/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is there any honor, in honor killings?

Italianguy
01-31-2010, 07:57 PM
I actually did a study on these so called honor killings a few years back. I interviewed some survivors of these heinous crimes. I was just wondering what your oppinions on this matter are?

Do you think that at any time this should be allowed?

God be with you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
'Honour killings' have no place in Islam or civilised society in general.

Italianguy
01-31-2010, 08:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Very true, but there are some whom believe it is ok and or normal to do so. It is sad really.

czgibson
01-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Greetings,

I've never understood this phenomenon. Surely the loss of honour involved in being a murderer is far worse than the loss of honour resulting from the vast majority of other situations?

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
01-31-2010, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
Very true, but there are some whom believe it is ok and or normal to do so. It is sad really.
There are people who believe all sorts of violent crimes are normal and okay to commit.

That's the point of the existence of prisons and execution, depending on the law of the land.

CosmicPathos
01-31-2010, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
It is related to the concept of ego and one's respect. Especially males. For example in South Asia, you would rarely hear that a man was killed by a woman as a matter of "honor killings." I was surprised to see that this concept also existed in Iraq! I used to think its a South Asian phenomenon.

In India and Pakistan, if someone swears at one's mom, it is morally ok, if not legally, for the victim to beat the abuser to death. I think it all boils down to the concept of "respect, ego, place in social hierarchy." A male who does not take with seriousness the cultural customs as they apply to females, he is considered worthless. So fornication is considered disgusting in these customs. A male who does not take with seriousness a female of his family who broke that custom by committing adultery, the society will shun him morally.

Honor killings might also have evolutionary basis at genetic levels.

Woodrow
01-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Honor killings typically have their basis in culture and not religious belief. They are a throw back to ancient pagan and/or barbarian times. No basis for them in Islam and many other religions.

S<Chowdhury
01-31-2010, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Agreed, but its more of a cultural thing anyway n exist in most society unfortunately, most of these people who think its okey make links with religion which is totally absurd. Anyway here is a interesting article on which a Sociologist Dr. Mazhar Bağlı did research about this phenomenon

http://www.sundayszaman.com/sunday/d...etay&link=3481

Danah
01-31-2010, 08:24 PM
There is a huge difference between the ruling of Islam and what so called Culture

Italianguy
01-31-2010, 08:36 PM
I interveiwed a couple of people, but 2 women in particular, they where Muslim. They where in similar situations. The first one was attacked by her brothers by command of her father, because she found out her husband was commiting adultry, he then turned it on her, and to protect his family's (and her fathers) reputation, the command for her murder was ordered. Her brothers beat her until almost dead, she only escaped by acting as if she were dead. She is heavily scarred and is still hiding in America from her family. She will never get to see her family again.

The other woman was being hit on by another man in public, after the man found out she was married (some poeple saw him talking to her) he accused the woman of offering him physical relations for money. Her father tried to set her on fire....:cry: she is heavily burned being covered in 3rd degree burns all over the left side of her body:cry:

These so called honor killings are a disgusting display of mans inability to forego greed and his own revelling in self worth.

God be with these women.Amen

Banu_Hashim
01-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Italian Guy, you've asked your question on an Islamic Forum and to be honest you're going to get answers as if you've asked on any obscure forum e.g. a motor-sport forum;the reason being that Islam has not the slightest connection with "honour killings". Islam as a religion and a way of life is completely independent of cultural practices that existed before.

All the best :).

Italianguy
01-31-2010, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Italian Guy, you've asked your question on an Islamic Forum and to be honest you're going to get answers as if you've asked on any obscure forum e.g. a motor-sport forum;the reason being that Islam has not the slightest connection with "honour killings". Islam as a religion and a way of life is completely independent of cultural practices that existed before.

All the best :).
Oh I am sorry, i did not mean to tie these honor killings to Islam at all. If i did, i appologise. I was just trying to ask a general question.

God be with you!

Donia
01-31-2010, 08:43 PM
I completely agree.

I interveiwed a couple of people, but 2 women in particular, they where Muslim. They where in similar situations. The first one was attacked by her brothers by command of her father, because she found out her husband was commiting adultry, he then turned it on her, and to protect his family's (and her fathers) reputation, the command for her murder was ordered. Her brothers beat her until almost dead, she only escaped by acting as if she were dead. She is heavily scarred and is still hiding in America from her family. She will never get to see her family again.

The other woman was being hit on by another man in public, after the man found out she was married (some poeple saw him talking to her) he accused the woman of offering him physical relations for money. Her father tried to set her on fire.... she is heavily burned being covered in 3rd degree burns all over the left side of her body

These so called honor killings are a disgusting display of mans inability to forego greed and his own revelling in self worth.
Both of those stories are very sad. imsad

Italianguy
01-31-2010, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Donia
I completely agree.

Both of those stories are very sad. imsad
The saddest part sister, is that those are only 2 of thousands:cry: These killings happen on a daily basisimsad.

Mohamed_Sadiq
02-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Honor Killing?

Is a sinful crime not allowed in Islam and whoever practices it, is in the wrong!

north_malaysian
02-02-2010, 07:41 AM
honour killing is something alien for the people in Malaysia, even during pre-Islamic time...

syilla
02-02-2010, 07:53 AM
^^^ yup agree. We will go like this :uuh: Unless if they are fighting like when the British came and colonising the Malay land.

north_malaysian
02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Unless if they are fighting like when the British came and colonising the Malay land.
only a handful of Malaysians fought the British... that's why we obtained independence peacefully... I think that Malaysians are naturally pacifists..

syilla
02-02-2010, 08:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
only a handful of Malaysians fought the British... that's why we obtained independence peacefully... I think that Malaysians are naturally pacifists..
But I think...they are a few things that the Malays will be sensitive, even as pacifists as we are.

north_malaysian
02-02-2010, 08:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
But I think...they are a few things that the Malays will be sensitive, even as pacifists as we are.
Malays are very sensitive people... but no to the extend of killing people

sister herb
02-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I don´t see any difference between honour killing and murder in Islam, they both are sin.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.