/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Driving School: Driving with the veil

Uthman
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Korsa has been a driving instructor in Blackburn for a year. Her decision to wear a veil in the car initially raised a few eyebrows.

Muslim Driving School gives an insight into the lives of Muslim women learner drivers, their instructors and families.

It can be seen on BBC Two at 2200 GMT on Tuesday 12 January and afterwards on
BBC iPlayer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8449262.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
This is a six-part series airing on BBC Two. I suppose it should be...entertaining.

Raaina
01-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Oh this looks brilliant!

Who remembers learning to drive! :D

Uthman
01-12-2010, 10:33 PM
So who's watching it? It's actually really good - I thought it would be a joke but it was brilliant.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.B
01-12-2010, 10:35 PM
:sl:

Just finished watching the show but its sounds very funny. why is it called muslim driving school.

:w:

Beardo
01-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Masha'Allah!

It's only two minutes long?

But yeah, that was amazing masha'Allah. lol, Her mom couldn't help but laugh ever so often. ;D

Asiyaah
01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
I've been driving for 11 years, still can't parallel park LOL

aadil77
01-12-2010, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Masha'Allah!

It's only two minutes long?

But yeah, that was amazing masha'Allah. lol, Her mom couldn't help but laugh ever so often. ;D
^that was just a preview

why did they have to put that freshy music in the background? it had no relevance to the islamic focus of the programme, they probably assumed because she was pakistani so they could stick it in, they shouldn't be shoving in culture into the programme especially when the focus is islamic beliefs

Cabdullahi
01-12-2010, 10:45 PM
The sister with the white scarf didn't have to embarrass her husband on national telly

'' ma usband iz mooday ''

thick Yorkshire accent

czgibson
01-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Greetings,

Great show! There were some real characters on display. Feisty grandmother got a round of applause from me. :D

She had a pleasant enough teacher, by the look of things, but the imam driving instructor was much more impatient than a teacher should ever be. I'm not surprised that the poor woman under his charge was "not in a good mood" by the end of that lesson!

Peace

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I just finished watching the second episode, forgive me if I'm wrong but the programme seem to have a undertone that all Muslim marry there cousins at a very young age especially the Pakistani ethnic minority. And that women are confined to there domestic roles, and find it very hard to become independent. Well from the tone of Zaida Quereshi especially it seems we as asian males nearly all oppress women and don't let them work. Did anyone else get that type of feeling or was i just reading too much into it?

zacc
01-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Salam,

That programme is a laugh you got to give it to the Auntie Ji :thumbs_up in Bradford, she's a woman who showing alot of muslims out there yes we can DIY who needs men lol.

No they do show the negative side of it at times, the muslim women are doing a great job learning to drive Good On Them.

Muslims are always shown in a negative light when it comes to marriages they will never understand though.

One question is true am not from a pakistani background why do some Pakistanis marry their children to their cousins and at a young age????

latiffa
01-20-2010, 01:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Great show! There were some real characters on display. Feisty grandmother got a round of applause from me. :D

Peace

From me too!!!

S<Chowdhury
01-20-2010, 02:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zacc
Salam,

That programme is a laugh you got to give it to the Auntie Ji :thumbs_up in Bradford, she's a woman who showing alot of muslims out there yes we can DIY who needs men lol.

No they do show the negative side of it at times, the muslim women are doing a great job learning to drive Good On Them.

One question is true am not from a pakistani background why do some Pakistanis marry their children to their cousins and at a young age????
Yeah it was quite hilarious at times. Er well I'm not pakistani either so other brothers can give a better answer than me, but isn't they like to keep it in the family for some reason, IDK why though maybe its more compatible or something dunno. I felt sorry for that girl thou who got married at the age of 16 and divorced by 17, really sad.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-20-2010, 10:43 AM
what a very very inspiring woman.

S_87
01-20-2010, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
The sister with the white scarf didn't have to embarrass her husband on national telly

'' ma usband iz mooday ''

thick Yorkshire accent
bradistan accent

Cabdullahi
01-20-2010, 06:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
bradistan accent
oi ! itz a bit betta than the Birminghamabad accent liek cuz you get meh cuz!

