the population believes Britain is deeply divided along religious lines, the annual British Social Attitudes survey has found.

The survey found that only 45 per cent of those questioned felt that diversity had brought benefits to the country, while just one in four felt positively about Islam.

Findings in the annual study, which is produced with funding from Whitehall, will increase concern that tension over religion is growing in Britain.

The recent furore over plans by the extremist Muslim group Islam4UK to march through the town of Wootton Bassett, to oppose the war in Afghanistan, has increased feelings of division.

The social attitudes survey, which is produced by leading academics from interviews with almost 5,000 people, will be published in full later this month.

But the early findings are likely to heap criticism on Government policies which promote multiculturalism.

Professor David Voas, of Manchester University, who analysed the findings said many Britons felt the growth of Britain's Muslim population presented a threat to national identity.

He told the Daily Mail: "Opinion is divided and many people remain tolerant of unpopular speech as well as distinctive dress and religious behaviour, but a large segment of the British population is unhappy about these subcultures."

Source
interesting.

Skavau
01-12-2010, 04:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
all fears are irrational, what is this "rational fear?" lol
If I am murderer on the run, and If I contact you by phone and say I know where you live, and you're next - you might be scared, and indeed it would be rational.

Rational fear.

malayloveislam
01-12-2010, 08:44 AM
lol... British or Irish, or Scottish or Welsh or English or whatever people they are in the nation are those who should be the Caliphate of Britain.

Misunderstanding again happened to the word Caliphate. I guess this paranoia happened everywhere, not only in Britain but also in Muslim countries.

Raaina
01-12-2010, 10:59 AM
This confirms what I already thought was true.

aamirsaab
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
:sl:
Well seeing as how hedonistic a typical ''British'' life is I'm not surprised. Adultery (which is still not a crime btw), alcoholism and gambling are all the rage. So it's natural for those who pursue those courses of actions to feel threatend by something that completely denounces them.

In short: I don't actually care.

Uthman
01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Is Islamophobia real?

Supreme
01-12-2010, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Well seeing as how hedonistic a typical ''British'' life is I'm not surprised. Adultery (which is still not a crime btw),

'Still' not a crime? Don't you mean 'not any more' a crime? Adultery was once a crime on these shores I believe, as was homosexuality and alcoholism and gambling. Heck, even Christmas was once illegal because it wasn't mentioned in the Bible. I suppose they're called 'dark ages' for a reason...

Supreme
01-12-2010, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
Interesting article. I don't think we should ever ban groups such as Islam4uk just because the public doesn't like them. I saw a quote the other day that said 'A country that gives up a little freedom for a little security will deserve neither and loose both'. And besides, who else are we Brits meant to laugh at with the likes of Russell Brand and Ricky Gervais in the States?

Banu_Hashim
01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Yeah, but how many people in the UK now are practising Christians? Most people would be like... "well, yeah... I guess I'm Christian". This isnt a guessing game. You either are or you aren't. My guess is not many are. I think we have to face the fact that an opening of a church is not given even a second glance. The opening of a mosque would be local headlines. Prejudice and ignorance.

KAding
01-12-2010, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Well this is just silly. It's ignorance and fear.
What is silly exactly? IMHO increasing knowledge does not necessarily mean people will become less 'divided among religious lines'. There are differences and, thus, divisions between Christians/Atheists/Muslims, both doctrinal and cultural. That has nothing to do with ignorance. The fear is just a consequence of the understanding that there are divisions.

KAding
01-12-2010, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I completely agree.

I think higher education in general teaches tolerance, but it hardly teaches anyone what, say, Islam or Christianity is about. Interestingly those who enjoyed higher education generally are also more liberal and left-leaning. They are more open-minded on matters such as (homo)sexuality, more often supportive of things like abortion and overall less religious. The irony is that overall those higher educated claim to be less hostile towards Islam, yet in reality their beliefs are probably more at odds with, say, Islamic beliefs than those of more culturally conservative countrymen.

I mean, this is the very same educated 'liberal' crowd that revolted against the Church and Christianity in the middle of the last century.

Raaina
01-12-2010, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Yeah, but how many people in the UK now are practising Christians? Most people would be like... "well, yeah... I guess I'm Christian". This isnt a guessing game. You either are or you aren't. My guess is not many are. I think we have to face the fact that an opening of a church is not given even a second glance. The opening of a mosque would be local headlines. Prejudice and ignorance.
I totally agree. The UK has lost Christianity, what annoys me most,is the likes of people from say the EDL say things like, "This is a Christian country, i don't want to see it turn into an Islamic state". Yet, you ask them are they practising Christians? and you get this stupid answer along the lines of "Well I'm Christian by default because I was Christend and I live in the UK, but i'm not religious and I don't really believe in God".

That actually really gets me angry. If you want to proclaim this is a Christian nation, then fine. But practise what you preach.

Edited to say: I don't mean to offend any of the Christians here, I'm sorry if I did.

