/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

owenlikesknowin
01-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey im new to the forums - I'm Owen, I'm an atheist and, well I dont know all that much about islam if im honest, although I am fully aware of the areas I need to go to brush up :)

I have been posting a lot on Christain forums, and I want to start here too - Seeing as Xianity and Islam are the two major religions - why not eh?

My questions are these:

1. Say i began to believe in a God. Why should I chose Islam over Christianity?

2. Are the two Gods the same or not (never fully got that)

Thanks,
Owen.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
01-24-2010, 02:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by owenlikesknowin
Hey im new to the forums - I'm Owen, I'm an atheist and, well I dont know all that much about islam if im honest, although I am fully aware of the areas I need to go to brush up :)

I have been posting a lot on Christain forums, and I want to start here too - Seeing as Xianity and Islam are the two major religions - why not eh?

My questions are these:

1. Say i began to believe in a God. Why should I chose Islam over Christianity?

2. Are the two Gods the same or not (never fully got that)

Thanks,
Owen.
Hi Owen, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your questions. As you are interested in the two religions, for each topic I have given the Islamic view, and my understanding of the Christian view. As you have been on Christian forums, I'm sure you know more about the Christian view than me, so please forgive me if I've got any of it wrong, and do double check on Christian forums to make sure.

Concept of God

Christianity
Christians say (as I understand it, which could be wrong) that they believe in one God, but one God who is manifested in three persons, God the father, god the son, and god the holy spirit, but they are all in one godhead.

Islam
One God,
That's it.
No sons, daughters or relatives of any kind.
He is indivisible. No division, no multiplication.
No associates whatsoever in His divinity.
He is free of all need and dependence. He is not born nor does He beget, and there is nothing like Him.
He is Immortal.

Forgiveness of sins

Christianity
God the father loved the world so had to send his only son to the world so that the son (god the son, who was both human and divine) could eventually be killed and die, in order to forgive mankind's sins i.e. the blood of His son would atone for the sins of mankind if they accepted him as their saviour. That sacrifice from God, and our acceptance of that, is needed for sins to be forgiven.

Islam
If you commit a sin, you repent sincerely, and ask God directly for forgiveness. He is Forgiving, Merciful.

Responsibility for sins

Christianity
One man (who was also divine) had to die for, and bear the burden of, the sins of the whole world.

Islam
Each person is responsible for their own actions. No one can carry the burdens of another's sins. We believe that God is Just, and that it would be unjust for Him to let that happen to one person because of everybody else's sins, and that it would be incomprehensible for him to have to let part of Himself die.

Can God die?

Christianity
Part of God is God the son, who once died for three days. With regards to the crucifixion, as the father, son and holy spirit are all God, that means God had to allow humans to kill part of Him (that part being god the son, who was both human and divine). That is my understanding.

Islam
God cannot die. Ever. He is Immortal, Eternal.

Holy Books

Christianity
Christians themselves admit that the current day Bible has many human authors some of whom never met Jesus (peace be upon him), and some of it written many years after Jesus (peace be upon him). There may be portions of the original word of God remaining. Christians also admit the Bible contains unexplainable contradictions. There are many versions of the Bible.

Islam
We believe in the existence of books that God revealed. We believe that God revealed the Torah, The Psalms of David, The Injeel (given to Jesus peace be upon him), but that over time, humans have changed these books and intermingled their own words with Gods words.
The Qur'an is the final book of God, to all mankind. It is 100% the word of God. Not a letter has changed since the time of revelation. There are no versions. There are no contradictions. It is scientifically sound.

Prophets

Christianity
Other religions rejected certain prophets, (Christianity rejected Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him) and believed others (Jesus, peace be upon him) were divine.

Islam
We believe in all the Prophets (peace be upon them all) from A-Z . We do not reject any of them. Neither do we exaggerate the status of any of them to divine. We believe in them as they were: the noblest of human beings chosen by God to guide mankind. Islam is the only religion that accepts all of them, and does not discriminate against any of them. Jesus (peace be upon him) occupies an esteemed position in Islam as being one of the mightiest Messengers of God.
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the final messenger of God to all mankind till the end of time, and what he brought is unchanged and untampered with.

In summary, I leave you with the following food for thought:

Do you want a religion where there is one God composed of God being in three persons (who are all God), one of the persons (god the son) had to live on earth and then had to be killed by humans in order to bear the sins of mankind and in order for God to forgive our sins; and a holy book that now has many authors and contains contradictions,

OR a religion where God is One, has no children or relatives, and is indivisible. He is Eternal and can never die. He forgives our sins if we ask sincerely. The holy book is 100% the word of God and is unchanged with no contradictions. There is no discrimination against any of the Prophets that God sent.

Do your research on both religions. Don't go with just what I have said on Christianity -check with Christians, in case I got it wrong. See what makes more logical sense to you. What is easier to digest? Would God give us complicated, incomprehensible concepts to grasp, or clear, simple, logical ones? What resonates with your heart?

I pray to Guide to guide you and us all. Ameen.

Peace.

P.S. Let us know if you have any other questions. They are most welcome, and we'll do our best to answer them for you.

glo
01-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Hi Owen, welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Being a Christian I cannot really help you with your first question. :D

As for the second question, I think it depends on what you mean by 'God' - the deity itself, or the concept people attach to it.

Personally, I have no doubt that both Christians and Muslims worship the same deity - the God of Abraham.

But when it comes to how we understand God, that's where we get differences - and some differences are so great, that people have a sense of 'that's not the same God I worship!'.
The biggest difference is the concept of the trinity. Although Christians still assert that there is only ONE God, and that hence Christianity is monotheistic, Muslims are unable to accept that.
As far as Islam is concerned Christians worship three Gods and thereby commit shirk (associating other partners with God, and/or worshipping anybody other than God himself) - the greatest sin of all.

So I suppose the answer to your second question is 'Depends who you ask' ...

Does that make it any clearer??

owenlikesknowin
01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Thank you for your responses! I have asked some people at Christian forums what they think.

glo (and other Christains who view this post) - this is the link to Christian forums where I posted the question the other way round - feel free to comment here or there :) Thank you for your response anyway!

Insane insaan - THANK you for taking the time to write sure a detailed comment - it is much appreciated and I can understand your pov.

I'm going to wait tioll I get a responce from CF before I comment you further :)

once again many thanks,
Owen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!