/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Haiti devastated by massive earthquake

aadil77
01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
A massive 7.0-magnitude earthquake has struck the Caribbean nation of Haiti.

The extent of the devastation is still unclear but there are fears thousands of people may have died.

Haiti's worst quake in two centuries hit south of the capital Port-au-Prince on Tuesday, wrecking the presidential palace, UN HQ and other buildings.

A "large number" of UN personnel were reported missing by the organisation. Many people have spent the night outside amid fears of more aftershocks.

The Red Cross says up to three million people have been affected.

Describing the earthquake as a "catastrophe", Haiti's envoy to the US said the cost of the damage could run into billions.

A number of nations, including the US, UK and Venezuela, are gearing up to send aid.

The quake, which struck about 15km (10 miles) south-west of Port-au-Prince, was quickly followed by two strong aftershocks of 5.9 and 5.5 magnitude.

The tremor hit at 1653 (2153 GMT) on Tuesday, the US Geological Survey said. Phone lines to the country failed shortly afterwards.

There is still no official word on casualties and the extent of the devastation is only now becoming clearer with dawn breaking.

China has already indicated in reports in state media that eight of its peacekeepers are buried and feared dead, with another 10 unaccounted for.

I think hundreds of casualties would be a serious understatement

Rachmani Domersant, operations manager, Food for the Poor

The AFP news agency quoted the Jordanian army as saying three of its peacekeepers had been killed and 21 wounded.

The Brazilian army said four of its peacekeepers were killed and a large number were missing.

A French official told AFP about 200 people were missing in the collapsed Hotel Montana, which is popular with tourists.

There have also been some reports of looting overnight.

Rachmani Domersant, an operations manager with the Food for the Poor charity, told Reuters that overnight the capital was in total darkness.

"You have thousands of people sitting in the streets with nowhere to go. There are people running, crying, screaming.

"People are trying to dig victims out with flashlights. I think hundreds of casualties would be a serious understatement."

Earlier, bodies white with dust could be seen piled on the back of a pick-up truck as vehicles tried to ferry the injured to hospital.

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere and has suffered a number of recent disasters, including four hurricanes and storms in 2008 that killed hundreds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8455629.stm
Qiyamah is near, time is flyin past us and it just feels alot nearer these days

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maryan0
01-14-2010, 04:26 AM
I can only imagine how much worse this earthquake will make things for this already struggling and deeply impoverished nation.imsad
salam

heavenlyspot
01-14-2010, 04:29 AM
May the victims be aided swiftly. These occurances always happen to the people who least deserve it.

-Elle-
01-14-2010, 04:45 AM
Watching this on the news is so heart-wrenching, more so when they show children...I really can't bear it. At times it reminds me of our brothers and sisters in Palestine, Iraq, and other countries..

It also reminds me how fragile we all are. When I watch what's going on there I keep on asking myself how difficult it must be for them to perform even the simplest everyday task now that their hole city is in ruins..:cry:

AlhamdulillAh we are so blessed honestly, we take so many little things for granted. We are going to sleep in our beds now and the children there who've lost their homes and families are out in the streets...Dear God. They spoke about this man who lost his wife and 3 other loved ones I believe...can't even imagine how that must feel so I won't even write anything about it. No words to describe it really.

imsad

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
01-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Humanitarian Crisis in Haiti: How You Can Help

Donations for Haiti: Your Chance to Help

Innocent Soul
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Assalamualiakum
I really become upset after reading this news:phew.
May Allah show us the right path.
Ameen

Raaina
01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I've been following oxfam updates on this on twitter. Really is heartbreaking. I couldn't watch the pictures on the tv.

I've donated money already.

I'm going to be listing things on eBay at weekend, all money will be donated to the Oxfam Haiti appeal.

Supreme
01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
I can't believe this. This strikes the least deserving of nations, a country that can't manage itself anyway. My prayers are with my brothers and sisters suffering from such a disaster in Haiti.

Life_Is_Short
01-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
'Surely we belong to Allah and to Him shall we return'."

sabr*
01-14-2010, 09:02 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Bismillā hir Rahmā nir Rahīm
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

اشْهَدُ انْ لّآ اِلهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدً اعَبْدُه وَ رسوله

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu
I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Surah Baqarah 2:155-156

2:155 Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere.
(Y. Ali translation)

2:156 Who say, when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah We belong, and to Him is our return":- Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
(Y. Ali translation)

2:157 They are those on whom (Descend) blessings from Allah, and Mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance.
(Y. Ali translation)

Surah Ali Imran 3:186

3:186 Ye shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your personal selves; and ye shall certainly Hear much that will grieve you, from those who received the Book before you and from those who worship many gods. But if ye persevere patiently, and guard against evil,-then that will be a determining factor in all affairs.
(Y. Ali translation)

aadil77
01-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Just yesterday they were saying hundreds were dead, now its up to 50,000

sabr*
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

اشْهَدُ انْ لّآ اِلهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدً اعَبْدُه وَ رسوله

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu
I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

POSTED BY MODERATORS OF THE ISLAMIC BOARD:

Posting in the World Affairs Section
Ansar Al-'Adl Posting in the World Affairs Section - 05-16-2006

*No discussions on conspiracy theories will be allowed. Such conjecture benefits no one.
__________________________________________________ _________
Same posters pushing conspiracy theories verses facts. Do you know the difference? Theories verse Facts.....

Was the intent of this thread to show sympathy and post well wishes for the People of Haiti and the Muslims in that country or to espouse conspiracy theories. Allahu 'Alim

aadil77
01-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Haiti earthquake death toll 'may be 50,000'
On the ground in Haiti with survivors as they desperately plead for help
The Red Cross estimates 45,000-50,000 people have died in Haiti's devastating earthquake, as rescue teams race against time to find survivors.

The US is sending up to 3,500 troops and 2,200 marines but correspondents say aid is so far only trickling in.

President Barack Obama pledged one of the biggest relief efforts in recent US history and said Haiti would "not be forgotten" in its hour of need.

Aid groups say they need food, water, medical supplies and lifting equipment.

The Red Cross estimates that up to three million people in Haiti have been affected by Tuesday's earthquake.

