/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Nawab?

Italianguy
01-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Are there still Nawabs? I was just wondering. I was told it is the Muslim equall to a Raja?....... I just so happened to eat at a Indian restraunt today (as I do often;D) and it is called "Nawab", but ran by Hindu and Cristian Indians, and owned by Hindu's?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Banu_Hashim
01-19-2010, 12:00 AM
No, there aren't any nawabs anymore. Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh in India was famous for their Shi'a nawabs but like the mughals they have disappeared. Nawabs were basically the Muslim nobles who had links with the Mughals are were very cultured in Urdu poetry etc. In Indian culture, nawabs are seen as the sophisticated class so that's why it would be a popular name for a restaurant. I hope that explains it :).

Italianguy
01-19-2010, 04:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
No, there aren't any nawabs anymore. Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh in India was famous for their Shi'a nawabs but like the mughals they have disappeared. Nawabs were basically the Muslim nobles who had links with the Mughals are were very cultured in Urdu poetry etc. In Indian culture, nawabs are seen as the sophisticated class so that's why it would be a popular name for a restaurant. I hope that explains it :).
Thanks buddy:D I know it wasn't a good question ....but i was wondering.

God be with you!

sur
01-19-2010, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
Are there still Nawabs? I was just wondering. I was told it is the Muslim equall to a Raja?....... I just so happened to eat at a Indian restraunt today (as I do often;D) and it is called "Nawab", but ran by Hindu and Cristian Indians, and owned by Hindu's?
yes there r Nawabs even now... Also it has become a "cast" now... so there are many nawabs who r "kangaal"(high-&-dry) :)

nawad Akbar Bughtee killed by Pervaiz Musharaf; owns land in "Dera Buhtee"

nawab of kal'aat(khan of kalat)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
01-19-2010, 05:58 AM
I don't know what is nawab :hmm:

sur
01-19-2010, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
I don't know what is nawab :hmm:
just another word for tribal leader or a prince holding area not-large-enough to qualify him as "king"....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.