/* */

PDA

View Full Version : If you could build something for your religion?

Clover
01-23-2010, 02:55 AM
If you could build/carve/design/create 1 thing for your religion (God, Gods, No God, etc) what would it be? Mine would be a Shishi for a Shrine. Here is what I would "attempt" to carve:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
//-Asif-\\
01-23-2010, 03:40 AM
An Islamic Supercenter. I think that's the best way to put it because I had first thought of putting mall/youth recreation/facility

There would be a Masjid first and foremost but also attached to the center would be an Islamic/Academic School K-12. Along with that would be a state of the art recreation center or gym for sports and such, a library, a dinner/wedding/event hall, a cafe/restaurant that sells halal food,a clinic, a Daw'ah center, stores that house and sell the latest Islamic CD's, books, electronics etc.

It would pretty much be a mini-mall/town hall/times square for Muslims. I mean, as Muslims, we're supposed to treat the Masjid as our town hall for events and to air grievances, have dialogue and discussions and the like rather then just somewhere where we just pray and hightail out of.

This would be a place that would attract non-Muslims for dialogue and have interfaith mingling and events. It would lend a helping hand out to young Muslims especially, attracting them to the Center and keeping them out of trouble by going to normal malls and functions where there is evil and temptation all around them and puts them in a positive setting and atmosphere for them to learn, have fun and build their faith.

InshAllah this should and will be something that will come to fruition one day and not just be a pipedream on a forum.

Beardo
01-23-2010, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by //-Asif-\\
An Islamic Supercenter. I think that's the best way to put it because I had first thought of putting mall/youth recreation/facility

There would be a Masjid first and foremost but also attached to the center would be an Islamic/Academic School K-12. Along with that would be a state of the art recreation center or gym for sports and such, a library, a dinner/wedding/event hall, a cafe/restaurant that sells halal food,a clinic, a Daw'ah center, stores that house and sell the latest Islamic CD's, books, electronics etc.

It would pretty much be a mini-mall/town hall/times square for Muslims. I mean, as Muslims, we're supposed to treat the Masjid as our town hall for events and to air grievances, have dialogue and discussions and the like rather then just somewhere where we just pray and hightail out of.

This would be a place that would attract non-Muslims for dialogue and have interfaith mingling and events. It would lend a helping hand out to young Muslims especially, attracting them to the Center and keeping them out of trouble by going to normal malls and functions where there is evil and temptation all around them and puts them in a positive setting and atmosphere for them to learn, have fun and build their faith.

InshAllah this should and will be something that will come to fruition one day and not just be a pipedream on a forum.
Oh that sounds so dreamy.

Insha'Allah we can all work towards this one day. Oh, it sounds SO beautiful.

Aren't they building a $40 Million masjid in London or something like this?

sur
01-23-2010, 04:39 AM
An army... & new kind of weapons.... Like a space-ship.... :) InshALLAH.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supreme
01-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I would build a massive Protestant church in the center of Jerusalem. I would style it on the old Jewish Temple- that is, it'd be open air, have courts and the Holy of Holies would be substituted as the present day Church of the Holy Sepulchre, located at the center of the compund. Even though it would be majority Protestant, Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians would be perfectly welcome to worship there too. It'd be a work of art, with a capacity of around 80,000. Yes indeed.

glo
01-23-2010, 12:35 PM
The thing I would most like to see built (and I believe I am called to do so by Jesus) is the kingdom of God, as it is said:
"Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

Grace Seeker
01-24-2010, 02:26 AM
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell... I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell" --C.T. Studd

So, I guess that is what I would try to build, a rescue mission.

جوري
01-24-2010, 04:45 AM
building something wildly ornamented for your place of worship is superficial. In fact it is said in Islam that one of the signs of the day of judgment are the decorated Qurans and mosques. a place of worship should merely protect from rain or sun, it is what is in the heart that counts not the decorations..
http://www.scribd.com/doc/87992/The-...y-of-Judgement

I imagine churches are decorated with stain glass, candles and statues and endless colored jesuses to makeup for the fatuity of the faith. If you lack substance and creed, you'll makeup for it with robust tall tales, idol effigies and ornamentation!

peace

Life_Is_Short
01-24-2010, 05:01 AM
I would build a russell group university for islamic education in the west.

