/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UKIP woos white working class with call for total ban on burkas

Uthman
01-16-2010, 06:33 PM
The UK Independence Party is to call for a ban on the burka and the niqab — the Islamic cloak that covers women from head to toe and the mask that conceals most of the face — claiming they affront British values. The policy, which a number of European countries are also debating, is an attempt by UKIP to broaden its appeal and address the concerns of disaffected white working-class voters.

UKIP would be the first national party to call for a total ban on burkas, though the far-Right BNP believes they should be banned from schools.

Lord Pearson of Rannoch, the leader of UKIP, said yesterday: “We are taking expert advice on how we could do it. It makes sense to ban the burka — or anything which conceals a woman’s face — in public buildings.
But we want to make it possible to ban them in private buildings. It isn’t right that you can’t see someone’s face in an airport.”

He explained that UKIP wanted to bring to the fore the issue of the increasing influence of Sharia in Britain: “We are not Muslim bashing, but this is incompatible with Britain’s values of freedom and democracy.”

Nigel Farage, the former UKIP party leader, will announce tomorrow that the party believes the fabric of the country is under threat from Sharia and that forcing women to conceal their identity in public is not consistent with traditional Britishness.

UKIP believes that the burka and the niqab have no basis in Islam, are a threat to gender equality, marginalise women and endanger the public safety because terrorists could use them to hide their identity.

In the general election, UKIP hopes to build on success at the June European polls when it secured the second-largest share of the vote, more than 16 per cent. It also hopes to win its first Westminster seats.

UKIP has been known primarily as a single-issue Eurosceptic party composed of disaffected Tories. But over the next two months it plans to publish papers on a number of policy areas such as welfare into work, transport, healthcare and tax. Its manifesto will specify policy measures, — a clarity that UKIP says other parties lack.

UKIP has said that it would increase Britain’s military budget by 40 per cent and bring back grammar schools. The party also believes that fewer school leavers should go to university, and that the less academic teenagers should be encouraged to learn a trade. It would also seek to revolutionise teacher training. Lord Pearson said that the current process was “rotten”.

Mr Farage, who stood down last year to fight the Buckingham seat held by John Bercow, Speaker of the Commons, told The Times yesterday: “UKIP has always been good at showing what it is against, but we are now trying to demonstrate to voters how an independent Britain would be governed. I am going to be talking about Britishness, about the national identity and the genuine threat that Sharia law poses. Alarm bells should have sounded when the Archbishop of Canterbury said that the adoption of Sharia law in the UK was unavoidable.”

Two years ago Rowan Williams triggered a row over Sharia when he argued that Britain had to “face up to the fact” that some of its citizens do not relate to the British legal system and that adopting parts of Islamic law would help to maintain social cohesion. Mr Farage declined to be drawn on a proposed burka ban.

In France, President Sarkozy is trying to outlaw the wearing of full veils on state premises such as university campuses and hospitals, and on public transport. All the main French parties and most of the public are opposed to women wearing full veils but, after six months of parliamentary hearings, it is apparent that a blanket ban would be unworkable and likely to backfire.

Mr Sarkozy wants an all-party consensus to make clear that full veils contradict French principles while avoiding measures that would stigmatise Muslims.

In Denmark, Conservatives in the coalition government have demanded a ban on the burka and the niqab in public. In October 2009 the Muslim Canadian Congress called for a ban on the burka and the niqab, arguing that they have “no basis in Islam”.

Inayat Bunglawala, a spokesman for the Muslim Council for Britain, told The Times: “UKIP is supposed to be proud of Britain’s traditions and values, which include freedom or speech, association and religion.

“The overwhelming majority of women who wear the burka do so out of a sense of religious duty. It is their interpretation of their religion. UKIP have no right to overrule that. It is nobody else’s business."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
What's this? Yet another opportunity to promote this thread?!

Life_Is_Short
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Why can't they use their energy on more important issues?

Uthman
01-16-2010, 07:26 PM
:salamext:

format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
Why can't they use their energy on more important issues?
Probably because few people are actually interested in their party so they want to attract some attention and support by focusing on an issue which is bound to do just that. See my next post!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
01-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Veil of Ignorance

UKIP’s proposed ban on burkas is deeply cynical and wrong

There is a darkly comic moment in Harold Nicolson’s diaries, when the author sits down with his old ally Sir Oswald Mosley and discusses a uniform for his New Party. Mosley says that he is thinking of black shirts. Nicolson, still innocent of his friend’s intention to turn the New Party into the British Union of Fascists, suggests that perhaps members should wear grey flannels with a marigold buttonhole.