President Obama: 'Search and rescue teams are actively working to save lives'
Many are preparing to spend another night without shelter or in makeshift in the ruined capital, Port-au-Prince.

Correspondents there say bodies are piling up in the streets and there is still no sign of a co-ordinated relief effort.

Speaking in Washington on Thursday, Mr Obama said some US rescuers were already on the ground in Haiti and more were on their way.

He promised the country "every element of our national capacity, our diplomacy, and development assistance, the power of our military and most importantly, the compassion of our country" following the disaster.

"To the people of Haiti, we say clearly and with conviction, you will not be forsaken, you will not be forgotten," he said.

AT THE SCENE

I've come across two schools that have completely collapsed, you could see the bodies trapped inside - but there were no rescue teams on the ground. I haven't seen anyone in the two days I've been here.

Haitians are still digging through the rubble with their hands. The bodies are beginning to build up, both on the streets and in public spaces.

There are no coffins here, no arrangements for burials. There is no sense that the promised relief efforts have begun in earnest.

However he warned it would take time for much-needed help to reach people.

Mr Obama also promised an immediate $100m for Haiti's relief effort and said that investment would grow over the coming year to aid long-term recovery.

The first 100-strong contingent from the US Army's 82nd Airborne Division was expected to arrive in Haiti by the end of Thursday, with several hundred more due by Friday.

The USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier and the USS Bataan, carrying a marine expeditionary unit, are on their way.

Gen Douglas Fraser, head of the US Southern Command, told reporters that logistics would be the key to providing relief and that US forces would strive to make Port-au-Prince's port functional again.

The US Federal Aviation Authority earlier temporarily stopped civilian relief flights to Haiti at the Haitian government's request because there was not enough space on the ground for more planes. They have since resumed.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8460417.stm

This post is just incase someone calls the death toll a 'CONSPIRACY THEORY'

sabr*
01-14-2010, 09:43 PM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

The entire section on Manners and Purification of the Soul in IB Islamic Forum, Islamic manners, etiquettes and character; seeking repentance, supplication and drawing closer to Allah is underutilized.

This forum is a wonderful tool to enhance everyone's understanding of Islam. With every good tool in the wrong hands can be misused.

If forum rules are followed everyone's visit should be enlightening.

Be mindful of our Adab ("to invite,Hospitality,good manners) Angels are recording our deeds. Our Islamic conduct is a good example for everyone follow.

Surah Hajj 22:24

22:24 For they have been guided (in this life) to the purest of speeches; they have been guided to the Path of Him Who is Worthy of (all) Praise.
(Y. Ali translation)

Surah Hujarat 49:13

49:13 O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).
(Y. Ali translation)

KAding
01-14-2010, 10:04 PM
For Pete's sake people. Even a thread about an earthquake turns into a US-bashing thread :(. I'm sure the US is thrilled about the prospect of having to send hundreds of millions more in aid to Haiti.

Supreme
01-14-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm also pleased the Prime Minister has promised £6 million of aid to the Haitians.

The_Prince
01-15-2010, 02:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
For Pete's sake people. Even a thread about an earthquake turns into a US-bashing thread :(. I'm sure the US is thrilled about the prospect of having to send hundreds of millions more in aid to Haiti.
the U.S. government was able to give more than a trillion dollars in hand outs to banks and business' during an ECONAMIC CRISIS, and your trying to make the U.S look so holy and great because they have given 100 million to haiti? thats like giving peanuts away.

as others have said, U.S. foreign aid is really nothing when anyone actually compares the numbers and stats to other things they spend money on. and im not complaining neither, the U.S. doesnt have to give anything away, but please oh please dont come here with that silly propaganda that the U.S. always gives so muchhhhh to outsiders when the reality shows that what they actually give, isnt much at all. as i said, its like giving peanuts away.

800 billion dollars sure would look good for haiti right now, what do you say? i think that would be much better money spent than handing it out to rich bankers.

CosmicPathos
01-15-2010, 04:07 AM
If a secular state such as Canada or the US can be so moral that they are sending aid money, then what need is for a Sharia state? I am sure no Muslim country has given that much aid yet?

Woodrow
01-15-2010, 05:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
If a secular state such as Canada or the US can be so moral that they are sending aid money, then what need is for a Sharia state? I am sure no Muslim country has given that much aid yet?
This is when it is critical for any Sharia state to send as much as they can, to help prevent the secular aid from becoming a leash around the necks of those getting aid.

KAding
01-15-2010, 09:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
the U.S. government was able to give more than a trillion dollars in hand outs to banks and business' during an ECONAMIC CRISIS, and your trying to make the U.S look so holy and great because they have given 100 million to haiti? thats like giving peanuts away.

as others have said, U.S. foreign aid is really nothing when anyone actually compares the numbers and stats to other things they spend money on. and im not complaining neither, the U.S. doesnt have to give anything away, but please oh please dont come here with that silly propaganda that the U.S. always gives so muchhhhh to outsiders when the reality shows that what they actually give, isnt much at all. as i said, its like giving peanuts away.

800 billion dollars sure would look good for haiti right now, what do you say? i think that would be much better money spent than handing it out to rich bankers.
Err...Please calm down. My only point was that disasters like this costs them money and they gain nothing from it. Thus creating a earthquake from their secret facility in Alaska isn't very productive. I wasn't making "silly propaganda that the U.S. always gives so muchhhhh to outsiders". You are just trying to overanalyze my post.

aadil77
01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
This is when it is critical for any Sharia state to send as much as they can, to help prevent the secular aid from becoming a leash around the necks of those getting aid.
Thats true, aid coming from secular nations usually has alot of strings attached to it.
I remember some african country didn't accept US aid because of that same reason

KAding
01-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Secular aid as a 'leash around the necks'? What are you talking about exactly?