Clover
01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I imagine churches are decorated with stain glass, candles and statues and endless colored jesuses to makeup for the fatuity of the faith. If you lack substance and creed, you'll makeup for it with robust tall tales, idol effigies and ornamentation!

peace
Sad that you think that. A lot of people enjoy making stained glass windows, my aunt makes them for churches and she loves it, and its just a hobby for her not even a job...

جوري
01-24-2010, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
Sad that you think that. A lot of people enjoy making stained glass windows, my aunt makes them for churches and she loves it, and its just a hobby for her not even a job...
my uncle is an engineer who also works with stain glass on the side, I just don't think hobbies have a place where you go and worship.. not there to admire the art but for the love of God!

peace

Clover
01-24-2010, 05:18 PM
my uncle is an engineer who also works with stain glass on the side, I just don't think hobbies have a place where you go and worship.. not there to admire the art but for the love of God!

peace
Well, I don't really have a place to worship. I worship wherever is conveniant. For me, I would want Shishi in my Shrine (if I live to build one in a family shrine this is) for the purpose their meant in all Shrines (or at least all of them I know of).

I believe it depends on how people feel about where they go to worship. I know they removed the stain glass out of my old church, the clock, and all kinds of stuff, said it was taking away time to pray and study the bible. It is a blank place now, although built in the style of most churches are here.

deepfreeze66
01-24-2010, 05:24 PM
building something wildly ornamented for your place of worship is superficial. In fact it is said in Islam that one of the signs of the day of judgment are the decorated Qurans and mosques. a place of worship should merely protect from rain or sun, it is what is in the heart that counts not the decorations..
http://www.scribd.com/doc/87992/The-...y-of-Judgement

peace
Yeah, everyone does that though. Even Muslim extremists (AND christian, AND hindu, AND buddhist) try to use symbolism to make them look tough and scary.

RAWR!!!!!

If you do not got it, you use symbolism to get your point across.

Clover
01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deepfreeze66
Yeah, everyone does that though. Even Muslim extremists (AND christian, AND hindu, AND buddhist) try to use symbolism to make them look tough and scary.

RAWR!!!!!

If you do not have it, sorry had to correct that, my friend yells at me for saying got.

Not everyone does it. Some people don't even have buildings they go in nature. I know some Pagans/Wicca members who do that.

So, you think all people who put anything in their place of worship, doesn't have the point? I am confused.

Supreme
01-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Well I personally think churches should be beautiful; indeed, many I've visited have been amongst the most stunning pieces of architecture ever concieved by human minds. They should be beautiful to reflect the beauty of God. That is of course my opinion; my church, despite being incredibly modern (and somehow incredibly rich), is a simple building. The only cross is on the glass doors into the building. I was surprised.

I also like places of worship that combine natural beauty with the beauty of the church. My avatar, the Church of the Beatitudes in Israel features the Sea of Galilee as a stunning backdrop. When I went to Greece, I found many of the stunning blue domed Orthodox churches there also had the blue sea as a backdrop. I might post some in the places of worship thread to show what I mean.

glo
01-24-2010, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Well I personally think churches should be beautiful; indeed, many I've visited have been amongst the most stunning pieces of architecture ever concieved by human minds. They should be beautiful to reflect the beauty of God. That is of course my opinion; my church, despite being incredibly modern (and somehow incredibly rich), is a simple building. The only cross is on the glass doors into the building. I was surprised.
When a representation from the congregation of the local mosque visited our church, they commented on how they had a sense of 'The Holy' and of God's presence in the building.
That was quite a beautiful comment to hear, especially coming from non-Christians!

جوري
01-24-2010, 06:09 PM

RAWR!!!!!