The leadership of UKIP are almost certainly similarly ignorant of the path that they are now treading. But their new policy of banning people from wearing the burka is a step towards a very dark place indeed, for them and for their followers. They should stop now, before it is too late.

The party leadership may share Nicolson’s ignorance, but not his naivety. The call to ban the burka is deeply cynical, for the political thinking behind their policy is obvious. Very few people share UKIP’s European obsession. Indeed, in a recent poll only 3 per cent named the European Union as an important political issue. Since UKIP’s poll rating hovers at 4 per cent, this suggests that at least a quarter even of the party’s current supporters think it is being a bit of a bore. So the party has decided to change the subject. It will campaign on immigration.

It is, therefore, stirring racial discontent, for its own electoral benefit and this is reprehensible. Calling for withdrawal from the EU is respectable, if wrong-headed. Increasing fear and misunderstanding between communities is not.

The reasons it gives for its policy are transparently disingenuous. They claim that the burka marginalises women. This is a new concern for UKIP. It is, after all, the party of Godfrey Bloom, the MEP who says that “any small businessman or woman who employs a woman of child-bearing age needs their head examined”. Perhaps Mr Bloom, who thinks that women do not clean behind the fridge enough, worries that their burkas are getting in the way.

UKIP argues further that the burka has no place in Islam and that the religion does not require it. The Times had not hitherto realised that Nigel Farage was an authority on such matters, or that the party leader Lord Pearson of Rannoch, who was visited by God when on the operating table in 1977, thereby gained not only his Christian faith but also a mastery of the Koran. This newly acquired scholarship notwithstanding, the religious insights of politicians are entirely irrelevant when judging the right of British citizens to dress as they wish.

The most offensive UKIP assertion is that wearing the burka is inconsistent with British values. Advocates of the policy then point out (without irony) that the French, whose example is rarely cited elsewhere in UKIP literature, are trying to implement a similar policy.

What is inconsistent with British values is picking on people quietly going about their business in religious garb of their own choice and banning it. If UKIP properly understood this country, it would appreciate that. There are Islamists who doubtless wish to ban Eurosceptics wearing tweed jackets over v-neck jumpers and checked shirts. And The Times would defend UKIP against such calls because freedom to worship, and freedom of speech, is the British value that matters above all others.

Source

Life_Is_Short
01-16-2010, 08:52 PM
The few uneducated people might vote for them but i doubt that they will ever come into power. If they do my family will leave britain and the huge taxes my parents pay will be lost.:raging:

abu salaahudeen
01-16-2010, 09:00 PM
freedom???? What a joke

where did the freedom go when women voluntarily wish to wear the islaamic dress?

France has proved that there is no such thing as freedom rather subjugation to the desires of man

democracy hypocricy

جوري
01-16-2010, 09:22 PM
I must admit, I love the European struggle for identity.. This is a promise of Allah swt being fulfilled.. that Islam pervade Europe without a sword.
For folks who don't believe in islamic prophecies they sure are running off like chickens with their heads cut off..

:w:

Supreme
01-17-2010, 01:02 AM
UKIP have chosen to go down the BNP route, and are easily trying to make some policies aside from European integration. I always considered and recommended UKIP a safer and more liberal party with less extreme views than the BNP to potential BNP voters, but it looks like I may no longer be able to do that.

Uthman
01-17-2010, 02:05 PM
UKIP chief Nigel Farage calls for burka ban

The burka and other face-covering veils worn by Muslim women should be banned, the UK Independence Party says.

Ex-UKIP leader Nigel Farage, who leads UKIP's 13 MEPs in Brussels, told the BBC's Politics Show they were a symbol of an "increasingly divided Britain".

He also said they "oppressed" women and were a potential security threat.

But Schools Secretary Ed Balls said it was "not British" to tell people what to wear in the street, and accused UKIP of indulging in "unpleasant politics".
Some European countries, including France, are debating banning the burka, but the issue has sparked controversy when it has been raised in the UK.

