/* */

PDA

View Full Version : schizophrenia

Salahudeen
01-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Aslaam alaykum, someone in my family is exhibiting symptoms of schizophrenia and it's so hard to deal with it. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips, it gets so frustrating trying to make them see sense and come back to reality.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
deepfreeze66
01-21-2010, 02:16 AM
Hello.

You must bring this person to see a medical professional in this field. I'm sorry, but if they are indeed showing signs and becoming more and more schizophrenic, then you can NOT make them snap out of it, there's either a problem with their brains (chemical imbalance), or they inherited it hereditarily.

Please make sure you take them to see a professional ASAP. They could be suffering in their minds already and have no way to express it; you would be doing them a favour if you took them, either way.

I hope all goes well.

syilla
01-21-2010, 02:35 AM
:salamext:

I think it is important for them to eat medicine on time... InshaAllah.

جوري
01-21-2010, 02:39 AM
I just saw this thread..

can you shed some more light?

there are different types of schizophrenia as well different onset, depending on the type, the gender (females fare better) the age and the support the person has, it may be quite transient, unfortunately for some it is a life long struggle, but there have been wonderful strides with medications...

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zacc
01-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Salams

Sorry to hear this, i can understand this is not a easy illness to cope with.

What sort of support is in place at the moment for your relative? am sure he would have had some treatment, but what measures have been put in place for you and your family when you are struggling to cope?

Are you getting support from the Mental Health Team as this can be arranged through your relatives GP. Your relative should be having some visits from the MHT and they also can do referrals to relevant agencies who can give help and support also you can get respite for your relative again this has all got to go through the GP. If things get so hard Crisis Team can be contacted and they are a 24hrs they come under the MHT. All this info can be retained from the GP or your local Walk in Centre.

Try to be patient as it is hard for your relative hearing voices is something no one can understand. This illness has taken over your relative life and this is why you all need to show patience i know it is not easy but think of what he/she is going through.

Hope the above is some help.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-21-2010, 06:15 AM
:sl:
get some professional help for your relative asap.

Salahudeen
01-22-2010, 03:43 PM
salaam, I called the doctor out and he said she's having an "acute episode" and she needs meds to come back to reality and realise that what she is saying is not true. He had a doctor come from the hospital and assesse her, he's presribed her 2mg of Respiridol a day.

I think she's coming back to reality slowly, however some of the delusions are still there. She's only been on the meds since last sunday so I'm hoping she'll realise it's all in her head as time passes.

It's jus so hard cos no matter how much evidence you give to the person to proove that what they're thinking isn't true they still think what's in their head is true. Even if the whole world told him it's not true.

it started 2 weeks ago, but I was trying to make her snap out of it with logic and reason but nothing would work so I ended up calling the doctor out.

a nurse comes to our house every day now and gives her the medication. but now that she's got a little better they're cutting their visits down.

It's such a horrible illness to have, how did they used to deal with such people before there was advances in medicine? like in the time of the prophet pbuh?

You feel so isolated and alone when some 1 is going through this in your family.

syilla
01-22-2010, 04:02 PM
salams akhee,

inshaallah she'll be ok. because of your fast action inshaAllah she'll be ok in a few weeks. i don't think you can say anything to prove what she's imagining is not true... i've once had a grand auntie who thinks there were ants living inside her ears..and she don't believe any of our words. till she been hospitalised.

just be there and take care of her till she is better. don't forget to monitor her activities. may Allah reward your effort trmendously :)

Rabi'ya
01-22-2010, 04:06 PM

brother, although I cannot relate directly, i understand what you are going through. there is a distinct lack of support from the community when a member of your family has a chronic illness.. I will pray for their good health inshallah.

i only with the community was moer accepting and understanding of different kinds of health issues. it can indeed be isolating.

UmmSqueakster
01-22-2010, 05:02 PM
wa alaikum assalam,

Here in the US, we have some support groups for families of people with mental illnesses *consults google*

http://wwww.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/carersupport/ <-- specifically for carers, but maybe they'd know about something for family members?

http://www.rethink.org/how_we_can_he...or_groups.html

http://www.sane.org.uk/

If they are someone close to you, especially if they live in the same house, be there to encourage them to take their meds. It might seem simple, but sometimes the medications can make the patient feel cruddy, and they'll stop taking it for one reason or another. If you provide them support and are there when they're feeling down, inshaAllah that will help them to stay on the right track.

Salahudeen
01-22-2010, 10:54 PM
jazakallah khair for all your replies

Alpha Dude
01-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

Bro, what exactly is the nature of the delusions? Like she imagines people are out to get her or something along them lines?

Salahudeen
01-22-2010, 11:00 PM
^yes, people are out to get her, and people are recording her, and people are testing her, and she thinks every 1 is looking at her when she goes out, and every 1 is talking about her and everyone in the city knows her secrets. And all our relatives are gossiping about her she thinks.

and hearing voices and thinks there's demons walking around the house. and the police are trying to get her and people are trying to set her up.

all those ^ :( I'm hoping with time and the meds she will come back to Earth.

Trumble
01-22-2010, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
salaam, I called the doctor out and he said she's having an "acute episode" and she needs meds to come back to reality and realise that what she is saying is not true. He had a doctor come from the hospital and assesse her, he's presribed her 2mg of Respiridol a day.

I think she's coming back to reality slowly, however some of the delusions are still there. She's only been on the meds since last sunday so I'm hoping she'll realise it's all in her head as time passes.

It's jus so hard cos no matter how much evidence you give to the person to proove that what they're thinking isn't true they still think what's in their head is true. Even if the whole world told him it's not true.

it started 2 weeks ago, but I was trying to make her snap out of it with logic and reason but nothing would work so I ended up calling the doctor out.

a nurse comes to our house every day now and gives her the medication. but now that she's got a little better they're cutting their visits down.

It's such a horrible illness to have, how did they used to deal with such people before there was advances in medicine? like in the time of the prophet pbuh?

You feel so isolated and alone when some 1 is going through this in your family.

I feel for you acutely, as I am currently experiencing a very similar situation with my father, triggered by the death of my mother a few weeks ago.

The good news is that she is taking the Respiridol, which should hopefully do the trick (tip to anyone else collecting a prescription for that, ask the pharmacist to omit the leaflet saying what and who it's for from the box!). Monitor her carefully to make sure she keeps taking it for the prescribed duration. In my father's case, he refused to take it but time alone seems to be doing the trick, and he slowly seems to be shedding his own particular delusions in favour of acknowledging his grief.

I think that's he answer to your last question, in the Prophet's time people would probably recover given time, care and understanding. Unfortunately, for many hundreds of years after that and even up to today, very often that isn't the case. Your relative is obviously very lucky to have you on their side.

