/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pirates? What do you think about them?

Mohamed_Sadiq
02-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Pirates in the Indian Ocean has been in the headlines for a while now and I just want to ask you guys your opinion about them. The Somali pirates have been increasing and some people think that they are do good things as they are protecting the ocean from dumping of toxic in their ocean and also illegal fishing. I am sure you all know that Somalia is lawless country for the past 18 years.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raaina
02-02-2010, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohamed_Sadiq
Pirates in the Indian Ocean has been in the headlines for a while now and I just want to ask you guys your opinion about them. The Somali pirates have been increasing and some people think that they are do good things as they are protecting the ocean from dumping of toxic in their ocean and also illegal fishing. I am sure you all know that Somalia is lawless country for the past 18 years.
What about the Somalia pirates who kidnapp people who were merely having a holiday and are holding them for a ransom?

Cabdullahi
02-02-2010, 08:38 PM
the pirates most of them are not protecting the country and its coast,they don't give a dam.n they just want monies!

Raaina
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
the pirates most of them are not protecting the country and its coast,they don't give a dam.n they just want monies!
Yeah, we've all seen pirates of the caribbean :p:hiding:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
02-02-2010, 08:46 PM
^ i haven't.........no more Hollywood for me

S<Chowdhury
02-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Lawless thugs who just want $

Dagless
02-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I agree, they'd happily let people dump toxic waste or fish if they could get a % of profits.

(Yarr!)

zakirs
02-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Pirates = robbers with a boat aka johny depp

cat eyes
02-02-2010, 09:30 PM
i think its disgraceful how they kidnapped that british couple and wanting 7million for there release. id love to chop there pirate heads off. they think there so big and tough with there shot guns...take there guns away from them and they are cowrds.

Cabdullahi
02-02-2010, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
i think its disgraceful how they kidnapped that british couple and wanting 7million for there release. id love to chop there pirate heads off. they think there so big and tough with there shot guns...take there guns away from them and they are cowrds.
chopping somebody's head off just like that is quiet a graphic thing to think about. these guys need to be captured and then they need to be punished Islamically.

S<Chowdhury
02-02-2010, 09:50 PM
This reminded me of Johann Hari article he actually argued that the pirates do have justice on there side, gives a different perspective but i don't totally agree, any thoughts ?....

You Are Being Lied to About Pirates : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann..._b_155147.html

CosmicPathos
02-02-2010, 09:58 PM
I do not have any opinion on this matter. Heck, as a rational being I should NOT have any opinion on anything that goes around the world unless I see it with my eyes and investigate it on my own. Hence, I'd stay silent regarding the Muslim pirates.

Mohamed_Sadiq
02-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Thank you for your opinions,

I have mixed opinions regarding the Somali Muslim pirates,

Firstly the whole pirates began by acting or being sort of Navy soldiers for Somalia as you all know Somalia is a kind of bad situation therefore the piracy began by taking ships that carry waste and dumping it on their ocean and also by capturing boats that were illegally fishing in the somali coast ( most of the captured ships were from the westerns) this has caused health problems in the cities that near the coast and fisherman got angry when they saw big ships taking the fishes and natural resources.

However when the pirates founded out how much power they have, they turned into mobs and mafia's and wanting $ money.

I am for and against the pirates as they doing good by protecting ther ocean from the western that are taking advantage of Somali's situation and against the pirates by capturing weak and innocent people like the two british couples as they weren't illegally fishing and dumping toxic waste.

So the pirates in Somalia do have reasons for doing what they are doing if you look at the sistuation carefully and don't get misleaded by the kuffar western media !!

Supreme
02-03-2010, 07:58 PM
They're trying to make a living, however immoral it may be. Thank God the British Government doesn't give pirates with hostages money though.

But I also think it's the people who sail into pirate territory's fault. They know full well the risks.

chacha_jalebi
02-03-2010, 09:44 PM
the somali pirates look hilariously we gotta admit, like with a mashed up boat and 20 men in there, and sticks and like one thing that is meant to be a gun and they manage to capture a fat ship or boat, that is funny,

but what they do ransom and all that, i doubt its too protect the land or summin, its so they can buy themself a decent boat instead of the mashed up ones they use :p

ardianto
02-04-2010, 03:41 AM
What's different between Muslim pirates and non-Muslim pirates ?. :?

