/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPad!

Shahreaz
01-27-2010, 07:48 PM

From the realm of sci-fi to Steve Jobs' stage: The iPad is official. What is it? What can it do? How does it work? Here's everything you need to know about Apple's newest creation, in one place.

The Hardware

Size and shape: The tablet's multitouch screen measures in at 9.7 inches, as per the rumors, meaning that it's got a significantly smaller footprint than the smallest MacBook, but a much larger screen than the iPhone. That's 9.7 inches diagonal, from screen corner to screen corner. The bezel is a little fat, but this thing is basically a clean slab of display. The screen's aspect ratio is closer to 4:3 than 16:9, meaning that it's not a widescreen like the iPhone or a MacBook, and more of a bi-directional tablet. Or, er, Pad. Here's what it looks like on video:

The guts: It's a half-inch thick—just a hair thicker than the iPhone, for reference—and weighs 1.5 pounds. It's powered by a 1GHz Apple A4 chip, and has 16GB to 64GB of flash storage. From the looks of it, Apple finally got some use out of that PA Semi purchase, and built their own mobile processor. It's also loaded with 802.11 n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, a 30-pin connector, a speaker, a microphone, an accelerometer and a compass.

The battery: Apple's making some INCREDIBLE claims about battery life: ten hours for constant use, with a one-month standby rating.

How you hold it: You can hold it two different ways, and the software will adapt to both. Portrait mode seems like the MAIN mode, while landscape mode—better for movies and perhaps magazine content—is a secondary mode. The Apple decal is oriented for portrait mode, for what it's worth. (A lot?)

Connectivity

Some models have Wi-Fi exclusively, while some have 3G as well. It's with AT&T, and costs either $15 a month for 250MB of data, or $30 for unlimited data. With the plan, you get access to AT&T's Wi-Fi hotspots as well. Best of all, it's a prepaid service—no contract. You can activate it from the iPad any time, and cancel whenever you want.
The iPad itself is unlocked, so you can use it with any micro SIM, apparently.

The Software

The OS: The operating system on the tablet is based on iPhone OS, which is in turn loosely based on OS X. In other words, it's got the same guts as the iPhone, as well as a somewhat similar interface.

The homescreen: It's like a mixture between the iPhone and OS X: it uses the iPhone launcher/apps metaphor, but has an OS X-style shiny dock. For our full walkthrough of the new OS, check here.

The browser: The browser is essential an upscaled version of Safari Mobile, with a familiar, finger-friendly title bar and not much else. It rotates by command of the accelerometer.

Email: Mail again takes its visual cues from the iPhone, but with a lot more decoration: you can preview your mailbox from any message with a pull-down menu, and preview any message from within the mailbox, with a pop-up window.

Input comes by way of an onscreen keyboard, almost exactly like the iPhone's. Typing on it is apparently a "dream," and "almost lifesize," by which he means the size of a full hard keyboard. Steve wasn't typing with his thumbs, but with his fingers, as if it were an actual laptop keyboard. Navigation throughout the rest of the OS is optimized for one hand, though.

Music: The music player is even more hybirdized, styled like a mix between the iPhone's iPod interface and full-fledged desktop iTunes.

Video: YouTube is available by way of an app, iPhone-style, which can play videos in HD. iTunes content plays back in a dedicated app, just like on the iPhone.

Calendar and contacts: The calendar app is desktop-like, until you open organizer mode, where it looks like a literal organizer. It's beautiful, and dare I say a bit Courier-like.

Apps

iPhone apps: This thing runs them! The iPad runs iPhone apps right out of the App Store, with no modification, but they're either relegated to the center of the screen or in "pixel double" mode, which just blows them up crudely. Any apps you've purchased for your iPhone can be synced, for free, to your iPad.

New apps: The iPhone app SDK has already been expanded for tablet development, including a whole new set of UI elements and expanded resolution support. The raw iPhone app compatibility is just a temporary measure, it seems—any developer who wants their app to run on the tablet will develop for the tablet. Some of the early examples of adapted apps, like Brushes, are spectacular. More on the SDK here.

Apple's pushing gaming on this thing right out of the box, demoing everything from FPS N.O.V.A to Need for Speed. It's presumably running these games at HD, so the rendering power in this thing is no joke.

Ebooks: Apple's also opened an ebook store to accompany the iPad, in the mold of iTunes.