Woodrow
01-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Secular aid as a 'leash around the necks'? What are you talking about exactly?
Probably you have never heard of the Republic of Lakotah, which is where I now live. On the Pine Ridge Oglala Sioux Nation we have accepted USA aid in the past, as a result Pine ridge is the second most poverty stricken region in the western hemiphere, only Haiti is more impoverished. As a result of the aid the heritage and culture has been nearly destroyed. The schools that came in have almost eliminated the Lakotah language less than 10% of the children now speak Lakotah, the children are being taught to become was'i'chu abandon the Lakotah way and leave the Rez. Teen age suicide rate is the highest in the world, life expectancy is the lowest in the world, unemployment at 90% is the highest in the world, Christianity is close to being mandatory, practice of any other religion is highly discourged, the mesage we are getting is do it the was'i'chu way and forget the way of the Lakotah. Pine Ridge is the Gaza of the Western Hemisphere. Accepting aid from the was'i'chu carried with it the hidden chain of "become was'i'chu or suffer more."

titus
01-15-2010, 02:04 PM
You cannot compare the "aid" given to the Native Americans to the aid being sent to Haiti right now. It is an apples and oranges situation.

The money and "support" to the native tribes was a misguided attempt to "civilize" them. What is going on in Haiti is not comparable and I know of no strings attached. These two situations should not be put in the same boat.

I remember some african country didn't accept US aid because of that same reason
If anything there needs to be more strings attached to much of the aid to Africa, but that is a different topic.

What about when they are not waving it to public,He's NOT showing it to anyone, just hanging his hand down....

like standing beside Queen,,,!!! White house representative..... Satanic worshippers....
You really need to be more critical of such theories. Falling for them hook line and sinker like you have with such little information (and bad information at that) does not reflect well on you. It is amazing that you still find straws to grasp on to when most of the pictures you posted as proof have already been discredited, and the others would be also if we had video or context to put them in.

thetruth2009
01-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Assalam aleykoum sisters and brothers,

What happened in Haiti its very sad, about 100 000 dead only in 1 minut.

I ask Allah SWT to give them strenght and to forgive them and to give them paradise insha allah, Amine.

Assalam aleykoum sisters and brothers peace be upon to you all.

PS : I ask every one of you to pray for Haiti

Woodrow
01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thetruth2009
Assalam aleykoum sisters and brothers,

What happened in Haiti its very sad, about 100 000 dead only in 1 minut.

I ask Allah SWT to give them strenght and to forgive them and to give them paradise insha allah, Amine.

Assalam aleykoum sisters and brothers peace be upon to you all.

PS : I ask every one of you to pray for Haiti
since that conforms to the topic of the thread. I believe it best we continue the thread along that line and save any debates for separate threads.

The immediate goal is to get needed help,comfort and aid to those in need.

Muezzin
01-15-2010, 06:59 PM
I've removed all the posts pertaining to conspiracy theories. Some of them were very entertaining, but the proper place for science fiction and fantasy is the Creative Writing and Art forum.

zakirs
01-15-2010, 09:19 PM
I guess IB has a donation fund now and lets dig into our pockets as much as we can :(

zakirs
01-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Please lets us give up one week of eating outside and donate that to hati :).

http://jannahrelief.com

or you can go to www.redcross.org or www.unicef.org

If mods/admins want they can use this banner to put up on homepage.

Supreme
01-15-2010, 11:41 PM
It looks like the Americans are dominating the relief effort, even sending an aircraft carrier with aid on to Haiti. I saw images of the Haitians today on the news, some people were crowding outside a church, others were congregating in and open air hospital with no doctors or nurses. The saddest part was a dead baby wrapped up and left for dead at the roadside.

CosmicPathos
01-16-2010, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmajid
:sl:
The earthquake in Haiti has claimed at least 50,000 lives. Needless to say everyone's upset by this drastic calamity, but everyone should understand that human population has nearly doubled to 6 billion in the last century so some thinning of population is necessary to prevent starvation.;D
I disagree. Whoever is born, Allah (swt) has written down his rizq, whatever amount it is.

IslamicRevival
01-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Allah Hu Akbar. Allah SWT is most powerful

Absolute devastation in Haiti. May Allah SWT help those who are suffering. Ameen

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-16-2010, 04:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
I disagree. Whoever is born, Allah (swt) has written down his rizq, whatever amount it is.
I agree (Allah SWT writes the rizq of every person till his death even before he's born). But this calamity is also from Allah, we cant judge his doings. My thought was just to reason the calamity:omg:, although I cannot.

titus
01-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Needless to say everyone's upset by this drastic calamity, but everyone should understand that human population has nearly doubled to 6 billion in the last century so some thinning of population is necessary to prevent starvation
The world could easily supply food for 12 billion. There is no bright side to this disaster.

جوري
01-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Err...Please calm down. My only point was that disasters like this costs them money and they gain nothing from it. Thus creating a earthquake from their secret facility in Alaska isn't very productive. I wasn't making "silly propaganda that the U.S. always gives so muchhhhh to outsiders". You are just trying to overanalyze my post.
It is easy to milk another poor nation for the relief they pass to a third party while coming across as heroes..

be that as it may, I don't believe any person or nation is behind this disaster...but we can expect many more disasters in the near future manipulated or natural...

food for thought!

IslamicRevival
01-16-2010, 05:01 AM
Search for HAARP on youtube or Google it

Interesting info regards to how this machine can trigger earthquakes...

In the US, the technology is being perfected under the High-frequency Active Aural Research Program (HAARP) as part of the ("Star Wars") Strategic Defence Initiative (SDI). Recent scientific evidence suggests that HAARP is fully operational and has the ability of potentially triggering floods, droughts, hurricanes and earthquakes.

Not saying its anything to do with the Haiti disaster, Its an intriguing subject nevertheless, Never knew such weapons of mass destruction existed!

zakirs
01-16-2010, 06:15 AM
The earthquake in Haiti has claimed at least 50,000 lives. Needless to say everyone's upset by this drastic calamity, but everyone should understand that human population has nearly doubled to 6 billion in the last century so some thinning of population is necessary to prevent starvation.;D
Would you dare to say that if you brother or sister died in the earthquake. ? Have som sympathy dude.

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-16-2010, 06:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
Would you dare to say that if you brother or sister died in the earthquake. ? Have som sympathy dude.

Ok, I'm sorry, about starvation. But those people have died for some cause like that might an Azaab or something. Why whine about them even if they were my brothers and sisters.

