/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Italy moves towards emulating France on burqa ban

Uthman
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Italy may soon seek a ban on full- face Muslim veils, drawing on debate in France where President Nicolas Sarkozy has described the burqa as unwelcome and legislators are considering a vote to outlaw or restrict it.

Equal Opportunities Minister Mara Carfagna has said the Italian government will quickly follow in France's footsteps, breathing new life into four draft bills on burqas already circulating in parliamentary committees.

"I completely agree with the French initiative, which I think will push other European countries and hence, also Italy, to enact laws on this issue," Carfagna said this week.

"This is about a sacrosanct battle to defend the dignity and rights of immigrant women. A law is being studied that would ban the use of a burqa and niqab, which are not religious symbols -- that's not us saying it, but the top religious authorities of the Islamic world, like the imams of Cairo and Paris."

Her comments came after a French parliamentary panel this week urged the National Assembly to pass a resolution denouncing full Muslim face veils and then vote on the strictest law possible to ban women from wearing them.

Critics see the Burqa, a full veil with a slit for the eyes, as a symbol of the subjugation of women.

In Italy, the initiative has drawn strong support from the far-right, anti-immigrant Northern League party in Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's conservative government, though some opposition figures have also applauded the move.

In deeply Catholic Italy -- where a European court ruling against crucifixes in classrooms sparked a national uproar -- a few small northern towns have already tried to ban burqas with local decrees, though some of those were later annulled.

The ban initiative also looks to have the backing of most Italians. A poll by the SWG polling group showed 71 percent of Italians were in favour of a ban on full face veils.

"WALKING UNDER WATER"

Still, like in France, the issue has provoked sharp debate in Italy over whether a new law is needed, with leftist politicians and even some in Berlusconi's coalition questioning whether legislation could end up being counterproductive.

"I'm convinced the burqa is a prison and a form of male dominance," said leftist senator Vittoria Franco. "Having said that, I think it's wrong to ban it because it would be an abstract intervention that would not help emancipate women."

Others say wearing a burqa or a niqab -- a face veil with an eye opening -- is already illegal under a 1975 anti-terrorism law that bars appearing in public with a masked face.

But conservative lawmaker Souad Sbai, who has proposed amending the 1975 law to specifically include the words "niqab" and "burqa", says a clear message needs to be sent to dissuade young immigrant Muslim women from taking up face veils.

"If we don't ban it now, tomorrow we'll have lots of women walking around in a niqab," Sbai, who is of Moroccan descent, told Reuters. "Each day the number of women wearing it rises. Just go to Brescia, Bergamo or Milan or any market, They are full of women wearing them."

She says more than 1,000 women in Italy wear full face veils, though Ahmad Gianpiero Vincenzo, head of the Italian Muslim Intellectuals group, says not more than 100 women do.

Muslim groups in Italy say they advise women against wearing face veils, but that enacting a new law on it is either unnecessary or could constitute an attempt to legislate personal choice.

Either way, burqa wearers are unlikely to get much done in Italy, says a reporter from La Repubblica newspaper. Going undercover in a niqab, she recounted not being allowed to borrow library books and being asked to leave local government offices.

"Walking around Milan inside a burqa is like walking under water," she wrote in the left-leaning newspaper.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Why those Italians want to ban burqa ?. Because burqa is Islamic clothes ?.

They must visit my city and see, Catholic nuns can walk on the street in their uniform and no one disturb them.

bewildred
01-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Honestly, I can't understand how there still are people who are surprised at the decisions of these countries who are well known for their anti-islamic policies. Mr. Berlusconi says all the nonsensical stuff possible about Islam. At least, from the start, he made it cklear. It's the French government that plays with words. They say they respect Islam, the second religion of the country, but they want to reinstore the national identity. Burqa will no longer be accepted in public places.......

Whatever they say, whatever law they impose on us, whatever opinions they have on Islam, it no longer trigger any surprise in me.

We should rather point our attention on the Egyptian wall of shame. Why is there no indignation at the latest Egyptian decision? When they said they should secure their borders from the evil palestinian, why weren't we surprised? When they help our brothers starve and let the Palestinian children without medicines, who cares?

Supreme
01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
This isn't surprising. Italy has been blocking the contruction of mosques for years under the pretense that Muslims 'can pray anywhere', and thet they are unnecessary. Muslims in continental Europe should just settle in Britian- we're richer than our European 'neighbours', and far more religiously tolerant!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Danah
01-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Its a competition on who can do more against Islam :hmm:

Güven
01-29-2010, 05:21 PM
I wonder what pope's opinion is on this matter?

