/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Istikhara and dreams?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
But one difficult part of istikharah is to interpret, say, the dream u see as a result....

Sometimes there's NO dream,,, then one should hope ALLAH would do what is best for him/her...
There is no dream with istikhara, that's a common misconception. You're basically asking Allaah to bless the choice you make and if it's good to facilitate it for you and if it's not good to protect you from it and guide your way to that which is better.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sur
01-24-2010, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad
There is no dream with istikhara, that's a common misconception. You're basically asking Allaah to bless the choice you make and if it's good to facilitate it for you and if it's not good to protect you from it and guide your way to that which is better.
Though hadees doesn't say there would be a dream NOR doeas it say there would NOT be a dream...

But except for few times, whenever I did istikhara, I saw a dream.....

So, be it a misconception, it's proving a truth for me at least....

============
one example, I had to go for an interview.... I did istikhara, I saw that I was solving a math's equation & the answer i was getting was NOT what I expected to be.....

Next day I messed up interview...

=====================

Another Example,

I really wanted to join something, I did istikhara & I saw that management there was real bad & equipment was broken.... & I decided to Join similar thing at another location....

When i actually went there to join, I took one bus & then I kept waiting for the other connecting bus & it didn't show up.... & I had to return... Then I joined another similar thing at another location....

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Though hadees doesn't say there would be a dream NOR doeas it say there would NOT be a dream...

But except for few times, whenever I did istikhara, I saw a dream.....

So, be it a misconception, it's proving a truth for me at least....
Bro, just because you apparently had a dream you can't really tell other people that they'll have a dream and then that they'd have to interpret it. We don't base our religion on dreams nor can we associate 'dreams' with istikhara just because of a coincidence you had when you did istikhara. There's no need to associate dreams with istikhara when the Messenger (saw) did not do so.

sur
01-24-2010, 11:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad
.....We don't base our religion on dreams nor can we associate 'dreams' with istikhara just because of a coincidence you had......
Lets see how long can u tolerate sayings of Prophet......

You posted a poem on this forum: I quote:-

She was asleep. I kissed her. She awoke.
She shouted, “Help! Establish the law against this thief!”

& then insisted that the poem was not against islam.... Now u r telling me that your religion has nothing to do with dreams, well, my religion does have something to do with dreams.... In my religion guidence do come thru dreams... & in my religion extramarital kisses are NOT allowed...

Bukhari:9:87:119:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "Nothing is left of the prophetism except Al-Mubashshirat." They asked, "What are Al-Mubashshirat?" He replied, "The true good dreams (that conveys glad tidings)."

Bukhari:9:87:116:
The Prophet said, "The dreams of a faithful believer is a part of the forty-six parts of prophetism:'

Bukhari:9:87:144:
When day of judgement approaches, dream of believer will hardly fail to come true....

Abu Dawood: 36:4999:
When ALLAH's Apostle finished, the dawn prayer, he would ask: "Did any of you have a dreqam last night?" And he said: "All that is left of prophecy after me is a good vision."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Lets see how long can u tolerate sayings of Prophet......

You posted a poem on this forum: I quote:-

She was asleep. I kissed her. She awoke.
She shouted, “Help! Establish the law against this thief!”

& then insisted that the poem was not against islam.... Now u r telling me that your religion has nothing to do with dreams, well, my religion does have something to do with dreams.... In my religion guidence do come thru dreams... & in my religion extramarital kisses are NOT allowed...

Bukhari:9:87:119:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "Nothing is left of the prophetism except Al-Mubashshirat." They asked, "What are Al-Mubashshirat?" He replied, "The true good dreams (that conveys glad tidings)."

Bukhari:9:87:116:
The Prophet said, "The dreams of a faithful believer is a part of the forty-six parts of prophetism:'
I don't want to derail this thread, but I'll humor you for a while :hmm: The two ahadeeth don't mention istikharah and that's what we were talking about specifically.

Also, that poem was written by one of the greatest Maliki scholars and is widely accepted amongst the 'Ulema. I suggest you quote the rest of it too bro.