Salahudeen
01-22-2010, 11:28 PM
^ thank you, it's nice to meet some 1 in similar shoes, does your father hate to take Respiridol?? Like do you have to keep telling him to take it because he's very reluctant to.

with my mum I have to threaten her with the mental home otherwise she doesn't take it :( eventually she takes it. But she says they make her feel like a zombie, we asked the doctor and he said that's just a side affect at the beginning and if she keeps on taking it eventually it won't make her feel like a zombie.

how do they make your dad feel? :hmm:

Trumble
01-23-2010, 12:21 AM
No, he took a couple of doses of Respiridol initially as he thought his GP had prescribed them as 'sleeping pills', but then he found out what they are usually prescribed for (as an anti-psychotic) and then refused to take them. The only side-effect he associated with them was a dry cough (which doesn't seem to be a usual one). He wouldn't even take bona fide sleeping pills after that and even accused me of trying to 'drug' him; I'd been staying at his house since my mother died to organise the funeral and help him out. What you say is right, though, according to what the GP said to me; if the correct dose is taken regularly it should help the problem over a few weeks without the 'zombie' effect you describe persisting. I think that's only a problem usually with fairly high doses, although no doubt Skye will correct me if I'm wrong.

To be honest, I think both I and he recognised that my being there was more problem than part of the solution, he was looking on me as a 'carer' for him in the same way my mother had. I'll be visiting frequently, of course, but at the moment I agreed with the medical professionals it was best to let him try and sort himself out and come to terms with his grief (and leave me space to do the same). He is being monitored daily, but both the GP and the psychiatric team seem to think he will be OK; it will just take time.

Salahudeen
01-23-2010, 12:56 AM
hmmm it must be worrying for you, I know when I go out to uni and my mum is at home by herself all day I worry like mad thinking about what she's getting upto. She is being monitored daily also, some 1 from the hospital comes and gives her the medication and then goes.

But now they're saying she's getting better so they're gonna start decreasing the visits, the problem is when they stop coming she doesn't take her medication and refuses when I try to give it to her.

Woodrow
01-23-2010, 01:21 AM
From reading this it sounds like an acute episode of paranoid Schiz. The good part is an acute onset in adults is often the only episode and was probably triggered by something specific.

The biggest difficulty is the amount of delusional thinking that may be taking place. The delusions will make all thoughts and actions plausible and logical.

It is a medical problem and usually excellent results are obtained through medication. The biggest difficulty is the first month or so of getting used to the meds. The person will often believe somebody is poisoning them.

Salahudeen
01-23-2010, 12:35 PM
she had a previous episode in July last year, she came out of it eventually with meds I believe, but she stopped taking them as soon as she got better and now she's had another 1.

the strange thing is I've tried reminding her of last time she had an episode and telling her it's exactly the same "remember last time it was all in your head, it's happening again" but it doesn't work.

Santoku
01-23-2010, 12:52 PM
she had a previous episode in July last year, she came out of it eventually with meds I believe, but she stopped taking them as soon as she got better and now she's had another 1.

the strange thing is I've tried reminding her of last time she had an episode and telling her it's exactly the same "remember last time it was all in your head, it's happening again" but it doesn't work.
Check with your doctor to see if the tablets can be crushed or if there is a liquid version, both could then be concealed in other foods or drinks.

Muhammad
01-23-2010, 01:11 PM

I'm very sorry to hear what both of you are going through - it must be extremely difficult to cope with this. I hope that all will go well Insha'Allaah.

squiggle - remember to make plenty of du'aa and never give up hope in Allaah (swt). May He (swt) grant your mother complete shifaa, Aameen.

جوري
01-23-2010, 05:46 PM

I am sorry, I have been away for this weekend and couldn't keep up with any posts...

schizophrenia is a diagnosis made after at least 6 months of experiencing a certain set of symptoms.
so 1- Trumble I don't believe that what your father has is frank schizophrenia rather an acute psychotic episode triggered by the passing of your mother (and I am sorry for your loss)
2- There are a number of good meds that cover a variety of symptoms, hence a person who is agitated or briefly psychotic or in full fledged schizophrenia maybe treated with the same med.

in order for a person to be treated for very specific symptoms (negative or positive) symptoms they really have to be properly diagnosed since the atypical anti-psychotics have seriously horrible side effects that range from aplastic anemia (with clozapine) to progressive pigmentation of areas of skin or conjunctiva and/or discoloration of the exposed sclera and cornea to extrapyramidal side affects.. so hopefully your sr. will recover soon insha'Allah on what she is prescribed and not have to go on this full term.

can you give me a bit more history? if there were a trigger? how old she is? and how long she has been having these sx.?

Jazaka Allah khyran

Salahudeen
01-23-2010, 06:04 PM
hmm she's 39 the first episode took place in 2005, she went into a mental hospital for 3 weeks as she was very bad when the first episode occurred, she was jumping out of windows.

then she became better for 4 years till July 2009, there was an incident that caused many of our relatives to gossip, when ever they would meet her they would ask her questions relating to the incident and if it was true then she became delusional and started thinking strangers in the street were asking her about it. For example a shop keeper who has no links or ties with the family. And she would think people were looking at her strangely and in a bad way cos they knew about the incident.

from that 1 incident she went deeper and depper untill eventually she came out with ludacris far fetched ideas.

This latest episode occurred 2 days after I was rude to her and she kept thinking I was going to leave her and from there she went deeper into other things like people are recording her and watching her.

جوري
01-23-2010, 06:26 PM
hmm she's 39 the first episode took place in 2005, she went into a mental hospital for 3 weeks as she was very bad when the first episode occurred, she was jumping out of windows.

then she became better for 4 years till July 2009, there was an incident that caused many of our relatives to gossip, when ever they would meet her they would ask her questions relating to the incident and if it was true then she became delusional and started thinking strangers in the street were asking her about it. For example a shop keeper who has no links or ties with the family. And she would think people were looking at her strangely and in a bad way cos they knew about the incident.

from that 1 incident she went deeper and depper untill eventually she came out with ludacris far fetched ideas.