Indeed I agree, but as you can see from the link that I have included that, that, that is a sign of the end (the beginning of demise) and shows superficiality in beliefs. Early Muslims didn't have any ornamentation but they had empires they knew what mattered, now they have money and no substance. So bottom line is symbolism means nothing!

all the best

Supreme
01-24-2010, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
When a representation from the congregation of the local mosque visited our church, they commented on how they had a sense of 'The Holy' and of God's presence in the building.
That was quite a beautiful comment to hear, especially coming from non-Christians!
At a guess I'd say you go to one of the beautiful old stone churches. You know the type: pre Victorian, bell tower, organ, stain glass windows, the works. Bin ich richtig?

deepfreeze66
01-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Indeed I agree, but as you can see from the link that I have included that, that, that is a sign of the end (the beginning of demise) and shows superficiality in beliefs. Early Muslims didn't have any ornamentation but they had empires they knew what mattered, now they have money and no substance. So bottom line is symbolism means nothing!

all the best
Yes of course, I completely agree with that sentiment. I know that the prophet (pbuh) would be totally against the symbolism of today.

Clover, you must under I am from taiwan and I am HALF CHINESE.... so I cannot speak english that good! But you get the point. Read my post again and then Gossamer's post just now to get the point if you do not understand my language.

Clover
01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes of course, I completely agree with that sentiment. I know that the prophet (pbuh) would be totally against the symbolism of today.

Clover, you must under I am from taiwan and I am HALF CHINESE.... so I cannot speak english that good! But you get the point. Read my post again and then Gossamer's post just now to get the point if you do not understand my language.
I don't care if your HALF CHINESE, you speak English, and I corrected you. Life goes on.

What is the 'point' that people do not have if they are using symbols? That the world is coming to an end? If the world is truly coming to an end, using symbols isn't going to mean crap. If the world is coming to a end, it doesn't matter if you take out every single ornament or decoration, it's coming either way.

Karl
01-25-2010, 11:25 AM
I am with Gossamer skye with this one, I think Holy places should be simple, like Jesus used to preach from a small hill or where ever was handy. Flashy places of worship become more interested in collecting money than the worship of God. Religion becomes a business and the businesses fight for dominion and create wars.

I do like the look of elegant mosques and big squat towering Gothic Cathedrals. But I don't see anything Holy in them. Establishing a vast nature reserve would be my thing.

glo
01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
At a guess I'd say you go to one of the beautiful old stone churches. You know the type: pre Victorian, bell tower, organ, stain glass windows, the works. Bin ich richtig?
How did you guess??? :)

I do indeed - although I spent several years with a non-denominational church, which met in a school hall.
The building wasn't so beautiful, but God was present there too! :statisfie

Trumble
01-27-2010, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
If you could build/carve/design/create 1 thing for your religion (God, Gods, No God, etc) what would it be?
My first thought would be to rebuild the Bamiyan statues destroyed by the Taliban, but on second thoughts that wouldn't really be a very 'Buddhist' thing to do. When something's time is up, it's up and you shouldn't cling onto it.

What I would choose instead is the construction of a hospice and it's establishment as a charitable foundation, with the best possible facilities both for patient care and for training people of all (or no) religions in both caring for the dying and the bereaved. I am truly inspired by how many Buddhist monastics and lay-people choose that path particularly, and perhaps a little surprisingly, in the United States.

ardianto
01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
My first thought would be to rebuild the Bamiyan statues destroyed by the Taliban, but on second thoughts that wouldn't really be a very 'Buddhist' thing to do. When something's time is up, it's up and you shouldn't cling onto it.
We are sorry Trumble.

What I would choose instead is the construction of a hospice and it's establishment as a charitable foundation, with the best possible facilities both for patient care and for training people of all (or no) religions in both caring for the dying and the bereaved. I am truly inspired by how many Buddhist monastics and lay-people choose that path particularly, and perhaps a little surprisingly, in the United States.

This is a photo when Buddha Tzu Chi foundation Indonesia gave free medical service for Muslims people in Aceh several months after tsunami. Buddha Tzu Chi foundation often gave charities for Muslims people, and Muslims people always welcome them because they have no hidden bad intention in giving charities, but always sincerely. Even usually they make co-operation with local Muslim 'Majlis Taqlim' when they give charities to Muslims people.

I do not praise Buddhism, but I must show a fact, Buddhists people help many Muslims in Indonesia.