Italianguy
02-04-2010, 04:19 AM
Whats the difference in Muslim pirates and non-Muslim pirates, you ask? I would think that Islam would be against these actions? So how can they be honorable Muslims and do these things?

I don't think it makes a difference, they're all bad. I was rounding Cape Horn on a friends (fishing) yacht 2 years ago, when a small raggedy gun boat with about 8 guys with crappy old Ak-47's were following us. They followed for about 10 minutes, then we stopped, they started screaming and yelling, so we all grabbed a couple AR-15's and a shot gun and fired it into the air as a warning to them.....they fled really fast!

I guess i can sympathise a little.....my great grandfather fled Italy as a stowaway on a ship, was caught and tossed of the ship 3 miles from shore!:heated: After comming to the US he couldn't get work, so what do you do in that situation?? You become a "Rum runner". He eventually had 2 charter fishing vessels and used them as fronts for rum running in New Yorks harbors durring prohibition. He would constantly run down t the Caribean and bring back rm and other stuff. He was never caught by the "Revenuers" and if he was...they were corrupt anyway and he would just pay them off in rum!;D

And the generation before that.....pirates. I am not tooooo proud of some of my heritage and or history, but...they are family.

ardianto
02-04-2010, 09:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
Whats the difference in Muslim pirates and non-Muslim pirates, you ask? I would think that Islam would be against these actions? So how can they be honorable Muslims and do these things?
That's the point of my question.
Piracy is a crime, and do crime is forbidden in every religion.
If they are good Muslims they would not become pirates.

I don't think it makes a difference, they're all bad. I was rounding Cape Horn on a friends (fishing) yacht 2 years ago, when a small raggedy gun boat with about 8 guys with crappy old Ak-47's were following us. They followed for about 10 minutes, then we stopped, they started screaming and yelling, so we all grabbed a couple AR-15's and a shot gun and fired it into the air as a warning to them.....they fled really fast!
That was in Cape Horn and those pirates were not Somalian pirates. Somalian pirates will not afraid although you warn them with shot your gun.
According to military source, Somalian pirates are professional and trained well. I guess, they have training camp where they can train themselves in piracy.

I guess i can sympathise a little.....my great grandfather fled Italy as a stowaway on a ship, was caught and tossed of the ship 3 miles from shore!:heated: After comming to the US he couldn't get work, so what do you do in that situation?? You become a "Rum runner". He eventually had 2 charter fishing vessels and used them as fronts for rum running in New Yorks harbors durring prohibition. He would constantly run down t the Caribean and bring back rm and other stuff. He was never caught by the "Revenuers" and if he was...they were corrupt anyway and he would just pay them off in rum!;D
Rum runner, Italians, New York, alcohol prohibition, ......
Hmm, remind me to stories that filmed by Hollywood. However, your grandpa was a real actor in real stories, not in movie.

And the generation before that.....pirates. I am not tooooo proud of some of my heritage and or history, but...they are family.
Do you have family in Caribbean ?.

Mohamed_Sadiq
02-04-2010, 10:02 AM
First of all you have to look at the situation before you critice about the difference between a muslim pirate and a non- muslim pirate.

Firstly you must understand that the Somali pirates came in existence because of the crime being done to them, the pirates were fisherman at first but then crime was commited to them and their ocean. As i mention before illegal toxic waste was and still is being dumped in the shoreline and illegal fishing and they are taking advantage of the crisis that is happening in Somalia.

Even though it might be a crime what they are doing they are defending themself from the western and the countries that are commiting the crime, so what goes around comes around!

Regarding the other pirates the non-muslim whatever you want to call them the whole reason they are into piracy is the money I mean there is no problem in their country and nobody is dumping toxic waste and illegally fishing in their shoreline so what excuse do they have?

Atleast the Somali pirates have excuses for doing what they are doing!!
In Islam self defence is allowed! I mean would you like somebody trashing your house?? eh

Pomak
02-04-2010, 10:12 AM
something think about before you make comment about particular "pirates".

Italianguy
02-04-2010, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
That's the point of my question.
Piracy is a crime, and do crime is forbidden in every religion.
If they are good Muslims they would not become pirates.

That was in Cape Horn and those pirates were not Somalian pirates. If you fire your gun into the air for warn Somalian pirates, they will shot your yacht with RPG.
According to military source, Somalian pirates are professional and trained well. I guess, they have training camp where they can train themselves in piracy.

