/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayers

AnonymousPoster
01-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Do you pray both the fardh & sunna prayers? Is it okay to skip the sunna prayer?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
01-23-2010, 07:40 AM
It's obligatory to pray the fard prayer and there is no excuse to leave it at all. If you are ill and you cannot pray standing then pray sitting, if you are bed ridden then pray while laying down but you must pray.

Sunnah prayers are not obligatory. Some Sunnah prayers are more stressed then others but I recommend that you pray all the Sunnah prayers because the hadeeth that mention the virtues of praying Sunnah prayers are many.

mish mash
01-23-2010, 02:04 PM
u hav 2 reed fard but dont hav 2 reed sunnah but u get more reward if u reed sunnah.

'Abd-al Latif
01-23-2010, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mish mash
u hav 2 reed fard but dont hav 2 reed sunnah but u get more reward if u reed sunnah.
There is no two fard. The only two fard are the fard of Fajr.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dagless
01-23-2010, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
There is no two fard. The only two fard are the fard of Fajr.
2 = to

Man, get with the youth.

Insaanah
01-23-2010, 10:07 PM
:sl:

^ I think 2 is being used as an abbreviation of "to", meaning you have to read fardh. It does get confusing when people write text message language in a forum.

M..x
01-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Lol. ^^ Its better for us to pray tha Sunnah... As tha Prophet [pbuh] was tha best of example, its better to strive our best to follow that; hence showing tha importance and virtue of such prayers. =) I have a question also...
Some people combine their Salah, under what circumstances is this allowed? As far as I am aware, its only if you are travelling a certain distance away right? & Can it be done if there is fear that one of tha prayers are gunna be missed? & We are only allowed to combine Zuhr/Asr and Maghrib/Isha right? Just need clarification InshAllah... JazakAllah Khair in advance... =)

Dagless
01-25-2010, 01:50 PM
I would also like clarification on Isha. Can you pray 4 fard and then the 3 witr (since this is also compulsory) straight after? I was always taught to do 4 fard then 2 sunnah, and then 3 witr even if I wasn't praying any other sunnah prayer. So can these 2 sunnah also be missed?

Thanks.

'Abd-al Latif
01-25-2010, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ferown
I would also like clarification on Isha. Can you pray 4 fard and then the 3 witr (since this is also compulsory) straight after? I was always taught to do 4 fard then 2 sunnah, and then 3 witr even if I wasn't praying any other sunnah prayer. So can these 2 sunnah also be missed?

Thanks.
The four fard rak'ah are the fard you pray with the imam and not any other pray at the time of Ishaa. Witr is not fard/wajib, though the ahnaaf (hanafi madhab) may differ at this. The only wajib prayers are the five daily prayers and to say that witr is a wajib or compulsory prayer means that you are adding a 6th prayer along with the five daily prayers which further implies that leaving witr is a major sin. This is not true, rather witr is a sunnah muakaddah (highly recommended sunnah) and leaving it is not a major sin because it is not among the five daily prayers.

tango92
01-25-2010, 10:17 PM
see now how do everyday joes like me know who to follow the hanafis or shafis

'Abd-al Latif
01-25-2010, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
It is not obligatory to follow a madhab but if you see a hadeeth of the Prophet :saws: and it is saheeh (authentic) then it is obligatory upon you to follow that. Leave the sayings of men as long as it does not contradict the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Muhammad
01-25-2010, 10:27 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
Regarding the question of this thread, it doesn't matter which maddhab you follow - I am sure they will all encourage us to pray all the Sunnah prayers, as this can only lead to good.

Question: Can I just pray the obligatory prayers only and skip the non-obligatory prayers.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Observing the naafil (supererogatory) prayers and offering them regularly is one of the greatest means of earning the love of Allaah and it brings Paradise and divine mercy. Al-Bukhaari narrated (6502) that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whosoever shows enmity to someone devoted to Me, I shall be at war with him. My servant draws not near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it. I do not hesitate about anything as much as I hesitate about [seizing] the soul of My faithful servant: he hates death and I hate hurting him.”

So the Muslim should be very ambitious and keen, and should not accept anything less than that; rather he should seek to carry out his religious duties completely and perfectly, as he is required to do with regard to his worldly duties.

However, if a Muslim restricts himself to doing only the obligatory duties, in prayer and in other matters, and does not fall short in any of that, there is no sin on him, even though neglecting the Sunnahs in general is something blameworthy according to the scholars and Imam Ahmad said: “Whoever does not pray Witr is a bad man whose testimony should not be accepted.”

Al-Bukhaari (46) and Muslim (110) narrated that Talhah ibn ‘Ubayd-Allaah said: A man came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and when he drew close to him he asked him about Islam. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Five prayers each day and night.” He said: “Do I have to do anything else?” He said: “No, not unless you do it voluntarily.” And the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “And fasting Ramadaan.” He said: “Do I have to do anything else?” He said: “No, not unless you do it voluntarily.” And the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told him about zakaah. He said: “Do I have to do anything else?” He said: “No, not unless you do it voluntarily.” The man left, saying, “By Allaah, I will not do any more than this or any less.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He will succeed, if he is speaking the truth.”

