/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Would you marry someone you meet online?

sabr*
01-12-2010, 01:03 AM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Bismillā hir Rahmā nir Rahīm
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

اشْهَدُ انْ لّآ اِلهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدً اعَبْدُه وَ رسوله

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu
I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Would you marry a Muslim you meet online?

Nikah (Marriage Contract)

Surah Nisaa 4:4

4:4 And give the women (on marriage) their dower as a free gift; but if they, of their own good pleasure, remit any part of it to you, Take it and enjoy it with right good cheer. (Y. Ali translation)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
★мαячαн★
01-16-2010, 09:25 PM
hm... am not really sure tbh.. obviouslyy ii would meet them in person also, but if i meet a person online that i met in reality also then i might consider it i guess.. But obviously there are manyy dangers regarding this matter.

abu salaahudeen
01-16-2010, 09:46 PM
its risky but as long as you meet them and know more about the person and his/her family

UmmSqueakster
01-16-2010, 09:53 PM
I did :X 6 years and counting

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by UmmSqueakster
I did :x. 6 years and counting
how did he turn out to be?

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
01-16-2010, 10:11 PM
:sl:

i think i wud after carrying out an EXTREME investigation insha'Allah!!:hiding:

abu salaahudeen
01-17-2010, 12:27 AM
women are alot more trust worthy and reliable in comparison to fake men that try to deceive sincere women

May Allah protect the ummah from these charlatans

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Hmm..but how exactly would this go?
I mean isnt talking to the opposite gender like haram?
so if you wanted to get married or something how would you go about this,esp when being online? You would have to talk to opp gender to propose or either to interact and to know each other if your a good match? you have to talk to make a decision, hope i make sense..
How would you do this? InshaAllaah some one please reply.. just curious.
because to get married to someone online ,you have to be actually talking to the opp gender, so like isnt that haram?? Someone Help am not sure ,sorry :( if i said anything bad

abu salaahudeen
01-17-2010, 12:42 AM
if you notice someone with good character you would enquire this person is married or not then you would leave a messge whether a member of the family can be contacted in order to pursue. It goes without saying that certain questions would be directed towards each other

Cabdullahi
01-17-2010, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim World 12
Hmm..but how exactly would this go?
I mean isnt talking to the opposite gender like haram?
so if you wanted to get married or something how would you go about this,esp when being online? You would have to talk to opp gender to propose or either to interact and to know each other if your a good match? you have to talk to make a decision, hope i make sense..
How would you do this? InshaAllaah some one please reply.. just curious.
because to get married to someone online ,you have to be actually talking to the opp gender, so like isnt that haram?? Someone Help am not sure ,sorry :( if i said anything bad

^ you ask for their parents contact details either email or telephone...then you contact them for an appointment so that they can examine you

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2010, 12:47 AM
But you know the person has good character,because you spoke to them ,to figure out they have good character.There must be some form of communication involved.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2010, 12:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
^ you ask for their parents contact details either email or telephone...then you contact them for an appointment so that they can examine you
Hmm Okay ,what if theyre not interested in you? i get the rest jazakallah..
sorry for asking weird questionsimsad

abu salaahudeen
01-17-2010, 12:51 AM
this is not really the conventional way of trying to find a spouse

Cabdullahi
01-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Hmm Okay ,what if theyre not interested in you? i get the rest jazakallah..
sorry for asking weird questionsimsad
you blackmail them

im just kidding......

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Ok jazakallah, i was just not aware of how to go about the situation..
:)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2010, 12:56 AM
you blackmail them

im just kidding......
LOOL
hmm i may try that one day *thinks of a plan* nope not the one:heated:
Oh nevermindd:phew

lol kiding, *acts like a weirdo again*:hmm::hiding:

Life_Is_Short
01-17-2010, 01:06 AM
I would avoid that route to begin with.

abu salaahudeen
01-17-2010, 01:16 AM
i agree . . .

Theres ahuge risk in this i have seen many people sufferring due to them seeking marriage without the halaal way

Somaiyah
01-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

Yes, but I would like to meet the person in real life before to make the final decision without any promises before the decision.

