/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Would you survive without technology?

Life_Is_Short
01-24-2010, 04:42 AM
:sl:

It seems like tecnology has dominated our lives. Some of us have become so dependent on washing machines, microwaves, t.v, games, computer etc that we cannot imagine a world without them.

Do you think you can survive without technology? If so, how would you go about your daily lives?

I got inspired by the documentary Earth 2100.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
_PakistaN_
01-24-2010, 05:37 AM
The billions of people before did it for millions of years. Technology has been around for only 200 years... u do the ratio lol..

Ummm... u mean is it possible for us to let go of all this technology?

yeah i guess. I would love that. Right now the world is too busy and I just want everybody to just chill out. Relax. I want there to be a big change in the world. I guess that can be a good change?

Well anyways, I want that lolzzzzzz.

deepfreeze66
01-24-2010, 05:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by _PakistaN_
The billions of people before did it for millions of years. Technology has been around for only 200 years... u do the ratio lol..

yeah i guess. I would love that. Right now the world is too busy and I just want everybody to just chill out. Relax. I want there to be a big change in the world. I guess that can be a good change?

I get exactly what you mean, my pakistani brother. EXACTLY. You phrase it well, and it's hard to phrase; it's more of an observant thing really.

I know what you mean friend, especially in 2010, things are moving SOOOOOO fast now, we should just chill out! Just like the username of the young lady above says, life is short!! We are either caught in the system with no way out or slaves to the system with a desire for something only temporal.

I want change too. A man can dream, right?

CosmicPathos
01-24-2010, 06:00 AM
I think technology is not inherently bad. It has great benefits, especially in medical and health sciences research. 20 years ago, it would take a Masters student 2 years to sequence a novel gene. It would be a topic of their dissertation.

Today, genome sequencing is finished within days, sometimes within a day! Technology can be good. My friend is finishing up his project where he is working on creating a chip for detecting single nucleotide mutations in DNA strands.... what I am trying to say is that regulated growth of technology is beneficial for mankind.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Clover
01-24-2010, 02:39 PM
lol yea. It would be rather fun. I would have to adapt to my neighbor's way of life (Amish) but it isn't a huge change unless you make it. I don't need a car, electricity, or any of that, you just want it. People have survived without all of that, and a lot more, and had families and some enjoyed their lives. I am pretty sure I would since I'd be growing food like I always have, just with different tools. Also, I have mules, so I am set for plows/logging.

ardianto
01-24-2010, 02:42 PM
As modern people, actually we have technology that stored in our brains. We can build something for our life. Yes, we would survive.

And I think I find a better movie for an example of 'how can we survive without technology'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_Away

Clover
01-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Also, I think no electricity/technology might benefit me more then a lot cause they would freak out when their is no food at the super-center anymore, and I would have a food source, of course, so would all of my neighbors lol. We would be in a bad situation. The majority of food is grown in places, then their are huge cities, and without vehicles/planes/trains/ships to transport stuff, food would have to be grown much closer. Cities would break up into rural communities I think.

Asiyah3
01-24-2010, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _PakistaN_

me too :D****

Blackpool
01-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Without technology there would be no world cup on our screens in June...! WHERE ARE THOSE PILLS??!!!! :O

ardianto
01-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Can we survive without technology if we live among modern people who use technologies ?.

You can ask a guy who lives several miles away from my home. He lives in a wooden house, without electricity, without modern tools, never rode a vehicle even bicycle.

I guess, that's because he is too extreme to implement 'do not imitating the disbelievers'. I remember, one evening when youths in masjid recited Qur'an use sound system, he was angry, then he out from his house and gave a long speech about "Muslim are not allowed to use technology because technology was created by kuffar". :heated:

glo
01-24-2010, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
lol yea. It would be rather fun. I would have to adapt to my neighbor's way of life (Amish) but it isn't a huge change unless you make it. I don't need a car, electricity, or any of that, you just want it. People have survived without all of that, and a lot more, and had families and some enjoyed their lives. I am pretty sure I would since I'd be growing food like I always have, just with different tools. Also, I have mules, so I am set for plows/logging.
Yes, the Amish would be great people to have around!
They have maintained the skill to live without (most) modern technology.
The rest of us would have to relearn those skills.

However, the problem is that modern technology enables us to support huge numbers of people by providing food, water, health care, warmth etc.
I am sure human beings can live without technology (as somebody else said we did so for thousands of years) - but I am not sure we could support the same number of people!

The Ruler
01-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Without the technology we have today, life span of a normal human will decrease dramatically (in some exceptional cases, it might increase instead... but overlooking that). So no, I wouldn't survive. Even if I did, it wouldn't be long before my demise.

