/* */

PDA

View Full Version : MPs told to repay £1.1million expenses

Supreme
02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8496729.stm

MPs should repay £1.12m of their second home expenses, an audit of claims dating back to 2004 has said.

Sir Thomas Legg recommended that 389 MPs, more than half the current and past MPs reviewed, should repay £1.3m.

Some complained about the way he carried out the audit and £180,000 was cut off the total after appeals.

Sir Thomas said the expenses system was "deeply flawed", the rules "vague" and it had been up to MPs to "self certify" the propriety of their claims.

MPs had to sign a declaration with each claim saying "that I incurred these costs wholly, exclusively and necessarily to enable me to stay overnight away from my only or main home for the purpose of performing my duties as a Member of Parliament".

In his report Sir Thomas pointed out there had been a "culture of deference" to MPs by expenses officials and "no audit of any kind" of second homes expenses during the period he covered.
Well I'm pleased they're finally having to repay it. This would be a joke if it wasn't so much money. I, for one, am furious MPs have been riding on the back of the British public.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Life_Is_Short
02-05-2010, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Well I'm pleased they're finally having to repay it. This would be a joke if it wasn't so much money. I, for one, am furious MPs have been riding on the back of the British public.
I agree. :exhausted

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.