UKIP is the first British party to call for a total ban, after the BNP called for it to be banned in Britain's schools.

'Different culture'

But Mr Farage said: "I can't go into a bank with a motorcycle helmet on. I can't wear a balaclava going round the District and Circle line.

As long as they are not imposing it on anybody else they should have the right to wear it

Salma Yaqoob, Respect leader

"What we are saying is, this is a symbol. It's a symbol of something that is used to oppress women. It is a symbol of an increasingly divided Britain.

"And the real worry - and it isn't just about what people wear - the real worry is that we are heading towards a situation where many of our cities are ghettoised and there is even talk about Sharia law becoming part of British culture."

A "different" culture was "being forced on parts of Britain and nobody wants that", added Mr Farage, but he denied the policy was an attempt to grab votes from the BNP, insisting it had "nothing to do with the BNP".

"There is nothing extreme or radical or ridiculous about this, but we can't go on living in a divided society," he told The Politics Show.

He said his party was seeking to ban "covering of the face in public places and public buildings" but said it had not yet worked out such a ban would be enforced.

Mr Balls said he was not surprised by Mr Farage's latest policy announcement, but he said no "sensible" or "mainstream" party in Britain would back a ban on face veils.

'Freedom of speech'

He told The Politics Show: "I wouldn't want to be part of a religion myself where we said to women and girls you have to wear a veil, but I also would not want to be in the kind of society where people were told how to dress when they walked down the streets.

"So the idea that we would tell people that you cannot wear a veil in public, I think that's not British, it's unfair, it's not consistent with our traditions of liberty and freedom."

Salma Yaqoob, leader of the anti-war Respect party, also criticised UKIP's proposed ban on the burka.

"I certainly wouldn't want to wear it myself, but then to take it to a step where they are going to ban it because I feel uncomfortable with it is something I would say is very un-British because the British way of life is 'live and let live', freedom of speech, freedom of worship," she said.

"As long as they are not imposing it on anybody else they should have the right to wear it."

UKIP came second in last year's European elections, ahead of the Labour Party, but Mr Farage quit as leader to concentrate on trying to become the party's first MP at Westminster.

His successor, Lord Pearson, has said he wants to step up the party's campaign against radical Islam.

He told the Times the party was taking legal advice on how the burka, or any veil covering a woman's face, could be banned in public places and in private buildings such as airports.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has said the full burka is "not welcome" in France, but did not explicitly call for a ban, saying "no one should feel stigmatised" by any eventual law.

A French parliamentary report on the issue is due out at the end of January.

Source

Uthman
01-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Article from the Telegraph

Supreme
01-17-2010, 02:36 PM
It seems Europe is once again beginning to slowly adopt facism.

History repeats itself- because no one listens.
Lawrence Peter

aamirsaab
01-17-2010, 04:19 PM
:sl:
Just out of curiosity's sake, how many veiled women have any of you guys seen in actual real life in the UK?

To date my veil count is around 50 mark. I've seen a heck of a lot more female muslims without any form of headgear than I have with full veil. And I live in leicester, which is pretty much the single most multi-cultural place in the universe.

At every wedding I have been to, the number of veiled ladies has been negligible. Like 3 out of 200 people.

Even when I went to Makka (THE holiest city in Islam) there weren't THAT many veiled women. I mean, there were veiled muslimahs, but most wore the standard hijab.

My point is: is a ban on veils really neccessary?

Supreme
01-17-2010, 04:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Just out of curiosity's sake, how many veiled women have any of you guys seen in actual real life in the UK?

To date my veil count is around 50 mark. I've seen a heck of a lot more female muslims without any form of headgear than I have with full veil. And I live in leicester, which is pretty much the single most multi-cultural place in the universe.

At every wedding I have been to, the number of veiled ladies has been negligible. Like 3 out of 200 people.

Even when I went to Makka (THE holiest city in Islam) there weren't THAT many veiled women. I mean, there were veiled muslimahs, but most wore the standard hijab.