CosmicPathos
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
I completely agree.

I think higher education in general teaches tolerance, but it hardly teaches anyone what, say, Islam or Christianity is about. Interestingly those who enjoyed higher education generally are also more liberal and left-leaning. They are more open-minded on matters such as (homo)sexuality, more often supportive of things like abortion and overall less religious. The irony is that overall those higher educated claim to be less hostile towards Islam, yet in reality their beliefs are probably more at odds with, say, Islamic beliefs than those of more culturally conservative countrymen.

I mean, this is the very same educated 'liberal' crowd that revolted against the Church and Christianity in the middle of the last century.
So people who have no higher education, they are less likely to be tolerant? Of course the more secular educational institutions will hammer into the heads of its students that religion is superstition, they would become more "open minded." So such "less religiousness" is not due to the higher education they got but due to the implicit and invisible dogmatic ideas they were told to stick to while getting that higher education in a secular setting.

What a gross generalization. Majority of the youth of Pakistan, for example, which has higher education (Medical degrees, engineering degrees) is more or less equally religious as they were before starting those degree programs .... There are some fluctuations, but they might be insignificant at the moment within the context of a Pakistani society.

As soon as the society moves towards hedonism and higher in the hierarchy from needs to luxuries, it becomes atheistic. Education might play a role in changing one's status but that is not the conclusive factor. Wealth and relatively luxurious lifestyle, and arrogance for rejecting the Creator of all that exists are related. Surprising that I am told to believe the "perfect" logic that emanates from the brains which are not supposed to be "intelligently designed."

Supreme
01-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I totally agree. The UK has lost Christianity, what annoys me most,is the likes of people from say the EDL say things like, "This is a Christian country, i don't want to see it turn into an Islamic state". Yet, you ask them are they practising Christians? and you get this stupid answer along the lines of "Well I'm Christian by default because I was Christend and I live in the UK, but i'm not religious and I don't really believe in God".
That annoys me too. 'Hey, we worship Jesus who told us to love our neighbour and not to judge or hurt sinners or to accept persecution and to respect everyone- don't let the beating up or destruction of shops fool you, we're good Christians, honest!'

That actually really gets me angry. If you want to proclaim this is a Christian nation, then fine. But practise what you preach.

This is not a Christian nation. There is no such thing as a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation. But even if this nation did have 99% of people in its borders adhering to Christianity, it is still by definition a secular society. More fitting would be the term 'Christian majority nation', but even that is not excuse to be hostile towards Islam- indeed, it's an excuse to welcome people of other faiths and lands and love them as neighbours.

The fear is just a consequence of the understanding that there are divisions.
It's deeper than that; it's a fear of change, a fear of cultural assimiliations.

Skavau
01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Well seeing as how hedonistic a typical ''British'' life is I'm not surprised. Adultery (which is still not a crime btw), alcoholism and gambling are all the rage. So it's natural for those who pursue those courses of actions to feel threatend by something that completely denounces them.

In short: I don't actually care.
Do you not think this is a generalisation? At least it could be considered the logical fallacy of poisoning the well.

Skavau
01-12-2010, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
You're absolutely right. Christianity is in terminal decline, but it still exists without much controversy in our culture purely because of its historical position.

aamirsaab
01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
'Still' not a crime? Don't you mean 'not any more' a crime? Adultery was once a crime on these shores I believe, as was homosexuality and alcoholism and gambling. Heck, even Christmas was once illegal because it wasn't mentioned in the Bible. I suppose they're called 'dark ages' for a reason...
I actually didn't know that. Thanks for the info,

Do you not think this is a generalisation? At least it could be considered the logical fallacy of poisoning the well.
You're right: that was a generalisation (sorry, I was in a knee-jerk sort of mood). But I still don't care that Britian is divided on Islam.

Trumble
01-13-2010, 08:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
As soon as the society moves towards hedonism and higher in the hierarchy from needs to luxuries, it becomes atheistic. Education might play a role in changing one's status but that is not the conclusive factor. Wealth and relatively luxurious lifestyle, and arrogance for rejecting the Creator of all that exists are related. Surprising that I am told to believe the "perfect" logic that emanates from the brains which are not supposed to be "intelligently designed."
An interesting thesis, which I would dispute. It is certainly not true of the United States in the late 20th and early 21st centuries, for example. The move towards atheism has always principally been an intellectual one, exemplified by the 17th century 'Enlightenment', not a social one. There can be no 'arrogance' in 'rejecting' something you do not believe exists, only if you believe it does - in which case by definition you CANNOT be an atheist!

Amadeus85
01-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Are You aware that in those times Europe had one king, Christ?

Amadeus85
01-13-2010, 02:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon

Edited to say: I don't mean to offend any of the Christians here, I'm sorry if I did.
VERY GOOD post. This should be read by every Englishmen who calls himself a patriot.