Supreme
01-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Some very good news. A little girl was rescued from rubble by some reporters, and is healthy (albeit dehydrated slightly). And the relief fund in Britain raised £10 million on its first day. It just goes to show, mankind can be a fantastic race and we can be caring to one another.

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-16-2010, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Some very good news. A little girl was rescued from rubble by some reporters, and is healthy (albeit dehydrated slightly). And the relief fund in Britain raised £10 million on its first day. It just goes to show, mankind can be a fantastic race and we can be caring to one another.
It's not a big deal saving children (precisely people) when the whole world is watching. There are many innocent children killed brutally in Gaza and Lebanon, what was UN doing then (it just say stop that, stop this). How many countries raised how many money to save the innocent children of Gaza and Lebanon?
The quake is a calamity and no one is to be blamed if the whole country is wiped off the human lives, but there in Gaza and Lebanon people are killed:raging:

zakirs
01-16-2010, 01:33 PM
It's not a big deal saving children (precisely people) when the whole world is watching. There are many innocent children killed brutally in Gaza and Lebanon, what was UN doing then (it just say stop that, stop this). How many countries raised how many money to save the innocent children of Gaza and Lebanon?
The quake is a calamity and no one is to be blamed if the whole country is wiped off the human lives, but there in Gaza and Lebanon people are killed:raging:
Please people just can we concentrate on the quake in this thread please ? .. i don't think this has any relation to gaza. I am also angry about all those things , but it doesn't mean we should undermine the rescue efforts.

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Please people just can we concentrate on the quake in this thread please ? .. i don't think this has any relation to gaza. I am also angry about all those things , but it doesn't mean we should undermine the rescue efforts.
OK, I was wrong to express my thought here. But my thought was never wrong.
OK, people please ignore this post and continue with your (so called) relief programme.

Pygoscelis
01-16-2010, 01:55 PM
I would just like to express my respect and pride in our board members here for not falling into what the members of another religious board have fallen into - blaming the victims of this tragedy and saying they brought it on themselves by "doing voodoo" and "making a deal with the devil", as Pat Robertson claimed.

My picks for Haitian relief efforts:

www.directrelief.org/Index.aspx (quick, 99% efficient, in for long haul)
www.yele.org/ (Haitian org., focuses on 'forgotten' communities)
doctorswithoutborders.org/

Supreme
01-16-2010, 03:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I would just like to express my respect and pride in our board members here for not falling into what the members of another religious board have fallen into - blaming the victims of this tragedy and saying they brought it on themselves by "doing voodoo" and "making a deal with the devil", as Pat Robertson claimed.

My picks for Haitian relief efforts:

www.directrelief.org/Index.aspx (quick, 99% efficient, in for long haul)
www.yele.org/ (Haitian org., focuses on 'forgotten' communities)
doctorswithoutborders.org/
Pat Robertson is a moron. I saw his comments. He clearly isn't educated with the facts- Haiti's population is 80% Catholic Christian and 16% Protestant Christian, although I believe Christians in Haiti to incorporate some form of vodoo into their beliefs.

★мαячαн★
01-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Well i guess we can just pray for our brothers and sisters in the Haita's earthquake and ask our lord to help them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qULaO...embedded#at=16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uy__...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpE2x...embedded#at=32

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScUCq...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WBWr...layer_embedded

Uthman
01-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Letter from Haiti: A Haitian Muslim’s Request for Help

Woodrow
01-17-2010, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
The letter is quite moving. The destruction in Haiti is beyond coprehension. To put it in perspective the number of dead is nearly 10 times the total number killed in the USA in all USA disasters natural and man-caused since 1776. .

Supreme
01-17-2010, 02:31 PM
That is staggering. I prayed for them today in front of my church. This truly is one of the worst disasters in recorded history.

glo
01-17-2010, 05:12 PM
I am always humbled by how generously people give in times of disaster, such as this.

And thank God for modern technology, which enables us to share information and distribute aids soc quickly!

For those of you who are financially able to are are thinking about making a donation,
the Disaster Emergency Committee is a great organisation to donate to.
It is the umbrella organisation for 13 humanitarian aid agencies (Islamic Aid being one of them).

The DEC is able to stream donations to those agencies, which are already on site and which are best placed to offer the most effective input.

zakirs
01-17-2010, 05:14 PM
You can also donate to Jannah relief (my sig ) and we will collectively donate together as IB once we get some money.

glo
01-17-2010, 05:25 PM
^
Thank you, zakirs. I wasn't aware of your relief fund, and I have just made a donation elsewhere .
Which aid organisation will you feed the collected amount of donations into?

zakirs
01-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Hello sister Glo,

It would be ummah welfare trust.

http://www.uwt.org/site/index.asp

Thank you for donating though.IT doesn't matter where we donate. We should just make sure that we can do all help we can.

Karl
01-17-2010, 10:52 PM
BOYCOTT UNICEF!! (and all other similar Western organizations). Muslims should NOT make donations to organizations such as UNICEF. They are ANTI ISLAMIC global socialists and they fervently promote leftist agendas and newly founded moral precepts that are completely extraneous to Islam. They are my enemy because they try to interfer in the private affairs of autonomous countries and they internationally lobby against things such as child marriage, mutually consensual child labour and they attempt to have internationally encompassing laws enforcing compulsory education (which is more than often really just indoctrination designed to instil servile loyalty to the West at an early age). They stand for the usurpation of parental rights and instead support state appropriation of those rights. Keep clear of UNICEF with a 40 foot barge pole because they are the deceptive enemy!

If one really feels they need to make a donation to Haiti victims (or any other cause around the world) then at least keep it to strictly MUSLIM organizations, NOT Western ones such as UNICEF, World Vision etc. They are nothing but a bunch of meddling New World Order communists and they have come under criticism many times over for their insidious treachery and spying. I had even come across someone who works for UNICEF and they expressed to me in confidence that they don't like Islam and are trying to undermine it all around the world. I appeal to all Muslims: DON'T support UNICEF.

