/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Which topic in Islam interests you the most?

جوري
02-02-2010, 03:10 AM
:sl:

I would like to know which parts of Islam interest you the most.. so I'll make a poll and you can discuss more here if you'd like or if there is something I didn't mention..

1- I love rites and observances like memorizing the Quran or fasting in Ramadan
2- I enjoy listening to lectures by scholars and its application in real life
3- I enjoy Islamic jurisprudence
4- I enjoy Islamic Aqeedah, tawheed, figh, tarheeb, targheeb
5- I like critical interpretation especially as deals with the hereafter
6- I enjoy the stories of the prophets and the Sahaba
7- I enjoy learning about occult aspects like Jinn and life in the grave
8- I enjoy the history and political aspects of Islam.
9- Other (see below)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Italianguy
02-02-2010, 03:14 AM
I would have to say #8 History

I have learned allot of the history of Islam, just from hearing from you and others here. Very interesting indeed.:D

I would like to learn more.

How about, the different cultural influences in Islam?

جوري
02-02-2010, 03:15 AM
that would be a nice poll option perhaps a Mod, can add it there.. btw there is a poll and you can vote for more than one option or add your own and expand on it if you desire..

peace

Woodrow
02-02-2010, 03:18 AM

I chose 4- I enjoy Islamic Aqeedah, tawheed, figh, tarheeb, targhee

I see it as being the pivotal point of Islam. Almost like your location of the choice, it is central and while it is somewhat a generic choice, it encompasses a little of all that tells us what Islam is.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Italianguy
02-02-2010, 03:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
that would be a nice poll option perhaps a Mod, can add it there.. btw there is a poll and you can vote for more than one option or add your own and expand on it if you desire..

peace
oh wow cool, i will do so, thanks. I didn't see the poll the first time.

GBWY:D

Life_Is_Short
02-02-2010, 03:20 AM
I love learning about the generosity of Allah and number five. :)

alcurad
02-02-2010, 03:21 AM
3 & 8, :)
I like to go meta on any issue..

جوري
02-02-2010, 03:25 AM
^^ Yeah I see you interested in military history
Jazkoum Allah khyran for voting, this is of interest to me to know where your interests lie in Islam..

:w:

transition?
02-02-2010, 03:45 AM
I really tried to pinpoint but I couldn't.

there isn't anything about Islam that doesn't raise my imaan and make me happy.

جوري
02-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Jazaki Allah khyran.. I am hoping for a great discussion here based on choices..

syilla
02-02-2010, 03:56 AM
I can't make up my mind :hmm: and i tick everything except for the other :hmm:

Of course i'm the kind who only learn here and there... I used to go to an usulludin class but after i had my baby...i was not able to continue the class :(.

I love to learn everything... the subject that i'm sooo not good at is of course the 'arabic'. :hiding:

جوري
02-02-2010, 04:12 AM
it is OK to have interest in everything and not one singular topic.. I think the majority of people fall into that category, myself included.. but some aspects do interest me more than others in a sense I frequent them more in my book purchases than others.. for instance I really enjoy al'awlaki lectures, so most of my islamic purchases go to lectures or comparative religion and refutations against orientalist claims against Islam as it also teaches me the art of refutation for even when one is right, it is difficult to defend it without some basic principles.... but that is a question I forgot to stick up there

Beardo
02-02-2010, 04:42 AM
I absolutely LOVE stories, so any Islamic story is my favorite. Preferably the ones with dialogue and quotation marks, etc.

I also like jurisprudence and Tazkiyyah (purification of the heart/soul) like the blameworthy/praiseworthy traits. :D

جوري
02-02-2010, 04:53 AM
pls add tazkya up there as well, learning Islam from a comparative perspective if you have that admin power?

