/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tv

muslimsister1
01-27-2010, 08:31 PM
:sl:

Hope your all in gu health, i know dis may be a stupid question but im still gona ask, du guys watch TV? n if so what du watch?, jst baing nosey ;)

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
01-27-2010, 08:36 PM
i dont watch TV.....only if there's a debate on aljazeera arabic then i watch with my mum for a bit and also the odd football matches that are aired....thats all

Asiyah3
01-27-2010, 08:40 PM
No, I don't watch TV . It's time-killing except if you're watching something beneficial such as islamic programmes.

I do watch Iqraa-channel (there are very interesting shows) if I'm near the satellite. Also Just for laughs and other like scientific programmes.

I might randomly watch a telenovela (though I try to stay away from it) however not constantly

glo
01-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't watch TV much at all ... although I do have a weakness for murder mysteries ... :D
(For 8 years we had no TV had all, but we gave in to the children's pleading last summer)

I love listening to radio programmes in the religion/ethics genre, I enjoy reading books and I have recently discovered playing the wii with the rest of the family. Great fun!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
01-27-2010, 08:45 PM
^ no eastenders??!? :eek:

muslimsister1
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
WOW!! from the replies i feel quite bad as i watch tv... not loads but i do watch my soaps n comedy programmes.... imsad

glo
01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
^ no eastenders??!? :eek:
I used to love Eastenders, but I haven't watched for about 8 years. I seem to remember that Grant Mitchell left at the time ...

We gave up TV just before BB started - so I have never watched that either ...

AhmadibnNasroon
01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
ESPN here :D

S<Chowdhury
01-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Yep i watch Tv at specific times just to watch a few shows mostly American sitcoms, you named it Friends you can't help but watch it when it repeats over and over again on E4. Glee is looking good :), Scrubs, Everybody Hates Chris etc. Apart from sitcom Live at the Apollo is hilarious not to mention jonathan ross show, you can't beat Takashi Castle and Ninja Warriors. The list is endless of shows like One Tree Hill, Prison Break, then you got a ton of sports channels Sky Sports, Man Utd Football Tv, ESPN Classics to watch football,cricket once in a while .............now to come to think of it i doo watch quite alot of TV LMAO, but then i watch most of it or Iplayer online, dnt really sit down and watch tv that often unless there some classics like Desmonds, kenan and kel replays, Fresh Prince or Only fools and horse.

S<Chowdhury
01-27-2010, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I used to love Eastenders, but I haven't watched for about 8 years. I seem to remember that Grant Mitchell left at the time ...

We gave up TV just before BB started - so I have never watched that either ...
I just block out BB and avoid channel 4 at all costs, I'm soo glad this is there last BB :statisfie. But apparently its moving to ITV but is there anything good on ITV anway?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Aslaamu`alaaykum...

Hmm... Well i dont watch much Tv..but when i get time lol i watch Cartoons :\..so yeah..
sometimes if i get time i try to watch some Islamic shows on islamic channels..i do admit i do watch movies "Sometimes" when im free ..but thats veryy veryy rare :\...lol i dont like watching aload of movies and that kinda stuff anymoree ALhamdulilah coz its like a disease once you get into it its hard to ger outt of it so yahhh....:D....altho honestly now i find them really boring for some reason but i know a lot of people who cant live without it its kinda sad thoo. they would rather watch some drama or serial or what ever they are, than go pray Salaah..either they pray it laterrrr or something...

So yah i do watch Tv...but mostly cartoons..loool..for entertainment tho and theyre that long so yea, not much time consumation involved i think..

However, i put my self in a habit of watching Lectures, and listening to Q`uraan...Lectures are a beneficial time consumation lol (sorry im trying to use more geeki words)...:D....
: c <--- my moustache :p LOOL.... sorry if i had said anything wrong or bad :(
So yeah hope i didnt bore you on my reply lol

My advise is try slowly adding more beneficial programs rather than watchin something which is about. someone getting married and then getting divorced,,ooh and then getting married again lol well similar to that point anyway..not trying to offend, but thats what i see on most typical shows lool..

Both the Qur'an and the Sunnah enjoin Muslims to be conscious of time. We are reminded that life in this world is nothing but temporary. We never know when death has been appointed for us. We must value time for the satisfaction of Allah the Almighty. For our guidance and success, we must never waste time nor abuse it.