I'm sorry to say this but reformation killed christianity in UK, as well as in other northern european countries. Now we see the fruits of the rejection of Rome in England, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany...Materialism replaced any spirituality there, paganism and magick are on rise.

The fear of islam in UK is also a sign of compromitation of secular state and liberal christianity. The fact that 50 million Englanders are afraid of religion which has there about 2,5 million members is shameful to Englanders. And what are the guilts of brittish muslims? That they pray to God, visit temples regularly, avoid adultery, avoid alcoholism and that they have strong family values and have many children?

I think that Englanders and all europeans, including my nation, must really think deeply about those things, because in future it may turns out that we simply don't deserve to survive. And the funniest thing is that I know that many, many of us simply won't care whether europeans exist in next century or not. Many of us simply don't care about more things than their beer and tv.

The only chance for europeans is to come back to Catholic Church and accept again Christ as the King of Europe.

So you all know, how much chances we have :).

Donia
01-13-2010, 02:28 PM
'Still' not a crime? Don't you mean 'not any more' a crime? Adultery was once a crime on these shores I believe, as was homosexuality and alcoholism and gambling.
I thought it was once a crime also although I'm not sure to what extent punishment was actually enforced.

In my opinion, it would be a good idea to make adultery illegal. Two people stand before God and take vows to each other and most also make it legal. When these vows are broken of course that is for God to judge them first but I also believe that some people might think twice before committing such acts if there was an actual significant consequence involved.
There are some places where you can get in trouble legally if you spank your child!! But feel free to go out there and frolick around with whoever you want while your spouse is at home. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
I know this is a little off topic but just wanted to share my thoughts on that particular issue. :)

Skavau
01-13-2010, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
VERY GOOD post. This should be read by every Englishmen who calls himself a patriot.
A shame. I'm not a patriot.

I'm sorry to say this but reformation killed christianity in UK, as well as in other northern european countries. Now we see the fruits of the rejection of Rome in England, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany...Materialism replaced any spirituality there, paganism and magick are on rise.
http://www.vexen.co.uk/countries/best.html

Every single country in the top 10 happens to be secular, and most of them in Europe. Also, I highlighted the part in bold where you contradicted yourself. Materialism is not synonymous with paganism.

The fear of islam in UK is also a sign of compromitation of secular state and liberal christianity.
Yes.

And it is a very rational concern.

The fact that 50 million Englanders are afraid of religion which has there about 2,5 million members is shameful to Englanders. And what are the guilts of brittish muslims? That they pray to God, visit temples regularly, avoid adultery, avoid alcoholism and that they have strong family values and have many children?
I am not 'afraid' of religion. I am concerned and afraid about religious groups that try and impose their religion onto the political system.

Moreover, no, Islam is not treated with suspicion and fear here because of the things you listed. Please stop setting up reality as some ridiculous "us vs. them" dichotomy.

I think that Englanders and all europeans, including my nation, must really think deeply about those things, because in future it may turns out that we simply don't deserve to survive. And the funniest thing is that I know that many, many of us simply won't care whether europeans exist in next century or not. Many of us simply don't care about more things than their beer and tv.
I find this paragraph disturbing. Are you seeking to imply that the lives of Europeans and fate of Europe is worthless if they don't believe in God or continue as we are? Do you believe further, if so, that everyone's lives are worthless if they don't believe in God, or hold to a religious point of view?

Supreme
01-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Are You aware that in those times Europe had one king, Christ?
...And then some. Are you serious? Catholic Christian nations were at war with each other almost every day. So much for being united under the Kingdom of Christ.

Amadeus85
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
...And then some. Are you serious? Catholic Christian nations were at war with each other almost every day. So much for being united under the Kingdom of Christ.
In Medieval? Not really, maybe after XVI century, yes, but not before. I dont say that Medival was free from mistakes, but the social reign of Christ The King during those times is a fact. All people agreed that every political power comes from God, now they believe that political power comes from the people. Medival was filled with religion to the fundaments. As human history is a attempt to get know God's plan towards human, in Medieval, people was so far closest to know that plan and to put it into practice. Every king kneeled before cross and accepted that Christ is the king of kings.

Skavau
01-13-2010, 08:05 PM
In Medieval? Not really, maybe after XVI century, yes, but not before. I dont say that Medival was free from mistakes, but the social reign of Christ The King during those times is a fact. All people agreed that every political power comes from God, now they believe that political power comes from the people. Medival was filled with religion to the fundaments. As human history is a attempt to get know God's plan towards human, in Medieval, people was so far closest to know that plan and to put it into practice. Every king kneeled before cross and accepted that Christ is the king of kings.
When you have someone who honestly believes that humanity is superfluous and meaningless in comparison to the grandiosity of ruler-ship by clerics, how can you find common ground?

Sir, and I mean this (with no insult) - you don't have morality. You are not interested in morality. You have already said that the plight of humanity is meaningless compared to your desire to glorify God. Simple obedience to atrocity is merely a small affair when you consider this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.