/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bangladeshi cabbie in NY returns cash left in taxi

JoshuaD
01-13-2010, 02:41 PM
A Bangladeshi taxi driver in New York City has gone out of his way to track down the person who left thousands of dollars in cash in the back of his cab.

Mukul Asadujjaman, a medical student, drove nearly 80kms (50 miles) to an address he found with the money.

He left his phone number when he found no one at home. The money belonged to an Italian grandmother visiting the US.

Mr Asadujjaman was offered a reward, but he turned it down saying that as a devout Muslim he could not accept it.

Felicia Lettieri, of Pompeii, Italy, and six relatives had taken two cabs on Christmas Eve, Newsday newspaper reported.

Mrs Lettieri, 72, left her purse behind, with more than $21,000 of the group's travelling money, jewellery worth thousands more, and some of their passports.

Her sister, Francesca Lettieri, 79, of Long Island, said the honest driver had saved her family's vacation.

"We really love what he did," she said.

'Be honest'

A gracious Asadujjaman was quoted by the newspaper as saying that he may be broke, but he was also honest.

"My mother is my inspiration. She always said to be honest and work hard."

Mr Asadujjaman called a friend with a car and drove some 80km to a Long Island address in the purse.

No one was at home, so he left his phone number and a note, the report said.

His phone rang a short time later and he drove back to return the bag.

"They were so, so, so happy," Mr Asadujjaman told the paper.

Asked if he was tempted to keep the cash, Mr Asadujjaman said the money would have allowed him more time to study, "but my heart said this is not good".

He also turned down a reward, saying he could not accept it as a devout Muslim, Newsday reported.

"I'm needy, but I'm not greedy," he said. "It's better to be honest."

Mr Asadujjaman is not the first honest American-Bangladeshi cabbie to hit the headlines for noble behaviour.

In 2007, driver Osman Chowdhury returned a lost bag containing diamond rings worth $500,000 to the rightful owner.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8455897.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM

The_Prince
01-13-2010, 04:36 PM
lol, who carries 21,000 dollars in a purse.

aadil77
01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
lol, who carries 21,000 dollars in a purse.
the mafia...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
:sl:

May Allah bless my BD bro , Ameen.

Raaina
01-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Wow, that was a really nice thing to do..

I hope it wasn't dumped because it was fraud or drug money and then the taxi guy returned it.. haha

What goes around comes around springs to mind! :p

glo
01-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Great article.

What a witness to other people, to display such honesty and integrity!
May God continue to protect and guide Mukul Asadujjaman.

abu_musab461
01-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Takes a lot of faith and conviction of God to do a deed like that.

fits the description given by God about the believers at the start of the Quran "And who believe in (the Qurân and the Sunnah) which has been sent down (revealed) to you (Muhammad Peace be upon him ) and in that which we sent down before [the Taurât (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel), etc.] and they believe with certainty in the Hereafter. (Resurrection, recompense of their good and bad deeds, Paradise and Hell,)" (2:4)

May Allah increase him Guidance

AlHoda
01-13-2010, 09:11 PM
May Allah bless this man, it takes a lot to have such determination.

Güven
01-13-2010, 09:12 PM
ahh I saw this on the news, He did a great job. A good example to follow.

I don't think it was dirty money, I think they were just rich.

And they wanted to reward him but he declined and said that he only needed Dua's/prayers.

abu_musab461
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I think the media did a very sly thing by making the headline "Bangladeshi...." i know and you know if he was just a bengali he would have ran away with the money never to be heard of again! Its in our blood.

But the truth is he was a muslim and it was his faith in Allah that drove him to do the deed he did. So the headlines has really done injustice.

Seems so normal that when a muslim does something good its brushed under the carpet while anything bad is given the full lime light of front page news.

Its a shame really. Islam is so misunderstood.

bewildred
01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
And he'll spend the rest of his life wondering if he did the right thing.........

abu_musab461
01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
not if he is a believer like that descibed in the Quran

"and they have firm conviction about the Hereafter" (2:4)

The reward of the akhirah is better than anything this world can offer.

"Paradise the size of a whip is better than the whole world and what so ever it contains"

that includes a case full of cash.

Salahudeen
01-14-2010, 12:03 AM
cash is just paper :) no point dying over paper when you can get jannah :p a good way to make sure you do the right thing is to think to yourself "How would I feel if I was in his shoes" it stops you from becoming hypocritical. Do to others what you'd like done to yourself :)

Beardo
01-14-2010, 12:05 AM
That's how we Bangladeshis roll! :shade:

Muslim Woman
01-14-2010, 07:47 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by abu_musab461
...i know and you know if he was just a bengali he would have ran away with the money
with due respect , I beg to differ . It's not that all Muslims are good or all non-Muslim bengali people are bad.

he could be a non-Muslim . In that case , what would be the suitable headline ...a hindu did it or Christian ?

syilla
01-14-2010, 08:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
I don't think it was dirty money, I think they were just rich.
or someone that needs the money to pay the contractors or equipments for the business they're doing.

Samiun
01-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Subhanallah, this guy is great!! If this was in Malaysia I can imagine the taxi drivers that got his hands on the money would rub his hands and say I'm rich or something similar. It's really sad that people in this period of time aren't truthful anymore.

Supreme
01-14-2010, 05:17 PM
What an admirable act.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.