/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Between Muslims and Christians in Nigeria

S<Chowdhury
01-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, though i didn't find any thread when i searched the forum.

Nigeria curfew relaxed after religious fighting in Jos

Clashes between Muslim and Christian gangs have broken out again in the capital of central Nigeria's Plateau state, Jos, causing dozens of deaths and forcing police to impose a 24-hour curfew.

A police official said on Tuesday that as many as 60 people might have been killed since Sunday when clashes started.

Mohammed ****tu, an employee at Jos central mosque, where he said bodies were being taken, told the AFP news agency around 150 people had been killed in fighting, with around 800 wounded.

"On Sunday evening, we buried 19 corpses and 52 yesterday. As of right now, there are 78 at the mosque yet to be buried," ****tu said.

The figures could not be independently confirmed.

Residents said sporadic gunfire could be heard in many neighbourhoods and several houses were on fire, but the violence had not spread beyond the city itself.

Security forces are trying to prevent a repetition of clashes in November 2008, in which hundreds of residents were killed in the country's worst fighting between Muslim and Christian gangs in years.

Curfew imposed

Earlier on Tuesday, Gregory Anyating, the state's police commissioner, said: "In view of this situation in town, I hereby declare a 24-hour curfew starting from now."

Goodluck Jonathan, the Nigerian vice-president, who has taken over ceremonial duties from Umaru Yar'Adua, the ailing president, has directed the national security adviser and senior police officials to take the necessary action to restore calm to the city.

Ima Niboro, the vice-president's spokesman, said: "I assure you that the federal government is on top of the situation in Jos and the situation is under control."

This week's violence started after an argument between Muslim and Christian neighbours over the rebuilding of homes destroyed in the 2008 clashes.

Nigeria has roughly equal numbers of Christians and Muslims, although traditional animist beliefs underpin many people's faiths.

More than 200 ethnic groups generally live peacefully side by side in the West African country, although one million people were killed in a civil war between 1967 and 1970 and there have been outbreaks of religious unrest since then.

At least 40 people were killed last month in clashes between Nigerian security forces and members of an Islamic sect in the northern city of Bauchi.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/af...631230684.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy_TN...ayer_embedded#

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
01-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Good Lord.

What are the Nigerian authorities doing to stop such attacks? Also, why are Christians and Muslims attacking one another based on faith in the first place? It's utterly ridiculous. This is unheard of in Nigeria. As the article has said, most people in Nigeria co exist peacefully.

S<Chowdhury
01-21-2010, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Good Lord.

What are the Nigerian authorities doing to stop such attacks? Also, why are Christians and Muslims attacking one another based on faith in the first place? It's utterly ridiculous. This is unheard of in Nigeria. As the article has said, most people in Nigeria co exist peacefully.
I believe a curfew has put in place, and soldiers are patrolling the street to ensure peace, however much of the damage has already been done with an estimated 200 people killed in the outbreak according to human rights watch.

[/QUOTE]"We want the government to come and help us," said Abdullahi Ushman, who said he had seen rioters attacking people with firearms and bows and arrows, and had counted five bodies in his neighbourhood south of the city." [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately its not unheard of other sources say more than 13,500 people have died in religious or ethnic clashes across the West African country since the end of military rule in 1999, Source: Human Rights Watch.

S<Chowdhury
01-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Refering to your other question Why Violence has erupted. Though I am not totally sure, its what I've been reading for past couple of days.

Though there is other political factors which I am not sure of, Nigeria in simple terms is divided as 1 half of the majority is Christian, whilst other Islam, about 140 million people are divided between these religions, Christians the north whilst Muslims south. Islamic law was implemented in 12 northern states after Nigeria returned to civilian rule in 1999 following years of military rule, but for years now the Muslims wish to bring back Islam law and for "Western education is prohibited". And obviously the Christians are opposing it. Other factors that are contributing is the poverty as well, but it seems that its more religion lead than anything else, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Here are some footage caught over the years of violence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c350ZxrpRMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KivPj...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx0Psg4GKLE

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
01-21-2010, 08:28 PM
How very sad!
And a terrible example to the world which is watching! imsad

deepfreeze66
01-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I know friend of Nigeria, he tells me it is based on land ownership rights and cultural clash rather "religion vs religion"

or "ethnic battles".