This latest episode occurred 2 days after I was rude to her and she kept thinking I was going to leave her and from there she went deeper into other things like people are recording her and watching her.

so since 2005 she has been this way, or she had one episode and just now she relapsed?
I have to advise that you keep her away from gossip, since any small trigger can really be very damaging for her, in fact people do so much better if they are in a supportive environment, rather than one that feeds into their suspicions. How is her social status? and is she currently seeing a psychiatrist. One can't make the diagnosis of schizophrenia until a person has been in this state for a continuous of six months.. that being said if she has been like this since 2005 then I do fear that she is indeed a schizophrenic. depending on which type you might expect either a worsening of symptoms or a possible improvement. and with that I need you to read this to shed light on difference and possibly treatment.

with that said, I can't emphasize two things enough.
1- keep her away from any triggers (especially gossipy people) and to such people, ask them to fear Allah swt since no one is immune from disease
2- try to deal with her as normally as possible.
3- if there is persistence then you need to discuss options of atypical anti-psychotics with her doc and see if something else might be more suitable for her

and Allah swt knows best

Salahudeen
01-23-2010, 06:31 PM
No ukhti she hasn't been this way since 2005, the first episode was in 2005 and she was well for 4 years till July 2009. And only last year she relapsed. She's under increasing pressure to get married as years pass and she gets older. I think that may have been a cause also cos every 1 she meets keeps asking her "how come your not married yet?" like there's somethign wrong with her for not being married. thank you for your advice.

I know when her mum died in 2003 things went down hill from there, she just lost her motivation in life her "get up and go" it was 2 years after her mum died the first episode happened. I know she was depressed for those 2 years prior to the first episode cos of the death of her mother.

It sounds like she has Paranoid schizophrenia, as she keeps thinking things that aren't true.

جوري
01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
No ukhti she hasn't been this way since 2005, the first episode was in 2005 and she was well for 4 years till July 2009. And only last year she relapsed. She's under increasing pressure to get married as years pass and she gets older. I think that may have been a cause also cos every 1 she meets keeps asking her "how come your not married yet?" like there's somethign wrong with her for not being married. thank you for your advice.

I know when her mum died in 2003 things went down hill from there, she just lost her motivation in life her "get up and go" it was 2 years after her mum died the first episode happened. I know she was depressed for those 2 years prior to the first episode cos of the death of her mother.

It sounds like she has Paranoid schizophrenia, as she keeps thinking things that aren't true.

akhi,
like I said the diagnosis of schizophrenia can't be made unless she has had the sx for 6 months straight. having one brief psychotic episode can very well be an isolated incident. but the secret really is to how she comes out of this relapse.

I really think that whomever is her wali, should keep her away from ignorant people. Folks get married at all kinds of ages, divorcees get married, young old, there is no 'time limit' one of my aunts got married in her forties. I realize there is alot of stigma but it is because people are plain ignorant and they never give others a break, as if they have guaranteed that life won't come and bite them in the ass. Perhaps the secret is that if/when she gets married, she can marry from a different culture, perhaps a divorcee or a widower (though certainly not a criteria) but just as an example of the many people looking for a partner. my uncle was widowed last year and he has three kids his wife was in her forties when she passed away-- I know he is in no mood for a marriage now, but I know my aunts are looking for a wife for him to help him with the kids and whatnot since he holds two jobs and can't be a full time parent or even a part time.. the youngest of his kids is 10 or 11. so what can I tell you, there are tons of people out there with many problems that I am surprised at all when I hear of people passing judgment on others and perhaps actively sending them into a state of depression or psychosis. People like that should fear Allah and I know there is no shortage of them. I hope that no one immediately around her is adding stress to her or making her feel like there is something wrong with her, she needs to get back to normalcy without added stressors please...

may Allah swt grant her shifa

Woodrow
01-23-2010, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
akhi,
like I said the diagnosis of schizophrenia can't be made unless she has had the sx for 6 months straight. having one brief psychotic episode can very well be an isolated incident. but the secret really is to how she comes out of this relapse.

I really think that whomever is her wali, should keep her away from ignorant people. Folks get married at all kinds of ages, divorcees get married, young old, there is no 'time limit' one of my aunts got married in her forties. I realize there is alot of stigma but it is because people are plain ignorant and they never give others a break, as if they have guaranteed that life won't come and bite them in the ass. Perhaps the secret is that if/when she gets married, she can marry from a different culture, perhaps a divorcee or a widower (though certainly not a criteria) but just as an example of the many people looking for a partner. my uncle was widowed last year and he has three kids his wife was in her forties when she passed away-- I know he is in no mood for a marriage now, but I know my aunts are looking for a wife for him to help him with the kids and whatnot since he holds two jobs and can't be a full time parent or even a part time.. the youngest of his kids is 10 or 11. so what can I tell you, there are tons of people out there with many problems that I am surprised at all when I hear of people passing judgment on others and perhaps actively sending them into a state of depression or psychosis. People like that should fear Allah and I know there is no shortage of them. I hope that no one immediately around her is adding stress to her or making her feel like there is something wrong with her, she needs to get back to normalcy without added stressors please...

may Allah swt grant her shifa

I agree with your suggestions and those seem to be the best course. But, reading back through the posts I have a feeling there is either a misdiagnosis or at the moment the diagnosis is a tentative one only for the purpose of a starting point for treatment.

In my opinion this is starting to look more like slow cycle, Type 2 Bi-polar. I think it would be advisable for somebody to discuss with the doctor any behavior changes or mood swings noticed. Fortunately, the initial medications for either condition are beneficial for either and can be changed after a more defined diagnosis is made.

Salahudeen
01-23-2010, 09:51 PM
hmm so you guys think she is bi polar?? because she is a very depressed person and feels unhappy with her life, lacks motivation also. and it's been like that since her mum died.

And the med risperidal does seem to bring her back down to Earth eventually, I need to talk with her doctor he and ask him what is his official diagnosis. She could well be bi polar. Because she comes out of these episodes and goes without medication for months but falls into an episode at some point.

جوري
01-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Br. woodrow has a doctorate in psychology, I don't, I can tell you however that schizophrenia is a diagnosis made based on an amount of time.. it could be any number of things including Schizophreniform disorder .. and you can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophreniform_disorder

but I think you need to have a word with her diagnosing physician and see in which way she can be helped out of this. I can tell you for a fact that the environment she finds herself in could very well be a contributing factor to her psychosis..

and Allah swt knows best

cat eyes
01-24-2010, 11:00 PM
:sl: well from reading what your mum is going through i believe she has a mixture of everything because when my brother had depression he was also thinking people were trying to attack him and stupid things like this, people whom he didn't even know. well i over all agree with uncle woodrow and aunty skye especially about keeping her away from ignorant people like that can trigger it off

Trumble
01-25-2010, 12:26 PM
so 1- Trumble I don't believe that what your father has is frank schizophrenia rather an acute psychotic episode triggered by the passing of your mother (and I am sorry for your loss)
Absolutely; I wasn't referring to the title thread, although I'm sure you'll understand why I wanted to contribute.