Dagless
01-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Depends on how you met them. If you met them online without romance on your mind, liked them, then thought about marriage, and then finally met them; I would certainly marry in a situation like this (if it was requited).

Darth Ultor
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I would obviously want to meet her in person before making that big decision, but if she is the right one, then yes.

Salahudeen
01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I would too but only after a few meetings with mehram present. cos people behave differently in person to online. and she might not like you in person cos you have a really bad laugh or something lol or you have other bad habbits that they find anoying.

Raaina
01-23-2010, 12:42 PM
I already did it to :hiding:

Infact the first person I used to live with I met online and we were together for 7 years.

But there are many dangers involved online now, wasn't as bad 10 years ago like it is today :statisfie

skatteress
01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
no! if i dont know them it a NO!

The Ruler
01-23-2010, 07:36 PM
If they were rich enough, probably.

Cabdullahi
01-23-2010, 07:37 PM
^ two words : gold digger

she out there fo yo monies ;D

The Ruler
01-23-2010, 07:49 PM
^ two words : gold digger

she out there fo yo monies ;D
I just want to marry an uncharitable guy so I can put his money to good use (i.e. charitable causes).

Life_Is_Short
01-23-2010, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
I just want to marry an uncharitable guy so I can put his money to good use (i.e. charitable causes).
This is your purpose of marriage. What if he refuses after getting married? You can't disobey your husband.

Cabdullahi
01-23-2010, 08:02 PM
that's brilliant but you'll have to compete with other gold diggers and i think you wont make it so become a silver digger this is better for you if you suffer from lack of confidence and poor self esteem that sort of stuff

The Ruler
01-23-2010, 08:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
This is your purpose of marriage. What if he refuses after getting married? You can't disobey your husband.
His money is rightfully mine. If he doesn't share, he'd be oppressing me. Besides, if he's being uncharitable and doesn't give to charity, I do believe I hold the right to set him straight. Islam before the man, where Islamic obligations are concerned.

that's brilliant but you'll have to compete with other gold diggers and i think you wont make it so become a silver digger this is better for you if you suffer from lack of confidence and poor self esteem that sort of stuff
I'm not competing. I can't find competitionblehbleh.
One can't possibly predict the future. Perhaps some convulsed event might make silver a more worthwhile element than gold?

Life_Is_Short
01-23-2010, 08:17 PM
His money is rightfully mine. If he doesn't share, he'd be oppressing me. Besides, if he's being uncharitable and doesn't give to charity, I do believe I hold the right to set him straight. Islam before the man, where Islamic obligations are concerned.
Ok but there is a limit which you can't cross.

The Ruler
01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
Ok but there is a limit which you can't cross.
Of course, I am aware of that.

Mods may delete all off-topic posts of mine. Thank you.

'Abdul Rahmaan
01-26-2010, 09:34 AM
In my opinion internet is not a place to search for a spouse. A big NO from me. :D

Donia
01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
you blackmail them

im just kidding......
LOL. I really was caught off guard by that response.

My answer: If it is the will of Allah, then I would. :)

Life_Is_Short
01-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Say you do find someone. How would you go about asking for their address so you can send your parents over? You can only ask for their address if they fully know you and you know them i.e they've spoken to you online. There has to be a starting point which leads you to marriage and this starting point maybe you talking to a non-mahram which is not allowed.

In a situation (without internet) you observe how a person behaves and you send your friend to ask for the address.

Asiyah3
01-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Yes I would marry (though unlikely) However I wouldn't certainly search for a spouse from the net. (I'd also be very cautious so I wonder how anyone will be able to gain my trust :D)

kwolney01
01-26-2010, 04:31 PM
I actually met my husband online. Neither one of us was searching for a spouse. This was before I converted and we connected through talking about Islam. I had friends that were Muslim and was curious in learning more.