Ibn Abbas narrated that Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) said:

"There are two blessings which many people lose: (They are) health and free time for doing good." (Bukhari 8/421)

Indeed, we displease Allah the Most High when we abuse time. We must remember that time must be spent to fulfill our very purpose in life that is to worship Allah all throughout our lives. Allah makes this very clear in the Qur'an when He says:

I have only created Jinns and Men, that they may serve Me. No Sustenance do I require of them, nor do I require that they should feed Me. For Allah is He Who gives (all) Sustenance, Lord of Power, Steadfast (for ever). Qur'an (51:56-58)

But celebrate the praises of thy Lord, and be of those who prostrate themselves in adoration. And serve thy Lord until there come unto thee the Hour that is certain (i.e., death). Qur'an (15:98-99)

We have to remember that on the Day of Judgment we shall be asked how we spent our lives, wealth and knowledge. In other words, we will be questioned on how we spent everything that Allah has given us as implied in the following Hadith:

Narrated Abdullah Bin Mas`ud Allah's Messenger (PBUH) said:

"A man shall be asked concerning five things on the day of resurrection: concerning his life, how he spent it; concerning his youth, how he grew old; concerning his wealth, whence he acquired it, and in what way he spent it; and what was it that he did with the knowledge that he had."

The Prophet Mohammad (PBUH), used to call on Muslims to take the initiative to do good deeds before any obstacles arise. For instance, he said, "Lose no time to do good deeds before you are caught up by one of seven calamities awaiting you: a starvation which may impair your wisdom; a prosperity which may mislead you; an ailment which may damage your health; an old age which may harm your senses; a sudden death; the Dajjal (Antichrist); or Doomsday, which is indeed the hardest and most bitter." (at-Tirmidhi, al-Baihaqi)

Insha`Allaah
Wa`alaaykum Salaam......

Ps. Time is not Money...because Time is Life! : )..Insha`Allaah let that be a reminder for all Indeed

cat eyes
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
i just watch sky news thats a bit it i am afraid i have become very boring now ;D sometimes the history channel and documentry. my sister has a soap addiction problem..she cant get enough of them soaps! i use to watch the odd action movie but i gave that up :X

Salahudeen
01-27-2010, 11:07 PM
News here also, sky sports news, and flicking through the many news channels, and Islam channel QA. Also football and other sports like F1

Life_Is_Short
01-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Alhamdulilah, gave up that habit long time ago. :)

Salahudeen
01-27-2010, 11:16 PM
has any 1 else noticed that it actually feels strange in your house if the TV is off? like even if your not watching it you still have it on cos it feels normal :S

Cabdullahi
01-27-2010, 11:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
has any 1 else noticed that it actually feels strange in your house if the TV is off? like even if your not watching it you still have it on cos it feels normal :S
sometimes ...........

Salahudeen
01-27-2010, 11:26 PM
^ lol soon brother inshallah, hmm maybe ur right in our house there is only 2 people so maybe that's why it feels really strange and quiet when the tv's not on lol.

I think that's why I want 9 kids also :) then the house will never be quiet and dead :)

Cabdullahi
01-27-2010, 11:27 PM
^ lol soon brother inshallah, hmm maybe ur right in our house there is only 2 people so maybe that's why it feels really strange and quiet when the tv's not on lol.

I think that's why I want 9 kids also :) then the house will never be quiet and dead :)
you and your mum ma sha allah?....same here me and mum are always in the living room whilst every1 else is upstairs

and i also share with you the passion of procreating:thumbs_up im looking for a football team inshallah lol

Salahudeen
01-27-2010, 11:32 PM
you and your mum ma sha allah?....same here me and mum are always in the living room whilst every1 else is upstairs

and i also share with you the passion of procreating:thumbs_up im looking for a football team inshallah lol

lol imagine all the benefit money you'd get for all of them ;D kidding. yeah jus 2 of us :hmm:

Raaina
01-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I hardly ever watch tv. Accept the occasional soap, history program or documentary. I'd soon be reading or outsides :)

Cabdullahi
01-27-2010, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
history program

format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
i just watch the history channel

format_quote Originally Posted by glo

I love watching radio programmes Great fun!

format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
like scientific programmes.

What's goin on in here?? are sisters really watching these kinds of stuff

Life_Is_Short
01-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Ibn Abbas narrated that Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) said:
"There are two blessings which many people lose: (They are) health and free time for doing good." (Bukhari 8/421)

T.V is a waste of time.