Rum runner, Italians, New York, alcohol prohibition, ......
Hmm, remind me to stories that filmed by Hollywood. However, your grandpa was a real actor in real stories, not in movie.

Do you have family in Caribbean ?.
No no family in the Caribbean. Thats where thet got the rum from. I meant that i wasn't proud of the piracy in my families historyimsad

Your right, it was no movie.

So the Somali's go to Pirate University;D

Italianguy
02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
First of all you have to look at the situation before you critice about the difference between a muslim pirate and a non- muslim pirate.

Firstly you must understand that the Somali pirates came in existence because of the crime being done to them, the pirates were fisherman at first but then crime was commited to them and their ocean. As i mention before illegal toxic waste was and still is being dumped in the shoreline and illegal fishing and they are taking advantage of the crisis that is happening in Somalia.

Even though it might be a crime what they are doing they are defending themself from the western and the countries that are commiting the crime, so what goes around comes around!

Regarding the other pirates the non-muslim whatever you want to call them the whole reason they are into piracy is the money I mean there is no problem in their country and nobody is dumping toxic waste and illegally fishing in their shoreline so what excuse do they have?

Atleast the Somali pirates have excuses for doing what they are doing!!
In Islam self defence is allowed! I mean would you like somebody trashing your house?? eh
So is what your sayng is that we should feel sorry for those pirates that are Muslim and that their actions are justafiable? And the no-Mulsim ones don't have a real reason? ......They should all be jailed!

I don't care if they are Muslim or non-Muslim, There is absolutly no honor or justification in what they are doing for any reason whatso ever! They choose to do this, it is their choice, if the country was that poor, all of them would be pirates.

The problem with what everyone is saying here is that some would see justification in what these morons are doing. It gives the rest of Somalia a bad name, but there are more good people in Somalia than bad!

They are NOT freedom fighters or political refugees! They are outright criminals and murderers!:raging:

Beardo
02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
something think about before you make comment about particular "pirates".
I'll post the article as it may be beneficial to some.

Ward the Pirate

© Abdal-Hakim Murad, January 2003

Were they pirates, or were they warriors for Islam? For centuries, historians have debated the significance of one of the most stirring episodes in the history of Britain’s Muslim minority. Men such as Captain John Ward of Kent astounded their compatriots by proudly adopting Islam to fight the Inquisition and the expansionist powers of Europe. Contemporaries called such men ‘corsairs’; they themselves considered themselves mujahidin. Some were among the most pious Muslims this country has yet produced. Others were famous drunkards and lechers.

Ward and his likes were described by the adventurer John Smith. Later to be Disneyfied thanks to his romance with Princess Pocahontas, Smith was one English traveller who saw these Muslims at first hand, having spent some years in the Ottoman army before sailing to New England. He wrote a book, the True Travels and Adventures, to describe the European Muslims who were fighting for the Crescent against the Cross. Leading the list were men of Holland and England, who, disgusted by religious wars in their own countries, and unpersuaded by Trinities and Vicarious Atonements, ‘took the Turbant of the Turke’. ‘Because they grew hateful to all Christian princes,’ Smith observed, ‘they retired to Barbary.’

Smith was firmly of the opinion that the pirating lifestyle was introduced to the Barbary States by these Europeans, ‘who first taught the Moors to be men of war.’ His compatriots were well aware of the names of the seaborne mujahidin, particularly Captain Danseker and Captain Ward, among the most skilled seamen in the annals of English history, who placed their gifts at the disposal of emirs and sultans, and whose swashbuckling exploits Smith was able to retell in hair-raising detail.

Until the arrival of these European adventurers, the coastal ports of North Africa had been unused to war. They had, however, found new prosperity as the home of Spanish Muslims expelled by King Phillip III in 1610, an event that was perhaps the greatest act of racial brutality seen in Europe prior to the Nazi Holocaust. Most Moors knew little of the sea, and still less of the infernal arts of gunpowder; but they welcomed Muslims from the Mediterranean lands, and from the seafaring nations of the North, who were willing to accept Islam in exchange for military service with the Spanish exiles. By the middle of the sixteenth century, English Muslims were at the forefront of this movement, ranging the seas to capture first Spanish, and then any Christian ship, enslaving the crew, and selling the cargo as spoils of war.