Before we were married he met my family and I met his a couple of times, and we knew each other for about 3 years. I decided to convert by my own choosing and it just so happened we married about 6 months after that. We decided that what we were doing wasn't right and may lead to great sin, so the logical step was to get married. Our families at first thought it was a little soon I was 19 and he 21, but now they are very happy for us. It's been tough because we do not live in the same state yet, due to college and various other reasons.

InshAllah we'll be moving together this summer.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend meeting someone online or going online to search for a spouse because of the dangers. You never know who you are talking to, it just so happened that it worked out great for me and my husband. We have been married just over a year now and are happy with our decision. We often talk about how crazy it was that we met online and how well it worked out for us.

CosmicPathos
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM

I'm not competing. I can't find competitionblehbleh.
One can't possibly predict the future. Perhaps some convulsed event might make silver a more worthwhile element than gold?
How is his money rightfully yours, islamically? His Islamic responsibility is only to provide you with your needs, luxuries are optional and recommended though to some extent. But "his money is rightfully yours," thats called a free-ride and unheard of in Islam. Of course unless he gives all of his money to you, which no sensible man would do.

"If he does not share, he'd be oppressing me." Islamically, thats not a right of a wife over his husband: to share his money. I am not sure if anyone would want to marry you if you tell them that them not sharing their money with you would be taken as "oppression" by you.

Firstly:

The rights of the wife which are hers alone:

The wife has financial rights over her husband, which are the mahr (dowry), spending and accommodation.

And she has non-financial rights, such as fair division between co-wives, being treated in a decent and reasonable manner, and not being treated in a harmful way by her husband.

1. Financial rights

(a) The mahr (dowry). This is the money to which the wife is entitled from her husband when the marriage contract is completed or when the marriage is consummated. It is a right which the man is obliged to pay to the woman. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And give to the women (whom you marry) their Mahr (obligatory bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage) with a good heart” [al-Nisaa’ 4:4]

The prescription of the mahr demonstrates the seriousness and importance of the marriage-contract, and is a token of respect and honour to the woman.

The mahr is not a condition or essential part of the marriage-contract, according to the majority of fuqahaa’; rather it is one of the consequences of the contract. If the marriage-contract is done without any mention of the mahr, it is still valid, according to the consensus of the majority, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“There is no sin on you, if you divorce women while yet you have not touched (had sexual relation with) them, nor appointed unto them their Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage)” [al-Baqarah 2:236]

The fact that divorce is permitted before consummation of the marriage or before stipulating the mahr indicates that it is permissible not to stipulate the mahr in the marriage-contract.

If the mahr is stipulated, it becomes obligatory upon the husband; if it is not stipulated, then he must give the mahr that is given to women of similar status to his wife.

(b) Spending. The scholars of Islam are agreed that it is obligatory for husbands to spend on their wives, on the condition that the wife make herself available to her husband. If she refuses him or rebels, then she is not entitled to that spending.

The reason why it is obligatory to spend on her is that the woman is available only to her husband, because of the marriage contract, and she is not allowed to leave the marital home except with his permission. So he has to spend on her and provide for her, and this is in return for her making herself available to him for his pleasure.

What is meant by spending is providing what the wife needs of food and accommodation. She has the right to these things even if she is rich, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“but the father of the child shall bear the cost of the mother’s food and clothing on a reasonable basis” [al-Baqarah 2:233]

“Let the rich man spend according to his means; and the man whose resources are restricted, let him spend according to what Allaah has given him” [al-Talaaq 65:7]

From the Sunnah:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to Hind bint ‘Utbah – the wife of Abu Sufyaan – who had complained that he did not spend on her: “Take what is sufficient for you and your children, on a reasonable basis.”