Many thanks to both you and Woodrow for your comments, you guys are the best. You do try and talk to the local GPs, and ultimately you have to go along with their opinion 'on the spot', but they never really seem to have enough time either to talk or to observe the patient (as I and squiggle have done with our respective relatives). Seeing the views of other, unconnected, professionals is most helpful.

Something else I will say to squiggle, make sure you are getting the medical attention and care YOU need. Don't just try to carry on regardless out of a sense of duty if you feel you cannot cope. I overlooked that completely until my fiance pointed out my own behaviour was becoming increasingly irrational and manic on occasion, and it was only then I sought help on my own behalf, and obtained an appropriate prescription.

Take care.

Salahudeen
01-25-2010, 01:18 PM
I feel like I can't cope often but don't know what to do, I can't have her put in a mental home, the home vists from the team at the hospital are helpfull I guess but feeling like it's a full time job and constantly worried when I'm at uni about what she's getting upto.

I've lost control of myself on few occasions and lashed out due to frustration :( my bedroom door has 2 dents in it now :( then come the tears :(

جوري
01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Absolutely; I wasn't referring to the title thread, although I'm sure you'll understand why I wanted to contribute.

Many thanks to both you and Woodrow for your comments, you guys are the best. You do try and talk to the local GPs, and ultimately you have to go along with their opinion 'on the spot', but they never really seem to have enough time either to talk or to observe the patient (as I and squiggle have done with our respective relatives). Seeing the views of other, unconnected, professionals is most helpful.

Something else I will say to squiggle, make sure you are getting the medical attention and care YOU need. Don't just try to carry on regardless out of a sense of duty if you feel you cannot cope. I overlooked that completely until my fiance pointed out my own behaviour was becoming increasingly irrational and manic on occasion, and it was only then I sought help on my own behalf, and obtained an appropriate prescription.

Take care.
Yes of course, GP's are what we call 'gate keepers' in medicine, they know about everything but don't specialize in anything to their knowledge is basic, they see someone behaving oddly and instead of looking for a host of triggers some which can be simple street drugs they pass on such a serious diagnosis. In fact this is exactly the time when they should offer a referral.
certainly there are reasons why folks specialize in this particular field of medicine, and I really think that people with psychiatric conditions need alot more than the fifteen minute consult.
intense grief.. there is such a thing as Grief reactive psychosis (longer than a day but less than a month) sometimes elderly patients taking certain meds can display psychotic episodes, like 'anti-histamines' just those regular over the counter allergy pills. Sometimes even hypothyroidism causes abnormal behavior and in fact I urge you if your father is over 50 that you ask his GP to do a TSH test because you need to rule out a medical cause before a psychiatric one!

so I hope you keep us updated on his condition and just know that going in with basic knowledge of his condition or triggers will demand better care from your GP, in other words ask questions, ask, could this be hypothyroidism? could this be a normal grief reaction? could this be some medication? That way you'll force him to be on top of things or at least refer you to someone who is on top of things.
I feel like I can't cope often but don't know what to do, I can't have her put in a mental home, the home vists from the team at the hospital are helpfull I guess but feeling like it's a full time job and constantly worried when I'm at uni about what she's getting upto.

I've lost control of myself on few occasions and lashed out due to frustration :( my bedroom door has 2 dents in it now :( then come the tears :(
Can you get someone else to help your sister while you are at uni? someone understanding? the worst thing you can do for her really is lash out or dump her in some joint that isn't familiar to her and hope that they take care of her.. try to put a temporary ad for a nurse sitter for a couple of weeks or so. I don't know how such things work in England, but you can get a home visiting nurse for the hours you are away.. and at the same time have a good talk with her doctor to see what can be done to help her along insha'Allah..

and Allah swt knows best

Salahudeen
01-25-2010, 07:06 PM
^it's my mum sis skye who's ill not my sister, and I'm her only child, she's had a very lonely life just been the two of us. Really wish I had a brother or sister that could watch her also and share the stress with me.

I'm going to speak with the hospital if they can send a nurse to watch her while I'm at uni however they may say it's not neccessary as she isn't a danger to herself or anyone else.

you're right a 15 minute consult isn't enough :(

cat eyes
01-25-2010, 07:35 PM
:sl:they cant say that bro. they have to give her care while your away if they told you that, you can take them to court for neglect! its schizphrenia. its a very serious disease not like other mental illnesses you get..its totally different. the person is a danger to themselves and others. you know a woman who lived near my family.. she was a single mother with two kids she was suffering from depression from a long time she went to the hospital to seek help and the nurse told her there is nobody on duty now and we believe your problem is not serious the next morning she rang a taxi and took her two kids to a beach.

she tied both her children to herself and drowned both herself and her kids. there bodies were found the next day. i know its a very depressing story and you probably don't want to hear it but my point is they can not neglect you its as simple as that. laws are being strictly changed now

KittenLover
01-26-2010, 12:50 AM
^ that's so sad :( does anyone know how long the anti psychotic drugs usually take to have an impact upon the person and relieve their symptoms?

syilla
01-26-2010, 01:00 AM
^it's my mum sis skye who's ill not my sister, and I'm her only child, she's had a very lonely life just been the two of us. Really wish I had a brother or sister that could watch her also and share the stress with me.

I'm going to speak with the hospital if they can send a nurse to watch her while I'm at uni however they may say it's not neccessary as she isn't a danger to herself or anyone else.

Salams...

You should ask someone who can baby sit her for awhile... get a friend that will help you InshaAllah. :)

If not just ask around the neighbourhood...InshaAllah there will be one or two good neighbours that you can rely on :)

Ummu Sufyaan
01-26-2010, 04:58 AM

i haven't read all this thread, so forgive me if i repeat anything. don't you have a relative or neighbor that can look after her when you are unable to. are you able to do your degree by correspondence...if not, why don't you consider taking uni part time...tackle only a few courses/units at a time so that you have more time on your hands.

make dua for both you and your mum as well as getting professional help for her. please don't frustrated and lash out at her :( she doesn't realise what she is doing :(

EDIT: i dont know much about schiz, but judging by your posts akhee squiggle that it seems that certain people seem to "aggravate" it...check with the doc, and if this is the case, i think its best you get her away from these insensitive weirdos and/or get them away.

Woodrow
01-27-2010, 03:17 AM
One of the biggest helps in all mental edisorders is an opportunity to do something constructive. Many places have sheltered workshops. They not only provide a safe understanding environment. they also give a chance to earn an income. Sometime it becomes a stepping stone to higher paid employment.