:lol:

Jazaka Allah khyran

Italianguy
02-02-2010, 05:25 AM
it is OK to have interest in everything and not one singular topic.. I think the majority of people fall into that category, myself included.. but some aspects do interest me more than others in a sense I frequent them more in my book purchases than others.. for instance I really enjoy al'awlaki lectures, so most of my islamic purchases go to lectures or comparative religion and refutations against orientalist claims against Islam as it also teaches me the art of refutation for even when one is right, it is difficult to defend it without some basic principles.... but that is a question I forgot to stick up there
So what you are saying would fall under like, an apologetics category?

Italianguy
02-02-2010, 05:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I absolutely LOVE stories, so any Islamic story is my favorite. Preferably the ones with dialogue and quotation marks, etc.

I also like jurisprudence and Tazkiyyah (purification of the heart/soul) like the blameworthy/praiseworthy traits. :D
Are there stories in the Qur'an? I have only read the first couple of Surahs. I would love to read some of the stories:D Or are they in the Hadiths?.....btw....what is the Hadiths?:embarrass

جوري
02-02-2010, 05:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
So what you are saying would fall under like, an apologetics category?
Yes............................................... ................

Italianguy
02-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Yes............................................... ................
Ahhhh ok, can the mods put that category up there on the poll? some may not know what Apologetics is, so i will give a very short defenition.

Apologetics; Is the defense or study of defense to ones faith. Basicaly arguement that your faith is right.

جوري
02-02-2010, 06:16 AM
I hate the term apologists and apologetics as much as I hate 'political pundits' but see no problem adding it up there..

Italianguy
02-02-2010, 06:19 AM
I hate the term apologists and apologetics as much as I hate 'political pundits' but see no problem adding it up there..
If you don't like it, don't put it up there on my account.:D It's your thread. I am only a guest visiting:D Good post though, i like this one.

God be with you.

جوري
02-02-2010, 06:23 AM
well that is in fact a branch I enjoy.. I just dislike the word.. some words I dislike but the list is too numerous to have any meaning to our topic here..

peace

Froggy
02-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I mostly enjoy the stories about Muhammad and early Islamic history-

Alpha Dude
02-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

- I love rites and observances like memorizing the Quran or fasting in Ramadan

- I enjoy the stories of the prophets and the Sahaba

- I enjoy learning about occult aspects like Jinn and life in the grave

- Other: Islamic eschatology + tazkiyah.

Aardvark
02-02-2010, 01:32 PM
My owner messed up when he voted on the poll. He thought he could only select one choice. so he dug me out of hibernation and made me vote for him.

He originally voted for the 4th choice and now he made me vote for choices:

1,2,5,6,&7

He really couldn't decide which is his favorite. Blasted absent minded old goat.

Anyhow, I know he has a hard time deciding which is his favorite. It is like he can find something to hold his interest, no matter what his mood is at the time.

Now I'll evaporate and go back into hibernation.

Woodrow
02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Wa alaykum salam,

- I love rites and observances like memorizing the Quran or fasting in Ramadan

- I enjoy the stories of the prophets and the Sahaba

- I enjoy learning about occult aspects like Jinn and life in the grave

- Other: Islamic eschatology + tazkiyah.
I didn't realize I could vote more than one choice. It is hard to settle on just one. So I sent my alter ego to this thread to vote on a few more for me. Today is one of those days I am fascinated by Jinn. Not long back I was reading about the city of Petra, Legend is that Jinn carved it.

BintAbee
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Are there stories in the Qur'an? I have only read the first couple of Surahs. I would love to read some of the stories:D Or are they in the Hadiths?.....btw....what is the Hadiths?:embarrass
Yes there are stories in the Quraan, many of them. The one the Quraan describes as the most beautiful of stories is the story of Prophet Joseph (peace be upon him). It's chapter Joseph (12) in the Quraan.

Ahaadeeth (singular hadeeth) are things that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, did, commanded or approved of.

Supreme
02-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I personally am interested in the Hajj and the emphasis Islam places on holy sites. I love learning about Islamic holy places like the al Aqsa mosque and learning their history and why they're holy. It intrigues me. However, Gossamer has not posted that in her poll.