Darth Ultor
01-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Rarely. The news is biased and there is nothing good on anymore

IslamicRevival
01-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Dont watch TV as much as i used to. I realized as i grew older TV is the root of all evil. Every advert you watch, every disgusting 'soap' you watch rusts your heart. Everything on TV is corrupt (except most Islamic channels), I have seen kids shows which even have adult content in them. Its shocking

Sawdah
01-28-2010, 12:47 AM
I hardly watch tv, Alhamdulillah. I mostly just listen to lectures on the computer.:)

Life_Is_Short
01-28-2010, 02:48 AM
There is nothing wrong with history and scientific programmes. Islam calls us to learn all kinds of beneficial knowledge.

IslamicRevival
01-28-2010, 03:00 AM
There's nothing wrong in watching scientific, educational programmes as you can gain a lot of knowledge from them.

tw009
01-28-2010, 03:04 AM
Sometimes me and my mom watch these Pakistani soaps or these drama serials :P

Life_Is_Short
01-28-2010, 03:18 AM
T.V is mind control for dummies. Have you ever heard of hipnotic alpha waves? T.V teaches people what to think but not how to think. Hypnist and propaganda tool.

Switch off the box, or blow it up. :raging:

ardianto
01-28-2010, 05:06 AM
I watch TV everyday but not every program. Only beneficial and informative programs.

Beardo
01-28-2010, 05:10 AM
May I interest the forum members in this?

http://diariesofahafiz.com/home/?s=television

hanif_
01-28-2010, 05:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
T.V is mind control for dummies. Have you ever heard of hipnotic alpha waves? T.V teaches people what to think but not how to think. Hypnist and propaganda tool.

Ukhi Life_Is_Short:

May I ask where do you receive the core of your news, special programing, etc. When the report of the earthquake of Haiti occurred how did you hear about it from someone who watched the news?

ardianto
01-28-2010, 01:26 PM
There are many TV programs that bad for our iman, but this is not a reason for issuing fatwa that forbid TV because it would gives a 'boomerang effect' to us. In fact, not every TV program is bad. There are many beneficial and informative programs in TV. And if we forbid TV, we would lose these good programs.

So, it is better if we use our right as TV audience.

- Right to give an input, advice or complain. We have right to make protest if we find TV program that bad for people. Many TV programs in many countries have stopped after people made protests.

- Right to select channel and right to watch or watch not.

Remember, TV is one of some Windows of the World.

Eliphaz
01-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Al Jazeera, Discovery Channel, National Geographic and Comedy Central (everybody loves raymond anyone?). And of course my favourite show LOST is on Sky.

On that note I also wish to advertise that the much anticipated sixth season of LOST starts next week, Tuesday night on abc for Americans and Friday night on Sky One for Brits. For the uninitiated, it has a Muslim Iraqi character and involves many interesting themes including science, faith, fate and freewill, and to top it off is very exciting!

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-28-2010, 01:49 PM
I gave-up watching TV long back. Now I don't even watch National Geographic Channel and Discovery Channel....Those were my favourite channels once. But now I realised that they are the channels run by the same people who make music (freemasons and illuminati).

Cabdullahi
01-28-2010, 02:26 PM

Dont blame the TV blame the programs that programme the mind and the one being programmed

Life_Is_Short
01-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Dont blame the TV blame the programs that programme the mind and the one being programmed
Sorry should have made that clear. :embarrass

format_quote Originally Posted by hanif_

Ukhi Life_Is_Short:

May I ask where do you receive the core of your news, special programing, etc. When the report of the earthquake of Haiti occurred how did you hear about it from someone who watched the news?

Independant websites.

Hayaa
01-28-2010, 07:37 PM
...I don't own one. :p

Supreme
01-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I watch TV every day, about an hour. Usually it's just documentaries, or dramas about history like the BBC's Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire, although I profess to liking both Eastenders and the news.

Ansariyah
01-28-2010, 08:10 PM
I dont do t.vs I do movies tho sometimes.

Mohamed_Sadiq
01-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Salaam Brothers & Sisters

This is a interesting topic regarding TV,

In my own experience I noticed children that were born and brought up in Non-Muslim countries tend to watch more TV this is because of the influence of the kuffars and peer groups etc.

However the best thing to do, that I will advice all of my brothers & Sisters is to give up watching TV for entertainment reason and should watch TV only for news or education or (sports for males) purpose and atleast try to watch channels from Islamic countries such Iqraa, Islam channel, Al Jazeera etc,

Me personal I don't tend to watch TV even though I have one in my houshold, most of the time I watch sports and news.