It offers books in ePub format, and makes reading on a Kindle seem about as stodgy as, you know, paper.

iWork: Apple' also designed a whole new iWork suite just for the tablet, which implies that this thing is as much for media creation as it is for consumption. There's a new version of Keynote designed just for the iPad, as well as new version of Pages, (word processor), and Numbers, which is the spreadsheet app. Here's what Keynote looks like:

The interfaces are obviously designed strictly for touch input, but from the looks of it can handle every function that the old, mouse-centric version could, plus a few more. And man, they're so much prettier. Each app costs $10, and you can get them all for $30.

Accessories

Right away, Apple's offering two main official accessories: a book-style case, and a keyboard dock. (Ha!) The keyboard dock hooks up with the iPad when it's in portrait mode, so you can type longer documents, charge, or both.

Price and Release Date

The iPad ships worldwide in 60 days, but only in Wi-Fi versions. The 3G version will be another 30 days after that. Here are the prices:

Without 3G:
• $499: 16GB
• $599: 32GB
• $699: 32GB

With 3G:
• $629: 16GB
• $729: 32GB
• $829: 32GB

"We will be shipping iPads in 60 days, worldwide availability of Wi-Fi models." It'll be another 30 days beyond that for 3G models.

From: http://i.gizmodo.com/5458292/apple-i...u-need-to-know

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
wow wow wow!!.....amazing!! Exactly what I was looking for, I like the keyboard feature and the accessory one that looks like a normal one.

Big thanks for sharing.

Beardo
01-27-2010, 08:05 PM
I have th eiPod Touch but now I want this. :X

Shahreaz
01-27-2010, 08:12 PM
I was expecting them to name it as iSlate. But iPad ? It sounds like a feminine product :P

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Danah
01-27-2010, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
wow wow wow!!.....amazing!! Exactly what I was looking for, I like the keyboard feature and the accessory one that looks like a normal one.

Big thanks for sharing.
Now wait wait wait...I just read somewhere that there is no flash player!! are they kidding??:hmm:

Why most of reviews I read about it are negative??

Shahreaz
01-27-2010, 08:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
Now wait wait wait...I just read somewhere that there is no flash player!! are they kidding??:hmm:

Why most of reviews I read about it are negative??
Don't worry about flash. HTML5 will replace flash. about reviews, thats what they did with the iPhone, so np.

Asiyaah
01-27-2010, 08:54 PM
I dunno - for how much it costs I'd rather have a macbook. Glad I'm not supporting this :P

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-27-2010, 11:04 PM
I actually changed my mind - I won't get this, the no multi-tasking is a deal breaker. Check this:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...yline=true&s=i

tw009
01-28-2010, 03:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zaira
I dunno - for how much it costs I'd rather have a macbook. Glad I'm not supporting this :P
same. doesn't really appeal to me, its like an iTouch except much bigger, bulkier nothign new...

Beardo
01-28-2010, 04:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad
I actually changed my mind - I won't get this, the no multi-tasking is a deal breaker. Check this:
Well, that's ONE side to it...

CosmicPathos
01-28-2010, 07:23 AM
i am not impressed ... sorry .... you get better web experience on Nokia N900 (firefox based browser) :p aside from smaller display size which is the only drawback.

hanif_
01-28-2010, 07:57 AM
:sl:

The evaluation on the limited information for the IPad

Description

10-inch capacitive multi-touch display; a focus on ebooks, videos, web-browsing, photos, and music; new multi-touch versions of Apple's iWork productivity apps ($9.99 each for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote)

No multi-tasking when running third-party apps, since Apple reserves the benefits of multitasking for its own apps, such as iTunes.

No camera or video (But why would anyone want to point and shoot with a 240-by-180mm device)

1GHz

Built-in speakers and a microphone

No phone capabilities

The iPad syncs with Apple's iTunes software using the same 30-pin dock connector as does the iPhone and iPod.

Data prices:

$130 for 3G connectivity
Additional AT&T $14.99 for 250MB a month or $29.99 for an unlimited data plan.

http:// www.apple. com/ipad/specs/

The public can expect all the glitches to be worked out in future models.

There will be one available on a buyers site very soon. Give it six months.

Danah
01-28-2010, 09:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad
Oh, thats too much! Adding to the fact that there is no flash player....now there is no multi-tasking, even the iTouch has some multitasking features :hmm:.

I am fascinated by this kind of gadgets but now I totally changed my mind! I am satisfied with the ipod touch I have!!