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: “Hind bint ‘Utbah, the wife of Abu Sufyaan, entered upon the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, Abu Sufyaan is a stingy man who does not spend enough on me and my children, except for what I take from his wealth without his knowledge. Is there any sin on me for doing that?’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Take from his wealth on a reasonable basis, only what is sufficient for you and your children.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5049; Muslim, 1714)

It was narrated from Jaabir that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said in his Farewell Sermon:

“Fear Allah concerning women! Verily you have taken them on the security of Allah, and intercourse with them has been made lawful unto you by words of Allah. You too have rights over them, and that they should not allow anyone to sit on your bed [i.e., not let them into the house] whom you do not like. But if they do that, you can chastise them but not severely. Their rights upon you are that you should provide them with food and clothing in a fitting manner” (Narrated by Muslim, 1218)

(c) Accommodation. This is also one of the wife’s rights, which means that her husband should prepare for her accommodation according to his means and ability. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Lodge them (the divorced women) where you dwell, according to your means” [al-Talaaq 65:6]

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/10680/wife%20money

Off topic though. I went into this detail because if all Muslimahs start thinking like you, we guys will never get married, especially in this economic situation. I hope you change your wrong opinion after this evidence.

syilla
01-27-2010, 10:17 AM
already married...so i don't have to answer :p

But i have a few friends that successfully married to one (online)...huhu

sabr*
01-27-2010, 05:07 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

اشْهَدُ انْ لّآ اِلهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدً اعَبْدُه وَ رسوله

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu
I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

One of the differences in meeting a person online verses having a marriage arranged is that the arranged marriage is vetted on your behalf and the online arrangement allows you personally to vet the person. If you have a persons Name, DOB, SSN (Social Security Numbers) (In the United States one of the primary purposes is to track individuals for taxation purposes and now to apply for credit), National Identity Cards in Europe because they usually use debit cards, Korea has the KSSN. So with technology a person can be vetted. (Schools attended, Degrees acquired, Criminal Background, Family, etc.) In some cases vetting a person online maybe more complete. What family or Imam actually does a Criminal background or go beyond excepting a persons word? Arranged marriages are more informal and requires a family to vouch for character.

Yeah it has you thinking.

Extreme caution is advised using the Internet for any physical meetings that do not require your Imam and family’s involvement.

If a person is a revert the things you did before accepting Islam is forgiven, Insha Allah. Not repeating those old dunya habits that have nothing to do with Islam is important in not repeating the past sins.

It appears that when you begin these posts without any guidance in Islam and questions are generalized it opens the door for Muslims to openly admitting unknowingly conduct outside the pale of Islam.

Before posting reply’s take the time to review the information you give to this Islamic Forum

Insha Allah

Allahu ‘Alim.

sabr*
01-27-2010, 06:21 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

I posted a thread The Muslim Marriage Process in Family & Society Building a family, the Islamic home, honouring parents, etc.
A very good read. Mashallah (As Allah has willed)

cat eyes
01-27-2010, 06:32 PM
:sl: sure why not but id have to meet him a few times with a mahram present to get to know him proper and to make sure hes not faking anything about himself

cat eyes
01-27-2010, 06:42 PM
for example if he tells you his shoe size is a 9 and you go to meet him you find out he takes a size 13 :giggling: theres so many things that guys would lie about

cat eyes
01-27-2010, 06:59 PM
exactly but maybe he will believe i wont notice til after marriage ;D

hanif_
01-27-2010, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
for example if he tells you his shoe size is a 9 and you go to meet him you find out he takes a size 13 :giggling: there's so many things that guys would lie about

Ukh cat_eyes:

A shoe size being smaller is not what a man would lie about (I know it was only an example). Lying isn't designated to either men or women.

That is the reason Islam establishes parameters and etiquette on the interaction between men and women.

Even on the internet the undercurrent of the subliminal messages, smiley faces, similitude's, etc could lead to misinterpretation.

Never mind other Muslims thoughts think of Allah assigning the angels to record our every action.

Surah Infitar 82:10-14
82:10 (Y. Ali) But verily over you (are appointed angels) to protect you,-

82:11 (Y. Ali) Kind and honourable,- Writing down (your deeds):

82:12 (Y. Ali) They know (and understand) all that ye do.