May Allah turn us away from the bad things and lead us to the right path, Amiin

hanif_
01-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Independant websites.

Uhk Life_Is_Short:

Can you name some of those sites that are independent? Insha Allah.

Darth Ultor
01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohamed_Sadiq
Salaam Brothers & Sisters

This is a interesting topic regarding TV,

In my own experience I noticed children that were born and brought up in Non-Muslim countries tend to watch more TV this is because of the influence of the kuffars and peer groups etc.

However the best thing to do, that I will advice all of my brothers & Sisters is to give up watching TV for entertainment reason and should watch TV only for news or education or (sports for males) purpose and atleast try to watch channels from Islamic countries such Iqraa, Islam channel, Al Jazeera etc,

Me personal I don't tend to watch TV even though I have one in my houshold, most of the time I watch sports and news.

May Allah turn us away from the bad things and lead us to the right path, Amiin

Something wrong with entertainment?

'Abd-al Latif
01-29-2010, 01:29 AM
Don't know what you're talking about. I find the T.V switched on such a strange thing...I just don't understand how people willingly waste their lives.

_PakistaN_
01-29-2010, 01:35 AM
No, it;s been years since the last time I even watched a proper half-hour t.v show.

Life_Is_Short
01-29-2010, 02:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hanif_

Uhk Life_Is_Short:

Can you name some of those sites that are independent? Insha Allah.

I cross reference by reading the same news on various websites in order to eliminate the possibility of bias (of course). Project Censored, Media lens, and FAIR. I also watch Islam Channel news.

sabr*
01-29-2010, 07:31 AM
ب
سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Bismillā hir Rahmā nir Rahīm
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

اشْهَدُ انْ لّآ اِلهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدً اعَبْدُه وَ رسوله

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu,
wa ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu
I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Research conducted by Television in the Lives of Children By Cyndy Scheibe
with CRETV (The Center for Research on the Effects of Television ) which was begun at Cornell University in 1983 by John Condry.

In general, the effects of television on viewers can be divided into two different types: 1) direct effects due to the content of what is seen (in the programs or commercials); and 2) indirect effects due to the activity of watching TV, regardless of what is being watched. This second type of effect is very important, because it usually means that the more time children spend watching TV, the less time they are spending doing other important activities (like reading, talking with others, getting exercise, playing games, being outdoors, etc.). A lot of the negative effects of TV, like lower reading scores, obesity, and poor physical fitness, seem to be due to these indirect effects. Because of that, it's probably important to set some limits on the amount of time your child spends watching TV, regardless of what shows you allow them to watch. Remember, four hours of Sesame Street is still four hours of television.

http:// www.ithaca.edu/ cretv/research/tv_lives.html

1. Creating good viewing habits with children
(Children of Affluent families have denied TV viewing during childhood)
2. Setting limits on what programs are watched and how many hours
3. No random viewing. Choosing selected programming
4. Don't use the TV as a babysitter or substitute of spending quality time
with your child.
5. When your child is watching TV you join them and explain the programming
6. Encourage your child to watch programs that demonstrate helping,
caring, and cooperation.
7. Balance TV viewing with reading
8. Show a child how to balance TV viewing, education,ARTS, PBS
9. Instruct children how diversity helps society from what they are viewing
(Racism and Prejudice is a learned behavior)
10. Block violent channels and discuss what is unacceptable behavior.

A very interesting study. But if Muslims implement the principals of Islam in family life the majority of that study is covered and even eliminated.

Mohamed_Sadiq
01-29-2010, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
Something wrong with entertainment?

From my prespective, entertainment as i see it, could lead us into bad things therefore could affect our sins and rewards and also entertainment gives you extreme or moderate laughter and a Muslim should not laugh too much as they won't know whether they will be ending in hell or paradise. Also entertainment can come in different forms such music, explicit films, foul language from programmes, half naked actors and actresses and all this is bad for our eyes, ears and faith and could lead us into sins so therefore ENTERTAINMENT COULD RESULT INTO SINS, SO WHATEVER THAT CAN LEAD YOU INTO SINS KEEP WAY CLEAR OF IT!

(So i hope i answered your naive question..)

CosmicPathos
01-29-2010, 10:00 PM
I personally do not watch TV. For entertainment, I do sometimes watch some old school pakistani dramas made in 80s and I find them entertaining because they stimulate my thinking and allow me to contemplate on the nature of life, society we live in, and humans that surround us.

