/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with people who judge Islam by its followers?

Danah
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
:sl:

The majority of the world is judging Islam by its bad followers, how we can clarify things to them?

In most cases they got brainwashed by their media and only see the bad followers forgetting about those who are following the right way of Islam.

Even when we try to convince them to go and read the Quran or Sunnah to get the right facts they always can't get rid of that bad image of Islam they have in their minds.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
B u m p..................

glo
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
It's difficult, and something many groups (and not just religious ones) suffer from ...

I think the problem is that the people with extreme views, ideas or behaviours get the most media coverage - and then the whole group is judged accordingly.

I think the only thing you can do, is be patient with people, never tire to explain what Islam means to you, and lead by example.
Let your actions speak for themselves!

Also, remember that people are responsible for their own choices.
You can give them advice and tell them about your faith - but there is also a time to leave people be and respect the choices they make.
But try to continue to keep people in your love and in your prayer. :)

Danah
01-25-2010, 05:31 PM
This is what I do usually.

But its just irritated to see people talking out of ignorance without even trying to read about the things they are talking about. They just looked so funny but they can't see themselves.
Yet they keep asking you about so many things they already have wrong answers about in their mind and they are not planning to change the views they have, in other words just playing around to waste time!

If someone is not planning to correct his view then why the heck he is asking from the first place? Just save your breath and cherish the views you have!

lol, this world is going crazy indeed!! They have so much time in their hands

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
01-25-2010, 06:31 PM

As glo said earlier:
I think the only thing you can do, is be patient with people, never tire to explain what Islam means to you, and lead by example.
Let your actions speak for themselves!
Unless we try to present ourselves as model Muslims, it's difficult to present a clear image of Islam. Books, articles, video and other media present 'information about Islam', and true Islam is presented only by the life of a true Muslim.

Life_Is_Short
01-25-2010, 07:01 PM
First ask them: What do you know about Islam?

They would answer this by recalling what they heard about Islam or what they have seen in the action of Muslims. They would not have any evidence to back their cliams.

If they do, tell them there is a difference between Islam and Muslims just as there is a difference between a man and a father. Being a father is a responsibility, if a man doesn't fulfil those responsibilities he is not necessarily a good father. Islam is a rule and and order. If a muslims does not fulfil these rules or orders he is not a good Muslim. Therefore you cannot consider or compare Islam by examining Muslims.

People of this nature are usually looking for trouble. They don't want to know about Islam because if they did they would go out and research for themselves like many reverts do before questioning why such and such is like this.

Personally, i don't think anyone has the right to question any religion until they have fully understood what it is about first. You can't go around questioning why Jack climbed the bean stock until you know the full story. Right?

Hope this helps. (Insha'Allah)

Danah
01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
@ AabiruSabeel, JazakAllah khair bro, right.

format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
First ask them: What do you know about Islam?

They would answer this by recalling what they heard about Islam or what they have seen in the action of Muslims. They would not have any evidence to back their cliams.

If they do, tell them there is a difference between Islam and Muslims just as there is a difference between a man and a father. Being a father is a responsibility, if a man doesn't fulfil those responsibilities he is not necessarily a good father. Islam is a rule and and order. If a muslims does not fulfil these rules or orders he is not a good Muslim. Therefore you cannot consider or compare Islam by examining Muslims.
SubhanAllah I did the exact thing

People of this nature are usually looking for trouble. They don't want to know about Islam because if they did they would go out and research for themselves like many reverts do before questioning why such and such is like this.
Thats why I tend to save my breath with them as it seems that they have lots of time in their hands. SubhanAllah and when you face them with some strong facts they tend to change the topic and jump to another way to attack!

Personally, i don't think anyone has the right to question any religion until they have fully understood what it is about first. You can't go around questioning why Jack climbed the bean stock until you know the full story. Right?
Exactly, that is my main point

Hope this helps. (Insha'Allah)

Life_Is_Short
01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
I've devised a method to recognise people of this nature:

1. They will throw some questions at you. Most questions will root from the portrayal of Islam by the media.
2. Provide answers with reference from Quran and Hadith. If you don't know, move on to point 6.
3. If the person is still arguing about the same thing and/or bringing up more misconceptions about Islam, spend another 10 or so minutes answering their questions with proof from Quran and Hadith.
5. If they repeat point 3, they're looking for trouble.
6. Ask them to visit JUST ASK ISLAM. If they genuinely want to know about Islam they would ask those questions to a scholar and you won't feel like you have failed in delivering the message of Islam.

Feel free to delete or add anything to this method. :statisfie

The Qur’an says in Surah Nahl, chapter 16 verse 125:

’Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord
with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are
best and most gracious.’
[Al-Qur’an 16:125]

Insh'Allah you will get reward for your efforts.

Coccinella
01-26-2010, 06:49 AM

Danah-- your title is confusing. Do you have a problem with people judging Islam on its believers period or people judging it only on its "bad" believers?

