/* */

PDA

View Full Version : moving to a new city!

AnonymousPoster
01-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Hi, I have moved to birmingham to live with my husband about 2 months ago. I am finding it really hard to make friends and settle in. I am orginially from yorkshire. I have no family here.

Most of my husbands family lives in birmingham but they are very busy with there own lives/kids, etc.

I am not currently work and have no kids. I am finding it hard to find a job, but have been trying. I just don;t think its the mean to be yet!

Just after a bit of advice. If anyone can suggest anything i would be very greatful.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
01-22-2010, 07:13 AM
:sl:
3 months is nearly nothing of a time span to make new friends :) perhaps going to lectures/places you know where a lot of sisters are could get things rolling. all the best.

Raaina
01-22-2010, 08:26 AM
It's very hard moving to a new place and making friends.
Perhaps you could go on a course and meet people or as sister Umm ul-Shaheed said attend some lectures.

There are lots of people here to from Birmingham, or at least nearby, maybe you could get to know them better :)

CosmicPathos
01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
On that note, can someone please guide me on the ruling of making "friends" in Islam? How is the concept of friendship in Islam different from that in the Western societies? I am asking this because I certainly do not have many "friends" so I am just wondering if I am actually being sinful for not being friends with good Muslims in my area!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Raaina
01-22-2010, 08:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
On that note, can someone please guide me on the ruling of making "friends" in Islam? How is the concept of friendship in Islam different from that in the Western societies? I am asking this because I certainly do not have many "friends" so I am just wondering if I am actually being sinful for not being friends with good Muslims in my area!
Taken from Islamonline.org

"Question: Salam again,

It is said in the Quran that we should not take non-Muslims as friends over Muslims. But I am wondering, if it is a family member such as a female cousin (I am female) then is this ok? Or should I make Muslim friends?

Answer: Bismillah,

The rules and principles of Islam are general and inclusive. Therefore, men and women are equal in commands. You should make GOOD Muslim friends and not only Muslim friends. Your best friend is the one who advises you when you make a mistake, and joins you in your practice of Islam. Wallahu A'lam, and Allah knows best. Wassalam.

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...#ixzz0dKR765jH

Ali_uk
01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
Answer: Bismillah,

The rules and principles of Islam are general and inclusive. Therefore, men and women are equal in commands. You should make GOOD Muslim friends and not only Muslim friends. Your best friend is the one who advises you when you make a mistake, and joins you in your practice of Islam. Wallahu A'lam, and Allah knows best. Wassalam.

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...#ixzz0dKR765jH
This is hard to understand when it is written like this, good muslim friends over good friends of other faiths?

But i agree the best friend is the one "advises you when you make a mistake, and joins you in your practice of Islam"

Raaina
01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_uk
This is hard to understand when it is written like this, good muslim friends over good friends of other faiths?

But i agree the best friend is the one "advises you when you make a mistake, and joins you in your practice of Islam"
Ali,

It doesn't say have muslim friends over good friends of other faiths, it says have muslim friends and non muslim friends :statisfie

AnonymousPoster
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Thank you for all the advices.

It might not be enough time to make friends but i really don;t know where to start.

Could someone in birmingham tell me whats available for sister in the area and what places to go to make friends and possible anything else i could do.

thanks

Raaina
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Thank you for all the advices.

It might not be enough time to make friends but i really don;t know where to start.

Could someone in birmingham tell me whats available for sister in the area and what places to go to make friends and possible anything else i could do.

thanks
Sister, you can visit here: http://centralmosque.org.uk/
They will probably be able to put you in touch with other muslimas locally to you :statisfie

Rabi'ya
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
:sl: sister

I do have some advice......go places and meet more people. there are plenty of activities for women in birmingham. why dont u try to get a part time job? if time permits. what about studying an adult learning course part time. or better still volunteering for a charity. these are all beneficial to you and sometimes others and will give youa boost, and a way to meet new friends inshAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.