/* */

PDA

View Full Version : keffiyeh...is it for mens and womens or only men?

skatteress
02-07-2010, 06:49 PM
:sl:

i was out today and i was wearing the a keffiyeh around my neck because of the cold weather and a lady ( muslim) came up to me and told me that i cant wear it and it only for men and the west made it a fashion and stuff..
so i was just wondering if it is only for men :hmm:
:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
02-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Is it a scarf?

ardianto
02-08-2010, 04:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Is it a scarf?
This is Keffiyeh : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keffiyeh

Usually worn by men, but it doesn't mean women cannot wear keffiyeh as scarf.

skatteress
02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Is it a scarf?
i wasnt wearing it around my head... i wrapped it around my neck..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
02-10-2010, 04:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by skatteress
i wasnt wearing it around my head... i wrapped it around my neck..
I guess you wore 'Palestinian motif' black and white (or red and white) keffiyeh.

Actually keffiyeh itself is unisex clothes. But of course, you cannot wear it on your head like Yasser Arafat, that is man's style.

It's OK if you (as a woman) wrap it around your neck. But remember, keffiyeh has becomes a symbol of courageousness after Palestinian wear keffiyeh as 'battle uniform'. So, wear keffiyeh will makes you look 'macho'.

CosmicPathos
02-10-2010, 05:06 AM
its considered unisex only in the west. In Khaleej, I never saw woman wearing it either on heard or neck as a scarf. So maybe that aunt found it offensive when someone else was using their cultural thing in a wrong way?

Froggy
02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
It's unisex, even Israeli women wear it ...

ardianto
02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Correction : At the past Keffiyeh was only for men but later becomes unisex.

VizierX
02-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I've always wanted to get one. Like a real one, not the fake stuff you get in the high street. Anybody know how I can purchase one in the UK?

skatteress
02-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Anybody know how I can purchase one in the UK?
probabaly from saudi... buh i dont know about delivery.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.