But, it does a person a lot of good to earn some income that they have something to donate to a favorite charity. If either of you can get your loved one into a sheltered workshop, encourage them to donate a small portion to a charity. Be certain it is a small portion, as too much will defeat the purpose of them having the needed responsibility to pay as much of their own living expenses as possible. Up to 75% of their earnings should go to supporting their need and at least 20% for self wants the remaining 5% divided between charity and savings.

syilla
01-27-2010, 04:17 AM
^^^ salams... US is so lucky.... the welfare department is well structured compared to Malaysia

Salahudeen
01-27-2010, 08:59 PM
the doctor said he's going to up her dosage to 4 mg a day cos the voices aren't going :(

abu_musab461
01-27-2010, 10:28 PM
sometimes its not a medical illness at all and hence medication does not improve the situation...

Salahudeen
01-27-2010, 10:53 PM
^ good point akhi, we're trying other means as well like water that I've recited ruqya over all though my recitation isn't good so I don't know if it'll have any effect. and 3 hours of listening to Qur'an daily.

but I just want all the bases/angles covered, so if it is mental illness the medication will help, if it's sihr the ruqya treatment will help inshallah.

Woodrow
01-27-2010, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abu_musab461
sometimes its not a medical illness at all and hence medication does not improve the situation...
It is true there are mental disorders that are not a medical issue and can be the result of behavior disorders, situational related problems, substance abuse, brain trauma etc. But, the majority of Mental disorders have a medical basis and in general are very similar to diabetes but related to other body chemicals/hormones/neuro transmitters etc besides insulin or in addition to insulin. The first step in diagnosing and treating a psychiatric disorder is to first identify if there is evidence of psychosis. If a psychosis is identifid the next step is to find if it was sudden onset or if it was a gradual worsening of symptoms, then to try to identify the most prevelant psychosis. Based on that a tentative diagonosis is made of the most likely disorder present and minimal treatment is begun. If there are no expected changes in a few days the next most likely treatment is begun. The final diagnosis is usually made by process of elimination. It can be a slow process and part of the criteria for some diagnosis does depend on multiple hospitalizations for psychotic episodes.

Salahudeen
01-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Brother woodrow I'm interested to know how have mental disorders been treated through out the generations, before we had all these drugs what was the plight of a person with a mental dis order, what forms of treatment were used through out time. There's no cure for mental dis orders is there, only treatment of the symptoms with drugs.

Also is there any tests to see if it's actually a problem with the brain, like a chemical in balance.

The first step in diagnosing and treating a psychiatric disorder is to first identify if there is evidence of psychosis.
would this be done by observing the person's actions and asking them questions? or would it be achieved by running tests on the person?

Woodrow
01-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Brother woodrow I'm interested to know how have mental disorders been treated through out the generations, before we had all these drugs what was the plight of a person with a mental dis order, what forms of treatment were used through out time. There's no cure for mental dis orders is there, only treatment of the symptoms with drugs.

Treatment as it is known today is very recent. For the most part mental illness was not recognizd as an illness until the early 1900s when Freud demonstrated that human behavior could be measurd and the fields of psychiatry/psychology became recognized as science and not a field of philosophy. From about the mid 1700s to the mid 1900s people with mental illnesses were incarcerated usually for life in mental institutions. Most lived in very barbaric conditions. Prior to that they often faced torture or death. Some early treatments were shock therapy either electric, chemical or mechanical. Shock treatment did prove to be of use for some forms of depression and is still used, but not in the barbaric methods of the past. The goal of shock treatment is to produce seizures similar to epilepsy. this can disrupt the memory connections and alleviate some forms of depression. today when it is used the patient is sedated and very carefully monitored levels of electric current ar used. Most are unaware it took place and the normal side effect is drowsiness for a few days. Some people do experience a moderate headache on the second or third day after the treatment.

Bedlam hospital had devised all kinds of sphisticted tortures in the belief a person could be forced back to normality.

Often the afflicted were mistakenly thought to be possessed and various operations were tried to "remove" the evil spirits.

Possession is a rligious concern and is not related to medical disorders.

In about the 1950s prefrontal lobotomies were tried as a cure for the "Criminaly Insane" about all it did was ruin lives.

Today once a diagnosis is made the preferred treatment will be the use of anti-depressants, ant-psychotics, mood stabilizers and even insulin, or some heart medications. the specific medications being based on the person's symptoms and general health.

The affective and behavior disorders usually do not have a medical basis and often can be treated and cured with behavior modification, relaxation, and religion.

In my lifetime treatment has made great advances, when I was a boy institutionalization was the option of choice. By the time I reached my undergrad days tranquilizers and anti-psychotics came into being and removed the need of long term institutionalization for many. Over the next 40 years vn more advances were mad and today long term institutionalization is seldom needed and many affected people can lead long, productive normal lives with at the worse a temporary relapse every few years, often that can be handled with simply changing the dosage of the meds. For many disorders there are high hopes that medicine is very close to actual cures, for chronic depression, some forms of Schizophrenia and Bi-polar disorder.

hanif_
01-28-2010, 06:59 AM

Akhi Woodrow:

That is a very insightful post.

26:80 (Y. Ali) "And when I am ill, it is He Who cures me;

3:186 (Y. Ali) Ye shall certainly be tried and tested in your possessions and in your personal selves; and ye shall certainly Hear much that will grieve you, from those who received the Book before you and from those who worship many gods. But if ye persevere patiently, and guard against evil,-then that will be a determining factor in all affairs.

Pychiatrist's are known to promote using anti-psychotics like Seroquel or Risperdal to stablize the schizophrenic condition. There have been rare cases reported were some people have used the medication initially and then discontinued using them and were OK. I would advise anyone with any illnesses physically or mentally to seek professional assistance and guidance.

Salahudeen
01-29-2010, 11:03 PM
well the doctor's upped the dosage to 4mg, my mum took it and said it feels like there's a clamp on her brain, like her brain is being gripped and hurt. and she's not going to take 4 mg again.

I did feel she was improving slightly each day on 2mg but the doctor said he wants to find her therapeutic dosage and we will try 4 mg for 1 week.

I was just wondering is there any chance of an increased dosage having any long term effects that are bad for her, cos my mum keeps saying the pills will fry her brain eventually.

جوري
01-30-2010, 12:38 AM

as stated akhi the worst side effects are tardive dyskinesia and extrapyramidal side effects, the other ones that are more common are sedation, maybe lactation and sexual dysfunction. worst of all is neuroleptic malignant syndrome which is life threatening.
Is the doctor she is seeing an actual psychiatrist or a regular physician? she needs to be followed up by a psychiatrist, ask this guy if he can get her a psych. consult.

and yes most meds need a few weeks to stabilize someone so one needs to be patients on drugs..

and Allah swt knows best

Woodrow
01-30-2010, 02:22 AM
well the doctor's upped the dosage to 4mg, my mum took it and said it feels like there's a clamp on her brain, like her brain is being gripped and hurt. and she's not going to take 4 mg again.