Regardless...

I do not understand why these people need to be dealt with? It seems infinitely more logical for us to invest our efforts and time aiding our follow brothers and sisters, especially the so called bad Muslims (it is beside how you can label anyone a bad Muslims in the first place, as Allah (SWT) is the only viable judge of faith but I suppose that isn't the point). By doing so we would, in theory at least, be dealing with your problem anyway?

format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
I do not mean to attack your personal view but it seems incredibly foolish. If people do not question how on earth are they suppose to learn? And you did say anyone right? Seriously? Even children, even reverts, even students of faith?

Btw comparing any faith, even for the sake of analogy, to a simplistic fairy story is almost insulting especially when said analogy is irrelevant anyway.

Arggh I probably sound like a big meany =\

Sorry for any offense in advance.

Life_Is_Short
01-26-2010, 03:13 PM
:wa:
format_quote Originally Posted by Coccinella
I do not mean to attack your personal view but it seems incredibly foolish. If people do not question how on earth are they suppose to learn? And you did say anyone right? Seriously? Even children, even reverts, even students of faith?
No i did not say (just) anyone. The answer is relevant to the question, How to deal with people who judge Islam by its followes?

Btw comparing any faith, even for the sake of analogy, to a simplistic fairy story is almost insulting especially when said analogy is irrelevant anyway.
I was not comparing faith. That was to explain why the point of question is only valid when you at least know the basics about a belief i.e the story.

Sorry for any offense in advance.
No offense taken. You misunderstood me. This thread is about those individuals that judge Islam by its followers not the once that genuinely want to know about islam.

There are people who question for the purpose of knowing BUT these people at least make the effort to look for the answers themselves first and you can recognise them by their level of islamic knowledge. There is a difference. If you read my reply (above) it will all make sense. :statisfie

hanif_
01-26-2010, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah

The majority of the world is judging Islam by its bad followers, how we can clarify things to them?

In most cases they got brainwashed by their media and only see the bad followers forgetting about those who are following the right way of Islam.

Even when we try to convince them to go and read the Quran or Sunnah to get the right facts they always can't get rid of that bad image of Islam they have in their minds.
Danah:

Is it possible for you to provide examples of the negative conduct you personally view portrayed by people who say they are Muslims. (The bad followers)

It appears that in different threads the posts from Full Members, Moderators and Respected Posters that the line of support for various views could be open for interpretation.

Who determines or designates Muslims as bad?

My barometer is the Qur'an and the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (SAWS).

4:59 (Y. Ali) O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you. If ye differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger, if ye do believe in Allah and the Last Day: That is best, and most suitable for final determination.

If a Muslim supports a particular group who performs acts in the name of Islam that are without any doubt outside the pale of Islam bad? Are the Majority of Muslims who disagree with them bad?

-Elle-
01-26-2010, 11:16 PM

I simply clear the misconceptions they have about our religion. With facts and concrete examples, I contradict anything which may have been announced media. I simply express my opinion most of the time, and the rulings of our religion, and make it clear that we approve/do not approve of this this and this in our religion.

AlhamdulillAh many people are open-minded and willing to listen. Never attack them nor be offended by their ideas, hopefully that is not they're intentions (and its hasn't been in my case).

Mostly, I find that people confuse culture with religion, and I make sure to clarify that point.

hanif_
01-26-2010, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by houda~
Mostly, I find that people confuse culture with religion, and I make sure to clarify that point.
Ukh houda:

I totally agree with that statement. That is why studying the sirah (History) of Islam is so vital and important to understand, apply and propagate the din.

Jazakillahu Khair

Ummu Sufyaan
01-28-2010, 09:17 AM

wa alaykum us-Salam dear sis. i wrote this reply up over a week ago, but didn't get around to posting it.

realize that Allah is the only one who can change heart <---most important.

realize and do what is upon you to do, i.e give dawah, answer their queries, etc but in the end it is Allah who can change the hearts...so there is only a certain extent you can actually do. if you get too ahead of yourself, you may end up > imsad

know how to give dawah! every person is different, every person thinks and feels differently and every person will have different questions, so know how the mentally of the person you are calling to is, and approach it through that channel. In other words, treat people as INDIVIDUALS!
it is next to pointless to talk to a 6yr old primary school student about complex maths equations, whilst at that age they are still learning what 1+1 is! so in other words "mould" your dawah around the person to suit their mentality.

as our hero (:P) shiekh Muhammad al-3areefi once said (along the lines of), you need to know 2 things when giving dawah: the persons mentality and the knowledge of what you need to tell them.

for example, a deviant Muslim, you need to know what their own creed is and you need to have the proper (Islamic) knowledge to counter act it.

you can know another persons belief by asking our own scholars/reading the tafseers of the relevant ayahs/hadiths.