Darth Ultor
01-29-2010, 11:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohamed_Sadiq
From my prespective, entertainment as i see it, could lead us into bad things therefore could affect our sins and rewards and also entertainment gives you extreme or moderate laughter and a Muslim should not laugh too much as they won't know whether they will be ending in hell or paradise. Also entertainment can come in different forms such music, explicit films, foul language from programmes, half naked actors and actresses and all this is bad for our eyes, ears and faith and could lead us into sins so therefore ENTERTAINMENT COULD RESULT INTO SINS, SO WHATEVER THAT CAN LEAD YOU INTO SINS KEEP WAY CLEAR OF IT!

(So i hope i answered your naive question..)
Naive? You're basically saying that being happy or enjoying life is a bad thing (in reference to what you said about laughing). And I doubt the Quran says you cannot laugh or be happy.

Asiyah3
01-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Naive? You're basically saying that being happy or enjoying life is a bad thing (in reference to what you said about laughing). And I doubt the Quran says you cannot laugh or be happy.
At-Tirmidhi reported in As-Sunan (1980 – with as-Saheeh) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“How can I enjoy life when the bearer of the horn (or trumpet) has put the horn to his lips and is listening, waiting for the command to blow?” It was as if this was difficult for the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to hear, so he said to them:

“Say: Hasbuna Allaah wa ni’am al-wakeel, ‘ala Allaah tawakkalnaa (Sufficient for us is Allaah, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs, in Allaah we put our trust).”

Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab entered upon the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he was lying on a mat of palm fibres that had left marks on his side. ‘Umar said, “O Messenger of Allaah, why do you not get something more comfortable than this?” He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What do I have to do with this world? My relationship with this world is like that of a traveller on a hot summer’s day, who seeks shade under a tree for an hour, then moves on.” (Reported by Ahmad and al-Haakim. Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5545).

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: When the Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) prayed, he would stand for so long that his feet became swollen. ‘Aa’ishah said: O Messenger of Allaah, are you doing this when Allaah has forgiven your past and future sins? He said: “O ‘Aa’ishah, should I not be a thankful slave?”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari (4557) and Muslim (2820).

Darth Ultor
01-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Could you put that in layman's terms please?

sabr*
01-30-2010, 12:11 AM
سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

اشْهَدُ انْ لّآ اِلهَ اِلَّا اللّهُ وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّدً اعَبْدُه وَ رسوله

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu
I bear witness that none is worthy of worship but Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

Did anyone watch the last episode of Mi5 on PBS? The plot of Mosad making it appear that terrorist took over the Saudi Arabian Embassy but were actually a Yemeni Jew speaking perfect arabi'a leading the misinformation campaign to derail a energy accord with Britain and Saudi Arabia.

Very interesting plot.

NEWS, PBS, SPORTING EVENTS

Asiyah3
01-30-2010, 12:40 AM
I'll have to sleep now so I can wake up for morning prayer, insha'lLAH (If God wills) :statisfie I'll explain the matter to you tomorrow, Insha'lLah
_______

Life_Is_Short
01-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Don't you have concept of hell and heaven in your religion?

Darth Ultor
01-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Yes we do. I don't see how this is relevant, though. What's the sin in laughing and enjoying life? Is it hurting anybody? Is it defiance against God? No.

Life_Is_Short
01-30-2010, 02:34 AM
Yes we do. I don't see how this is relevant, though. What's the sin in laughing and enjoying life? Is it hurting anybody? Is it defiance against God? No.
How can you be laughing and enjoying life when you don't know whether you'd end up in hell or heaven?

Sawdah
01-30-2010, 03:14 AM
How can you be laughing and enjoying life when you don't know whether you'd end up in hell or heaven?
Very true sister and that is why it's not good to laugh a lot.

What's the sin in laughing and enjoying life? Is it hurting anybody?
There's nothing wrong with laughing. Although laughing too much can lead to horrible things.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not laugh too much, for laughing too much deadens the heart.” (Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7312)

Also, Imaam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The kind of joking which is forbidden is that which is excessive and persistent, for it leads to too much laughter and hardening of the heart, it distracts from remembrance of Allaah, and it often leads to hurt feelings, generates hatred and causes people to lose respect and dignity. But whoever is safe from such dangers, then that which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do is permissible for him.”
For more on laughter (it's part of the joking subject): http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/22170

And Allah Knows Best.