So perhaps not title it Muslim vs Christians, but just "Clashes in Nigeria".

S<Chowdhury
01-21-2010, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deepfreeze66
I know friend of Nigeria, he tells me it is based on land ownership rights and cultural clash rather "religion vs religion"

or "ethnic battles".

Seems to be alot of problems that have spiralled into one big blood bath, really is :(

Ali_uk
01-21-2010, 10:28 PM

or "ethnic battles".

I have read about this, and I think you are correct there is more to it than religion. It is very sad either way.

deepfreeze66
01-21-2010, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_uk
I have read about this, and I think you are correct there is more to it than religion. It is very sad either way.
Oh yes yes yes, big bloodbath, and is very sad either direction. perhaps we should wish for the best because lives are being killed in Nigeria currently.....

S<Chowdhury
01-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Update :

Friday, January 22, 2010; 11:48 AM
JOS, Nigeria -- Muslim volunteers searched Friday among charred buildings in neighborhoods in central Nigeria for remains of people killed in sectarian violence earlier this week.

In the village of Kurujantar about 18 miles (30 kilometers) south of Jos, where sectarian violence began Sunday, volunteers found corpses shoved three-at-a-time into sewer pits and scattered in bushes. Nearly all the mud-walled homes were destroyed and the outside of the central mosque was completely burnt.

Resident Adamu Bala said rioters rampaged through the Muslim neighborhood on Monday. He said Friday that police warned villagers to flee before the riot, and then left. The words "New Jerusalem" were written in charcoal on the walls of houses. Bala says the mob killed and set alight his brother. Burning of corpses is considered desecration in Islam.

Days of fighting between Christians and Muslims has killed more than 200 people in Jos and its surrounding villages, according to Human Rights Watch and more than 5,000 have been displaced.

Wardhead Umaru Baza, 58, a community leader in the village said Friday that more than 300 are dead because of the violence.

He said the police did not head the community's call for help in the wake of violence in Jos, leaving the townspeople at risk when a mob of rioters came to attack. He said rioters were armed with new firearms.

Baza said he didn't know where his wife was. "Maybe she's dead," he said, wiping a single tear.

Sectarian violence in this central region of Nigeria has left thousands dead over the past decade. The latest outbreak came despite the government's efforts to quell religious extremism in the West African country.

The city is situated in Nigeria's "middle belt," where dozens of ethnic groups mingle in a band of fertile and hotly contested land separating the Muslim north from the predominantly Christian south.

There are conflicting accounts about what unleashed the recent bloodshed. According to the state police commissioner, skirmishes began after Muslim youths set a Christian church ablaze, but Muslim leaders denied that. Other community leaders say it began with an argument over the rebuilding of a Muslim home in a predominantly Christian neighborhood that had been destroyed in November 2008.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012202053.html

glo
01-23-2010, 12:40 PM

or "ethnic battles".

I think many wars and conflicts, which on the surface seem to be driven by religion, are really about people of different faiths fighting each other over land, resources and wealth.
Sadly people forget to consider God's will and commandments in all this ... imsad

Raaina
01-23-2010, 12:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by S<Chowdhury
Refering to your other question Why Violence has erupted. Though I am not totally sure, its what I've been reading for past couple of days.

Though there is other political factors which I am not sure of, Nigeria in simple terms is divided as 1 half of the majority is Christian, whilst other Islam, about 140 million people are divided between these religions, Christians the north whilst Muslims south. Islamic law was implemented in 12 northern states after Nigeria returned to civilian rule in 1999 following years of military rule, but for years now the Muslims wish to bring back Islam law and for "Western education is prohibited". And obviously the Christians are opposing it. Other factors that are contributing is the poverty as well, but it seems that its more religion lead than anything else, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Here are some footage caught over the years of violence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c350ZxrpRMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KivPj...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx0Psg4GKLE
I saw this on the news the other day, I wondered what could of possibly started all this off :(

S<Chowdhury
02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Jos… Nigeria’s Violence-ravage Paradise Cont

JOS – No other African city has the many blessings Jos has, from a European weather to scenery sights that leave visitors glued to its alluring nature.
But to residents, Jos is no longer that peaceful enclave, but rather a home to bloody ethno-religious violence that brutalized its peaceful atmosphere.