Horrified priests regularly emerged from the churches of Algiers, Tunis and Sale, to witness the regular conversion celebrations in the streets. They report that slaves who converted would accept Islam in a simple ceremony in a mosque; but free men and women would do so at the tomb of a local saint, to which they would be led in a great public procession, preceded by a military band. Riding a horse, and holding an arrow in his hand to symbolise commitment to the Jihad, a newly-circumcised Englishman would then learn the basics of the Qur’an, and apply himself to his new vocation. Only a minority took to the sea; others are known to have made a living as tailors, or butchers, or even as imams of mosques. To this day there is a building in the Moroccan town of Sale known as the ‘Englishman’s Mosque.’

Most of these individuals took the secret of their lives with them to the grave. Thanks to the Spanish Inquisition, however, historians have access to information about a good number of them. Those who returned to a seafaring life ran the risk of recapture and interrogation by the Inquisition’s priests, and it is from the Inquisition’s meticulously-kept records that we know the details of their conversion, and, often, their tragic fate.

One Inquisition court, in the year 1610, investigated no fewer than thirty-nine Britons. Twelve of them were from the ports of the West Country. Ten were Londoners; six were from Plymouth, and others originated in Middlesbrough, Lyme, and the Channel Islands. In 1631, the Inquisition in the Spanish city of Murcia tried one Alexander Harris, who as Reis Murad had become a prominent Muslim seafarer. He was convicted, forced to convert to Catholicism, and sentenced to seven years as a galley-slave. Another unfortunate Englishman was Francis Barnes, who admitted to the inquisitors that he had faithfully prayed and fasted ‘in the Mahometan manner’ while working as a ship’s pilot at Tunis, where he was captured by Spanish raiders. In 1626, Robin Locar of Plymouth, also known as Ibrahim, was captured by Tuscan galleys and convicted of practising Islam. Captain Jonas of Dartmouth, known as Mami al-Inglizi, was yet another victim of these dreaded Spanish raiders.

An interrogation by the Inquisition was meant to be terrifying. One survivor, the Plymouth Muslim Lewis Crew, described how the priests, after using various forms of torture, would ask the Muslim captive whether they would accept papal teaching on six issues. Firstly came the Trinity, as the main point at issue between Islam and Christianity. Second was the perpetual virginity of Mary. Third was the Immaculate Conception. Fourthly, questions would be asked about the doctrine of Purgatory. Fifthly, the accused would be required to demonstrate his orthodoxy on the doctrine of papal supremacy. Finally, the Sacraments of the Catholic Church would be the subject of a complex investigation, which no doubt confused the simple sailors who made up the majority of the Inquisition’s convicts. Like many others, Crew had steeled himself for a religious debate of the kind held in public between converts and Christians in Algiers; he found, however, that the Inquisition was interested only in enforcing orthodoxy, not in justifying it.

The Inquisition’s writ counted for nothing in Protestant England; but even here, those Muslim sailors who returned to their homes could face interrogation and martyrdom. Sir Walter Raleigh, commenting on the gravity of the problem, recorded that ‘Renegadoes, that turn Turke, are impaled’, and this seems to have been the usual punishment for such men. Three English martyrs are known in the year 1620, while in 1671, a Welshman was put to death by impalement after refusing to reconvert to Christianity. Archbishop Laud was so concerned by the Muslim presence that he instituted a miniature English version of the Inquisition. His ‘Form of Penance’, enforced in 1637, laid down strict rules to ensure the sincerity of reconversions to Christianity, including the use of penitential robes and white wands borrowed directly from Catholic practice.

Despite the best efforts of the inquisitors, the corsair cities continued to thrive. By the end of the sixteenth century, the number of Englishmen and other Europeans who had joined this adventure had become enormous. Diego de Haedo, a Benedictine priest, estimated that by 1600, half of the population of Algiers was made up of European converts and their descendents. Later, Voltaire was to remark on ‘the singular fact that there are so many Spanish, French and English renegades, whom one may find in all the cities of Morocco.’

Most of the corsairs were of humble origins. A few, however, were well-known in their own lands. One such was Sir Francis Verney (1584-1615), who ‘turned Turk in Tunneis’, and was later captured and served for two years as a galley slave as a punishment for his conversion.

But perhaps the two best-known English corsairs were the celebrated sea-dogs John Ward and Simon Danseker. A seventeenth-century ballad heard throughout the taverns of England sang that

All the world about has heard
Of Danseker and Captain Ward
And of their proud adventures every day.