I did feel she was improving slightly each day on 2mg but the doctor said he wants to find her therapeutic dosage and we will try 4 mg for 1 week.

I was just wondering is there any chance of an increased dosage having any long term effects that are bad for her, cos my mum keeps saying the pills will fry her brain eventually.
While respiridol has potential unwanted side effects there should be no need for concern about a 4mg doze for a week. The Dr. is most likly trying to establish the dozage range that can be easily tolerated and still be effective. One way to find this is to try the extremes for a short period of time and once a level of tolerance is established, to find the most effective in that range.

I do agree with Sister Skye, this should be a joint consultation between a GP and a psychiatrist.

Salahudeen
02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Well alhamdulilah my mum's getting better, we tried spiritual treatment along side the meds and it seems to be working alhamdulilah. I read the book "sword against black magic and magcians" and followed the programme it gives for lunacy in there :p

she's back down to 2 mg a day I'm not gonna let her stop this time inshallah. she seems to have come out of the episode and back down to earth.

جوري
02-05-2010, 12:50 AM
al7mdlillah akhi..
that is excellent news indeed.. May Allah swt grant her fast shifaa

ameen ya rabb

Salahudeen
02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
ameen, I was jus wondering is there any dangers to having anti pshychotic drugs for long periods of time.

She doesn't seem to have an side affects with respiridol but I'm just wondering if it's doing any other harm to her.

جوري
02-22-2010, 07:50 PM
ameen, I was jus wondering is there any dangers to having anti pshychotic drugs for long periods of time.

She doesn't seem to have an side affects with respiridol but I'm just wondering if it's doing any other harm to her.
No drug is without side effects but it is a matter of benefits vs. risks.. so long as she is monitored closely by her doctor and goes to her appointments regularly and is on proper dosages then she should be fine insha'Allah.. my sister in law's mother (who is a malingerer/she is a non-muslim) has been on anti-psychotics for over twenty years and she doesn't even need them!

Salahudeen
02-22-2010, 07:55 PM
No drug is without side effects but it is a matter of benefits vs. risks.. so long as she is monitored closely by her doctor and goes to her appointments regularly and is on proper dosages then she should be fine insha'Allah.. my sister in law's mother (who is a malingerer/she is a non-muslim) has been on anti-psychotics for over twenty years and she doesn't even need them!

that is comforting to know thank you. I was thinking all sorts of absurdities.

جوري
02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
that is comforting to know thank you. I was thinking all sorts of absurdities.
you should always do research on the med. she is on to be aware of any sudden change in her, but most of the real horrible things happen in a very small percentage of the population ... but yeah most folks are on these meds for a lifetime and they do fine.. most important thing is never to stop a drug abruptly without medical clearance!

and Allah swt knows best

Iris
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Salaamz..

A heart-breaking story...just like many of my patients'. (I've recently started my specialization in the field of psychiatry...) So I'm not really an expert yet with the whole thing, but mashaAllah everyone above has given good advice...and yeah Risperidone is an amazing treatment, inshaAllah this lady will stabilize on this.
A few side effects are common and expected but as long as she continues visiting her dr. on all the scheduled appointments it should be alright. Some serious side effects like tardive dyskinesia can develop after a proloonged period of usage...but, not for everyone.

From the social point of view, she would need maximum support, as I'm sure you're giving her. But I've jus come across too many patients of mine who're thrown away and rejected by their families...they eventually get fed up. I've had patients who get dropped off at the emergency room by the driver and their family realises a couple of days later that the person is missing and might be admitted at the hospital. Yeah it's truly sad. It's not these people's fault that they think this way and that their 'illogical' beliefs are so fixed in their minds.

The thing that makes illnesses like schizophrenia hard to treat is 'insight'. Whenever the patient is acutely ill, most likely he/she has no insight as to the fact that he/she is ill. This makes making them compliant on meds harder. We try different sorts of strategies for this. You're giving her the medicines yourself and making sure she takes them, that's one of the good methods. Some other methods inclue giving them an intramuscular injection of medicine (for example Risperidone), that has effect lasting till at least 2 weeks...especially in scenarios where the patient is acutely ill and refuses to take medicines, we use these 'longacting' injections as a means to give sustained release of antipsychotic medications(this is frequently used alongwith the oral meds)

May Allah SWT keep her well and symptom and sideeffect free, ameen.

barney
03-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi.
I'm a Psychiatric Nurse of 23 years.

First take your loved one to doctor. they will be able to refer them to a psychatrist.

You will need to provide examples of their behaviour and state why , in your opinion they require help.
Items to include.
:1) Any talking to themselves
2)Any bizzare behaviour. Not out of cultural norms , but outside logical norms. " The CIA are after me" ( unless theres a reason for the CIA to be after them ,most unlikey)
3) loss in motivtion
4)loss in energy
5) Loss of social contacts
6) Any Bizzare content of speech.

Retain that bizzare and the definiton of such resides within the culture of the society.

If in ny doubt, try to seek medical help from the GP.

I think the first port of call if you are in Pakistan is the Imam, as i had a patient refered to them.

Very best wishes.

chacha_jalebi
03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
with all schizophrenia cases its so important to get medical assistant asap!

like wit one of my cousins he like 14 and for 3/4 years he would say he sees stuff and he cant sleep because these stuff dont let him and he has a friend, a old man with a beard, and his family for some reason decided that the old man with a beard he would "see" is RasoolAllah (saw) and when you say stuff like RasoolAllah (saw) aint a ghost or he dont roam around showing himself to people, they argue and say bla bla just cos you dont see it lol, so after quite a lot of like arguments and the fact he couldnt sleep and it was affecting him in school, d family finally agreed to see a doctor, and he was diagnosed with a mild form of schizophrenia or summin, but it just comes to show

many people and indeed families are in denial and many times you hear from muslims, oh the kid has a jinn in him, it gets really annoyin, like jinns dont have better stuff to do then go and haunt people and go inside them,

anyway

Proud.Hijaabi
03-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Waalakumu Salam

I know exactly what you are going through. It's not easy to cope with someone in your family having scheziphrenia. I think its best if you get them a doc ASAP and get them on meds. Also, its best if you still converse with them and stay by their side. Patience is a key element in handling a situation and do not judge them by what they say. Remember that this is not their fault and that they are still family and you should be more understanding. From what I know the meds tend to make people a bit drowsy so dont be surprised if they are constantly sleeping. ( I think so anyway!) Good Luck and pray to Allah (SWT) for guidance and help and patience.