But then again, I suppose by technology, you meant the net? In that case, I'd survive, but lead a very difficult life. Going through hundreds of journals to find what I'm looking would cause starvation. And starvation will cause death by malnutrition.

deepfreeze66
01-24-2010, 04:59 PM
In a way, I miss it when the net was non existent or not that well known. Information as much more clearer, pirating was non existent, except for the occasional guy who could extract info from an industrial disc onto a blank disc/floppy with DOS and a couple of hours of his time... ahhhhhhhh!

Nowadays, I fear that the art of encyclopedias, and you know, physically looking something up may be gone soon.

So.... would I do without technology? YES. I know many people on this forum know that the division between man and machine is being erased at an EXTREMELY fast rate - naked body scanners and computers are just two examples we have talked about. We can't forget our humanity you know.

glo
01-24-2010, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
But then again, I suppose by technology, you meant the net? In that case, I'd survive, but lead a very difficult life. Going through hundreds of journals to find what I'm looking would cause starvation. And starvation will cause death by malnutrition.
:D

To be honest, I like to deny myself the internet once in a while.
I have done in the last couple of years during Advent, Lent and Ramadan - I find it's good for my soul and gives me time to focus on things other than what's in cyberland ...

deepfreeze66
01-24-2010, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

I have done in the last couple of years during Advent, Lent and Ramadan - I find it's good for my soul and gives me time to focus on things other than what's in cyberland ...
a christian celebrating ramadan????? that is unheard of!!

The Ruler
01-24-2010, 05:22 PM

I tried the same during exam period. It didn't quite work out since most of the revision content was found online.

Clover
01-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Yes, the Amish would be great people to have around!
They have maintained the skill to live without (most) modern technology.
The rest of us would have to relearn those skills.

However, the problem is that modern technology enables us to support huge numbers of people by providing food, water, health care, warmth etc.
I am sure human beings can live without technology (as somebody else said we did so for thousands of years) - but I am not sure we could support the same number of people!
Well, they are ok. A lot of them are rather, not cocky, but very proud of not having electricity, then they cause wrecks in their buggies and I get really annoyed. I like that they stay with their beliefs, but then their beliefs get people killed cause they have no idea how to push horses (ride in a buggie/sleigh) and end up making wrecks, I don't like that individual. A lot of them are good people, honest, and very strict on moral codes here at least.

Well, surprising how much a man is willing to do to stay alive and keep his family alive. I could do it, I have had to work like they have before, just be a lot rougher then I usually do.

No, we couldn't. People would die out, I mean, we wouldn't just die suddenly, but I am sure our population would shrink, cause our whole economic and military system would be changed. Of course, this wouldn't happen suddenly.

Alpha Dude
01-24-2010, 05:23 PM
The only reason we are so technologically advanced today is due to oil. When that is gone, the world as we know it will most probably end. Oil is used in practically everything.

I don't think there is any replacement for oil. We will, sooner or later, go back to a simpler way of life. It is inevitable.

glo
01-24-2010, 05:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deepfreeze66
Clearly it is not! :D

I don't 'celebrate Ramadan' in quite the same way as my Muslim friends do, although I have fasted in the past.
I pray particularly for peace and co-working between our faiths, and I generally try to draw closer to God and spend more time in prayer - hence the laying off the computer!!

The Ruler
01-24-2010, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I don't think there is any replacement for oil.
I'd like to see that statement being refuted in a few years.

Cabdullahi
01-24-2010, 05:26 PM
My hometown near the Ethiopian border has only generators and solar systems

glo
01-24-2010, 05:26 PM
I tried the same during exam period. It didn't quite work out since most of the revision content was found online.
I can see that THAT's a problem! :)
However, you can always restrict yourself to the necessary use of the computer only.
I have to use the computer at work too - but I can resist going on internet forums and use the computer when I am at home.

Alpha Dude
01-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I'd like to see that statement being refuted in a few years.
Same. I think it's wishful thinking though.

It takes about 7 to 10 calories of oil energy to produce 1 calory of food. Prior to the coal/oil revolution, world population was consistenly at around 1 billion or less. Once oil is gone, there won't even be enough food to go around. Many people will die.

As far as I know, nothing in existence at this current time offers a viable alternative to oil.

The Ruler
01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Same. I think it's wishful thinking though.

It takes about 7 to 10 calories of oil energy to produce 1 calory of food. Prior to the coal/oil revolution, world population was consistenly at around 1 billion or less. Once oil is gone, there won't even be enough food to go around. Many people will die.

