/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The power behind the veil

Uthman
01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
By Samra Mursaleen

I look on efforts to ban the face veil with dismay. For me, it's an empowering tool.

As a young British Muslim who wears the head covering and who on occasions chooses to wear the face veil (niqab), I have watched with increasing concern as UKIP calls for a total ban in the UK and the French government proposes a ban on state premises and on public transport.

My problem is not so much with the idea that the face veil is deemed impractical or threatens security in certain places, rather that, as argued by UKIP and President Sarkozy, it is an affront to women.

Nigel Farage, UKIP's ex-leader, stated that the veil is "something that is used to oppress women", while Sarkozy, whose committee on full veiling is due to report next week, has purported that this kind of covering by women breached the French Republic's fundamental principles of "sexual equality and secularism."

To address the question of sexual equality: from my point of view as a Muslim woman, it is the veil which affords that equality. The head veil with or without the face veil (which incidentally is not a religious requirement) is in fact a liberating and an empowering force rather than an oppressive one. In my experience, Muslim women who decide to wear a veil feel that, when they have contact with men, they are in full command of their bodies. With their outer beauty hidden from view what is exposed instead is their mind and inner qualities and so in any interaction with men they are valued not just for how they look. This attire also sends out a message that a woman is chaste and modest and and that she does not want her sexuality to enter into the interaction in the slightest degree.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect to this is that many of the niqab-wearing women in France are converts to Islam. If Islam really was all about subjugating women, what would be the attraction for them in this religion at all?

If the likes of UKIP are genuinely concerned about women's rights and equality then perhaps they should begin by asking the veiled Muslim women her opinion for a change instead of doing exactly what they supposedly stand against: forcing her to dress in a certain way or rather in this case, forcing her to undress.

Source

Samra Mursaleen is a law lecturer and member of the advisory board of Minhaj-ul-Quran International UK.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
01-25-2010, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
The head veil with or without the face veil (which incidentally is not a religious requirement) is in fact a liberating and an empowering force rather than an oppressive one.
Just to clarify; there is a difference of opinion amongst orthodox Islamic scholars as to whether covering the face is obligatory or just recommended. All agree that it is permissible.

glo
01-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Thank you for sharing, Uthman.

I have now heard several Muslim voices say that it is understandable and acceptable that the burka may be banned in certain places for security reasons (i.e. banks or airports), but that it is not reasonable to ban the wearing of the burka per se.

Do you think that there are places/situations where you might find it reasonable to forbid the wearing of the burka?

Uthman
01-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi glo,
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I have now heard several Muslim voices say that it is understandable and acceptable that the burka may be banned in certain places for security reasons (i.e. banks or airports), but that it is not reasonable to ban the wearing of the burka per se.
There is actually a difference between the Niqab and the Burqa. The Burqa covers everything including the eyes whereas the Niqab does not cover the eyes.

Do you think that there are places/situations where you might find it reasonable to forbid the wearing of the burka?
I am always very wary of giving my personal opinion on what is allowed or forbidden in Islam. But I have heard many Muslim women saying that they wouldn't have a problem with removing their veils for security and/or identification purposes and that seems reasonable to me. I don't see why there would be a problem with that Islamically so long as appropriate accomodations are made such as the checks being made by a woman rather than a man. Of course, there are those who would then complain about Muslims getting special treatment...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
01-25-2010, 07:33 PM

A sikh can hide quite an explosive device in his turban. Will a Sikh ever agree to not wear a turban at airports or other places?

Who are these "Muslim voices" you are talking about? I am not too sure if these voices are credible and if they represent the majority of Muslim laity.

Danah
01-25-2010, 07:57 PM

Can I answer this question?
There is always other solutions to "ensure security".

Take this example:
I remember the last time I was in Heathrow airport 3 years ago and we were in the departure gate where they check the identities.
The male officer was doing his work with my Dad and brothers, then he approached me and mom to do the same....we simply told him that we need a female officer to check since we wear niqab. Then she came and everything went cool.

abu salaahudeen
01-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Minhaj ulQuraan??? is this the same organisation that is headed by Tahir ulQadri??

Ummu Sufyaan
01-26-2010, 02:43 AM
i just wish that the voices of the women who choose to wear it actually goes heard!!! im so sick of this one-sided rubbish. is it such crime to want to keep something for yourself? is it such a crime to keep what you look like to yourself? hasn't anyone ever heard of "minding their own business" did anyone take into account the feelings of the women who wear these before accusing their men-folk of oppression? the product of stupid comments are a result of stupid intellects, i shouldnt be so surprised really :hmm:

Uthman
01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
The many faces behind the veil

Asiyah3
01-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Thank you brother Uthmaan, JazakalLahu khairan

I am glad to finally hear some truth written in the media about us!

What that woman said regarding sexual equality+veil was exactly what I wanted to say.

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
i just wish that the voices of the women who choose to wear it actually goes heard!!! im so sick of this one-sided rubbish. is it such crime to want to keep something for yourself? is it such a crime to keep what you look like to yourself? hasn't anyone ever heard of "minding their own business" did anyone take into account the feelings of the women who wear these before accusing their men-folk of oppression? the product of stupid comments are a result of stupid intellects, i shouldnt be so surprised really :hmm:
So true!

It's so stupid hearing people who know NOTHING about the veil telling lies about our lives!

S_87
01-26-2010, 01:38 PM

i disagree with places like banks/airports banning veil.

if people actually looked at it their logic on 'women wearing veil are oppressed by their men' and 'women wearing veil and being a security threat' do not go together.

if a person is looking to rob a bank or cause trouble at an airport, they are going to find a way regardless of the veil being an issue or not.

i use the bank as much as anyone else and have never had problems, put it this way, if i were stupid enough to want to rob a bank and i went ahead and did it wearing a veil, holding up a gun it takes ONE panic button to shut the bank down, one panic button to have me cornered like anyone else! and of course anyone cornered, regardless of a veil or not is in a position where their identity can be found out

and the same goes for airport- theres policemen with big guns walking around/it takes one bullet to shoot down a person and them on the floor- you can easily pull a veil off. in this case it would make sense to ban bulky clothes etc/a piece of cloth over the face is hardly a threat

Asiyah3
01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
i disagree with places like banks/airports banning veil.

if people actually looked at it their logic on 'women wearing veil are oppressed by their men' and 'women wearing veil and being a security threat' do not go together.

if a person is looking to rob a bank or cause trouble at an airport, they are going to find a way regardless of the veil being an issue or not.

i use the bank as much as anyone else and have never had problems, put it this way, if i were stupid enough to want to rob a bank and i went ahead and did it wearing a veil, holding up a gun it takes ONE panic button to shut the bank down, one panic button to have me cornered like anyone else! and of course anyone cornered, regardless of a veil or not is in a position where their identity can be found out

and the same goes for airport- theres policemen with big guns walking around/it takes one bullet to shoot down a person and them on the floor- you can easily pull a veil off. in this case it would make sense to ban bulky clothes etc/a piece of cloth over the face is hardly a threat
Those people are ridiculous! I bet it's not even about equality/security reasons. How pathetic excuses!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.