/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A question for Indonesians - What is "Ayam Penyet"?

north_malaysian
02-05-2010, 08:11 AM
I went to an Indonesian restaurant in KL called "Waroeng Penyet" which serves "Ayam Penyet", "Daging Penyet" and "Ikan Penyet"...

Alhamdulillah, the meals were so awesome....

But, as the waiters were so busy ... and I was busy eating... I cant get a moment to ask ... what's "Penyet" means?

in my dialect, "penyet" means "flattened"... but I dont see the chicken being flattened... :exhausted

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
02-05-2010, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I went to an Indonesian restaurant in KL called "Waroeng Penyet" which serves "Ayam Penyet", "Daging Penyet" and "Ikan Penyet"...

Alhamdulillah, the meals were so awesome....
Ayam = Chicken
Daging = Meat/Beef
Ikan = Fish

Ayam Penyet. Typical food from East Java province, Indonesia. Served with rice.

But, as the waiters were so busy ... and I was busy eating... I cant get a moment to ask ... what's "Penyet" means?

in my dialect, "penyet" means "flattened"... but I dont see the chicken being flattened... :exhausted
Actually, 'Penyet' is not original word in Malaysian/Indonesian language, but came from Javanese language.
There are two meanings of 'Penyet'.
First : Flattened/smashed/crushed.
Second : Press/Push.

If the chicken is not being flattened, that is because 'Penyet' that used in 'Ayam Penyet' is the second meaning (Press/Push).

Ayam Penyet recipe

1/2 Kg chicken.
100 ml water.
1/4 teaspoon pepper powder.
cooking oil for frying.

Blended spice
2 cloves garlic.
1/2 teaspoon salt.
1/4 teaspoon coriander.
curcuma

Sambal (Grind it on cobek).
1/4 teaspoon salt.
1/2 teaspoon sugar.
5 bird eyes chilies
'Terasi'.
1/2 tomato.

This is 'Cobek' (stone saucer) and 'Ulekan' (grinder) , A traditional kitchenware for make 'Sambal'. There is another model that made from wood.

How to cook.
Mix chicken with blended spices, pepper powder and water. Cook it in the frying pan. Don't forget to cover this frying pan. Wait until the water going dry.
Use 'cobek' and 'ulekan' for grind salt, sugar, chilies. Then add tomato, and grind it too. Let it on 'cobek'.
Fry the chicken. When the chicken is still hot, put it onto 'cobek'.
Push/press (Penyet) this chicken with 'ulekan' on the sambal.

:)

north_malaysian
02-06-2010, 06:23 AM
thanks ardianto for explaining... so it's Eastern Javanese food... no wonder they gave loads of "tempe" too... :D

what's "terasi"?

ardianto
02-06-2010, 10:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
thanks ardianto for explaining... so it's Eastern Javanese food... no wonder they gave loads of "tempe" too... :D
Yes, there is "tempe penyet", "tahu penyet", etc. You can create new variant of "penyet".
what's "terasi"?
A dried shrimp paste. People in your place call it "Belacan". :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
02-07-2010, 11:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Yes, there is "tempe penyet", "tahu penyet", etc. You can create new variant of "penyet".

A dried shrimp paste. People in your place call it "Belacan". :D
oh... belacan.... ;D

waqas maqsood
02-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Dude... thats sounds tasty... beside im feeling peckish

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.