Ward, in particular, rose in the public eye until he became the best-known English pirate since Sir Francis Drake. Born at Faversham, he spent his teenage years working the fisheries. Late in the reign of Queen Elizabeth he joined the Navy, where his rebellious temperament impelled him to the unofficial capture of a ship rumoured to be carrying the treasure of Catholic refugees. The ship turned out to be empty of treasure, but the enterprising Ward used her to capture a much larger French ship off the south coast of Ireland, and to vanish from the Navy for good.

It was in this ship, which he called the Little John to drive home his image as a kind of latter-day Robin Hood, that he sailed to Tunis, hoping to join the campaign against the Catholic nations of the Mediterranean. He found favour with Kara Osman, the commander of the local janissary garrison, and at some point joined Islam.

His maritime prowess soon put him, according to a French report of 1606, in command of over five hundred Muslim and Christian volunteers. Among these were Captain Samson, in charge of prizes, Richard Bishop of Yarmouth (Ward’s first lieutenant), and James Procter of Southampton, who served as his gunner. Perhaps his greatest seaborne achievement was the capture of the Venetian galleon Reinera e Soderina, displacing 1500 tons, whose treasure amounted to over two million ducats.

By the second decade of the seventeenth century, Ward was master of the central Mediterranean. Another ballad has him send the following message to James I:

Go tell the King of England, go tell him this from me,
If he reign king of all the land, I will reign king at sea.

Life in Tunis, as in the Muslim world generally, was more refined and comfortable than its equivalent in Europe, and despite several offers, Ward showed no sign of yearning for his home shores. He built a palace, described by William Lithgow, the Scottish raconteur who passed through Tunis in 1616, as ‘a fair palace beautified with rich marble and alabaster stones. With whom I found domestics, some fifteen circumcised English renegades, whose lives and countenances were both alike. Old Ward their master was placable and diverse times in my ten days staying there I dined and supped with him.’ Another visitor, Edward Coxere, reported that Ward ‘always had a Turkish habit on, he was to drink water and no wine, and wore little irons under his Turk’s shoes like horseshoes’.

When Ward died of the plague in 1622, England seemed to be in two minds about him. There were many who hailed him as the scourge of the Papist navies, or as a man of humble origins who rose to humble the rich and powerful. Others found it harder to accept him, because of his voluntary conversion to Islam, and his adoption of Turkish ways and values. He was ‘the great English pirate … it is said that he was the first that put the Turks in a way to turn pirates at sea like himself’. But he was not soon forgotten. Later generations of English Muslims, both at home and in North Africa, admired him as a superb mariner, fearless in battle, and a doughty warrior for the Crescent against those who expelled the Moriscos, and sought to impose their implacable and cruel customs on the free lands of the South, where church, mosque and synagogue coexisted for centuries, and where humble birth was no barrier to glory.

This article also appeared in Seasons, the Zaytuna Journal.

ardianto
02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
The only positive side of Somali pirates is, they do not kill their hostage. But maybe 'not yet'.

But I don't think capturing ships and ship crews then ask money from the ship owner is Islamic. And according to facts, those pirates use these moneys for buy cars, build their houses, etc. While other people in their place are still poor.

During 2006-2009, 74 Indonesian ship crews were captured by those pirates. And their ship were not fishing ships and the did not trashing any waste !. Now 14 Indonesians are still in Somalia as hostages. The rest have released after ship owners pay ransom to those Somali pirates. But remember, these payment were not paid sincerely. :raging:

Italianguy
02-04-2010, 02:46 PM
The only positive side of Somali pirates is, they do not kill their hostage. But maybe 'not yet'.

But I don't think capturing ships and ship crews then ask money from the ship owner is Islamic. And according to facts, those pirates use these moneys for buy cars, build their houses, etc. While other people in their place are still poor.

During 2006-2009, 74 Indonesian ship crews were captured by those pirates. And their ship were not fishing ships and the did not trashing any waste !. Now 14 Indonesians are still in Somalia as hostages. The rest have released after ship owners pay ransom to those Somali pirates. But remember, these payment were not paid sincerely. :raging:
It is horrible bro. I will pray for all the hostages of these devils.imsad

ardianto
02-04-2010, 03:41 PM
No no family in the Caribbean. Thats where thet got the rum from. I meant that i wasn't proud of the piracy in my families historyimsad
Don't be sad. I was kidding. :D

ardianto
02-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks, bro.
I also pray for all hostages. They have families in their homes.

