/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Teachers who wear Hijab

AnonymousPoster
01-18-2010, 10:03 PM
:sl:

Does anyone know of any teachers in the United States that wears the hijab and holds a teaching job anywhere from K-12?

The reason I ask is because recently a sister expressed the fact that she wanted to wear the hijab but she is afraid that she will not be hired by employers to be a high school teacher. Her concerns Im afraid are valid, I think in some states they are trying to ban hijabs and other religious symbols from schools.
This women does not have people she can rely on if she ends up jobless after she receives her Masters degree in teaching. However, If anyone knows of any teachers who DO teach and where the Hijab, please let me know so I can ease her concerns.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Donia
01-19-2010, 02:34 AM
:wa:

Has she thought of teaching at an Islamic school? I do not personally know any teachers that work in a public school wearing hijab. Maybe she could be the first one in her area insh'Allah.
I don't see why they would ban hijabs in school when they make such a big deal of other religious holidays in public schools. That's all I will say about that because I don't want to get off topic.

Italianguy
01-19-2010, 04:45 AM
My son is in first grade in a Virginia public school. And one of the teachers wears a hijab, he likes her allot:D, she is very stern in her methods....kids need that these days!

Plus she gives the kids stickers, all kids love stickers!;D......i will have to thank her.....they are all over the place now:hmm:

AlbanianMuslim
01-19-2010, 05:03 AM
^
ha funny response.

I personally dont know of any teachers who wear hijab, it would be nice to see more of them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Vito
01-19-2010, 05:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
:sl:

Does anyone know of any teachers in the United States that wears the hijab and holds a teaching job anywhere from K-12?

The reason I ask is because recently a sister expressed the fact that she wanted to wear the hijab but she is afraid that she will not be hired by employers to be a high school teacher. Her concerns Im afraid are valid, I think in some states they are trying to ban hijabs and other religious symbols from schools.
This women does not have people she can rely on if she ends up jobless after she receives her Masters degree in teaching. However, If anyone knows of any teachers who DO teach and where the Hijab, please let me know so I can ease her concerns.
I know in areas like Dearborn and other similar places its obviously not a problem but, I can't say the same for other cities or states though. I would tell her not to be too concerned about it. Good teachers are in demand and if she has all the credentials, she should be fine inshaAllah.

Raaina
01-19-2010, 07:28 AM
I don't live in the States, but I can't imagine it would be a problem in say a school with a large Muslim population, surely some schools in America will have teacher's in Hijabs. Tell her not to worry to much, she will be fine :)

bewildred
01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Dear sister,

I was in the verge of starting a very promising career as a third world literature teacher. But It was the time exactly I decided to wear the hijab. It was in 1997. I went through some depression for I pushed my studies and researches very far. Now, I live in a Muslim country. Awkay, I teach at a lower grade but I am much more comfortable and work without the pressure of being judged for my religion.

AnonymousPoster
01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks! that helps.

How would I go about finding out where there are more muslim populations? Is there a census that takes down religious pop stats?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I had an Arabic professor who wore hijab...but that's in uni..not k-12. Sorry :/

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 01:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMuslim
^
ha funny response.

I personally dont know of any teachers who wear hijab, it would be nice to see more of them.
I think she is from Afghanistan? I haven't got to talk to her. But my son says she teaches them about her Country all the time........He just can't remember which one it is;D

Italianguy
01-20-2010, 01:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
I know in areas like Dearborn and other similar places its obviously not a problem but, I can't say the same for other cities or states though. I would tell her not to be too concerned about it. Good teachers are in demand and if she has all the credentials, she should be fine inshaAllah.
Thats true! We need good teachers. If a Muslim teacher does a better job at teaching my son math than ....the others ....Than so be it!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.