:exhausted :heated:

cat eyes
01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
oi ! itz a bit betta than the Birminghamabad accent liek cuz you get meh cuz!

:exhausted :heated:
lol what accent have u got? ;D i bet its more strong..

Cabdullahi
01-20-2010, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
lol what accent have u got? ;D i bet its more strong..
I have a mixture of accents...i grew up in Sheffield moved to Birmingham for a year then to Coventry add a hint of Africa because of the influence of my African uni mates and their strong magnetic accents :exhausted

Najm
01-20-2010, 09:06 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

I dont know.... Overall i didnt like the programme.
I felt everything was put in negative context..... And i am sure from a non-muslim point of view... they would have learnt negatives.........

1 Woman jailed in house
2 Woman getting force into marriage
3 Woman marrying young
4 Woman marrying cousins
5 Woman being oppressed
6 Woman not allowed to make decisions
7 Woman not allowed to work
8 Woman showing confusing messages about the hijab.....(niqab, hijab, on and off hijab, no hijab)
9 Segregation as bad.
10 All Muslims are pakistanis?

Also If it was called "Muslim Driving School".......why was all the students females?......They should have called it "Woman Driving School"
!!!

Anyways very dissappointing. The grandma was nice though.

What does everyone else think?

FiAmaaniAllah

Cabdullahi
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
i could see the BNP dudes screaming at the telly at that convert girl for marrying an immigrant from Islamabad was it? ''he's married you for the passport aghhh!!'' :heated:

Rabi'ya
01-20-2010, 09:13 PM

interestin programme. again im not sure why it was called muslim driving school.

still havent decided if i liked it or not. few things annoyed me but a few things made me laugh too.

Muezzin
01-20-2010, 09:27 PM
I thought it was hilarious.

S<Chowdhury
01-21-2010, 11:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

I dont know.... Overall i didnt like the programme.
I felt everything was put in negative context..... And i am sure from a non-muslim point of view... they would have learnt negatives.........

1 Woman jailed in house
2 Woman getting force into marriage
3 Woman marrying young
4 Woman marrying cousins
5 Woman being oppressed
6 Woman not allowed to make decisions
7 Woman not allowed to work
8 Woman showing confusing messages about the hijab.....(niqab, hijab, on and off hijab, no hijab)
9 Segregation as bad.
10 All Muslims are pakistanis?

Also If it was called "Muslim Driving School".......why was all the students females?......They should have called it "Woman Driving School"
!!!

Anyways very dissappointing. The grandma was nice though.

What does everyone else think?

FiAmaaniAllah
I felt the same way in such everything was in bad context, there was a one sided opinion by that women Zaida Quereshi the driving instructor, who kept on saying how men are oppressing women and are restricted completely, in the second episode the topic was repeated over and over again.

On another note do many sisters actually where a Niqab when they are driving? Because i haven't seen any sister do so. Also doesn't it affect your eye sight to a certain extent, i think it is illegal in Kuwait and some other gulf countries for women to drive with niqab ever since Oman did a study and found that a woman's peripheral vision was nearly 50% reduced by niqab.

cat eyes
01-21-2010, 07:13 PM
:sl: well i know sisters when they drive they don't wear there niqaab for safety reasons but as soon as they get out they put on there niqaab. Allah would allow that especially driving on such dangerous roads where u have to keep your eyes wide open like this :eek:

Esther462
01-21-2010, 08:42 PM
I've just finished watching the 1st 2 episodes on the BBC iPlayer and thought they were quite good. I will be watching the next epiode next week.
I wear niqab driving and it dosen't affedted my vision at all because I don't wear layer on my niqab. It is leagle to drive with a niqab on in the UK. Some of the staff in my house looked it up online but I can't remeber where they found the information.

Najm
01-28-2010, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury

I felt the same way in such everything was in bad context, there was a one sided opinion by that women Zaida Quereshi the driving instructor, who kept on saying how men are oppressing women and are restricted completely, in the second episode the topic was repeated over and over again.

