/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What keeps you adhered to your religion/belief?

Life_Is_Short
01-15-2010, 03:47 AM
:sl:(peace be upon you)

I know you must have many but please mention the ULTIMATE one.

I would say the infinite mercy that God showers on us. I've recently attended hajj and i found out that one prayer in the Grand Mosque Of Makkah (Al-Haram) is equivalent to 100,000 prayers. It's just amazing, Subhan'Allah. There are some dua's which are like one line long and the reward for them is a house, a garden, a palace in paradise. How many people have a palace in this world? There is one which forgives your sins even if they are in a form of a sea.

Words can't describe it. Really they can't/ :cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
01-15-2010, 07:52 AM
What keeps me 'in my religion' is God's continued presence in my life, and a strong sense of God's Spirit living and working in me and gradually changing me into the person God wants me to be.
Praise God for that. :)

Supreme
01-15-2010, 04:07 PM
I really agree with glo. There have been instances in the past where I've had doubts, but all I can do is act thankful to the Spirit He has guided me to where I am today. I've felt God has worked miracles in my confidence, education and social life.

_PakistaN_
01-15-2010, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
I really agree with glo. There have been instances in the past where I've had doubts, but all I can do is act thankful to the Spirit He has guided me to where I am today. I've felt God has worked miracles in my confidence, education and social life.
hi, you're a
Christian? watch this video on youtube.... "Tsunami Miracle"

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
_PakistaN_
01-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Well, I fear the punishments of Allah. The time we spend in this dunya is only a fraction of the time we spend in the here after.

Nathaniel
01-16-2010, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by _PakistaN_
Well, I fear the punishments of Allah. The time we spend in this dunya is only a fraction of the time we spend in the here after.
Is it not better to believe out of love, rather than fear?

abu salaahudeen
01-25-2010, 08:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Is it not better to believe out of love, rather than fear?
we worship God via Love Fear & Hope without any subtraction

mkh4JC
01-25-2010, 10:08 PM
The fact that the Lord saved me from a life of bondage to sin is what keeps me in the fold. And also that he promised me when I was a child (attending my old church) that he would bless me. A woman stood up during testimony service (a time when the saints can tell what the Lord has done for them) while I was a drummer at my old church and she said in reference to me that, 'God is going to bless him, and he knows it too.' And I did know it, having said in my mind many times that God was going to bless me.

So, despite how difficult living the Christian life has been for me (many times I've wanted to give up because of Satanic attacks, my own failings, the discipline and chastisement of a Holy God), this is what keeps me in the fold. And also knowing that if I did turn back I'd be returning to the bondage of a sinful life.

Rabi Mansur
01-26-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm not in any "religion" right now. I used to be a mormon which is a christian sect that also has some similarities to Islam. But since I discovered that it was started by a con man and that the leaders of the church had been covering up the truth for many years, I have been very leery of ever becoming affiliated again with an organized religion.

When I was a member of a church, I guess the thing that kept me the most adhered to it was family.

:wa:

syilla
01-26-2010, 03:31 AM
The promises of the afterlife :)

Trumble
01-26-2010, 08:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
I know you must have many but please mention the ULTIMATE one.
It makes sense to me, in view of the world as it really is and people as they really are. None of the others do.

Gator
01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
My reasoning is along Trumble's lines. It seems most reasonable to me and is my best shot at explaining reality.

Good post!

Thanks.

Charzhino
01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
The explanation of life and death within the bounds of the universe with its natural laws and beyond make the most sense to me according to the Vedic philosophy more so than any other religious explanation. That is if there is a God, I believe that reincarnation and karma are more logically plausible.

Eliphaz
01-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Having been born a Muslim and practiced as such for over 20 years, what pushed me away from it was the fact that I could not agree with the idea of eternal punishment, as well as various other aspects which I felt were inconsistent with the way the world really is and the way people really are.

Moving forwards, my way of life is now deism - a belief in one God based on reason and observation of the natural world, as opposed to any "revelation", although I am sure I move into agnosticism and even atheism at times. What keeps me in this way of life is that I have now realised that the very concept of "revelation" is flawed, in many ways and to varying degrees depending on which specific "revelation" you are talking about.

Amadeus85
01-26-2010, 10:11 PM
A few things. Learning history played very important role(thus God speaks to us by history), also examples in my family, personal experience of change in me, and others that I dont remember now ;).

Ali_uk
01-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Many things, but for one, my family and the many good things Allah has given me.

Insaanah
01-26-2010, 10:22 PM
What keeps us adhered to our religion?

Well, what keeps a student studying and adhereing to the syllabus? They want to have enough knowledge and apply that knowledge to the questions in order to pass the exam at the end, and to succeed.

In the same way, we want to do well in our exam paper in this world before it ends (death), and thus get good marks and succeed in the hereafter (inshaAllah).

Alpha Dude
01-26-2010, 10:28 PM
'Cause I know it's true.

tango92
01-26-2010, 10:30 PM
^^best response

personally a day came when i became deserving of the guidance of Allah, once Allah showed me those clear signs I knew i would have to be an idiot to walk away.

