/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is it allowed?

muslimsister1
01-24-2010, 08:53 PM
:sl:

Hope you all in gud health, i need to know if a woman can cut her hair as short as she wants as long as her head is covered, i dnt have really long hair but iv alwys liked short hair which are styled, i wear a hijab all day except in bed. Only my husband and occasionaly my mother inlaw sees my hair n id like to get it cut short. I need to know whether this allowed or not as i have also heard that when a woman passes away her hair is parted and the chest is covered with the hair, is this true? please provide hadiths to support, Jazakallah.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
01-24-2010, 08:57 PM
As long as it doesn't resemble the haircut of a man, it should be fine. Also, the husband must not be displeased with you cutting your hair.

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 320)

Insaanah
01-24-2010, 09:18 PM
:sl:
^ which hadeeth book is this from? In Saheeh Muslim kitaab al hayd starts at hadeeth no 577, and in Saheeh Bukhari, hadeeth 320 is a completely different hadeeth.

Also, see the following;

http://www.islamicboard.com/family-s...ml#post1255609

I am aware that some people do say that it is allowed, but have never seen the original arabic text of any hadeeth where rasoolullah sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam allowed his wives to cut their hair.

The Ruler
01-24-2010, 09:30 PM
^I tend to consult Islamqa regarding these matters as it is what's widely accepted on LI. Or so it seems. Here's the link to where I found the hadith:

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13744

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
01-24-2010, 09:33 PM
^ jazaakillah khair for that, sis.

I think what they quote as 320, is what is 626 in the link above. Everywhere on the net people quote that hadeeth (320) to say that hair cutting is allowed, but I can't find it anywhere in Saheeh Muslim or any other hadeeth book. It's possible that what they have quoted is a short part of the full hadeeth I gave in the link (626). Allahu a'lam. IF that is the case, then you need to read the Arabic text of the full hadeeth to know that that hadeeth has nothing to do with the cutting of the hair.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.