On another note do many sisters actually where a Niqab when they are driving? Because i haven't seen any sister do so. Also doesn't it affect your eye sight to a certain extent, i think it is illegal in Kuwait and some other gulf countries for women to drive with niqab ever since Oman did a study and found that a woman's peripheral vision was nearly 50% reduced by niqab.

I Just finished watching the 3rd episode.....and its the same issues all over again from my last post.....

Zaida states......driving "liberates" Women....in other words that they are oppressed.

The lady brings up the issue with the niqaab, and the "muslim" lady answers by saying "the husband chooses and/or she chooses to".....but she doesnt explain the real reason........she goes on to say she wouldnt wear it cause shes "not ready".....not ready for what? to submit to Allah?

Alsothe series decided to include a muslim man.....so they chose a man who is doing drugs,.............So what does the non-muslims think about islam?

The episode ends with, showing clip of next week, where ramadhan starts, and the girl shouts "food". Trying to sympathy or what!

I feel so frustrated!!!! The negative undertone is making me depressed. :raging:

FiAmaaniAllah

S_87
01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
:sl: well i know sisters when they drive they don't wear there niqaab for safety reasons but as soon as they get out they put on there niqaab. Allah would allow that especially driving on such dangerous roads where u have to keep your eyes wide open like this :eek:
i can understand that if they had their eyes covered, but seriously, it doesnt make a difference to eye sight otherwise. ive had women come up to me and say, how can you see in that (dont cover my eyes) and my reply is i see with my eyes, not with my nose/cheeks/face:hmm: :heated::heated::heated:
put it this way, with niqab i can see better than when wearing glasses because glasses have points at each end that may affect the vision whereas niqab 'clung' onto the face doesnt affect side vision

S<Chowdhury
01-29-2010, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm

I Just finished watching the 3rd episode.....and its the same issues all over again from my last post.....

Zaida states......driving "liberates" Women....in other words that they are oppressed.

The lady brings up the issue with the niqaab, and the "muslim" lady answers by saying "the husband chooses and/or she chooses to".....but she doesnt explain the real reason........she goes on to say she wouldnt wear it cause shes "not ready".....not ready for what? to submit to Allah?

Alsothe series decided to include a muslim man.....so they chose a man who is doing drugs,.............So what does the non-muslims think about islam?

The episode ends with, showing clip of next week, where ramadhan starts, and the girl shouts "food". Trying to sympathy or what!

I feel so frustrated!!!! The negative undertone is making me depressed. :raging:

FiAmaaniAllah
I feel your pain brother, i just watched it on bbc iplayer, the 3rd episode is the worst yet with its really negative undertone. This one was all about the " Revolution" that these women have paved for Muslim women to drive, though they've achieved quite alot but i think calling it a revolution was a bit over the top, and the theme of oppressed women in Islam i think will continue through the series which is totally inaccurate. But episode three kept highlighting how all Muslim get married in there teens and its all done through an arranged marriage.

cat eyes
01-29-2010, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
i can understand that if they had their eyes covered, but seriously, it doesnt make a difference to eye sight otherwise. ive had women come up to me and say, how can you see in that (dont cover my eyes) and my reply is i see with my eyes, not with my nose/cheeks/face:hmm: :heated::heated::heated:
put it this way, with niqab i can see better than when wearing glasses because glasses have points at each end that may affect the vision whereas niqab 'clung' onto the face doesnt affect side vision
my eye sight is short my left eye is extremely weak while my right eye has perfect vision i dont think i will be taking the risk of driving with the niqaab myself :)

of course your eyes are what you see with, i have often been in a car with niqaab but i wasnt really free to turn my eyes any where i wanted when my friend asked me to check was there cars coming from my right to left the material kept getting in the way of the corner of my eyes i literally had to turn my full head around anyway you also have to think that if any accident was to happen would the cops really see it that way or would they ban you from driving altogether on the account you were wearing a face veil.

Cabdullahi
01-29-2010, 08:45 PM
my eye sight is short my left eye is extremely weak while my right eye has perfect vision
what you need is this

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.