82:13 (Y. Ali) As for the Righteous, they will be in bliss;

82:14 (Y. Ali) And the Wicked - they will be in the Fire,

-Elle-
01-28-2010, 12:07 AM
But you know the person has good character,because you spoke to them ,to figure out they have good character.There must be some form of communication involved.
Not necessarily. Look at this board; I've noticed many people who have good characters by what they write. If you come across a blog page or something they you should let their intentions known from the first time they initiate contact with the other person. If the person who has been contacted it looking to get married, he/she will know the other person's intentions from the get-go and won't be be like 'why is this person contacting me...:skeleton:'.

Maybe someone would feel weird if they got a message like that from a total stranger. Idk. depends on the person. If someone compatible showed interest and was genuinely interested in getting for marriage purposes, why not, as long as the proper measures are taken from then on (family, mahram, etc..)

I still find it risky and unconventional, but Allahu 3alam!

Cabdullahi
01-28-2010, 07:53 AM
What is the difference between using the mosque database and the internet

you can get a person who's not genuine on the mosque database....that's why i say the tool of finding marriage which ever tool it maybe is not the problem.

its only risky if you don't examine the person showing interest properly and this is the same for any tool used.

i hope im making sense :(

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-28-2010, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by houda~
Not necessarily. Look at this board; I've noticed many people who have good characters by what they write. If you come across a blog page or something they you should let their intentions known from the first time they initiate contact with the other person. If the person who has been contacted it looking to get married, he/she will know the other person's intentions from the get-go and won't be be like 'why is this person contacting me...:skeleton:'.

Maybe someone would feel weird if they got a message like that from a total stranger. Idk. depends on the person. If someone compatible showed interest and was genuinely interested in getting for marriage purposes, why not, as long as the proper measures are taken from then on (family, mahram, etc..)

I still find it risky and unconventional, but Allahu 3alam!
I agreee sis Truee. Jazkallah :statisfie...just a bit curious.. i mean some people have met online and gotten Married at the end.. but as i said must have some form of communication involved.to get to know the person in some way and became to have interest in the invidividual Insha`Allaah Allahu alam..

However, if the person doesnt know you, and your interested in them as you said.. It would be weird posting a message to them and they may think your a weirdo lol or something..also in real life.. you would have to have seen that person before and interested in them for some good reason..

What i mean to say is.. We are commanded by Allah t`ala to lower our gazes..so how are we to meet someone for marriage, they must have been around us in some way etcc.? I hope you understand what i am trying to say lol i can be a bit "NOT so clear" at somet times Khayr Insha`Allaah...
Allah knows best..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-28-2010, 11:47 AM
What is the difference between using the mosque database and the internet

you can get a person who's not genuine on the mosque database....that's why i say the tool of finding marriage which ever tool it maybe is not the problem.

its only risky if you don't examine the person showing interest properly and this is the same for any tool used.

i hope im making sense :(
Yes bro you make sense ...i doubt i make sense

Blackpool
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM
You say that you're not allowed to interact with the opposite sex but you're doing it on this very forum :/ It's all confusing.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Aslaamu`alaaykum
Brother or sister Blackpool i was just assuring the brother that he makes sense. i wasnt trying to flirt or anything with the brother. Subhana`Allaah

To judge someone quick is also wrong, it may be confusing rather you are just quick to judge. Forgive me if it looked like i was doing or saying anything wrong.. Insha`Allaah if i have angered anyone forgive me for the sake of Allaah..

Wa`alaaykum Salaam

Cabdullahi
01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
You say that you're not allowed to interact with the opposite sex but you're doing it on this very forum :/ It's all confusing.
What sort of interaction are you talking about if one inquires about something which is what the sister did we have to give an answer to her.

The forbidden interactions are the things that are not to do with the above example but unfortunately we fall into the trap of just conversing about any hype.

allah u allem

Ansariyah
01-28-2010, 04:20 PM
No, I prefer the real world.

cat eyes
01-28-2010, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hanif_

Ukh cat_eyes:

A shoe size being smaller is not what a man would lie about (I know it was only an example). Lying isn't designated to either men or women.

That is the reason Islam establishes parameters and etiquette on the interaction between men and women.