جوري
02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Greetings supreme,

that is why I put 'other' with an explanation below, but hopefully a mod can put all the new interests (including one of my own which I missed) up there..

all the best and thank you all for letting me learn of your interests

جوري
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aardvark
My owner messed up when he voted on the poll. He thought he could only select one choice. so he dug me out of hibernation and made me vote for him.

1,2,5,6,&7

He really couldn't decide which is his favorite. Blasted absent minded old goat.

Anyhow, I know he has a hard time deciding which is his favorite. It is like he can find something to hold his interest, no matter what his mood is at the time.

:lol: that was very funny..

Jazaks

CosmicPathos
02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
You missed the "scientific credibility of Islamic miracles" category. lol :p. I chose historical and military aspect for now but that goes on to show how much work I have to do regarding increasing good deeds of focussing on the 5 pillars and Quran. Another opportunity to climb up the ladder.

I do not like to engage in apologetics either. The debate should start from agnostic state (null hypothesis) and then through evidence falsifying the null hypothesis. But this applies to Muslim vs Non-Muslim behavior. For one Muslim's personal faith, once he is affirmed of God, he should never go back to null hypothesis as death can strike anytime and he might die as a kaafir just because he wanted to tend to his rational side of following the scientific method ....

Sawdah
02-03-2010, 03:30 AM
-I love rites and observances like memorizing the Quran or fasting in Ramadan
-I enjoy listening to lectures by scholars and its application in real life
-I enjoy Islamic Aqeedah, tawheed, figh, tarheeb, targheeb
-I enjoy the stories of the prophets and the Sahaba

I also enjoy the Science of Quran(or hadith). :statisfie Very Interesting.

syilla
02-03-2010, 04:10 AM

1,2,5,6,&7

MashaAllah... i envy your owner. Where did he bought you? i want one to!!!!!
Probably i need to create a robot too... hmmm

Anyway back to the topic... The thing that i'm not good at...but i really really wish i could learn it fast is of course arabics. But learning by myself is making me going nowhere... imsad

Al-manar
02-03-2010, 02:25 PM
peace

Which topic in Islam interests me the most?
depends on which era in my life

from childhood till 22 years old memorizing the Quran and its science, hadith and its science,fiqh, sira
the source of knowledge in that era besides the academic study, was the publications that been distributed by the salafi school of Saudi Arabia ...
...... in that era memorizing rather than understanding was the common way

the positives in that era,was that I learned the tools to understand the Quran and fiqh..

the cons: due to the nature of that school ,I was influenced by their style ,

1- believing that what they wrote is the absolute truth
2- was rude with other Muslims from other schools.
3- was mocking at the works of the new scholars (those who disagree with such school).
4- reaction to criticism was either to be offensive or to hide the criticism itself away from the eyes.
5-enmity to reason , following the saying (believe then understand) .
6- Ignoring science.

the next era was the era of studying other religions,taking a pause from Islamic studies ... finding no compelling reasons makes me believe in another religion as the truth,or would answer some of the questions I didn't find the answer to in Islam.....

then I get back again to Islamic studies ,now reflecting not memorizing, no longer suffering from the narrow mindedness ,intellectual virginity ,rudeness ,fear of criticism ,worshiping the old opinions etc....

in that era I became a Muslim but not by birth ,but through ,reason ,convince

right now the topic in Islam that interests me the most ,is the issue of revising our traditions ,the fact that knowledge is accumulated ,we have now better tools to the task of revision ,that never been available before...

Regards

Insaanah
02-03-2010, 02:51 PM

Jazaakillah khair for making this wonderful thread!

This is really making me think... I'd never thought before about all the aspects I enjoyed!

format_quote Originally Posted by Al-manar
right now the topic in Islam that interests me the most ,is the issue of revising our traditions ,the fact that knowledge is accumulated ,we have now better tools to the task of revision ,that never been available before...
What do you mean by, "revising our traditions"?