My point is: is a ban on veils really neccessary?
No. The UK is not going to look like Saudi Arabia any time soon, because even though there are around two million Muslims here, only half of them are women, and of those women, not many actually wear the Burka regularly. I've seen around ten women in my lifetime wearing the Burka? If that. The sighting have all been in Central London, and I saw a couple last time at London Zoo. Mind you, I did see a Sephardic Jewish male with a those locks of hair and a what looked like a Catholic priest wearing a massive crucifix and red skull cap (for some reason) at the Zoo so the women weren't completely alone in crazy religious wear! I dont't suspect that in that sense the ban will affect a great deal of people, but it does seem like an attack on Islamic culture, and rightly it will be percieved that way.

AlHoda
01-17-2010, 07:20 PM
What I don't understand is that there is no Sharia law in these western countries. These countries are kaafir countries, why would they want to apply Sharia law if they do not even believe in Islam? :confused: Why are they so afraid of the Sharia law if no-one is actually imposing it?
:wa:

Amadeus85
01-17-2010, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=Supreme;1278873]
It seems Europe is once again beginning to slowly adopt facism.

History repeats only as farse ;)

sisterfirdous
01-17-2010, 10:48 PM
what a perfect time to start thinking about wearing the niqab!

Uthman
01-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Banning of burkas is oppressive, says the Respect leader Salma Yaqoob

Raaina
01-18-2010, 03:04 PM
My Burka count for the UK is about 5. I don't think i've actually ever seen anyone in London in a Burka!

I hardly think it is a necessity to ban it.

UKIP just as bad as the BNP it seems - Will also be just as unsucessful :D

Salahudeen
01-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Why can't people have the freedom to wear what they want :(

Raaina
01-18-2010, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
Yeah, I never understood why they can't either imsad

Skavau
01-18-2010, 04:03 PM
I am a bit upset with the UKIP party. I was hoping they'd be just like a more Eurosceptic political party version of the Conservatives, however they appear to have completely changed.

Keep in mind though, that they won't be elected. Not so long ago their newly elected leader said that if we more or less left the European Union or held a referendum on the Lisbon treaty that they would disband as their mission would be complete. Just the fact that they've admitted they were a one-issue party after years of pretending otherwise will demolish their vote support.

Unfortunately, it'll go to the BNP.

Supreme
01-18-2010, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
Clothes can be offensive; the burka may be offensive to conservatives in the UK, and if a female went to Saudi Arabia dressed in a short skirt and belly revealing T-shirt, no doubt the people there would be offended. If you wore an American military uniform in Iran the authorities may be offended. Different clothes offend different peoples and cultures- that's just the way it is. However, the real issue here is that the Burka doesn't offend the majority of Britons- some may view it as ridiculous, others may view it as extreme, but only feminists and those on the far right can actually lay claim to it being offensive, and these are not the majority of people. In addition, the Niqaab is seldom ever worn by Muslims in the UK- as I previously mentioned, I've only ever seen the Burka worn around 10 times. It's hardly a major concern for the majority of people.

cat eyes
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
haha theres nothing in there law thats written that wearing certain clothes is a crime. the sisters should wear there niqaabs they cant do anything.. what can they honestly do?? throw them in prison?? those british people make me laugh. i mean this is just hilarious

Supreme
01-18-2010, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
haha theres nothing in there law thats written that wearing certain clothes is a crime. the sisters should wear there niqaabs they cant do anything.. what can they honestly do?? throw them in prison?? those british people make me laugh. i mean this is just hilarious
Oh yes, people are having their rights threatened, utterly hilarious!

cat eyes
01-18-2010, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Oh yes, people are having their rights threatened, utterly hilarious!
your government is going to be a laughing stock when these stupid rule is put into place thats what i mean! when Queens and princesses were dressing modest for centuries and not coming in front of any strange man only her husband. a woman can't dress modest, yet people are allowed to walk the streets naked and thats why so many young girls get raped and attacked

Supreme
01-18-2010, 06:14 PM
your government is going to be a laughing stock when these stupid rule is put into place thats what i mean! when Queens and princesses were dressing modest for centuries and not coming in front of any strange man only her husband.
I disagree with the ban, and it is never going to be put into place. It's a suggestion by a joke of a party.
a woman can't dress modest, yet people are allowed to walk the streets naked and thats why so many young girls get raped and attacked
Wait, what? So it's the woman's fault she's been raped- heck, she deserved to be raped because she was wearing immodest clothing. Is that what you're saying? Just because a woman is not dressing modestly, please don't ever make out it's her fault she got raped. It's the rapist's fault, not the victims. If men weren't so immoral, they wouldn't feel the need to rape women, irregardless of their clothing.