listen to talks about how to give dawah, and also take note and observe how other people and/or shiekhs give dawah to others as well. note their mistakes and good points so that you know what to avoid and implement when calling people to allah.

they will hear all sorts of baloney from all corners of the earth concerning Islam, so make sure you are armed with the proper knowledge to back it up with. make sure you know what it is they may dislike us for< ---i have a simple formula to know this: any aspect of Islam that does not conform to their ways of life, they will attack. the hijab/niqaab, polygamy, obedience to husband, etc because think about it: nothing that conforms with ones way of thinking may be considered a threat/dislike? get me???

to get an idea what it is you need to address, read their papers, watch their news channels, i would suggest go to their forums, but :hmm: i like to skim through this very forum to get an idea of how it is they think.

before answering their questions, know exactly what it is they don't grasp or understand. for example someone may ask you (this isnt necessarily relevant to this thread because i cant seem think of a relevant question right now) "i want to become Muslim" you answer with: *nice polite attitute* "oh so what is it that you know about Islam? :) :) :)"
they may answer you with a misconception they have about Islam, may tell you they believe in Allah, except they dont believe in the angels, etc. so by asking questions, you find out what it is they know, and for what they dont know/misunderstand you can clarify (as opposed to jumping the gun and bombarding them with a bunch of confusing information <---major put off).
inshallah if they do end accepting Islam, it is done with knowledge and a whole-heartened acceptance, inshallah.

the reason why i say you need to ask questions first is because sometimes you mean something so innocent but your tongue may slip and you mention something they may seem so so alien to them, since it isn't apart of their norm/culture. this may cause them to be put off Islam, based on a mere misunderstanding.

also remember that it is the way you word something that could make a worlds difference. for example: polygamy. mention the hardship he has to go through first :p (they dont like men so hearing any thing of hardship to them, may come as a delight :p) or marriage...mention here about her financial obligation and rights over him (people hate men :p and love wealth so hearing that she gets a mandatory dowry of whatevershe wants will sound pretty impressive) i remember speaking about something like this to a non-Muslim and boy was she impressed :D) also in a situation like this, perhaps they have hears of a religion/culture that implements and preaches the same practices of Islam...so by stating that other practices, cultures etc do the same thing, they will feel a little more familiar and comforted by it.

as for those who after you have kindly and gently explained to them about Islam, and yet are adamant on being arrogant, either ignore them and/or speak to them just as harshly as they speak to you (i personally prefer the latter :X). islam is not a door mat to be taking such rubbish from arrogant people.

all the best ukhtee.

Danah
01-29-2010, 11:53 AM

Danah-- your title is confusing. Do you have a problem with people judging Islam on its believers period or people judging it only on its "bad" believers?
The title is very clear, and the first post is even clearer. Anyways, its about people judging Islam on the followers who are not following the right way of Islam.

format_quote Originally Posted by hanif_
Danah:

Is it possible for you to provide examples of the negative conduct you personally view portrayed by people who say they are Muslims. (The bad followers)
I am talking about non-muslims look at Islam through its bad followers. Like those who are claiming that they are muslims yet sinning and do bad stuff....."in general".

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
wa alaykum us-Salam dear sis. i wrote this reply up over a week ago, but didn't get around to posting it.
JazakAllah khair for your time and effort to write that sis :)
I can learn a lot from "our hero" too

aamirsaab
01-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Pick your battles. Sometimes it is worth the effort to educate them whilst. Othertimes, it is best to ignore them.

On the internet, most fall into the ignore category. You can usually tell because of the style of questions they ask. If it's something deep and meaningful like How halaal is takaful or how many verses in the Quran, they're probably legit.

If it's related to The Prophet's marriage or moon-god kinds of nonsense (you know, the usual misconceptions that a google search will answer), they're probably trolling.

Danah
01-29-2010, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
On the internet, most fall into the ignore category. You can usually tell because of the style of questions they ask. If it's something deep and meaningful like How halaal is takaful or how many verses in the Quran, they're probably legit.
Exactly, Internet gives people more chance to say whatever they want without any limitations whatsoever, and it let them be more rude and aggressive since they are hidden behind there screens. Most of them show less respect to religions in general "no only religions issues". Unlike meeting people in real where you can discuss things with them in a modern way.

Beardo
01-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Exactly, Internet gives people more chance to say whatever they want without any limitations whatsoever, and it let them be more rude and aggressive since they are hidden behind there screens. Most of them show less respect to religions in general "no only religions issues". Unlike meeting people in real where you can discuss things with them in a modern way.
Here's the darn truth. If someone sincerely wants to learn about Islam, they'll go to the right sources. They'll have a critical pointing finger but also with an open heart.

Internet has everything. Why? Because everyone has the authority to write. Shoot, I myself could go on my blog and write Fatwas, and people would quote it! No kidding.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.