Supreme
01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
BOYCOTT UNICEF!! (and all other similar Western organizations). Muslims should NOT make donations to organizations such as UNICEF. They are ANTI ISLAMIC global socialists and they fervently promote leftist agendas and newly founded moral precepts that are completely extraneous to Islam. They are my enemy because they try to interfer in the private affairs of autonomous countries and they internationally lobby against things such as child marriage, mutually consensual child labour and they attempt to have internationally encompassing laws enforcing compulsory education (which is more than often really just indoctrination designed to instil servile loyalty to the West at an early age). They stand for the usurpation of parental rights and instead support state appropriation of those rights. Keep clear of UNICEF with a 40 foot barge pole because they are the deceptive enemy!

If one really feels they need to make a donation to Haiti victims (or any other cause around the world) then at least keep it to strictly MUSLIM organizations, NOT Western ones such as UNICEF, World Vision etc. They are nothing but a bunch of meddling New World Order communists and they have come under criticism many times over for their insidious treachery and spying. I had even come across someone who works for UNICEF and they expressed to me in confidence that they don't like Islam and are trying to undermine it all around the world. I appeal to all Muslims: DON'T support UNICEF.

Is't UNICEF the one that wants to invade India, or is that just the BBC?

Danah
01-18-2010, 05:29 PM
May Allah help them

the pictures shown by media are scary! ِAbove all that, Some of the saviors there dealt with the dead bodies in a very awful way. At least they should respect them and move the bodies in a better way!

zakirs
01-18-2010, 05:40 PM
May Allah help them
Ameen
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah

the pictures shown by media are scary! ِAbove all that, Some of the saviors there dealt with the dead bodies in a very awful way. At least they should respect them and move the bodies in a better way!
Sadly sister when you are in such a situation where living becomes difficult people hardly care about the dead :( .

Afaik , I live in india and unicef has not such planes :hmm .. lol

Uthman
01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Haiti Khutbah: Why Muslims Need to Help

Karl
01-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Both. UNICEF has already invaded India. When I was there during the invasion of Iraq there were UNICEF banners plastered all around the streets with socialist propaganda catch cries like "Stop child labour!" (and stop this, stop that, bleat winge whine). The newspapers were saying the government was mooting a crackdown stopping young people being able to work. I discussed this with a carpet maker in Varanasi who employed people of all ages to make carpets piece work and so forth, he was a Muslim he simply responded by saying "F**k the government, WE run things here". This somewhat restored my faith in India.

Karl
01-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Ameen
Afaik , I live in india and unicef has not such planes :hmm .. lol
Obviously not hard power occupation with guns and tanks but they nonetheless are the culprits who make themselves a complete bolshy nuisance in India (and other parts of Asia and Africa) and are responsible for instigating a lot of busybody Western socialism. UNICEF are attempting to convert Asia and Africa to newly founded Western morality (especially of the smothering and molly-coddling of children and youth kind... really this politically correct milksopping of youth is just so wimpy and QUEER!) The vast majority of what UNICEF do is SOCIAL ENGINEERING rather than non political work such as providing a bit of extra food or shelter for those who might need it. They just can't stop being POLITICAL in these countries and that's what really really angers me.

Read what I also said above to Supreme. You mustn't try and hide the plain fact that UNICEF are creating trouble and inflicting cultural imperialism in India and many other parts of Asia/Africa. It's a plain fact that they do this, especially obvious is their sanctimonious, mawkish and obsessive "STOP the children" catch cry BS. They really p*ss me off no end with this kind of stuff. They call child labour "exploitation". This is one of the most preposterous lies I've ever heard of in my life. UNICEF are more to do with promoting secularism, political correctness, fascism and NWO than they have anything in common with Islam. They are the patent enemy of Islam, not its ally.

Btw, you don't have to worry about Haiti. The USA is in full control of the situation (with borrowed Chinese cash). USA the A-team always comes quickly to save the world, but they don't seem to look after their own American citizens, e.g. New Orleans is still on the mend. And they're still pulling up roads cos they can't afford tar seal.:crickey:

Asiyaah
01-19-2010, 03:38 AM
Palestinians in Gaza donate to Haiti

18/01 19:41 CET
Earthquake

world news

It might be one of the world’s poorest areas, besieged by its neighbour Israel, but Palestinians living in the Gaza Strip have been donating what little they have to help those struck by the earthquake in Haiti.
Among the donations collected by a Red Cross representative: toys, toiletries and sweets – small luxuries that Gazans know only too well can brighten spirits in the face of devastation. Some also gave money.
Dr Jamal Khudari, from the Palestinian Committee against the Siege said: “It’s a symbolic donation for the people of Haiti, for the children of Haiti, to tell them that we feel the suffering.”
There are ruins in the Gaza Strip reminiscent of the scenes in Haiti. These were not caused by a natural disaster, but by bombs and shells in Israel’s deadly assault on Gaza, which drew to a close a year ago. Israel blamed attacks by militants for sparking the offensive.
The reason for the destruction might be different, but Palestinians say they understand Haiti’s pain.
Copyright © 2010 euronews

ardianto
01-19-2010, 05:05 AM
A jumbo jet that carried 75 Indonesian voluntary workers, including paramedics and constructions engineers has flew to Haiti on Jan, 15. This plane also carried around 14 tons foods and medicines. Next aid will send soon.

Pygoscelis
01-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, here goes me. I just found yesterday that the company I work for is going to be organizing some of the rebuilding efforts in Haiti, and I may have to go down there for a time. I spent yesterday looking over the situation as it currently stands and its pretty freaking horrible. :(

zakirs
01-19-2010, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Well, here goes me. I just found yesterday that the company I work for is going to be organizing some of the rebuilding efforts in Haiti, and I may have to go down there for a time. I spent yesterday looking over the situation as it currently stands and its pretty freaking horrible. :(
Be happy bro that you are getting a chance to help them by yourselves personally :) .. i would love to do that :)

Supreme
01-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Over 70,000 are reported to be dead now. May God be with them.

latiffa
01-19-2010, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
'Surely we belong to Allah and to Him shall we return'."
U have right!

May Allah help them! Ameen .

Karina
01-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Very very sad indeed. And it is almost impossible to make sense of this - yet another disaster which has left thousands dead and thousands suffering beyond our comprehension. It really makes me question everything at times like this.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil?

