/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dressing up for the mosque.

mohammadumer
02-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Salam Aaliakum.

I have a question.
This other day I was out with my frnds and the time for magrhib prayer came and we all went for the namaz to the musalla , we dont have a mosque in our area for now, after the namaz was over and we were walking out a brother stops me and tells me that the shirt i was wearing , which my queestion is to. i happend to be wearing a Superman logo shirt, and that brother in front of every1 said taht its not right to wear a superman logo shirt sicne superman cannot die and he has powers according to the brother he depicts himeslef(superman) has god and that i shudnt be wearing it to the mosque.
I respect his opinion and the concern but i dunno why make it so difficult for our youth then it already is..alhamdulilah ive been praying since the time i can remember and which is my duty as a muslim but for the youth for today living here if a younf brother for which taht might have been a 1st time visit to a mosque he wud be taken back..

sorry for the long essay.
My question was..is it not allowed to wear shirts with superman logo to a mosque or musalla?
I jus wanna know so i can go back and talk to that brother.
Thank you very much
Im really sorry if my question wasnt asked properly i dont mean to offend anyone.

Salam Aliakum.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
02-10-2010, 04:22 AM
:sl:

I never heard weird prohibition like this. Superman is a fiction superhero, he is not real. Actually, that brother's reason to forbids you wear shirt with Superman logo is irrational reason.

But you don't need to go back to that brother and talk with him about Superman logo. And, next time when you pray in that masjid again, it's better if you do not wear shirt with Superman logo. It for prevent a clash between you and that brother.

hanif_
02-10-2010, 06:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

I never heard weird prohibition like this. Superman is a fiction superhero, he is not real. Actually, that brother's reason to forbids you wear shirt with Superman logo is irrational reason.

But you don't need to go back to that brother and talk with him about Superman logo. And, next time when you pray in that masjid again, it's better if you do not wear shirt with Superman logo. It for prevent a clash between you and that brother.

ardianto:

Make every attempt to understand the reasoning of why someone takes a position. It is difficult to understand a position when you are unaware.

Narrated Abu Talha:

The Prophet said, "Angels do not enter a house witch has either a dog or a picture in it." Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 539:

As brother Wa7abiScientist stated above there is a difference between a photo and logo on a shirt.

CosmicPathos
02-10-2010, 06:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hanif_

ardianto:

Make every attempt to understand the reasoning of why someone takes a position. It is difficult to understand a position when you are unaware.

Narrated Abu Talha:

The Prophet said, "Angels do not enter a house witch has either a dog or a picture in it." Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 539:
There's a difference in a logo and picture?

But I agree, wearing a superman tshirt acknowledges that you like a character which has "divine" super powers and this liking does not befit a believer. Comics and fiction has no place in real life. Real life is not supposed to be fantasy for a believer. Its as real as it gets. I think, therefore I am.

To the OP: sorry to say but its "high time" that we, youth, in the West stop acting like innocents who are suffering the worst. We live in houses, at least apartments which have proper heating systems. At least have one TV set at home? Have video games to play with? Yet we still claim that we are having too much? Talk to the youth from the Muslim world, which eats after 6 months what we eat on weekends yet their tawakkul and taqwa in Allah is higher than us.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AlbanianMuslim
02-10-2010, 12:59 PM
How is being more conscious of what you wear to the mosque making it harder for you to there? You should already be extremely careful what you wear there. If you really love that shirt, wear it when you are going somewhere else. When you go to the mosque wear a nice button up or something. It really shouldnt be that difficult for you brothers.
Us sisters however, have so much more to be careful about wearing in and out of the masjid. If we can manage, you can too. :)

Innocent Soul
02-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Assalamualaikum
This link tells us about the difference.
http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/71170/cartoons

cat eyes
02-10-2010, 01:45 PM
:sl: i think that the brother felt that he needed to tell you and correct you.

i sometimes feel the need to do that for example if a sister has a little bit of hair coming out of her hijab so i will tell her or i will even fix it for her..

if i don't do it i will feel bad for the rest of the day if i saw something that didnt look right, thats just the way i am by nature. of course some people like and some people dislike it but it all depends on how you approach somebody to tell them.

and we should always look at the example of our prophet mohammad (saw) and how he approached people. he never tried to embarrass anybody or jump down there throats..

i think you should wear something different next time brother like a salwar kameez for men :)
:wa:

IbnAbdulHakim
02-10-2010, 01:52 PM
i dont understand why even turn it into a discussion.

if it offends the brother then its best to not wear it to the masjid as per his request.

if not for any other reason, then out of love for another muslim brother.

inshAllah

Alpha Dude
02-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

While I don't claim wearing a superman logo shirt to be haram, I'd say it can be disrespectful whilst reading salah.

If that brother came to you and took you to one side and respectfully told you that it may not be the best thing, then you might have been more willing to take his advice.
and that brother in front of every1 said taht its not right to wear a superman logo shirt sicne superman cannot die
In this case, shouting it out in front of everyone indicates tactlessness on his part and it's only natural that you'd feel offended being put on the spot like that.

However, you should take his advice cos it is reasonable. Just put his lack of wisdom down to ignorance and forgive him for it.

Alpha Dude
02-10-2010, 02:20 PM
In turn, maybe you could tell him that it would be better to advise people quietly on the side so that they don't get offended.

abdelsalam
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Why don't brother's just leave it to Allah to judge? If the brother was properly covered then that is between him and allah. There is no hierarchy in Islam.

I can see if someone is consistently showing up to the mosque improperly dressed. But one time?

Personally, I keep a dishdasha in my trunk just in case I'm in a hurry and wearing shorts and a T-shirt. I can throw it on over the top.

Abdul Qadir
02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammadumer
Salam Aaliakum.
My question was..is it not allowed to wear shirts with superman logo to a mosque or musalla?

Salam Aliakum.
Wa'alaikum salam..wear batman logo next time and see the reaction...maybe that man is a hardcore batman fan...both are Marvel characters, but just try it..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.