/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Grand Mosque Seizure

Supreme
01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
The Grand Mosque Seizure on November 20, 1979, was an armed attack and takeover by armed Islamic fundamentalist dissidents of the Al-Masjid al-Haram in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, the holiest place in Islam. The insurgents declared that the Mahdi, or redeemer of Islam, had arrived in the form of one of the insurgents' leaders, Abdullah Hamid Mohammed Al-Qahtani and called on Muslims to obey him.

The seizure shocked the Islamic world as hundreds of pilgrims present for the annual hajj were taken hostage, and hundreds of militants, security forces and hostages caught in crossfire were killed in the ensuing battles for control of the site. The siege ended two weeks after the takeover began with militants cleared from the mosque.[1]

Following the attack, the Saudi state implemented stricter enforcement of Islamic code.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mosque_Seizure

Hi, I recently stumbled across this article and was wondering:

-How would Muslims nowaday feel if this happened tomorrow?
-Would your sympathies lie with the Saudis or the rebels in the mosque?
-If any Muslim on here was alive at the time, how did you feel?

I also don't understand this: apparantly they drilled holes in the Grand Mosque's floor and tried to batter the door of the mosque but it was too strong. Shouldn't the Saudis have taken extra care not to have drilled holes within the mosque and is the door really that strong?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mosque_Seizure

Hi, I recently stumbled across this article and was wondering:

I also don't understand this: apparantly they drilled holes in the Grand Mosque's floor and tried to batter the door of the mosque but it was too strong. Shouldn't the Saudis have taken extra care not to have drilled holes within the mosque and is the door really that strong?
It was the kaafir French paratroopers called by the idiot King into the Holy city, where entrance of kaafirs is prohibited, to cleanse the mosque of "rebels." They drove their tanks into the mosque while creating chaos. Ive also heard that the paratroopers were told to say the Shahada to become temporary Muslims just to enter the city and infiltrate the mosque. Could be hearsay but thats what I heard while living there.

1- Muslims would feel that the rebel made a mistake in interpreting the signs and was ignorant.
2- My sympathies would lie with the one who follows Islam. Secondly, the rebels were mostly Saudis too, at least the leader and the claimed Mahdi were. So your question#2 is inaccurate.
3- Sheikh Bin Baz (ra) was sympathetic to Juhayman's passion for his deen and visited him in the jail but he did condemn Juhayman's hasty and wrong actions in this case ...

ardianto
01-12-2010, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme

-I hope it will not happen again.
-I am neutral. But seizing Masjidil Haram is not a right action.
-Nothing. I was a kid at 1979.

abu salaahudeen
01-22-2010, 03:55 PM
the insurgents tried to remove the despotic idol king in the heart of the muslim world.

may Alla remove these puppuets from muslim world

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
01-22-2010, 04:48 PM
not with the rebels, they were with a 'false mahdi' even if they had a case and i am not a saudi govt supporter, to violate the hajj -which is a v sacred time and to violate the sanctity of the haram is indeed a serious thing. to take arms into the masjid and kill the pilgrims who were the guests of Allah........whether they disagreed with the govt was one thing but to do that action was another.

wasnt alive

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.