/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Motivational letter (university)

Asiyah3
02-01-2010, 05:48 PM
:sl: Brothers and sisters

My brother will be applying to a medical university in the near future, Insha'lLah. The med-uni requires a motivational letter. He's had very much truble with his studies coz' he's always been busy with helping my father with his work and so he lost motivation for studying imsad. Praise be to Allaah, now he has started to think about his future.

I thought that since in this forum there are lots of good English speakers. If you could help us and write a motivational letter (Why I want to become a doctor) please, I would be very grateful. Is there anyone willing to try? I'm very bad at this writing-thing, and I believe the members here are much better than me. It doesn't have to be perfect, I appreciate every try even if it's only one paragraph.

His high school diploma isn't so good. So I believe this will affect his entrance, if they accept him, insh'lLah

Jazakumal-Lahu khairan

We really need this and appreciate every help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raudha
02-01-2010, 06:35 PM
:wa:

May Allah grant you brother all that is best for him. Ameen

Sister, I think it would make it easier if you can provide some reasons - even if it be in point form - of why your brother wants to do medicine. In that way it will be easier to make the letter as honest and factual as possible. :peace:

Life_Is_Short
02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
In the U.K, it is known as a personal statement. I've written one and i'd be glad to help. I would also recommend reading some examples on the internet: http://www.studential.com/personalst...se.asp?type=36

When the admissions and subject tutors look at your personal statement, they are likely to be asking two main questions:
1. Do we want this student on this course?
2. Do we want this student at this university?

These can be broken down into a number of easier to answer questions:
  • Is the student suited to the course that they are applying for?
  • Does the student have the necessary qualifications and qualities for the course?
  • Is the student conscientious, hardworking and unlikely to drop out?
  • Will the student do their best and cope with the demands of the course?
  • Can the student work under pressure?
  • Will the student be able to adjust to their new environment at university?
  • What are their communication skills like?
  • Are they dedicated to this course and have researched it well?
  • Do they have a genuine interest in the subject and a desire to learn more about it?

tango92
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
sis if you want i can provide you with some exemplar medical personal statements from cambridge university applicants. pm me

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asiyah3
02-01-2010, 07:13 PM
To tell the truth he should now be studying in university already. It's just that since my father wanted him to work, he forgot all his studied. It's very hard to concentrate on work and school at the same time. Now that we found this one med-uni in which he has a chance to get, al-hamdulilLah.

Thank you all for your responses. I would've myself helped him to write the motivational letter, but I'm not good at it and my English isn't good enough and it's even worse when it has to do in this kinda thing. Like I use very simple words etc..

al_islam
02-01-2010, 07:16 PM
:salam:

Medical admissions tutors can tell on interview if you wrote your own statement.

General tips include showing good motivation and work experience.

When I was applying for medicine, I had 1 years voluntary work experience and a referee for it.

Its hard, there's no gurantee !

CosmicPathos
02-02-2010, 09:28 AM
your brother has to make sure that his personal statement is written by him, it should be inspirational and provide strong arguments why he is the best candidate for medicine. I've written one, gotten it proof-read by few medical students, professors and medical doctors. I still did not get as many interview as I wanted. Tell your brother to show his life experiences and what he learned from them by showing that he learnt something and relate them to how they would help him in becoming a competent medical doctor.

I do not know how it works in Finland but in North America, a pre-med student has to participate in many activities during undergraduate college to complement the education development. So participation in scientific research, clinical volunteering, community volunteering, varsity sports, tutoring etc are some of such activities which a typical pre-med has before they get accepted into medical school in US and Canada. Tell your brother to develop on these activities because they show that a person is dedicated and willing to suffer the hard times that medical studies will put on him.

Asiyah3
02-02-2010, 09:44 AM
He's going to apply abroad. And they don't arrange interviews.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.