"I have lost all my sense of nostalgia and the idea of retiring to the serenity of the hills… because of the blood of innocent citizens that has been needlessly shed," Olayinka Oyegbile, a man in his late 50s and a senior journalist, told IslamOnline.net.

Many like him believe that the central city has lost its tranquility because of the deadly violence that has rocked it in the past few years.

Some 553 people, mostly Muslims, are believed to have been killed in four days of fighting in the central city of Jos and nearby villages.

Residents lament that Jos was never a violent place but now it is a place divided along ethnic and religious lines.

"Discrimination never existed here. As kids we attended mosques or churches alongside our childhood friends and nobody raised any eyebrow," recalls Oyegbile, who grew up in the city.

"We were brothers and sisters. We ate and celebrated with one another, and there was no discrimination based on ethnic or religious groupings."

Now instead of the welcoming notes, visitors are warned about imminent dangers or looming fighting.

Instead of blissful breeze, the nightfall brings with it the fear of what will happen before the daybreak and everyone sleeps with one eye open.

Police posts and checkpoints dot everywhere, including more than 20 within Jos alone.

The checkpoints reach all the way to Kuru Kurama, a village some 35 kilometers away where 150 Muslim bodies were found stuffed into wells last week.

"There are boundaries everywhere," says Titus Mann, Civil Liberties Organization (CLO) President.

"Every one now minds his business."

Indigene-Settler Syndrome

Jos is one of Nigeria’s most cosmopolitan cities, because of its diverse ethnic and religious populations.

It has many ethnicities including the Beroms, the Noks - both considered the aborigines - the Yorubas from Southwestern Nigeria and the Igbos from the country’s South eastern region.

Until 1994, when the so-called ethno-religious crisis emerged, Jos had been spared the violence that ripped much of Northern Nigeria since 1970s.

But residents blame the loss of their peaceful life on what some call the indigene-settler syndrome that ripped the city apart.

"The source of the crisis is the issue of indigenes and settlers," Segun Ojemuyiwa, who was born in Jos some three decades ago, told IOL.

Some believe the seed of the crisis was sown with the creation for the Muslim Hausa-Fulani community by the military regime of Ibrahim Babangida a little over two decades ago.

"The indigenes hate the Hausa settlers whom they accuse of planning to Islamize their fatherland," says Ojemuyiwa.

Dung Joshua, a Berom man, says the anger in Jos flows from feelings by indigenes that the "Northern Oligarchy" wants to spread their tentacles everywhere.

The Northern Oligarchy refers to the political influence of the Muslim Hausa-Fulani ruling class, as established by late renowned scholar Sheikh Uthman Dan Fodio in the early 19th century.

"There is this jitters that they want to impose themselves on everybody."

But Hausas like Uthman Audu, a 34-year-old cattle farmer, says the natives fear that they want to usurp their land, which is not true.

"They insist you cannot build a house or operates your business somewhere because you are not an indigene," he said.

"This discrimination is so prevalent. We are treated like second-class citizens here."

Oyegbile, the senior journalist who is also a non-indigene, agrees.

"Why should Nigerians go to Britain or the US and after spending five years become citizens and live freely when my over thirty years of sojourn in a part of my country cannot qualify me for any benefit because I am not an indigene?"

He fears that until Nigeria, a multi-religious society with 50 percent of the population Muslims and 40 percent Christians, confronts its monster of religious and ethnic fanaticism, the episodes of killing innocent people will not stop.

"No country can progress under such an atmosphere."

Amadeus85
03-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Yesterday muslims' attack on village in central Nigeria left 500 dead people. The place is called Dogo Nahava, at the south of the city Jos. The attack took place at the 3 AM.

http://www.konserwatyzm.pl/aktualnos...iadomosc/5307/

Amadeus85
03-09-2010, 02:48 PM
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

S<Chowdhury
03-09-2010, 02:49 PM
imsad500 victim - mass burial very sad

S<Chowdhury
03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Telegraph Video report

Media Tags are no longer supported

ardianto
03-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Very sad. In every conflict, majority of victims are innocent peoples.

I hope massacre would never happen again in Nigeria and in the world.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.