Italianguy
02-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Don't be sad. I was kidding. :D
I know;D

I don't take much as insult anyway.

Mohamed_Sadiq
02-04-2010, 05:52 PM
News Africa 'Toxic waste' behind Somali piracy By Najad Abdullahi

Some pirates operating off Somalia's coast claim to act as coastguards [GALLO/GETTY]
Somali pirates have accused European firms of dumping toxic waste off the Somali coast and are demanding an $8m ransom for the return of a Ukranian ship they captured, saying the money will go towards cleaning up the waste.
The ransom demand is a means of "reacting to the toxic waste that has been continually dumped on the shores of our country for nearly 20 years", Januna Ali Jama, a spokesman for the pirates, based in the semi-autonomous region of Puntland, said.
"The Somali coastline has been destroyed, and we believe this money is nothing compared to the devastation that we have seen on the seas."
The pirates are holding the MV Faina, a Ukrainian ship carrying tanks and military hardware, off Somalia's northern coast.
According to the International Maritime Bureau, 61 attacks by pirates have been reported since the start of the year.
While money is the primary objective of the hijackings, claims of the continued environmental destruction off Somalia's coast have been largely ignored by the regions's maritime authorities.
Dumping allegations
Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the UN envoy for Somalia confirmed to Al Jazeera the world body has "reliable information" that European and Asian companies are dumping toxic waste, including nuclear waste, off the Somali coastline.
"I must stress however, that no government has endorsed this act, and that private companies and individuals acting alone are responsible," he said

The pirates are holding the MV Faina off Somalia's northern coast [Reuters]
Allegations of the dumping of toxic waste, as well as illegal fishing, have circulated since the early 1990s.
But evidence of such practices literally appeared on the beaches of northern Somalia when the tsunami of 2004 hit the country.
The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) reported the tsunami had washed up rusting containers of toxic waste on the shores of Puntland.
Nick Nuttall, a UNEP spokesman, told Al Jazeera that when the barrels were smashed open by the force of the waves, the containers exposed a "frightening activity" that has been going on for more than decade.
"Somalia has been used as a dumping ground for hazardous waste starting in the early 1990s, and continuing through the civil war there," he said.
"European companies found it to be very cheap to get rid of the waste, costing as little as $2.50 a tonne, where waste disposal costs in Europe are something like $1000 a tonne.
"And the waste is many different kinds. There is uranium radioactive waste. There is lead, and heavy metals like cadmium and mercury. There is also industrial waste, and there are hospital wastes, chemical wastes – you name it."
Nuttall also said that since the containers came ashore, hundreds of residents have fallen ill, suffering from mouth and abdominal bleeding, skin infections and other ailments.
"We [the UNEP] had planned to do a proper, in-depth scientific assessment on the magnitude of the problem. But because of the high levels of insecurity onshore and off the Somali coast, we are unable to carry out an accurate assessment of the extent of the problem," he said.
However, Ould-Abdallah claims the practice still continues.
"What is most alarming here is that nuclear waste is being dumped. Radioactive uranium waste that is potentially killing Somalis and completely destroying the ocean," he said.

Some pirates operating off Somalia's coast claim to act as coastguards [GALLO/GETTY]
Somali pirates have accused European firms of dumping toxic waste off the Somali coast and are demanding an $8m ransom for the return of a Ukranian ship they captured, saying the money will go towards cleaning up the waste.
The ransom demand is a means of "reacting to the toxic waste that has been continually dumped on the shores of our country for nearly 20 years", Januna Ali Jama, a spokesman for the pirates, based in the semi-autonomous region of Puntland, said.
"The Somali coastline has been destroyed, and we believe this money is nothing compared to the devastation that we have seen on the seas."
The pirates are holding the MV Faina, a Ukrainian ship carrying tanks and military hardware, off Somalia's northern coast.
According to the International Maritime Bureau, 61 attacks by pirates have been reported since the start of the year.
While money is the primary objective of the hijackings, claims of the continued environmental destruction off Somalia's coast have been largely ignored by the regions's maritime authorities.
Dumping allegations
Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the UN envoy for Somalia confirmed to Al Jazeera the world body has "reliable information" that European and Asian companies are dumping toxic waste, including nuclear waste, off the Somali coastline.
"I must stress however, that no government has endorsed this act, and that private companies and individuals acting alone are responsible," he said