Trumble
01-27-2010, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I do not praise Buddhism, but I must show a fact, Buddhists people help many Muslims in Indonesia.
All of the 'great' religions share common values as to how we should behave towards our fellow human beings in distress, regardless of their religion. While I might dispute (elsewhere!) where those values originate, there is no doubt that deeply religious people are usually also deeply caring and compassionate people.

cat eyes
01-27-2010, 06:23 PM
if i had the money id build as much mosques as possible especially in the county side incase people have problems getting in and out to the city. if possible inshaAllah id turn old abandoned houses and churches in to mosques also.. not anything fancy as long as muslims have a place to pray which reminds me theres an old abandoned protestant church where my grandparents married nobody goes there now. its a waste really.i i know people have the money and they can do so much with it.

ardianto
01-28-2010, 04:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
All of the 'great' religions share common values as to how we should behave towards our fellow human beings in distress, regardless of their religion. While I might dispute (elsewhere!) where those values originate, there is no doubt that deeply religious people are usually also deeply caring and compassionate people.
Read again my previous post, I said "They (Buddhists) have no hidden bad intention in giving charities". That was because some people (not Buddhists) offering aid and financial help to Muslims with a condition, Muslims leave Islam and follow their religion. But I am sure, that only some extremists, and extremism is also exist in Islam.

I agree, deeply religious people are usually also deeply caring and compassionate people.

Donia
01-28-2010, 04:32 AM
I would really like to build some type of shelter for Muslims particularly focused on women and children with nowhere else to go. If I could have my way, I would love to open one in Egypt. When I went there to visit years ago, I was blown away by how many homeless and very poor people there were. Also there are so many widows or divorced women who have nowhere to go, no family to help and they are just on their own. Often they don't even have any education/degrees to even get a decent job.

I would love to have a shelter to give these women and their children a safe place to go to regroup. Women could take classes to further their education and the children could be watched so they wouldn't be distracted. Everyone would get clothes, a few toys, access to showers/baths daily and food to eat. Also regular islamic classes.

When I see people like this who are suffering, it just really makes me realize how much people take for granted. Even being able to simply get a glass of water when you want one or take a hot bath, some people do not even have that luxury.

SubhanAllah.. it is something I have thought about for awhile but I highly doubt I would ever be able to afford it. Also I have the concern that if I do it in Egypt, it would become crowded very quick and I would have to turn people away.. imsad

Just a dream.

Grace Seeker
01-28-2010, 08:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Donia
I would really like to build some type of shelter for Muslims particularly focused on women and children with nowhere else to go. If I could have my way, I would love to open one in Egypt. When I went there to visit years ago, I was blown away by how many homeless and very poor people there were. Also there are so many widows or divorced women who have nowhere to go, no family to help and they are just on their own. Often they don't even have any education/degrees to even get a decent job.

I would love to have a shelter to give these women and their children a safe place to go to regroup. Women could take classes to further their education and the children could be watched so they wouldn't be distracted. Everyone would get clothes, a few toys, access to showers/baths daily and food to eat. Also regular islamic classes.
Would you also offer this to any of the women and children of Egypt who were Coptic Christians, instead of Muslims, but were in just as much need as what you describe above?

ardianto
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
and extremism is also exist in Islam.
I mean extremism is exist in Muslims community.

There is no religion that teach hatred and extremism. Extremism never existed in any religion, but only in some of their believers.

Thanks to someone who gave me rep and correction. :)

Donia
01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Would you also offer this to any of the women and children of Egypt who were Coptic Christians, instead of Muslims, but were in just as much need as what you describe above?
That is possible Grace Seeker. If there was a Christian woman in Egypt with children that needed help, I couldn't see myself turning her away just because of her faith.

There are so many Christian based shelters where I live and a pretty big one just for women and children. I am sure they don't turn people away just because they are Muslim though at least I hope not.

I have not seen any shelters just targeted for Muslims but I have seen plenty for Christians. I'm sure either wouldn't turn someone from the other faith away if their real intention is to help those in need. Just my humble opinion.

Grace Seeker
01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Donia
I have not seen any shelters just targeted for Muslims but I have seen plenty for Christians. I'm sure either wouldn't turn someone from the other faith away if their real intention is to help those in need. Just my humble opinion.
I would hope not as well. :thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.