Life_Is_Short
01-29-2010, 05:24 PM
We won't go down without a fight.

cat eyes
01-29-2010, 05:33 PM
:sl: and what are they saying about the hijab brother? are the sisters allowed to wear hijab in work places? i wonder how these sisters are going to cope really if thats the case then they should ban people from wearing motor bike helmets or even girls caps for that matter. utterly scandalous. france has always been a racist country anyway my friends were literally shouted off the road once and told to go back to there country. id never go to france or italy, hell i wouldnt even go there if i was payed to go there. no offense to any italiano's or french people here!

Asiyah3
01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
^^ I noticed the same :/

Their faity-tales are vey comical :D "male domination" "subjugation"...

Life_Is_Short
01-29-2010, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl: and what are they saying about the hijab brother? are the sisters allowed to wear hijab in work places? i wonder how these sisters are going to cope really if thats the case then they should ban people from wearing motor bike helmets or even girls caps for that matter. utterly scandalous. france has always been a racist country anyway my friends were literally shouted off the road once and told to go back to there country. id never go to france or italy, hell i wouldnt even go there if i was payed to go there. no offense to any italiano's or french people here!
My brother's friend is french (Muslim) and he moved to lebanon. <_<

cat eyes
01-29-2010, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
My brother's friend is french (Muslim) and he moved to lebanon. <_<
good for him! he made the right decision

Amadeus85
01-29-2010, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
I wonder what pope's opinion is on this matter?
So far he didn't say his view, but I'm sure that he would be against such ban. Catholic Church and pope many times said that muslims living in Europe should have religious freedom.

Froggy
01-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Apparently it's becoming a trend in Europe.

Argamemnon
02-01-2010, 02:11 AM
When will they start killing all of us?

Italianguy
02-01-2010, 02:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
When will they start killing all of us?
Hey watch it bro! That is my homeland, we aren't that way, we wouldn't kill for that. (just don't take my spaggetti) and there is no way the Pope will conform to this, he will surely say he wants religious freedom there. Stop worrying so much, this ban wont pass.

Italianguy
02-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Loro l'abitudine proibisce questo! Fermare preoccupando così molto:hmm:. Muslimah abituato deve fermare per indossare il loro coperchio:shade:. L'abitudine di papa è candidato a esso!imsad

Dio benedice.:D

Beardo
02-01-2010, 02:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
Hey watch it bro! That is my homeland, we aren't that way, we wouldn't kill for that. (just don't take my spaggetti) and there is no way the Pope will conform to this, he will surely say he wants religious freedom there. Stop worrying so much, this ban wont pass.
I don't know about that. I wouldn't be surprised if it does pass.

Which is why I urge Muslims today... Look like a Muslim. Put on your Hijaab, and grow your beards.

Put a smile on your face, and be friendly. Islam teaches us to be good to our neighbors. We all know the stories so I will not bother repeating it.

Bring back up our reputation. Why do we restrict ourselves to people of our own race? Why do we not invite non-Muslims to our house and show them our sincere lifestyles?

Or at least, why not have a nice decent chat with them?

Italianguy
02-01-2010, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

Which is why I urge Muslims today... Look like a Muslim. Put on your Hijaab, and grow your beards.

Put a smile on your face, and be friendly. Islam teaches us to be good to our neighbors. We all know the stories so I will not bother repeating it.

Bring back up our reputation. Why do we restrict ourselves to people of our own race? Why do we not invite non-Muslims to our house and show them our sincere lifestyles?

You are welcome i my home anyday! Come on over:D La mia casa è la sua casa!:D

If I come to your place, will you have........chapati's?;D

Beardo
02-01-2010, 03:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
You are welcome i my home anyday! Come on over:D La mia casa è la sua casa!:D

If I come to your place, will you have........chapati's?;D
Well, can I have a ride on your golf kart? :X I PMed you about this last time but you didn't respond, so I figured you didn't want me to drive it...
imsad

Italianguy
02-01-2010, 03:55 AM
Well, can I have a ride on your golf kart? :X I PMed you about this last time but you didn't respond, so I figured you didn't want me to drive it...
imsad
Oh sorry, I don't remember seeing a PM about that?

But anyway....heck yeah you can! ;D I forgot to tell everyone i got it back weeks ago. Looks great and i banned Zainab and my wife from driving it........that lasted 2 days:heated: At least they havent wrecked it yet. We have had A BLAST;D on it the past couple of days! It snowed 12 inches here and the roads are iced over so we have been doing some drifting....if you know what i mean;D....I know, i know.....i just got it backimsad BUT IT"S TOTALY WORTH IT!;D

My wife and Zainab have had so much fun....Zainab in nuts:p she had that thing sideways at 20 mph! Scared the s*** out of me , but she and my wife laughed so hard i thought they quit breathing+o( .....or i was because they said i screamed like a girl:embarrass

Supreme
02-01-2010, 04:37 PM

To be fair, I don't imagine growing a beard makes you look like a Muslim.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.