Cabdullahi
01-28-2010, 09:58 AM
its HUGE!....you carry that around either you'll get mugged or you'll accidently injury someone with that brick...well i shouldnt say brick a brick is small compared to that!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Oh come on.. sooon there will be something even more better than this...
then you will go crazy for it lol and you will say "I have the Apple ipad, but the banana ipad is wayyy better" Lol

see this how the Dunyaa gets you going and wants to make you feel like "stay here, dont leave me dont let go" commonly known as Shaytaan the Waswass..You have a product similar to this its just this 1 maybe has another greater feature and so what? dont make the pointless things look bigg and important..

tango92
01-28-2010, 06:02 PM
i dont get it, it does the same thing as the iphone but its more expensive?

Supreme
01-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I will say only this on the matter: I am going to get one. Gadgets have always seduced me, although Apple ones especially.

hanif_
01-28-2010, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
i dont get it, it does the same thing as the iphone but its more expensive?

You can't talk on the IPad!

tango92
01-28-2010, 10:46 PM
but wait a sec, it does less than an iphone yet because its a new apple every1 has to buy it. strange... and here i thought excessive expenditure was haram

Dagless
01-28-2010, 11:04 PM
I wish they'd used e ink. It's going to strain your eyes if you read a whole book on it. Kindle ftw!

BlackMamba
01-29-2010, 07:30 AM
The safari browser on the iPad won't have flash, which stinks. And it only goes up to 32 GB, I don't think its worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love gadgets like this and would really want one of these. But I just don't think it's really worth it...I mean 32gb for something that huge kinda sucks

hanif_
01-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Ferown:

Ingenious! Ingenious! Ingenious! :statisfie

The comments and suggests to Apple are used in upgraded products.

Danah
01-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I liked this pic.....very expressive indeed!!

format_quote Originally Posted by Ferown
I wish they'd used e ink. It's going to strain your eyes if you read a whole book on it. Kindle ftw!

Froggy
01-30-2010, 08:21 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/news..._jobs_stays_up

Frantic Steve Jobs Stays Up All Night Designing Apple Tablet

January 27, 2010

CUPERTINO, CA—Claiming that he completely forgot about the much-hyped electronic device until the last minute, a frantic Steve Jobs reportedly stayed up all night Tuesday in a desperate effort to design Apple's new tablet computer. "Come on, Steve, just think—think, dammit—you're running out of time," the exhausted CEO said as he glued nine separate iPhones to the back of a plastic cafeteria tray. "Okay, yeah, this will work. This will definitely work. Just need to write 'tablet' on this little strip of masking tape here and I'm golden. Oh, come on, you piece of ****! Just stick already!" Middle-of-the-night sources reported that Jobs then began work on double-spacing his Keynote presentation and increasing the font size to make it appear longer.

:D:hiding:

I found this ridiculous and it pretty much summons up what I feel about the gadget.

Beardo
01-30-2010, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
The safari browser on the iPad won't have flash, which stinks. And it only goes up to 32 GB, I don't think its worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love gadgets like this and would really want one of these. But I just don't think it's really worth it...I mean 32gb for something that huge kinda sucks
Yeah. It's like a humongous iPod, nothing special. I'm happy with my iPod, as it's small. Otherwise, I prefer my laptop.

What I think is going to happen is that they just released this iPad. They'll wait for an x number amount of people to buy it and then they'll come out with an "Updated Version" of it. Money makers.

_PakistaN_
01-31-2010, 03:52 AM
Technology is beginning to scare me now. How fast it's booming. Can't we all just stop for a while and take a deep breath.

A-Believer-25
01-31-2010, 11:48 PM
It reminds me of an ipod touch/iPhone. :p

Life_Is_Short
02-01-2010, 12:06 AM
I have an mp3 player (my mum traded it for a USB) and I'm proud. :playing:

Italianguy
02-01-2010, 12:14 AM
It looks cool?.....Is it just a massive iphone? I read that it doesn't do much.

Beardo
02-01-2010, 12:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
It looks cool?.....Is it just a massive iphone? I read that it doesn't do much.
Same. It's just a large iPod Touch, as I mentioned above. Another moneymaker.

Sawdah
02-01-2010, 12:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ferown

Lol.

I wouldn't get it. There's no flash and you can't even multitask...
and plus, I might accidently break the screen oneday:x

Life_Is_Short
02-01-2010, 12:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by seekerofjannah
Lol.

I wouldn't get it. There's no flash and you can't even multitask...
and plus, I might accidently break the screen oneday:x
Lol, ;D

Plus, how can you possibly carry that around? :hmm:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.