/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sister Activities- start them in your area!

AlbanianMuslim
02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
:sl:

Since I dont have access to the sisters section yet, i dont have enough posts, I hope it is ok to post it here.

I notice a lot of sisters who post threads need support for various things or dont have very many friends where they are. I had the very same problem and decided to stop moping about it and did something. Myself and another girl who is revert and had the same issue started what we call "sister activities" for the muslim girls that go to our university or live in our area. We have done a few activities so far and they have been a major success.
The parents approve and love the activities we chose as well as the fact that it is just us sisters. We also set up guidelines that serve to keep the sisters activities healthy and fun. We keep a no phone zone, so girls arent on their phones texting or making calls unless its to all someone for a ride home as well as a drama free zone, so none of our conversations center around personal issues or other people. We do however discuss issues facing muslims in the u.s. and various other things. We share books or news stories with eachother and fashion ideas for dressing appropriately as well as feeling good. For the sisters who do need support in various personal issues we have three women who serve as "mothers" to the group. They are older and well versed in Islamic propriety as well as the ways of the world. Depending on what the issue is we guide the girl to one of these ladies who helps her privately and maintains confidentiality.

Next week inshallah we are doing a hijab party (kind of like a tupa wear party only with hijabs!) and we will be exchanging hijabs with a sister we picked out from tickets in a bucket. None of us know who will be the giver of our hijab so it should be fun to see what kinds of hijabs we have picked out for each other.

I encourage any of the sisters here to try and get something like this going. It helps keep sisters happy and interacting with fellow muslimahs. It isnt hard at all, even if you only get a few involved its well worth it because you make life long friends.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.