Even on the internet the undercurrent of the subliminal messages, smiley faces, similitude's, etc could lead to misinterpretation.

Never mind other Muslims thoughts think of Allah assigning the angels to record our every action.

Surah Infitar 82:10-14
82:10 (Y. Ali) But verily over you (are appointed angels) to protect you,-

82:11 (Y. Ali) Kind and honourable,- Writing down (your deeds):

82:12 (Y. Ali) They know (and understand) all that ye do.

82:13 (Y. Ali) As for the Righteous, they will be in bliss;

82:14 (Y. Ali) And the Wicked - they will be in the Fire,
jazakAllah for that insightful post brother :)

Blackpool
01-29-2010, 01:24 AM
Aslaamu`alaaykum
Brother or sister Blackpool i was just assuring the brother that he makes sense. i wasnt trying to flirt or anything with the brother. Subhana`Allaah

To judge someone quick is also wrong, it may be confusing rather you are just quick to judge. Forgive me if it looked like i was doing or saying anything wrong.. Insha`Allaah if i have angered anyone forgive me for the sake of Allaah..

Wa`alaaykum Salaam
No no no, I wasn't referring to you or anyone specifically. I was referring to muslims in general. Muslims are barred from interacting with the opposite sex but in these forums muslim girls are interacting with muslim guys and vice versa. Why is a forum so different? This is a genuine question and isn't a pop at anybody at all. Heck, I didn't even read your posts before I posted mine.

-Elle-
01-29-2010, 02:27 AM
I agreee sis Truee. Jazkallah :statisfie...just a bit curious.. i mean some people have met online and gotten Married at the end.. but as i said must have some form of communication involved.to get to know the person in some way and became to have interest in the invidividual Insha`Allaah Allahu alam..

However, if the person doesnt know you, and your interested in them as you said.. It would be weird posting a message to them and they may think your a weirdo lol or something..also in real life.. you would have to have seen that person before and interested in them for some good reason..

What i mean to say is.. We are commanded by Allah t`ala to lower our gazes..so how are we to meet someone for marriage, they must have been around us in some way etcc.? I hope you understand what i am trying to say lol i can be a bit "NOT so clear" at somet times Khayr Insha`Allaah...
Allah knows best..
Lol I understand what you mean...anyway, in the end it's all naseeb, whether you meet him/her online in person by family by friends in uni etc etc...
:wa:

hanif_
01-29-2010, 02:44 AM
Muslims are barred from interacting with the opposite sex but in these forums muslim girls are interacting with muslim guys and vice versa. Why is a forum so different? This is a genuine question and isn't a pop at anybody at all. Heck, I didn't even read your posts before I posted mine.

Reread my post to Ukh cat_eyes:

If everyone reads the forum rules (Ideal but appears with every post and thread isn't the reality) it would provide guidance in how we post. The smiley faces, responses that are clearly a reflection that the opposite sex is being addressed.

Our cultural differences especially if not raised in an Islamic environment will lead our interactions with the opposite sex to reflect in how we post. The habits of a person will usually prevail.

If a person has substance and doesn't rely upon physical appearances (not even a reality in my experiences) being attracted to a person intellectually is what many people seek.

Why would a person spend hours in a forum when there are so many people within the Islamic community to interact? Everyone has their own reasons and excuses. The online community for some, especially women, provide comfort with staying within the pale of Islam by not physically interacting with the opposite sex.

It would be difficult for me to consider marrying a person online when I know that marrying for beauty would be second to the din of the person.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 27:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "A woman is married for four things, i.e., her wealth, her family status, her beauty and her religion. So you should marry the religious woman (otherwise) you will be a losers.

Muhammad
01-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Greetings,

This is why we encourage members to create topics that will be of benefit and serve a good purpose, and to avoid those that are idle and lead to nothing but chit-chat and freemixing.

Questions like that of this thread are typically individual to each person and their circumstances. Most of these are old exhausted topics of this forum and lead to the demise of the Marriage section, hence they are best avoided.

Thread closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.