Al-manar
02-03-2010, 03:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan

What do you mean by, "revising our traditions"?

peace

well ,that is just one item I have dealt with .....
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ml#post1276864

there are more and more(already in my blog) never been addressed,which include false,negative beliefs,concepts common among Muslims!...

regards

Danah
02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I hope I didn't ruin the poll......because I just checked on everything :hiding: seriously, I find everything mentioned there to be attractive on its own way....I couldn't chose any. I even choose "others" which can be:

format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
You missed the "scientific credibility of Islamic miracles"
And

The field where Islam surpasses other religions is some main beliefs and concepts.

1,2,5,6,&7

Who is that? Didn't know we have Robots here ^_^

CosmicPathos
02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
I hope I didn't ruin the poll......because I just checked on everything :hiding: seriously, I find everything mentioned there to be attractive on its own way....I couldn't chose any. I even choose "others" which can be:

And

The field where Islam surpasses other religions is some main beliefs and concepts.

Who is that? Didn't know we have Robots here ^_^
that was meant to be a joke?

Danah
02-03-2010, 04:06 PM
^ I knew............

Woodrow
02-03-2010, 10:57 PM

This is really making me think... I'd never thought before about all the aspects I enjoyed!

I agree, it has also made me think. I believe if there was room for 100 options most of us would check all of them and think of more we would want to see added.

I personally love the Qur'anic Arabic. It absolutely mesmerizes me and is so unique. I think that many non-Arabic Speaking Muslims do not realize how different it is from all the spoken dialects, yet it can be understood by every Arabic speaker, even if they can not understand the dialect spoken by their neighbors.

Italianguy
02-03-2010, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

I agree, it has also made me think. I believe if there was room for 100 options most of us would check all of them and think of more we would want to see added.

I personally love the Qur'anic Arabic. It absolutely mesmerizes me and is so unique. I think that many non-Arabic Speaking Muslims do not realize how different it is from all the spoken dialects, yet it can be understood by every Arabic speaker, even if they can not understand the dialect spoken by their neighbors.
Did you learn Arabic uncle? I have been trying to learn some, it's easier than some languages but i still have allootttt of trouble trying to read the Qur'an in Arabicimsad.....1 sentance takes me about an hour of trying to say it.

Woodrow
02-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Did you learn Arabic uncle? I have been trying to learn some, it's easier than some languages but i still have allootttt of trouble trying to read the Qur'an in Arabicimsad.....1 sentance takes me about an hour of trying to say it.
I learned the Darija, Moroccan Dialect. Sadly few people speak it world wide and outside of Morocco and Algeria it is not understood. I usually end up saying N'cal Darija, wellakeen ma N'araf Shee b'el Arbeea. (I speak Morocan Arabic, but I don't understand Arabic.) Oddly although my Arabic is a limited dialect, I have no trouble in understanding the Qur'anic Arabic in spite of the fact I still can not pronounce it properly.

I have not spoken Arabic in conversation for about 40 years and am now very rusty, even in Darija.

Al-manar
02-04-2010, 12:07 AM
this Irish convert talks amazingly Arabic !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywuUO...eature=related

some funny videos

Korean speaks Arabic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJbjv...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5KoQ...eature=related

Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLoJbIsaudY

American

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vm7zIVv7_o

Japanese(note,this one has little music in background,and japanese girls without hijab)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VtUlkDXb4

chinese

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-XLguQNEKg

regards

Italianguy
02-04-2010, 12:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-manar
OMG! Your in Italy! .........Lucky you!.....I want to go homeimsad The US is so dismal....and..

جوري
02-04-2010, 12:51 AM

Jazaki Allah khyran for reading and participating.. It was really inspired by a question from an atheist which of course it had a negative connotation as expected.. but I don't have just one aspect of Islam that I like.. I love the package deal so how can I possibly sum everything up in one sentence to someone who by life-style choice is very unidimensional and sees no value to an entire lifestyle?..
So, I was standing at the fork in the road

parting ways with an atheist knowing that he'll end in a cul de sac but in my journey I fully expected to meet many Muslims who share my interests, fill my life, teach me as I them.. so my fork had many branches and was quite endless.. in fact it leads to eternity!