As far as I know, nothing in existence at this current time offers a viable alternative to oil.
I do like to think that the human creativity is not yet at its optimum. Or perhaps that's just a very optimistic view.

Beardo
01-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Personally, I am proud to say that I spent 10 days without Internet access in Bangladesh.

But otherwise, I can't live without my Internet/laptop. Impossible. Not happening.

Alpha Dude
01-24-2010, 05:52 PM
I do like to think that the human creativity is not yet at its optimum. Or perhaps that's just a very optimistic view.
I'd say the latter.

Have you ever heard of peak-oil?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum brothers and sisters :)
Well the truth for some is, we are soo used to this Technology, its a struggle to let go Indeed..If its for our bad InshaAllaah we can struggle for the sake of ALlaah and let go..
However, this was also destined to happen, For Technology to be created, nobody can change that. Its part of the test in our lives.

Sure people in the past could live without it because they didnt have it..and we didnt have it today, we also could have lived without it, but then if we see there must have been a reason for its creation..
And it surrely proves theres a creator for it, Like Allah is our creator, we are the proof, Hope you know what im trying to get at :|..

If its such a bigg problem, we should struggle to keep away from it and try live without it for some time, and then just try to spend less time on it rather than 24/7 in some cases Insha`Allaah.. we should use it for Knowledge and for beneficial purpouses, because its like a blessing if you use it and think of it in a good way :D..
Sorry if i have said anything bad or wrong :(
Wa alaaykum Salaam. :)

Asiyah3
01-24-2010, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deepfreeze66
I don't think she's doing it for the sake of Ramadan :hmm:

Cabdullahi
01-24-2010, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
I don't think she's doing it for the sake of Ramadan :hmm:
She's doing it because she knows what difficulties the poor go through and her fasting is a mark of respect.

Life_Is_Short
01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
The only reason we are so technologically advanced today is due to oil. When that is gone, the world as we know it will most probably end. Oil is used in practically everything.

I don't think there is any replacement for oil. We will, sooner or later, go back to a simpler way of life. It is inevitable.
Yeah, that's true and this is what Earth 2100 (partly) highlighted. However together with compromise and search for an alternative energy source we can.

I support simple way of life since i came from a world that did not have microwaves, computers, etc. This is the reason why i would be able to survive in a non-technological world.

Been there, done it. :omg:

The Ruler
01-24-2010, 07:37 PM
I'd say the latter.
Perhaps. It's too early to say.

Have you ever heard of peak-oil?
No, but I dropped wiki a line.

Alpha Dude
01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Forget wiki, read this in its entirety if you want an unadulterated version (3 long pages).

It is not as wacky as its opening paragraph makes it out to be.

The Ruler
01-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Forget wiki, read this in its entirety if you want an unadulterated version (3 long pages).

It is not as wacky as its opening paragraph makes it out to be.
That only strengthens 'gold digger' (?) situation.

YA. But seriously, I'm only through the first page, and I shall continue reading...

... Tomorrow.

Interesting content nonetheless.

Alpha Dude
01-24-2010, 08:07 PM
What do you mean?

Cabdullahi
01-24-2010, 08:07 PM

YA. But seriously, I'm only through the first page, and I shall continue reading...

... Tomorrow.

Interesting content nonetheless.

^ for you its silver digger or a ditch digger...you cannot compete with the other gold diggers forget about it

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-24-2010, 08:11 PM
^LOOL... . .
sorry jus laughing at the comment. :|

The Ruler
01-24-2010, 08:17 PM
What do you mean?
Actually, I'm not quite sure if I understand the term 'gold digger' fully myself.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
^ for you its silver digger or a ditch digger...you cannot compete with the other gold diggers forget about it

Lack of employment in this day and age might just make a ditch digger richer than any other.

waqas maqsood
01-25-2010, 05:40 AM
Without technology, I wouldn't be surfing this web...

Depends how we utilize technology... but comes with its consequences...

And for you guys who's worrying that this technology is limited because we are burning so much oil.. Don't worry, we'll then be burning something else... Worst comes to worst, we will attach our cycles to our laptops, peddling to get energy to write messages on here..lol

Clover
01-26-2010, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by waqas maqsood
Without technology, I wouldn't be surfing this web...

Depends how we utilize technology... but comes with its consequences...

And for you guys who's worrying that this technology is limited because we are burning so much oil.. Don't worry, we'll then be burning something else... Worst comes to worst, we will attach our cycles to our laptops, peddling to get energy to write messages on here..lol
Solves a lot of obesity problems. I have actually thought of starting something like that, you can go a LONG time on a bike, I went 30 mins on a bike machine on level 12/20 and was barely even burning. The average human could probably go 1-3 hours non-stop.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.