S<Chowdhury
01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
thats why so many young girls get raped and attacked
Dressing in a immodest way and then being intoxicated for instance is dangerous behaviour, they become more of desirable target, of course.

But is it really her fault that a sick man sinned gravely and violated her? It is, however, perhaps partly her fault that she in particular was chosen over another woman.

But I personally would say No, you are blaming the victim completely here, I agree completely with Supreme and ask you the same Q what your saying is if you dress immodestly it gives men the right to rape you ?

cat eyes
01-18-2010, 06:33 PM
I disagree with the ban, and it is never going to be put into place. It's a suggestion by a joke of a party.

Wait, what? So it's the woman's fault she's been raped- heck, she deserved to be raped because she was wearing immodest clothing. Is that what you're saying? Just because a woman is not dressing modestly, please don't ever make out it's her fault she got raped. It's the rapist's fault, not the victims. If men weren't so immoral, they wouldn't feel the need to rape women, irregardless of their clothing.
don't want to get into debate with you now about this because its another topic entirely but yes it is one of the major factors why a woman gets raped. not blaming the woman but the society and its influence. why don't you go to a prison and meet with a prisoner and ask why he rapes he will be sure to tell u it has also been proven that addiction to porn turns men into rapists. but yeah there is some decent men out there who would not touch a woman who is half naked but not all men think like that so why take that risk.

Skavau
01-18-2010, 06:46 PM
don't want to get into debate with you now about this because its another topic entirely but yes it is one of the major factors why a woman gets raped. not blaming the woman but the society and its influence. why don't you go to a prison and meet with a prisoner and ask why he rapes he will be sure to tell u it has also been proven that addiction to porn turns men into rapists. but yeah there is some decent men out there who would not touch a woman who is half naked but not all men think like that so why take that risk.
Uhm, no.

I suspect the converse could be true in some cases. Any statistics?

Muezzin
01-18-2010, 06:48 PM
We may be straying from the topic if we start discussing rape statistics...

S<Chowdhury
01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
A women has a part to play in getting themselves into the risky position, but just because she's dressed immodestly doesn't give men an invitation.

Why should everyone else change because your having "Immoral thoughts"?

Yeah we are straying away from the topic, should start a new thread about this

Supreme
01-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Rubbish. Complete rubbish. Let's start another thread, shall we?

Uthman
01-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Let's start another thread, shall we?
I'd be happy to approve one. :)

Supreme
01-18-2010, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
I'd be happy to approve one. :)
Cheers Uthman, but shouldn't it be in general rather than world affairs?

Uthman
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Cheers Uthman, but shouldn't it be in general rather than world affairs?
Yeah, probz. Forget I said anything. :X

Asiyah3
01-18-2010, 08:14 PM
When will those morons LEAVE US ALONE?!

Some people STRONGLY need a LIFE!

How idotic, and still they speak rubbish about Justice, freedom blaa blaaa

Their "öhöm öhöm our country's values"

How idiotic are their stupid theories...

desert winds
01-20-2010, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
When will those morons LEAVE US ALONE?!

Some people STRONGLY need a LIFE!

How idotic, and still they speak rubbish about Justice, freedom blaa blaaa

Their "öhöm öhöm our country's values"

How idiotic are their stupid theories...
i understand your anger- its like were being attacked and singled out becasue were not naked for all to see!
the goverment is attacking the muslim women due to the way we dress- first it was the viel and now the whole 1 piece which majority of sisters wear-

the point is now- if it is banned what are we suppose to do then? Allah has ordered the believeing women to cover- i am really concerened and would like to know what the sisters feel, what they would do and what the brothers feel about their wives and mothers and sisters in regards to this.

another thing i heard was to ban it form buses- this is the utmost piece of sh!t i have ever heard- what are we suppose to do? take off our coverng when we jump aboard and then jump off and cover ourselves again?

then to ban it form schools- again another sneaky way to enforce a full blown ban-

deepfreeze66
01-21-2010, 03:54 AM
As long as people force nothing on me or my family, they can wear whatever they want!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.