Salahudeen
03-31-2010, 02:03 PM
She stopped taking her medication again, I let the hospital know, they've been and had a chat with her and she still refused.

They said they will force her to take it under the mental health act, but can they do this even if the person is not a danger to themselves or others?

cat eyes
03-31-2010, 02:09 PM
well i never heard of that because people stop taking medication all the time maybe it was cos u let the hospital know about it

Salahudeen
03-31-2010, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
well i never heard of that because people stop taking medication all the time maybe it was cos u let the hospital know about it
Yeh I told them cos I wanted them to do something, I'm hoping they can force her to take the medication cos she wil have another episode in a few months time otherwise.

cat eyes
03-31-2010, 02:17 PM
yeah she should keep taking her medication if she wants to get better and willmake dua for her to why has she stopped taking them ?

Salahudeen
03-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Cos she got better and believes she doesn't need them now. I kept telling her in a few months you could have a relapse if you stop taking them then she said "well if I do have a relapse you can make me take them then till I get better"

then I said will you take them regurarly after that she said "no" it's really irritating.

she thinks she won't relapse. But I can all ready see a change in the way she talks it's all hyper and fast. then it goes to depressed and sad.

جوري
03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
She stopped taking her medication again, I let the hospital know, they've been and had a chat with her and she still refused.

They said they will force her to take it under the mental health act, but can they do this even if the person is not a danger to themselves or others?
technically there is one loop hole but that applies here in the U.S as you know the laws differ from state to state and certainly country to country...

I think the best way to do this and it might not seem so ethical to you is to convince her that she is taking a vitamin shot and in fact give her some IM B12 admixed with her depot med. all she has to do is take it twice a month.. now, I know no body who isn't well in the mind that thinks there is something wrong with them.. in fact it is always the sanest people that are most worried about their mental health so I can understand why she is behaving this way.. from her perspective there is nothing wrong with her..

in the U.S you can hold a person for 24hr period until you get a court order and force meds on them.. anything goes unfortunately when one is declared incompetent!

May Allah swt ease your affairs akhi and hers

Salahudeen
03-31-2010, 05:20 PM
technically there is one loop hole but that applies here in the U.S as you know the laws differ from state to state and certainly country to country...

I think the best way to do this and it might not seem so ethical to you is to convince her that she is taking a vitamin shot and in fact give her some IM B12 admixed with her depot med. all she has to do is take it twice a month.. now, I know no body who isn't well in the mind that thinks there is something wrong with them.. in fact it is always the sanest people that are most worried about their mental health so I can understand why she is behaving this way.. from her perspective there is nothing wrong with her..

in the U.S you can hold a person for 24hr period until you get a court order and force meds on them.. anything goes unfortunately when one is declared incompetent!

May Allah swt ease your affairs akhi and hers
she would also refuse a vitamin shot, she declines all medication full stop.

yes from her perspective she is abosultely fine, which has led her to the conclusion that I no longer love her or want her around and that's why I'm doing this.

But she doesn't realise I can notice the steady change in her personality, and it's progressively changing each day. But she doesn't notice it :hmm:

She said I can leave if I want to, but I should stop forcing her to take medication when there's nothing wrong with her.

during an episode it's easier to get her to take the medication cos she's so scared she does anything you say. But she's not in an episode at the moment so it's hard. But she will end up having an episode if we don't get her to take the drugs now.

جوري
03-31-2010, 05:30 PM
she would also refuse a vitamin shot, she declines all medication full stop.

yes from her perspective she is abosultely fine, which has led her to the conclusion that I no longer love her or want her around and that's why I'm doing this.

But she doesn't realise I can notice the steady change in her personality, and it's progressively changing each day. But she doesn't notice it :hmm:

She said I can leave if I want to, but I should stop forcing her to take medication when there's nothing wrong with her.

during an episode it's easier to get her to take the medication cos she's so scared she does anything you say. But she's not in an episode at the moment so it's hard. But she will end up having an episode if we don't get her to take the drugs now.

I think the problem is she doesn't realize that a medication isn't putting something extra in her body but regulating the catecholamine neurotransmitters that she has which are out of whack.. do you think if someone sat her and explained to her that she'd be more compliant? If a person is declared incompetent then technically she can be forced to take meds against her will but that is a court decision in other words a doctor can only write his/her evaluation and then the court can declare her incompetent at least that is how it is in the U.S once a person is declared incompetent (it is a bad thing in my opinion) but you can have a power of attorney over her affairs at that stage and yes she can be given meds against her wishes..

do you have a family elder that can oversee these matters along with you?

Salahudeen
03-31-2010, 05:41 PM

I think the problem is she doesn't realize that a medication isn't putting something extra in her body but regulating the catecholamine neurotransmitters that she has which are out of whack.. do you think if someone sat her and explained to her that she'd be more compliant? If a person is declared incompetent then technically she can be forced to take meds against her will but that is a court decision in other words a doctor can only write his/her evaluation and then the court can declare her incompetent at least that is how it is in the U.S once a person is declared incompetent (it is a bad thing in my opinion) but you can have a power of attorney over her affairs at that stage and yes she can be given meds against her wishes..

do you have a family elder that can oversee these matters along with you?

She says she doesn't like the way it makes her feel, like she's disorientated and slowed down. Like she's not apart of the world she says. It makes her groggy and lazy and she doesn't like it.

She said it goes straight to her head, I will tell her the medication isn't adding any chemcials to your brain it's just regulating them. But she's so stubborn I doubt it will work.

My uncle could but to be honest the family is kinda tired of her cos she keeps having episodes due to not taking medication and they're losing patience.

My uncle told the doctor to force her to take the meds or admit her to the hospital. And they can admit any one for upto 28 days if they deem it to be in that person's best interest.

Last time the doctor said each time she has an episode she's taking longer to come out of it so if she has another episode he will make her take the injection.

but the trouble is she's not in an episode, if she was it would be easy to get her to agree to take it imsad

she's just jumping to absurd conclusions and unable to relax, she's very hyper and fast speech/eratic.

I made her egg and toast and crushed a 2mg pill and put it in her food without her knowing. hoping it will keep her calm till 2moro when the doctor comes.

she's determined to not take the meds, she began ringing solicitors and asking about the mental health act and her rights. imsad

جوري
03-31-2010, 05:46 PM
She says she doesn't like the way it makes her feel, like she's disorientated and slowed down. Like she's not apart of the world she says. It makes her groggy and lazy and she doesn't like it.

She said it goes straight to her head, I will tell her the medication isn't adding any chemcials to your brain it's just regulating them. But she's so stubborn I doubt it will work.

My uncle could but to be honest the family is kinda tired of her cos she keeps having episodes due to not taking medication and they're losing patience.