Also my religion is Islaam bro, as is yours - Alhamdullilah. I would suggest you not turn small differences of opinion into something with which you decide to declare people out of Islaam. Let's be civil here please.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-25-2010, 01:51 AM
:sl:
^can a dream be a sign of a positive/negative istikhara. not necessarily the sign, but none-the-less a type of indication of which way to go.

for example, i in the past have made istikhara regarding some issues...i'll have a dream that night (not necessarily even related to the issue) and i'd wake up with a positive feeling inclining me towards that thing or a negative one incliing me away from it. i don't wait for a dream, expect it, or associate it with istikhara anything, but can a dream still be used as an indication of which pat to take?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-25-2010, 02:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
:sl:
^can a dream be a sign of a positive/negative istikhara. not necessarily the sign, but none-the-less a type of indication of which way to go.

for example, i in the past have made istikhara regarding some issues...i'll have a dream that night (not necessarily even related to the issue) and i'd wake up with a positive feeling inclining me towards that thing or a negative one incliing me away from it. i don't wait for a dream, expect it, or associate it with istikhara anything, but can a dream still be used as an indication of which pat to take?
:w:

Allaah knows best.
Ibn al-Haaj al-Maaliki said:

Some of them pray istikhaarah as prescribed in sharee’ah and then wait until they see a dream from which they will decide whether they should go ahead and do whatever they prayed istikhaarah about or not, or until someone else sees a dream for them. This does not count for anything, because the infallible one (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us to pray istikhaarah and consult others, not to rely on what is seen in dreams. End quote

Al-Madkhal, 4/37

Thirdly:

If we assume that the interpretation of the dream suggests something good, good dreams are no more than hints, but they cannot be relied on. Rather you should try to find out and ask about the one who has proposed marriage, make sure whether he is religiously committed and of good character, and other things that you should find out about him. If you are certain of these matters then the good dream is no more than a message to be of good cheer when proceeding.

We ask Allaah to make goodness easy for you, and to bless you.

And Allaah knows best.
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/72255

Snowflake
01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
:sl: In my experience (and I do have lots when it comes to istikhara) the 'sign' can be anything from a dream, a feeling and in the case of Allah not willing a particular thing for you, even an event which turns you away from what you intended. It's up to Allah subhana wa ta 'ala how He guides those who call to Him for help. He is Al-Mujib and responds to a believers prayer how He wills.

I have on many occassions, after istikhara, dreamt of an outcome of a situation which then happened similar/exactly how I had seen in my dream. Allah is As-Samad, The Satisfier of all needs. He does what he wills, however He wills.

:wa:

waqas maqsood
02-23-2010, 04:51 AM
Istikharaah will be tough for me... I never dream!

Myself
05-11-2010, 10:34 AM
just wanted to bring up a question in this thread since it relates to this topic: say you want to get married and pray istikhara. you do it, your father does it and your mother does it too. then, the person who is going to be married 'feels' that the person is the right one for him/her. they just for some odd reason know that this will be the perfect one for them. however, your mother or father has a dream, same dream but sees something negative. which would you take into consideration? the feeling that the spouse-to-be has in his/her heart, or the dream that has been shown three times to one person who has also done istikhara for the same reason?

imam bukhari
05-11-2010, 10:39 AM
[B]Forged Ways Of Doing Salaatul Istikhaarah

By Sh. Mashhur Hasan Aal-Salmaan[/B]

The following paragraphs present some of these forged ways of doing Salaatul Istikhaarah:

[1] Believing in setting a condition prior to doing Salaatul Istikhaarah; that is if the matter one wishes to do is good one would see a green or a white colour in one’s dreams. And if the matter is evil one would see a red or a black colour.

[2] Using the rosary by the one who needs Allaah’s (swt) guidance or others make it for him. One holds the rosary and then presents one’s need secretly then gathers some of its beads in one’s hand and counts them. If the number of the beads is an odd one, one would not fulfill what he had intended to do. If the number is an even one, one would consider this as a good sign and would do what he had born in his intention.

Indeed, what is the difference between this way and that which the people of Jaahiliyyah used to practice, i.e. the Tiyarah, which is totally prohibited in our Shar‘.

[3] The cup way. A cup of coffee is made by a man or a woman for the one who needs the Istikhaarah. The later drinks the cup of coffee offered to him, then tips it over and after a while gives it to the former to “read” it for him. The former looks inside the cup after the leftover has made different shapes and lines -just like any liquid left over does! Then the “reader” starts making up different stories for the former and fills his head with legends!!