Al-Nawawi said: This is to be understood as meaning that he did not offer naafil prayers and he did not omit any of the obligatory prayers. Such a person will undoubtedly be successful, even though his persisting in not offering Sunnah prayers is something blameworthy for which his testimony is to be rejected. But he is not sinning thereby, rather he will be successful and will attain salvation. And Allaah knows best.

Sharh Muslim, 1/121

It should be noted that the naafil prayers bring immense reward and great virtue. It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The first of his deeds for which a person will be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection will be his prayer. If it is sound then he will have succeeded but if it is not sound then he will be lost and doomed. If anything is lacking from his obligatory prayers, the Lord will say: ‘Look and see whether My slave has any voluntary (prayers),’ and the shortfall from his obligatory prayers will be made up from that. Then all his deeds will be dealt with in like manner.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 413; Abu Dawood, 864; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever prays twelve rak’ahs each day and night, a house will be built for him in Paradise because of them.” Narrated by Muslim, 728

May Allaah help you to do your best and to say and do that which is good and true. And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21170

جوري
01-26-2010, 03:47 PM
^^ jazaks

can you shed light on these nawfil (names), how many rak'as they are, when they are performed. etc.

just for all the members, those who know refresh and those who don't will learn something useful insha'Allah..

:w:

'Abd-al Latif
01-26-2010, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
^^ jazaks

can you shed light on these nawfil (names), how many rak'as they are, when they are performed. etc.

just for all the members, those who know refresh and those who don't will learn something useful insha'Allah..

:w:
After the fard prayers every other prayer is 2 rak'ah except for witr. 'Eid prayers are prayed in 2 rak'ah, tahajjud/taraweeh/qiyaam al-layl is prayed in 2, sunnah prayers before or after the obligatory are prayed in 2, prayer for traveling, istikhaara, salatul tawbaah etc and all other nawafil prayers are 2.

In case you are referring to Muhammad's post then the 12 rak'ah are the sunnah prayers after the obligatory prayers. 2 before fajr, 4 before dhuhr (prayer in 2 rak'ah and then another 2 rak'ah) and 2 after dhuhr, 2 after mahrib and 2 after ishaa.

'Abd-al Latif
01-26-2010, 04:10 PM
The excellence of optional prayers

Q.
What The excellence of optional Prayers?

A.
Praise be to Allaah.

1. The mother of the faithfull Umm Habibah Ramilah bint Abu Sufyan Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that she heard the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam saying: “A house will be built in paradise for every Muslim who offers twelve Rak’ah of optional salah other than the obligatory salah in day and night, to seek pleasure of Allah.” Narrated by Muslim.

Note : these extra 12 rakaats of optional prayers, according to Imam Nasaai and Tirmithi are : 2 rakaats before the obligatory prayer of Early morning (fajr), and 4 rakaats before (Duhr) and 2 rakaats after it ,and 2 rakaats after the obligatory of early evening prayer (magrib) and 2 rakaats after the obligatory prayer of night (isha) prayer.

2. Abu Huraira Radhiallahu ‘anhu said : “My Khalil (friend) (the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam) advised me to observe three things and I shall not leave them till I die: 1. “To observe Saum (fasting) three days every (lunar) month; 2.” To offer the Duha prayer; 3. To offer Witr prayer before sleeping.” Naratted by Bukhari and Muslim.

3. Aisha radhiyallahu ‘anha narrated that the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said : “The two rakaats before dawn (fajr) prayer are better than the word and all that it contains.” Narrated by Muslim.

4. Aisha radhiyallahu ‘anha narrated that the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam was never more regular and strict in offering any Nawafil than the two rakaats (sunnah before) dawn (fajr) prayer. Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.

5. Umm Habiba radhiyallahu ‘anha narrated that the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said : “Whoever, observes the practice of offering four rak’ahs before Duhr prayer and four rak’ahs after it. Allah will shield him against the fire of hell.” Narrated bay Abu Daud and At-Tirmithi.

6. One should make Witr as the last salah (prayer) (at night).

Abdullah bin Umar Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated thet the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said : “Make Witr as your last salah (prayer) at night.” Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.

7. If anyone enters a mosque, he should offer two raka’ah before sitting.

Abu Qatada Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that the Prophet Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said : “If any one of you enters a mosque, he should pray two raka’ats before sitting.” Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.

8. Abu Huraira Radhiallahu ‘anhu narrated that Allah’s Messenger Shalallahu ‘alaihi wa Salam said to Bilal Radhiallahu ‘anhu “Tell me about the most hopeful act (i.e one which you deem the most rewarding with Allah) you have done since your acceptance of Islam because I heard the sound of the steps of your shoes in front of me in paradise.” Bilal said : “I do not consider any act more hopeful than that whenever I make ablution (wudoo) at any time of night or day, I offer salah (prayer) for as long as was destined for me to offer.” Narrated by Al-bukhari and Muslim.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/12844/nawafil

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.