/* */

PDA

View Full Version : To veil or not to veil?

sisterfirdous
01-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Salaam,

A few months ago I would have been the last girl that I could think of, who would wear the niqab.
However, as time progressed and I started college I started to admire sisters who had the level of confidence and courage to wear the niqab.

Around a week ago, out of the blue I just broke down and felt like I should wear it. No one told me to or even suggested it to me.
I then had this urge to wear the niqab and so I tried it on the most difficult day I could think of when I went to the college main campus to do my a- level exam.

I felt content wearing it, I told my Mum she was happy but she told me to make sure that I am ready. My Dad however, said that it was an extremist move which was unnecessary.
My sister was shocked and suggested to me not to wear it as she knows how hard it will be and to take my time about it.

The dilemma I am in now is that I have this urge to wear it for Allah's pleasure, but I keep thinking of what I am going to miss out on and I just need guidance or for someone to shed light on this topic?

Are there any other sisters out there who are in the same position?

JazakAllah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
01-18-2010, 07:46 AM
:sl:
kindly and gently explain to your dad how you feel about it, make dua that his heart is softened towards it.

if you want to wear it, just wear it. its amazing how may people will tell you to do/not do so many things and yet they arent the ones in your shoes they arent the ones who know how you feel and what level of love you may have towards something...and this level of love is always the thing that motivates you to do what you really want. they dont get it becuase they dont have those types of feelings so its easy for them to say "do/dont do."

if you wan to wear it, may Allah reward you and make it easy for you.

sisterfirdous
01-18-2010, 08:23 PM
I contacted this learnt woman regarding my issue.
I am not sure whether to wear the niqab or not I am getting very depressed I can not be asked to do anything but sit down and think about it.
The learnt woman said that hijab is fardh and and niqab is nafl and do what makes you happy.

latiffa
01-19-2010, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sisterfirdous
I am not sure whether to wear the niqab or not I am getting very depressed I can not be asked to do anything but sit down and think about it.
The learnt woman said that hijab is fardh and and niqab is nafl and do what makes you happy.

Really make what makes u happy!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
01-20-2010, 03:16 AM
:sl:
i'll say to you want i told a sister once who couldn't figure out if it was obligatory or not: forgot the difference of opinion among the scholars regarding it, if you truly desire to wear it, just go ahead and wear it!

sisterfirdous
01-20-2010, 09:00 PM
JazakAllah for the replies.

I appreciate the advice, may Allah bless you.
Ameen.

Esther462
01-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Salaam,

A few months ago I would have been the last girl that I could think of, who would wear the niqab.
However, as time progressed and I started college I started to admire sisters who had the level of confidence and courage to wear the niqab.

Around a week ago, out of the blue I just broke down and felt like I should wear it. No one told me to or even suggested it to me.
I then had this urge to wear the niqab and so I tried it on the most difficult day I could think of when I went to the college main campus to do my a- level exam.

I felt content wearing it, I told my Mum she was happy but she told me to make sure that I am ready. My Dad however, said that it was an extremist move which was unnecessary.
My sister was shocked and suggested to me not to wear it as she knows how hard it will be and to take my time about it.

The dilemma I am in now is that I have this urge to wear it for Allah's pleasure, but I keep thinking of what I am going to miss out on and I just need guidance or for someone to shed light on this topic?

Are there any other sisters out there who are in the same position?

JazakAllah
I know how you feel. I started to wear niqab because I felt Allah telling me to and I too had an urge to wear it. I live in an area where there aren't many muslims so I stick out quite alot, unlike you. I love wearing but have lost confidents but hope to get it back soon. Insha Allah.
My family dosen't like me wear niqab, they are Christian, as they see it as extrem and don't understan why someone would want to wear it.

mohi
02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Sister, Allah Loves you very much - thats why you felt that you should be covering up. I hope you do it. Thanks and regards

Asiyah3
02-02-2010, 02:57 PM
“And remain steadfast with those who call on ther Lord morning and evening seeking His face;
And let not your eyes overlook them desiring the distractions of this worldly life;
nor obey one whose heart We made heedless of Our remembrance; who follows his own desires and whose case is lost. ”

[al-Kahf 18:28]

noorseeker
02-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Sister build up to it gradually. Wear it sometimes, here and there, till eventually it stays on permanent

HopeFul
02-02-2010, 07:28 PM
As strange as it sounds, wearing reigious outfit in the west makes me more confident and stronger, and it is back in my hometown or village in Pakistn that I find it most difficult when even Muslims dont bother doing it.

Out of all my travels and living in different countries, middle east was the easiest and Pakistn hardest to to wear the Niqaab. Alhamdolillah i overcame the difficulties and started to fear Allah rather than people, having said that, I have reverted back to wearing only abaya n hijab and not the Niqaab because I go out on public transport so much.

I thinkif I were to live in one country for a long time, I would do it even in europe, but I ony come here for a short time so make excuses that it gets in the way. I would wear it in UK though because there is such a HUGE Muslim presence there.

And do what gives you most confidence, Niqaab is the thing which makes you a person and not a body. A muslimah .

sadiasalam
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
while reading this I felt like I am talking to myself... sister I am exactly in the same position as you are, I was a so called modern girl till recent times and then I realized what I was making of my life and turned sincerely towards complete submission to Allah. My step towards hijab was opposed by all my family because here there are very few muslims who wear hijab. My family tried to convince me by saying that if I wear hijab I would be noticed by people more than I am otherwise. But till now I have stayed firm on my decision and Alhumdulillah it has helped me gain confidence and contentment. The key is to have complete faith in Alllah and seek guidance and strength. When Allah has shown us the right path, we should not let anyone or anything influence that decision.

Read the following verses to your father and sister:

And tell the believing women to restrain their looks (also in the presence of men who are not near of kin and so lawful for marriage) and guard their chastity and not to disclose their (natural and make-up) beauty except such as cannot be helped (and is apparent) and draw their head coverings over their bosoms, and they should not display their beauty save to their husbands or to their fathers or to their fathers- in-law or to their own sons or to the sons of their husbands or to their own brothers, or to the sons of their brothers or to the sons of their sisters or their women (who are their decent companions) or to their bondsmen or to such of their male attendants as have no sexual appetite or to such young children as have yet no knowledge of the frailties of women. And let them not strike (the ground with) their feet so that which they (must) hide of their beauty or adornment) may become known. And (O believers!) turn to Allâh; one and all, that you may attain (true happiness and) your ultimate goal.
Quran 24:31

Prophet! tell your wives, your daughters and women of the believers that (while going out of their houses) they should draw lower upon them the portions of their (loose) outer coverings from over their heads on to their bosoms (so as to veil therewith the arms, the neck, the hair and ornaments worn over them). This practice is more likely to help them to be distinguished (from other women who make a display of their beauty and ornamentation) and so saves them from trouble. Allâh is Great Protector, Ever Merciful.
Quran 33:59

Allah knows best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.