My uncle told the doctor to force her to take the meds or admit her to the hospital. And they can admit any one for upto 28 days if they deem it to be in that person's best interest.

Last time the doctor said each time she has an episode she's taking longer to come out of it so if she has another episode he will make her take the injection.

but the trouble is she's not in an episode, if she was it would be easy to get her to agree to take it imsad

she's just jumping to absurd conclusions and unable to relax, she's very hyper and fast speech/eratic.

I made her egg and toast and crushed a 2mg pill and put it in her food without her knowing. hoping it will keep her calm till 2moro when the doctor comes.

she's determined to not take the meds, she began ringing solicitors and asking about the mental health act and her rights. imsad
:sl: you are very sweet akhi may Allah swt ease your affairs.. you have shared yourself and bared your soul here I know and can imagine how difficult this is for you..
the only other thing I can think of is giving her the injection yourself every two weeks while she is sleeping.. do you know how to give IM injections? it is really not difficult they can teach you in the hospital .. I can send you some pamphlets on where you can safely give it to her..

what do you think of that? do you think that is possible?

Salahudeen
03-31-2010, 05:52 PM
ameen,

hmm she would wake up the minute I come near her, she is a very light sleeper, she can feel people's presence even when she's asleep.

If you just walk in the room she opens her eyes and starts looking around like she could feel your presence.

looks like the doctor will have to force her, they even offered her a liquid solution but she refused them, then they offered her other medications but she refused point blank.

I hope she doesn't dislike me in the future for letting the doctors force the meds on her.

cos right now she can't stand me, I'm hoping after the medication takes effect she will calm down and be like it's no big deal.

or she might hold a grudge against me even then :(

جوري
03-31-2010, 06:00 PM
she isn't well akhi so don't take anything she feels or does when she isn't lucid with other than a grain of salt, surely beneath all that you are her son and she loves you more than anything .. anyhow we all go through four different stages of sleep and one of them is very deep, you of course have no way of figuring out when that will be as it differs from person to person based on many factors.. but if you can get her during a stage IV sleep you can give it to her quite effectively .. think about it a little and let me know, also you should discuss this with her doctor directly see what he has to say..

Ummu Sufyaan
04-01-2010, 09:22 AM

cant you disguise them in her food or drink?

Salahudeen
04-01-2010, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan

cant you disguise them in her food or drink?
not every day consistantly cos she makes the food :hmm:

Ummu Sufyaan
04-01-2010, 10:18 AM
^why dont you offer to make it and/or offer to help her make it and slip in then? like offer to make her tea and put them in...

Salahudeen
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
that would work for 1 or 2 days but not every single day. She jus took her hijaab off and went out to the shop :( she's really high, waiting for doctor to come. If he doesn't force her to take meds I'm leaving. She's decided she doesn't wanna wear hijaab anymore. I've taken her keys and not letting her leave the house.

When she gets better she will probably want to wear it again. she's so hyper, she's started playing music and dancing :( so unlike her.

cat eyes
04-01-2010, 11:45 AM
yea dont let her leave the home be strict with her being to soft will not work either cos she will do stupit things

Salahudeen
04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
yea dont let her leave the home be strict with her being to soft will not work either cos she will do stupit things
she's shouting at me calling me ******* son imsad the doctor is coming in the afternoon. I will tell him she is getting agressive.

Beardo
04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
May Allah Ta'ala make it easy for you, my dear brother. I just don't know what else to say, except for the fact that the rest of us should be grateful...

Salahudeen
04-01-2010, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
May Allah Ta'ala make it easy for you, my dear brother. I just don't know what else to say, except for the fact that the rest of us should be grateful...
jazakallah khair akhi ameen, she is definitely bi polar cos there's no other symptoms like hearing voices this time. It's just her behaviour is erratic then slumps to depression. and not herself.

the doctor diagnosed her as schizophrenic but I think it's bi polar with paranoia.

Salahudeen
04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Ended up moving out, am going to fone hospital 2moro and tell them she is alone, then they will have to take responsiblity and give her proper care.

syilla
04-02-2010, 04:04 AM
^^^ May Allah ease your burden akhee.... how are you feeling now akhee?

جوري
04-02-2010, 04:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
^^^ May Allah ease your burden akhee....

ameen ya rabb

Salahudeen
04-03-2010, 12:10 AM
It's so stupid the doctor said we can't force her to take meds unless she's sectioned, and she's not that bad enough yet to be sectioned,

so basically they have to wait till she's full in another episode and thinks there's demons walking round the house before they take her.

They said they will meet on Tuesday to review and if she continues to not take her medication they will section her,

Since I am not there the burden of making sure she takes her medication will lie on them I think.

not sure about that,

Beardo
04-03-2010, 01:20 AM
It's so stupid the doctor said we can't force her to take meds unless she's sectioned, and she's not that bad enough yet to be sectioned,

so basically they have to wait till she's full in another episode and thinks there's demons walking round the house before they take her.

They said they will meet on Tuesday to review and if she continues to not take her medication they will section her,

Since I am not there the burden of making sure she takes her medication will lie on them I think.

not sure about that,
That indeed is a difficult situation. Just make dua, brother. Dua can do wonders. And I know it's easy for me to say, but be patient. :cry: I feel for you, really I do.

syilla
04-05-2010, 02:24 AM
aww... akhee i know you are trying your best. and i know you are really worried about your mom. You'll be always in our duas...

Argamemnon
04-11-2010, 05:26 PM
deleted.........

Argamemnon
04-11-2010, 08:33 PM
deleted.....

Salahudeen
04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
jazakallah khair, she's in Hospital now but the doctor has prescribed her a different drug to the one she was on before, I dislike this as the drug she was on worked in the past but she ket complaining it hurt her head so he prescribed her an alternative drug to Rispiridone.

She's been on the alternative drug for a week now and not much change :| I wish the doctor would just put her back on Risperidone. Somebody told me they all do the same thing anyway.

جوري
04-18-2010, 07:26 PM
as discussed akhi you need to give it a while insha'Allah to achieve a steady state in plasma..

al7mdlillah that she is receiving treatment.. have a little patience insha'Allah things will work out..

syilla
04-19-2010, 02:06 AM
salams akhee...

i agree with ukhtee skye... have patience akhee wait at least for a week... and we'll see the results

May Allah grant your mother shifa' :)

Desert
05-17-2020, 10:50 PM
As Salam alaikum

I think I understand what schizophrenia is now
Those religious delusions are caused by shayateen... Spiritual delusions
Or it is disbelief to in Allaah to call faith awakening delusions aka delusions...

It's what I'm trying to say it's spiritual awakening
Not delusions you just have to accept Islam that moment...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.