(Philosopher David Hume, 1776)

Hmm. Just a thought.

glo
01-19-2010, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karina
Very very sad indeed. And it is almost impossible to make sense of this - yet another disaster which has left thousands dead and thousands suffering beyond our comprehension. It really makes me question everything at times like this.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil?

(Philosopher David Hume, 1776)

Hmm. Just a thought.
Karina, it's lovely to see you. I hope you are well. :)

I have listened to quite a number of radio discussions on this topic, and I have heard several people offer their view on how and why God would allow such a disaster to befall on his creation.

No response has completely satisfied me, and there is a part of me who is convinced that our human mind cannot possibly grasp God's meaning and will for all this ... and any of our human attempts to make sense of it will never get anywhere near the full truth.
Hopefully one day we will see the full picture and understand!

However (and I am not saying this lightly), there is something about human suffering that brings out in us compassion and a desire to help. We have the chance to be God's agents on earth by providing for those who are in need and suffer.
And people of all creeds, races and religions (or none) do!
I read today that people in the UK have donated over £23 million to the Disaster Emergency Committee alone - all intended for Haiti. That's an overwhelming response!

Supreme
01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow. That is indeed a massive amount of money glo. Humans can be eachothers worst enemy, especially when in history you look at things like the Holocaust, and even today what's going on in Iraq and countries like Burma and North Korea where there are repressive, murderous governments in power. But it is always satisfying that humanity overcomes these shortcomings, and essentially shows how good it can be to itself and others in times of emegencies- that despite every life lost in this earthquake, ten more can hopefully be made better with food, shelter and security- that even in such horrific situations we can pull together and show each other what we are like to our fellow human beings. Winston Churchill once summarised it as:

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every oppurtunity. An optimist sees the oppurtunity in every difficulty.
I'd like to think in this case, we have taken the oppurtunity in this difficulty to help one another.

Cabdullahi
01-19-2010, 08:17 PM
lets all donate whatever even if its 5 quid inshallah

http://www.islamic-relief.org.uk/

Woodrow
01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Just something this thread has gotten me thinking about. I hope I can write this in a way it will be understood as I intend it to be.

Disasters are one of the greatest gifts Allaah(swt) sends to us.

I am not saying disasters do not cause pain and suffering nor am I saying we should lessen our efforts to reduce the suffering brought about by a disaster. I am saying a disaster is a gift and as such we need to accept it as it is intended to be accepted. To gain the benefits of disaster we must accept it with an out pouring of generosity and compassion for others. We must understand that a disaster is nourishment for our development of the qualities that make us human.

Disasters are the food and medicine that feed and nourish our best human qualities. Like most things that are good for us, They often cause pain or taste bad, but they set healing and growth into motion and force us to acknowledge that all people can experience pain and suffering, we need to be reminded that we should not allow any pain and suffering to be the result of our actions or inactions.

Do all you can to help these people and keep in mind that while they need the material help, we all need the help of being able to give freely. Accept the gift of this disaster, and share what your heart has gained from it by giving all you can give.

Karl
01-19-2010, 11:59 PM
One thing that makes me seriously wonder though is the sincerity of WESTERN "aid" in particular whenever these things happen in NON Western countries. I don't know why that every time some disaster happens back home in the West it is grossly neglected in comparison to if the victims of the disaster happen to be dark skinned, have bones through their noses and adopt extraneous religions and cultures. The San Francisco earthquake and especially Hurricane Katrina in American home territory was grossly neglected but when the Indonesian tsunami and the Pakistan earthquake struck, the Americans were VERY promptly coming to the "rescue" in droves, lowering out of fleets of helicopters like Chuck Norris, Rambo and the A-Team combined.

After the Indonesian tsunami I read in Indonesian newspapers that some of the Americans and British were found to be spying once they were permitted to enter on Indo soil, and they were also responsible for having whisked away scores of Indonesian children to be converted to Christian Zionism, and into adopting anti-Islamic attitudes. They were also being indoctrinated into adopting Western mentality and culture generally speaking. That's why I say that if someone really does feel the need to donate money to these places then at LEAST restrict it exclusively to Muslim charities. Keep WELL clear from the Western ones such as UNICEF, World Vision, Oxfam, Save the Children etc as these Zionist/communist/colonialist scoundrels always have all sorts of treacherous self-serving ulterior motives and strings attached.

Woodrow
01-20-2010, 12:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
One thing that makes me seriously wonder though is the sincerity of WESTERN "aid" in particular whenever these things happen in NON Western countries. I don't know why that every time some disaster happens back home in the West it is grossly neglected in comparison to if the victims of the disaster happen to be dark skinned, have bones through their noses and adopt extraneous religions and cultures. The San Francisco earthquake and especially Hurricane Katrina in American home territory was grossly neglected but when the Indonesian tsunami and the Pakistan earthquake struck, the Americans were VERY promptly coming to the "rescue" in droves, lowering out of fleets of helicopters like Chuck Norris, Rambo and the A-Team combined.

After the Indonesian tsunami I read in Indonesian newspapers that some of the Americans and British were found to be spying once they were permitted to enter on Indo soil, and they were also responsible for having whisked away scores of Indonesian children to be converted to Christian Zionism, and into adopting anti-Islamic attitudes. They were also being indoctrinated into adopting Western mentality and culture generally speaking. That's why I say that if someone really does feel the need to donate money to these places then at LEAST restrict it exclusively to Muslim charities. Keep WELL clear from the Western ones such as UNICEF, World Vision, Oxfam, Save the Children etc as these Zionist/communist/colonialist scoundrels always have all sorts of treacherous self-serving ulterior motives and strings attached.
Sadly, that happens.

It was done on a large scale when the was'i'chu rescued the Indian Children. The Ojibwa, Cree and Mohawk were almost exterminated in Canada when the "Child Welfare Program" rescued the Babies and removed them from their homes to be placed in white "civilized" homes

Vito
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Looks like there was another aftershock this morning..

Supreme
01-20-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't know about America, but the fuss made over Hurricane Katrina in the UK was immense.

Woodrow
01-20-2010, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
Looks like there was another aftershock this morning..
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — The most powerful aftershock yet struck Haiti on Wednesday, shaking more rubble from damaged buildings and sending screaming people running into the streets eight days after the country's capital was devastated by an apocalyptic quake.