Darth Ultor
01-30-2010, 03:41 AM
I'll tell you how. By doing good to others, by not worshiping any god but Allah, by resisting temptation to sin.

sabr*
01-30-2010, 04:50 AM
سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu

I had to reread every post in this thread to make sure I didn't misunderstand some questions and responses. The realization is that just because you have a person with thousands of posts, huge number on reputation, years in forum, and a way of life designated as Islam the postings can still have you scatching your head and thinking Huh?

How many in this thread read educatonal links, Quranic and Hadith cites in forum sections:

Importance & Etiquettes of Seeking Knowledge
Aqeedah
Worship in Islam
Qur'an
Islamic History and Biographies
Manners and Purification of the Soul

A good read.

sabr*
01-30-2010, 06:04 AM
سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa
ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu

Cultural differences dictate how people implement Islam in their daily life's.
If you ask every Muslim in the forum what makes them happy on a daily basis the differences and similarities will surprise you.

Not knowing when Allah will decree for me to die I make every attempt to increase my good deeds and live everyday like my last.

Sahih Al-Bukhari (What is the volume? Book? Hadith No.?)
On the authority of Ibn 'Umar, radiyallahu 'anhuma, who said: The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, took me by the shoulder and said:

"Be in this world as though you were a stranger or a traveler/wayfarer."

Ibn 'Umar used to say: "When evening comes, do not expect (to live till) morning, and when morning comes, do not expect (to live till) evening. Take from your health (a preparation) for your illness, and from your life (a preparation) for your death."

I laugh, (Never cackling) smile daily, strive to establish a legacy based on Islam, I travel every year to a different destination (Koh Samui Island in Thailand this year, Insha Allah), surround myself with positive people, and our happiness has nothing to do with worldly wealth. Sometimes the actual lack of access to wealth for some causes a lifetime of distress and hopelessness. The quality of life one lives is important.

So those who think that every Muslim is rigid, can't apply Islam to their daily life's without enjoying life are mistaken. There are 1.6 Billion Muslims and many practice the fundamentals of Islam with complete happiness.

Our TV program viewing is selective and done with caution.

Yusuf Saeed
01-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by Mohamed_Sadiq

Brother Mohamed, you're absolutely correct about that we should concentrate on watching Islamic channels.

Something though that bothered me a little in your response was that you say we Muslims should give up watching TV for entertainment reason but then you say that watching sports is okay for males. Don't men watch sports for entertainment reasons? If they'd be solely interested in results they could read about them in the news as well.

Please don't take is as something offensive. It's just that I found it to be a bit unfair towards our sisters in Islam. :)

Snowflake
01-30-2010, 06:53 AM
:sl: I gave up tv once but my son missed out on watching cartoons so it came back lol. Now I'm addicted. I like Islam Channel, and I absolutely love documentaries be it history, crime/forensics, wildlife and programs like How it's Made. Me and my son watch them together. Sometimes we watch 80's progs like Family Fortunes and Catch Phrase. TV is great company. You don't have to have boring conversations with it. :D

sabr*
01-30-2010, 07:41 AM
سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Ašh hadu al-lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa
ašh hadu anna Muhammadun ‘abduhu wa rasūluhu

What does Allah instruct on useless Entertainment?

Surah Luqman 31:6

31:6 But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a Humiliating Penalty.
(Y. Ali translation)

Surah Ma'arij 70:42

70:42 So leave them to plunge in vain talk and play about, until they encounter that Day of theirs which they have been promised!-
(Y. Ali translation)

Eliphaz
01-30-2010, 10:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmajid
I gave-up watching TV long back. Now I don't even watch National Geographic Channel and Discovery Channel....Those were my favourite channels once. But now I realised that they are the channels run by the same people who make music (freemasons and illuminati).
Riiight!!

By the way does anyone watch Muslim Driving School? Great show!

Asiyah3
01-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Don't you have concept of hell and heaven in your religion?

Sister, why can't I send you a private message? imsad

Mohamed_Sadiq
01-30-2010, 01:44 PM

First of all could you please read carefully before you respond,

Look at what I wrote to you and does it say anything about happiness?

There are many ways a human being could be happy and extreme laughter does not always give you happiness and enjoyment in life (maybe in a short term), things that a Muslim should find happy about is to follow their religion in a right way, having a family could lead to happiness and many more things. Also I never said laughter is a sin but I said laughter could lead you into sins so read carefully and understand what I wrote please, I hope you understand now!:shade:

Asiyah3
01-30-2010, 04:53 PM
I'll use an example. If you'd have a very imporant job interview tomorrow what do you do? You really really want the job.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!