/* */

PDA

View Full Version : parties!!

mish mash
01-23-2010, 02:49 PM
elow, :)

i was just wondering are parties haram?

because i asked my parents if i could go to my friendz

birthday party (a party with just my friiends) and they said no :( so i said 'ok then'.

but then i asked my dad and he said that they are haram are they really

haram?
thank you x
:)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Yusuf Saeed
01-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Assalamu alaikum!

Yes, your parents were right, we Muslims are not to celebrate birthday parties due to their pagan origin and because now birthdays are mostly celebrated by Christians. Of course also because our Prophet Muhammad (:saws:.) never celebrated his birthday.

islamlover_girl
01-23-2010, 03:05 PM
if this party contain music , dance,boys and girls or any other haram thing then it`s sure haram.

Life_Is_Short
01-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Well, my parents are the same and i agree 100% when they say no going out to friends house.

Why don't you invite them over to your house and have a nice halal PARTAY!!?

Birthday parties are not allowed but halal gatherings are. :) By halal i mean no music, boys, dancing etc.

Don't disobey your parents for the sake of friendship. It's not worth it, trust me, i've been through this.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Raaina
01-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Sorry, I am confused.

So is celebrating birthday's haraam as well as parties? or just the parties?

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-23-2010, 03:25 PM
:sl:
Yes, Parties which include mingling of boys and girls and birthday parties are haraam in Islam

Muhammad
01-23-2010, 03:44 PM
:sl:

Please remember that when speaking about the ruling on an Islamic issue, we should avoid speaking from our own personal opinion. Rather we should speak according to the evidence from the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Celebrating birthdays is not allowed

Q. What is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

A. The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/115

Q. What is the ruling on attending an invitation for dinner at a friend’s house without it being clearly stated that this occasion is for the birthday of one of the family and without any congratulations or mention of the birthday, but the only problem is that the day of the invitation is the birthday and there will be a cake after the dinner?.

A. Praise be to Allaah.

It is not acceptable to celebrate the birthday of anyone, because if that is done as an act of worship in order to draw closer to Allaah, it is an innovation (bid’ah) because it is not mentioned in sharee’ah. If it is done repeatedly, as a habit, then it becomes an innovated festival or eid, and an imitation of the non-Muslims from whom these celebrations have been taken. See the answer to question no. 1027.

If a person is invited to a meal and he knows or thinks it most likely that it is a celebration of the birthday of one of the people, then it is not prescribed for him to attend, because his attending is approval of the evil deed and helping in it. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Help you one another in Al‑Birr and At‑Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allaah. Verily, Allaah is Severe in punishment”
[al-Maa’idah 5:2]

See also the answer to question no. 9485

And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/104446/birthday

Muhammad
01-23-2010, 03:50 PM
The ruling concerning celebrating birthdays

Question: What is the ruling concerning celebrating birthdays?

Response: Celebrating birthdays has no source whatsoever in the pure Sharee'ah. In fact, it is an innovation, since the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said:

((Whoever introduces anything into this matter of ours that does not belong to it shall have that action rejected)). This was recorded by both al-Bukhaaree and Muslim.

In a version recorded by Muslim and by al-Bukhaaree in definitive muallaq form:

((Whoever performs a deed which is not in accord with our affairs, that deed is rejected)).

It is well-known that the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) did not celebrate his birthday at all during his lifetime nor did he ever order it to be celebrated. Nor did he teach such to his Companions. Therefore, the rightly-guided caleephs and all of his Companions did not celebrate it. They are the most knowledgeable of the people concerning his sunnah and they are the most beloved to the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam). They were also the most keen upon following whatever the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) brought. Therefore, if one is supposed to celebrate the Prophet's birthday, this would have been made evident at their time.

Similarly, not one of the scholars of the best generations celebrated his birthday nor did they order it to be done. Therefore, it is known from the above that such a celebration is not from the Law that Allaah sent Muhammad (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) with. We ask Allaah and all Muslims to witness that if the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) had done so or ordered such to be done, or even if his Companions had done so, we would rush to do it and call others to do it. This is because, and all praises are due to Allaah, we are the most keen in following his sunnah and respecting his commands and prohibitions.

We ask Allaah, for ourselves and for all of our brethren Muslims, steadfastness upon the truth, avoiding everything that differs from Allaah's pure Sharee'ah. Verily, He is Generous and Noble.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz

Fataawa al-Mar.ah

Celebrating birthdays and anniversaries

Question: What is the ruling regarding celebrating children's birthdays or marriage anniversaries?

Response: There are no (legislated) celebrations in Islaam except the day of Jumu'ah which is the 'Eed of the week, and the first day of Shawwaal is the day of 'Eed al-Fitr and the tenth day of Dhul-Hijjah is the day of 'Eed al-Adhaa. And often the day of 'Arafah is called 'Eed for the people of 'Arafah (the ones performing Hajj) and the days of Tashreeq (11th, 12th and 13th of Dhul-Hijjah) are also the days of 'Eed following on from 'Eed al-Adhaa.

As for birthdays of people or children or marriage anniversaries and the like, then all of these have not been legislated and are an innovation.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
al-Bid'u wal-Muhdathaat wa maa laa Asla lahu - Page 224;
Fataawa fadheelatush-Shaykh Muhammad as-Saalih al-'Uthaymeen - Volume 2, Page 302

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.