The extent of additional damage or injuries caused by the magnitude-6.1 temblor was not immediately clear, AND Prime Minister Jean-Max said the government was sending a plane and an overland team to check on the situation in Petit-Goave, the center of this morning's aftershock.

"We know they are going to need some help," he said.
SOURCE:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_429328.html

Sometimes the aftershocks can be worse than the main quake. The structures that survived the big quake are very weakened and while they withstood the main quake, they often collapse from smaller following quakes. Plus there is the frustration that much of the initial relief efforts are undone and the additional rubble causes an even greater hazard than existed before the aid came.

Earthquakes are the most frustrating of disasters. Immediate aid is needed and at the same time the incoming aid often causes added problems when the after shocks hit.

an earthquake brings home the fact of just how tiny and fragile us humans are.

glo
01-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Disasters are one of the greatest gifts Allaah(swt) sends to us.

I am not saying disasters do not cause pain and suffering nor am I saying we should lessen our efforts to reduce the suffering brought about by a disaster. I am saying a disaster is a gift and as such we need to accept it as it is intended to be accepted. To gain the benefits of disaster we must accept it with an out pouring of generosity and compassion for others. We must understand that a disaster is nourishment for our development of the qualities that make us human.
I understand what you are saying, Woodrow ... although I don't think I would be able to bring myself to tell those people who are suffering as we speak that the disaster which they are experiencing is a gift from God!
I fear they might find that hurtful and possibly patronising at this stage in their lives ...

But I have heard a couple of people from Haiti - one now living in the UK, the other in the US - saying a very similar thing: That Haiti has been such an impoverished country for so long, with poor housing, poor infrastructure, poor health provision, poor schooling; and that they hoped and prayed that with the international support and all the money which is poured into the country, Haiti could become a better place than it has ever been, with a better quality of life for the Haitian people.
That sounds quite amazing to me!
Haiti might just rise out of the ashes and become a better place!

Such is the power of human compassion - and yes, I believe that God has placed that ability to feel compassion for our fellow human beings and a desire to help where we can in our hearts!

Woodrow
01-20-2010, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I understand what you are saying, Woodrow ... although I don't think I would be able to bring myself to tell those people who are suffering as we speak that the disaster which they are experiencing is a gift from God!
I fear they might find that hurtful and possibly patronising at this stage in their lives ...

But I have heard a couple of people from Haiti - one now living in the UK, the other in the US - saying a very similar thing: That Haiti has been such an impoverished country for so long, with poor housing, poor infrastructure, poor health provision, poor schooling; and that they hoped and prayed that with the international support and all the money which is poured into the country, Haiti could become a better place than it has ever been, with a better quality of life for the Haitian people.
That sounds quite amazing to me!
Haiti might just rise out of the ashes and become a better place!

Such is the power of human compassion - and yes, I believe that God has placed that ability to feel compassion for our fellow human beings and a desire to help where we can in our hearts!
Peace Glo,

I do agree that would not be the proper thing to say to those who are living in Haiti at this moment. But, in the future it is very hopeful they will see it as a gift that lifted them out of poverty. Inshallah

People who are in pain and suffering, need to first have their pains, hunger and fears removed before they can concentrate on anything except survival

Karl
01-20-2010, 11:39 PM
It depends how one views "poverty". By the West's standards "poverty" and a "developing country" is anything that has not yet been Occidentalized and turned into a fascist heavily industrialized hellhole (a so-called "developed country"). "Poverty" by the West's standards is also anyone who doesn't have profligate materialistic wealth. One must remember that these "poverty stricken" countries have always BEEN living like that, they are earthy primitive cultures and I see nothing wrong with that as a lifestyle. They are tropical paradises and they simply don't need all the materialism, fascism and mod-cons from the West to make them feel "happier". Besides, I was looking at some media footage yesterday and was shocked to see that most citizens looked quite well off. Most looked well fed and had far better quality clothing on than I wear. They also had lots of flash cars on the streets, much better than MY rust bucket of a heap! So there's definitely a lot of exaggerated propaganda that they are a "poverty stricken" country.

syilla
01-21-2010, 04:36 AM
Peace Glo,

I do agree that would not be the proper thing to say to those who are living in Haiti at this moment. But, in the future it is very hopeful they will see it as a gift that lifted them out of poverty. Inshallah

People who are in pain and suffering, need to first have their pains, hunger and fears removed before they can concentrate on anything except survival
you can find here are the pictures of acheh after the tsunami :statisfie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roel_en_roel

This is the picture comparison after tsunami

LINK

north_malaysian
01-22-2010, 03:00 AM
Al Fatiha Mosque in Haiti after the quake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlOwLYIbRaw

zakirs
01-24-2010, 07:33 PM

People have succesfully donated 335$ we just need abt 135$ more guys.Thanks a lot to all those donated.

click my sig image for details

Supreme
01-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Wow. A 24 year old rescued after 11 days. A miracle.

zakirs
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Wow. A 24 year old rescued after 11 days. A miracle.
Yes , but partly thanks to coca cola industries limited :p

Supreme
01-25-2010, 05:18 PM
150,000 people confirmed dead. Just horrific.

zakirs
01-25-2010, 05:57 PM
150,000 people confirmed dead. Just horrific.
only in capital bro :( .. who knows the total toll. I hope the families would get their wounds healed soon :|

Uthman
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Haiti - this report from the front line...

S<Chowdhury
01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Homes have been crushed, but not spirit: a day in the life of one family

glo
01-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Another man pulled alive from the rubble, two weeks after the earthquake struck!
A man has been pulled alive from the rubble in the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince - two weeks after the earthquake that destroyed the city.

US troops rescued the man from the ruins of a building in the centre of the city, and he was taken to hospital.

He had been trapped under the rubble for 12 days, the US military said, and was severely dehydrated.
In the midst of this tragedy, there are still miracles!

I heard a man on the radio yesterday, who had spent many years in Haiti working with the Haitian people.

He said that the Haitians, despite or probably because of their poverty and struggles (political, economical, environmental) had taught him an immense lesson in how to keep your faith and trust in God in the midst of adversity.