Cabdullahi
01-26-2010, 10:33 PM
We shall now call you hajjia 'life is short' mashallah

to the question my answer would be in my heart i feel its the absolute truth and there's nothing like it.

cat eyes
01-27-2010, 01:21 AM
:sl:humm i think its just my creator keeping me adhered to his religion. :) nothing else can keep you adhered of course you can get help to increase your imaan like putting yourself in an islamic envoiroment and seeking knowledge everyday and remembrance of Allah. if he wants he will guide and if he wants he will misguide. it is because of Allah i have firm belief and i always will inshaAllah.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-27-2010, 01:34 AM
What keeps you adhered to your religion/belief?
Allahs mercy and favor. nothing more nothing less.

Italianguy
01-27-2010, 01:58 AM
Knowing Christ's promise. Giving everthing in life to God, emersing myself into the word gives me the ability of knowing my future in paradise. If He will accept me is what I long for. Fear of knowing what the future entails if i deny Him.

glo
01-27-2010, 07:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl:humm i think its just my creator keeping me adhered to his religion. :) nothing else can keep you adhered of course you can get help to increase your imaan like putting yourself in an islamic envoiroment and seeking knowledge everyday and remembrance of Allah. if he wants he will guide and if he wants he will misguide. it is because of Allah i have firm belief and i always will inshaAllah.
That's so true. Wonderfully put, cat eyes! :statisfie

When I became a Christian I experienced a lot of resistance, ridicule and criticism from the people I love the most. For the first two or three years I had periods of time when I felt that I couldn't continue anymore and that I wouldn't make it.
After three years I suddenly looked around and thought 'But I am still here, still believing, still standing strong - all but by the grace of God!'.
I am not naturally a strong and persistent person, and I know that the strength to walk on and not give up does not come from myself, but from God's Spirit.

So you are completely right, it is God who keeps me and guides me and encourages me along the way! :statisfie

tango92
01-28-2010, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

So you are completely right, it is God who keeps me and guides me and encourages me along the way! :statisfie
is god really the one behind the bible containing countless errors? your just following vain desires if you choose to believe that.

i could pick up a crisp packet and believe it was the words of god with that attitude...

for this reason, among many, ive rejected all the other major world religions as all the scriptures have changes. except the quran

Italianguy
01-29-2010, 01:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
is god really the one behind the bible containing countless errors? your just following vain desires if you choose to believe that.

i could pick up a crisp packet and believe it was the words of god with that attitude...

for this reason, among many, ive rejected all the other major world religions as all the scriptures have changes. except the quran
Good for you bro...shows you have strength in your faith...if you choose to believe that.

Woodrow
01-29-2010, 02:45 AM
Very simple.

Newtons first law of Motion.

I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.
In 2005 Allaah(swt) pushed me on the path of Islam. I can not waver from the line of motion I have been set on, unless I allow another force to push me off the path or get intimidated by a wall that stops me.

Life_Is_Short
01-29-2010, 03:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Very simple.

Newtons first law of Motion.
Don't forget Newtons third law of Motion:

Every cause has an effect and you came into this life for a cause and a purpose, therefore it must have an effect.
Subhan'Allah!

glo
01-29-2010, 07:07 AM
To you your religion, to me mine, tango.

May we both grow stronger in our relationship with God, and in our desire to serve him. :)

tango92
01-29-2010, 07:58 AM
^ does it really not concern you that you may not be living according to the true religion of God?

glo
01-29-2010, 08:21 AM
^ does it really not concern you that you may not be living according to the true religion of God?
Tango, I desire nothing more than to love and serve God, and to meet him face to face one day.
I trust that he loves me too, and cares for me and wants what's best for me.

Every day I pray that God will guide me and keep me safe, that he will strengthen what's good and righteous in me and remove what wrong and false.
Every day I pray that this day will take me little closer to God and his will for me.

I believe that Jesus' teachings and examples are the very closest we can get to following God's will.

Do I claim that Christianity has it 100% spot on? No, I don't!
I am very suspicious of any religious person (and that includes Muslims) who proudly claim that they have the complete truth - because only God holds and knows the complete truth. We humans are like worms, trying to grasp the wonder and awe of God and his creation ... our minds are simply too weak to truly understand!

So, I am completely in God's hands. He can guide me where he wills. My heart is wide open! To answer your question, no, I am not concerned. My loving Lord will not abandon any who sincerely seek him and desire to follow him!

Was he to guide me to Islam and convict my heart that Islam is his true religion, I would follow it without hesitation ...
So far he hasn't.

Until such a day I continue to follow Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Lord. That's where my conviction and my love and my trust and my hope lies.

May you too continue to seek God with an open heart, tango. Who knows what beauty and wonder he has in store for you! :statisfie

جوري
01-29-2010, 01:21 PM
following the desires is more alluring than the tight straight path to heaven.. so many things to lure you in the way.. You should listen to Anwar Alwalki lecture about the religious Jew who used to worship night and day, and he was so trusted, that three brothers who went to jihad entrusted him to the care of their only sister...

I have to go now but that is a very sad story about how a good man can be corrupted for giving in to the devil, his desires are made attractive or even righteous to him.

Anyhow maybe I'll complete it when I come back if you can't find the story yourself..

:w:

Danah
01-29-2010, 04:39 PM
What keeps you adhered to your religion/belief?

The praise to Allah, Who hath guided us to this. We could not truly have been led aright if Allah had not guided us [7:43]

وَقَالُواْ ٱلۡحَمۡدُ لِلَّهِ ٱلَّذِى هَدَٮٰنَا لِهَـٰذَا وَمَا كُنَّا لِنَہۡتَدِىَ لَوۡلَآ أَنۡ هَدَٮٰنَا ٱللَّهُ

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.