Allegations of the dumping of toxic waste, as well as illegal fishing, have circulated since the early 1990s.
But evidence of such practices literally appeared on the beaches of northern Somalia when the tsunami of 2004 hit the country.
The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) reported the tsunami had washed up rusting containers of toxic waste on the shores of Puntland.
Nick Nuttall, a UNEP spokesman, told Al Jazeera that when the barrels were smashed open by the force of the waves, the containers exposed a "frightening activity" that has been going on for more than decade.
"Somalia has been used as a dumping ground for hazardous waste starting in the early 1990s, and continuing through the civil war there," he said.
"European companies found it to be very cheap to get rid of the waste, costing as little as $2.50 a tonne, where waste disposal costs in Europe are something like $1000 a tonne.
"And the waste is many different kinds. There is uranium radioactive waste. There is lead, and heavy metals like cadmium and mercury. There is also industrial waste, and there are hospital wastes, chemical wastes – you name it."
Nuttall also said that since the containers came ashore, hundreds of residents have fallen ill, suffering from mouth and abdominal bleeding, skin infections and other ailments.
"We [the UNEP] had planned to do a proper, in-depth scientific assessment on the magnitude of the problem. But because of the high levels of insecurity onshore and off the Somali coast, we are unable to carry out an accurate assessment of the extent of the problem," he said.
"What is most alarming here is that nuclear waste is being dumped. Radioactive uranium waste that is potentially killing Somalis and completely destroying the ocean," he said.

Dumping allegations

Dumping allegations
"I must stress however, that no government has endorsed this act, and that private companies and individuals acting alone are responsible," he said Allegations of the dumping of toxic waste, as well as illegal fishing, have circulated since the early 1990s.

:cry::cry: Tears for Somalia

Those people that are doing that to the Somali shoreline are the devil!! not the somali pirates (somali navy).

Mohamed_Sadiq
02-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Dumping allegations

Italianguy
02-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Dumping allegations

I share tears for Somalia as a whole....but not for the pirates at all.

Pomak
02-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I share tears for Somalia as a whole....but not for the pirates at all.
SO what? You believe that people should be able to eat up all your fish first (Somali's were largely dependent on fishing) then they start dumping their **** in your waters both of which were done without any payments to the Somalis and you do NOTHING?

Italianguy
02-05-2010, 01:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
SO what? You believe that people should be able to eat up all your fish first (Somali's were largely dependent on fishing) then they start dumping their **** in your waters both of which were done without any payments to the Somalis and you do NOTHING?
Yes, i would say i would have to do something, but I am in the US , and Samolia is a lawless country, but i am sure someone was getting paid for the dumping, probably some kind of dignitaries. Some one always gets rich off of someone elses defenselessness.

If yu saw the reply i had put before, that was meant for another post, sorry.

God be with you.

ardianto
02-05-2010, 04:12 AM
Okay, I accept your explanation, brother Mohamed Sadiq and brother Pomak.

But why you think all ship and all ship crews dump toxic waste in Somalian sea area ?.
Brothers, if passenger in some cars throw garbage on the street front of your house, it doesn't means passenger in every car that pass on this street throw garbage too.

Brothers, hundreds ship crews are still in Somalia as hostages, and not all of the are guilty. Tell those Somalis to establish court or investigation bureau to investigate fault of those hostages. If they found hostage that not guilty and never did anything bad in ocean, the Somalis must release this hostage.

Wasalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh.

Pomak
02-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Okay, I accept your explanation, brother Mohamed Sadiq and brother Pomak.

But why you think all ship and all ship crews dump toxic waste in Somalian sea area ?.
Brothers, if passenger in some cars throw garbage on the street front of your house, it doesn't means passenger in every car that pass on this street throw garbage too.

Brothers, hundreds ship crews are still in Somalia as hostages, and not all of the are guilty. Tell those Somalis to establish court or investigation bureau to investigate fault of those hostages. If they found hostage that not guilty and never did anything bad in ocean, the Somalis must release this hostage.

Wasalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh.
From the look of it, they look like they want get "compensation" for the stolen goods. And yes there is an aspect of the criminal element that is cashing in on this as well.

As for the court idea you should keep three things in mind.

1. Somalia is still in a civil war

2. You think those CEO's will be brought to Somalia to face trial?

3. Somalis need to feed themselves NOW, not at some point in the future when they can get damages(money) from a court.

Yes piracy is bad, but so is stealing yet Umar r.a. accepted it during the famine. Something to think about.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.