He said it's something many Westerners have either never learned or lost - that's why we look at the disaster in Haiti, and so many people ask: "How can anybody still believe in a benevolent, loving God?"

Supreme
01-27-2010, 05:09 PM
That's a miracle glo!

S<Chowdhury
01-27-2010, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Another man pulled alive from the rubble, two weeks after the earthquake struck!
Though it would be remarkable if they guy had remained alive for two weeks and he would match a record set in 1990 by a man pulled free from the ruins of a hotel after a 7.8-magnitude earthquake in the Philippines. When i was watching CNN they were saying there is no confirmation yet that he's actually be trapped for two weeks, he was actually trapped in the aftershock that took place later.

But anyway doesn't matter at the end of the day the guy was found alive and well which is :statisfie

Uthman
01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Keys to Understanding Natural Disaster Relief in Light of Haiti Earthquake

Shahreaz
02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
The kidnapping of Haiti

In his latest column for the New Statesman, John Pilger describes the "swift and crude" appropriation of earthquake-ravaged Haiti by the militarised Obama administration. With George W. Bush attending to the "relief effort" and Bill Clinton the UN's man, The Comedians, Graham Greene's dark novel about exploted Haiti comes to mind.

The theft of Haiti has been swift and crude. On 22 January, the United States secured “formal approval” from the United Nations to take over all air and sea ports in Haiti, and to “secure” roads. No Haitian signed the agreement, which has no basis in law. Power rules in an American naval blockade and the arrival of 13,000 marines, special forces, spooks and mercenaries, none with humanitarian relief training.

The airport in the capital, Port-au-Prince, is now an American military base and relief flights have been re-routed to the Dominican Republic. All flights stopped for three hours for the arrival of Hillary Clinton. Critically injured Haitians waited unaided as 800 American residents in Haiti were fed, watered and evacuated. Six days passed before the US Air Force dropped bottled water to people suffering thirst and dehydration.

The first TV reports played a critical role, giving the impression of widespread criminal mayhem. Matt Frei, the BBC reporter dispatched from Washington, seemed on the point of hyperventilation as he brayed about the “violence” and need for “security”. In spite of the demonstrable dignity of the earthquake victims, and evidence of citizens’ groups toiling unaided to rescue people, and even an American general’s assessment that the violence in Haiti was considerably less than before the earthquake, Frei claimed that “looting is the only industry” and “the dignity of Haiti’s past is long forgotten.” Thus, a history of unerring US violence and exploitation in Haiti was consigned to the victims. “There’s no doubt,” reported Frei in the aftermath of America’s bloody invasion of Iraq in 2003, “that the desire to bring good, to bring American values to the rest of the world, and especially now to the Middle East... is now increasingly tied up with military power.”

In a sense, he was right. Never before in so-called peacetime have human relations been as militarised by rapacious power. Never before has an American president subordinated his government to the military establishment of his discredited predecessor, as Barack Obama has done. In pursuing George W. Bush’s policy of war and domination, Obama has sought from Congress an unprecedented military budget in excess of $700 billion. He has become, in effect, the spokesman for a military coup.

For the people of Haiti the implications are clear, if grotesque. With US troops in control of their country, Obama has appointed George W. Bush to the “relief effort”: a parody surely lifted from Graham Greene’s The Comedians, set in Papa Doc’s Haiti. As president, Bush’s relief effort following Hurricane Katrina in 2005 amounted to an ethnic cleansing of many of New Orleans’ black population. In 2004, he ordered the kidnapping of the democratically-elected prime minister of Haiti, Jean-Bertrand Aristide, and exiled him in Africa. The popular Aristide had had the temerity to legislate modest reforms, such as a minimum wage for those who toil in Haiti’s sweatshops.

When I was last in Haiti, I watched very young girls stooped in front of whirring, hissing, binding machines at the Port-au-Prince Superior Baseball Plant. Many had swollen eyes and lacerated arms. I produced a camera and was thrown out. Haiti is where America makes the equipment for its hallowed national game, for next to nothing. Haiti is where Walt Disney contractors make Mickey Mouse pjamas, for next to nothing. The US controls Haiti’s sugar, bauxite and sisal. Rice-growing was replaced by imported American rice, driving people into the cities and towns and jerry-built housing. Years after year, Haiti was invaded by US marines, infamous for atrocities that have been their specialty from the Philippines to Afghanistan.

Bill Clinton is another comedian, having got himself appointed the UN’s man in Haiti. Once fawned upon by the BBC as “Mr. Nice Guy... bringing democracy back to a sad and troubled land”, Clinton is Haiti’s most notorious privateer, demanding de-regulation of the economy for the benefit of the sweatshop barons. Lately, he has been promoting a $55m deal to turn the north of Haiti into an American-annexed “tourist playground”.

Not for tourists is the US building its fifth biggest embassy in Port-au-Prince. Oil was found in Haiti’s waters decades ago and the US has kept it in reserve until the Middle East begins to run dry. More urgently, an occupied Haiti has a strategic importance in Washington’s “rollback” plans for Latin America. The goal is the overthrow of the popular democracies in Venezuela, Bolivia and Ecuador, control of Venezuela’s abundant oil reserves and sabotage of the growing regional cooperation that has given millions their first taste of an economic and social justice long denied by US-sponsored regimes.

The first rollback success came last year with the coup against President Jose Manuel Zelaya in Honduras who also dared advocate a minimum wage and that the rich pay tax. Obama’s secret support for the illegal regime carries a clear warning to vulnerable governments in central America. Last October, the regime in Colombia, long bankrolled by Washington and supported by death squads, handed the US seven military bases to, according to US air force documents, “combat anti-US governments in the region”.

Media propaganda has laid the ground for what may well be Obama’s next war. On 14 December, researchers at the University of West England published first findings of a ten-year study of the BBC’s reporting of Venezuela. Of 304 BBC reports, only three mentioned any of the historic reforms of the Chavez government, while the majority denigrated Chavez’s extraordinary democratic record, at one point comparing him to Hitler.

Such distortion and its attendant servitude to western power are rife across the Anglo-American corporate media. People who struggle for a better life, or for life itself, from Venezuela to Honduras to Haiti, deserve our support.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.