Italianguy
02-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Jazaki Allah khyran for reading and participating.. It was really inspired by a question from an atheist which of course it had a negative connotation as expected.. but I don't have just one aspect of Islam that I like.. I love the package deal so how can I possibly sum everything up in one sentence to someone who by life-style choice is very unidimensional and sees no value to an entire lifestyle?..
So, I was standing at the fork in the road

parting ways with an atheist knowing that he'll end in a cul de sac but in my journey I fully expected to meet many Muslims who share my interests, fill my life, teach me as I them.. so my fork had many branches and was quite endless.. in fact it leads to eternity!

Nice way to sum it up!:D

Cool pic by the way.

God be with you.

sur
02-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Someone once said, there r two aspects of religion, (1)Ritual (2)Spiritual.
Spiritual aspect interests me more than ritual aspect.

syilla
02-04-2010, 03:59 AM
oo...i can read the quran because it has 'lines' to assist but i can't read arabic article.

strivingobserver98
12-04-2015, 12:52 PM
I chose "Other" as well as listening to lectures, because I love Islamic business and finance also entrepreneurship :).

Abz2000
12-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Yaa ayyuhalladheena aamanoo udhkhuloo fi-as-silmi kaaaffah.

DanEdge
12-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Greetings,

I voted on this poll, but the numbers seem to be wrong. They add up to way over 100%...

--Dan Edge

BlueOwl358
12-05-2015, 10:06 AM
That is probably because of the multiple choice system. The percentages are counting the number of votes done by voters, so 19.57% of the voters chose Other, along with other options. So it adds up to way over 100. There are more votes than voters.

greenhill
12-06-2015, 03:01 AM
Aah... yes there are more votes than voters as we are allowed to pick more than one. I picked 3. The topics of interest or enjoyment really depends on the mood... .

I guess the stats will have to be reconfigured. :D

:peace:

strivingobserver98
12-06-2015, 12:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
Yaa ayyuhalladheena aamanoo udhkhuloo fi-as-silmi kaaaffah.
Meaning? :O

format_quote Originally Posted by BlueOwl358
That is probably because of the multiple choice system.
Yes mainly because of this. You can always make a new poll without multiple choice if you like :D.

Abz2000
12-06-2015, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان
Meaning? :O

Yes mainly because of this. You can always make a new poll without multiple choice if you like :D.
O you who believe, enter into Islam completely.
(couldn't reply to ur pm at first due to my inbox being full, Alhamdulillah brother)

drac16
05-12-2016, 02:56 AM
I like tasawwuf a lot, but since that wasn't in the list, I chose fasting in Ramadan. Ramadan is my favorite time of year by far. Every Ramadan that I have participated in, I always have received huge answers to my duas. I also find Ramadan to be the easiest time to do extra devotional practices like sunnah prayers, dhikr and listening to Qur'an. When my stomach is empty, my spiritual heart expands.

abumuslim82
05-12-2016, 04:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by جوري

I would like to know which parts of Islam interest you the most.. so I'll make a poll and you can discuss more here if you'd like or if there is something I didn't mention..

1- I love rites and observances like memorizing the Quran or fasting in Ramadan
2- I enjoy listening to lectures by scholars and its application in real life
3- I enjoy Islamic jurisprudence
4- I enjoy Islamic Aqeedah, tawheed, figh, tarheeb, targheeb
5- I like critical interpretation especially as deals with the hereafter
6- I enjoy the stories of the prophets and the Sahaba
7- I enjoy learning about occult aspects like Jinn and life in the grave
8- I enjoy the history and political aspects of Islam.
9- Other (see below)
Islam in totality interests me

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.