[4] Using necromancy [fortunetelling].
It is done by placing a cup full of water on a special person’s hand which has special lines. This process is done on a certain day of the week. Then the fortune-teller starts humming with unrecognized words calling some of the Jinns in order to bring the thief [as is usually done or tell him about the robery].

[5] Using the sand.
It is done by drawing disconnected lines on the sand, then they are counted in a special mathematical way known to those who practice this way. At the end, the fortune-teller gets to know the person’s sign [of the zodiac] and picks out all the information about this sign from a certain book he brought for such a purpose. Then he tells the person about the latter’s past and future events -as he claims. Those people with similar signs are told the same thing.

[6] Using the palm.
In this way the fortune-teller claims to have the ability of reading one’s palm through diagnosing and analysing its lines and starts telling others about their future.

[7] Using the Mushaf.
One opens the Mushaf randomly, if one’s eyes fell on an Ayah that talks about mercy, he would do the thing he wishes, otherwise he won’t.

[8] Some people go to Shaikhs
and righteous people to do the Istikhaarah on their behalf which is a mistake!!

No doubt that those of sound sense could easily realize that all these ways are part of the forbidden fortune telling believing in which is one of the grievous sins as the ‘Ulamah strongly stated.(1)

The prophet (saw) forbade it saying: ‘Whoever attends a fortune teller or a soothsayer and believes whatever he says [the former] has indeed disbelieved in that which was revealed on Muhammad (saw)’.(2)

He (saw) also said: ‘Whoever attends a fortune teller, asks him about any thing and believes him, his Salaat would not be accepted for forty days.’(3)

I wonder how could people seek such nonsense and falsehood and get away from the prophet’s (saw) guidance?!

It is worth-mentioning here that some people violate the manner in which Salaat is done such as: adding the du‘aa false statements or believing in the necessity of setting conditions before doing the Salaat: such as doing it in matter one is confused about, reciting the du‘aa while doing Sujud etc.

Another mistake people make after doing Salaatul Istikharah is saying: ‘We made Istikhaarah and got no benefit’ or other statements that indicate that one is not fully submitted to Allaah’s (swt) will. In his “Al-Fawaa’id” (p. 174), Ibn Al-Qayyim said:

The warm hearted father always does that which is best for his son; he would even cut one of his organs if necessary. And he would deprive him sometimes from money or desires if this is for his own good.

Allaah (swt) the All-wize and Most merciful who always showers His creatures with mercy when afflicting them with misfortune for their own good. Only those with deep faith in Allaah (swt) would understand and believe in this, unlike those who lack knowledge in Allaah’s perfect names and attributes and resorted instead to their deficient minds, such would gain nothing at all.

Those who believe deeply in Allaah (swt) and His perfect knowledge would feel content in this world and in the hereafter when they would live in Paradise. This what truly means to believe in Allaah (swt), and accept Islaam as one’s religion and Muhammad as our messenger
’.

FOOTNOTES:

(1) See: “Al-Kabaa’ir”, Grievous Sin (no. 41) (p. 141).

(2) Narrated by: Ahmad in “Al-Musnad” (vol. 2 / pp. 408, 429, 476), Abu Daawud in “As-Sunnan” (vol. 4 / p. 15) (no. 3904), Ad-Daarimi in “As-Sunnan” (vol. 1 / p. 259), At-Tirmithi in “Al-Jaami‘” (vol. 1 / pp. 242-3) (no. 135), Ibn Maajah in “As-Sunnan” (vol. 1 / p. 209) (no. 639), Ibnil Jaarud in “Al-Muntaqaa” (p. 58), Al-Haakim in “Al- Mustadrak” (vol. 1 / p. 8) and Al-Baihaqi in “As-Sunnan Al-Kubraa” (vol. 8 / p. 135). Al-Haakim considered the Hadith as authentic in his “Al-Mustadrak” with which Ath-Thahabi agreed in his “At-Takhlis” and “Al-Kabaa’ir” (p. 141) and so did Al- ‘Iraaqi in his “’Amaali” -as reported in “Faydul Qadir” (vol. 6 / p. 23).

(3) Narrated by: Muslim in his “Sahih” (vol. 4 / p. 1751) (no. 2230).

See it here: http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.co...n-aal-salmaan/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.