PDA

View Full Version : Got laid off at work :(

markislam
02-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I got laid off at work today

was a good job

i am so sad imsad

please make duas that i get a good job

in the mosque where i go there are so many brothers who dont have a job since 1 year. so I was wondering how they survive :(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
02-10-2010, 02:48 PM
:salamext:

If Allah has taken it from you then He will replace it with something better.

And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine. And if any one puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is (Allah) for him. For Allah will surely accomplish his purpose: verily, for all things has Allah appointed a due proportion.
[65:3]

hanif_
02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
:sl:

markislam:

Perform du'a and it will workout. The best time to start self-employment is in a down economic time. Usually people are conditioned to be employees from generation to generation. If you have the talents to make an employer a profit why couldn't you make yourself the profit.

A book explaining the thought is Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Money isn't the primary focus for Muslims but there is nothing haram regarding earning a living and being self-employed.

42:36 (Y. Ali) Whatever ye are given (here) is (but) a convenience of this life: but that which is with Allah is better and more lasting: (it is) for those who believe and put their trust in their Lord:

جوري
02-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I am sorry for your woes Mark.. I shall keep you in my du3a insha'Allah

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
sincere apologies. I am unemployed for two years and its not a good feeling. I hope you get a job of your liking soon, inshALLAH.

Woodrow
02-10-2010, 06:47 PM
My Du'as are for all of my brother's and sister's who are finding themselves currently unemployed.

Being unemployed is one of the hardest jobs a person will ever face. To accomplish anything while unemployed, treat it as a full time job. Be ready to spend 8 hours per day in this new job you find yourself in. (Yes, it is a job). Do not change your accustomed hours, still get up at the same time and get dressed for work.

If you have not done so already, write your resume.

Begin each morning with an active job search. Be certain you keep an active application at the local employment office. Check the paper each day for job openings. Begin using the phone book to look at possible companies you may be able to work for.

Plan your week that you will submit 10 job applications each week, your goal is to have at least 3 job interviews lined up each week.

Check with temporary employment agencies. Always keep in mind your goal is to find halal employment, not necessarily what you want or have been trained for.

Do not adopt the "unemployed attitude" You are currently employed as a "Job Searcher" and part of your duties is to establish a daily routine for finding employment. That is your job and part of your job description is to conduct job searches.

Learn to use and use every resource available, such as libraries, employment, agencies, newspaper ads, community bulletin boards etc. Do not keep your job search to yourself, do not miss any opportunity to let every friend and family member know you are sincerely seeking employment. Join any job clubs available.

Remember, a job is not going to find you, your job is to hunt down and capture the job. It is an elusive prey and you will have to develop every skill you have, to successfully be a job hunter.

markislam
02-10-2010, 07:05 PM
I feel there is no point working for some one just as hanif_ said.

Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) was self employed so were many prophets including Jesus(pbuh) who was a carpenter.

I need to change my view of thinking.

markislam
02-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Wa7abiScientist sorry to hear you been unemployed for 2 years can you share me tips on how you survive with out any pay, iam just curious that is all.

CosmicPathos
02-10-2010, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by markislam
Wa7abiScientist sorry to hear you been unemployed for 2 years can you share me tips on how you survive with out any pay, iam just curious that is all.
I am basically living in my parent's basement's nook and depending on them for food. There is nothing I can do about it. The only other way is to get loans to feed myself but that involves interest. I tutor some kids and that is enough to pay off my bills. I still have a long way to complete my studies and I am in suspended animation as to when I will start those studies. Its not looking good.

I hope you find your means of rizq soon. inshALLAH.

hanif_
02-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Woodrow:

We utilized the library to create two business ventures. We have not worked for anyone in over twelve years. Alhamdulillah.

Take the time to view http://www.entrepreneur.com/bizstartups/index.html magazines website. The are many ideas on low cost start-up business. Use the ideas to create your own business ideas.

The hottest sector in self-employment with low start-up fees is debt settlement. Assisting people in getting out of debt. Never a down time. The leads are the expensive part of the business.

SMA89
02-10-2010, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hanif_

Woodrow:

We utilized the library to create two business ventures. We have not worked for anyone in over twelve years. Alhamdulillah.

Take the time to view http://www.entrepreneur.com/bizstartups/index.html magazines website. The are many ideas on low cost start-up business. Use the ideas to create your own business ideas.

The hottest sector in self-employment with low start-up fees is debt settlement. Assisting people in getting out of debt. Never a down time. The leads are the expensive part of the business.
What kind of business are you in? I have ran 2 businesses before and im young also but I don't have enough time to focus on University and my business. I am into importing automotive parts from China into Canada. Can you explain more about the Debt Settlement business? How will I get my leads and how will I be able to help them?

hanif_
02-10-2010, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SMA89
What kind of business are you in? I have ran 2 businesses before and im young also but I don't have enough time to focus on University and my business. I am into importing automotive parts from China into Canada. Can you explain more about the Debt Settlement business? How will I get my leads and how will I be able to help them?

SMA89:

we suggest that you limit any personal information you post online until you have established the trustworthiness of the other party. We are cautious with anyone behind a computer. We will wait at least until you acquire 50 posts to evaluate who we are attempting to assist.

I hope you understand our caution.

It is a strange situation. You follow and agree with a posters posts and then a particular subject presents itself and you realize who you are really dealing with. It is best to be cautious online.

We hope to assist you ASAP with whatever information you need in the future with at least 50 posts.

Italianguy
02-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I started my business 6 years ago at 24 years old and I am curently a full time university student...again. It is even hard for the employed as well, even though i am CEO and owner of my company i am constantly worried about winning new bids for contracts. People are cutting throats (under bidding) now more than ever to get work. It's a scary time out there.

I hope all of you find work soon. God bless.

Blackpool
02-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I got laid off at work today

was a good job

i am so sad imsad

please make duas that i get a good job

in the mosque where i go there are so many brothers who dont have a job since 1 year. so I was wondering how they survive :(
They're living off benefits, not much but enough to live on. Use the benefit system until you have yourself a job but find yourself one as soon as you can. Nobody has respect for someone that's been unemployed for so long whilst raking in benefits.
Before someone says, there are plenty of jobs knocking about despite the credit crunch. I have a "Kirkham advertiser" that comes through my door every week with companies looking for workers to employ. I could land myself another job tomorrow so get your CVs printed and send them out to as many companies as you possibly can. Use that phone like you've never done before and I can assure you that you will land yourself a job before the end of the week.

Danah
02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
I am sorry to hear that about you brother.
May Allah ease your affairs and grant you a better job than the one you lost. You don't what what is Allah's wisdom behind that. Everything happened for a reason.

Woodrow
02-10-2010, 11:34 PM

Woodrow:

:D

I had been self employed for over 30 years. been retired now for 19 years, but have a horse ranch and sell horses. also have a food distribution business that we incorporated in Nevada, but it is inactive until this summer

SMA89
02-11-2010, 12:14 AM

SMA89:

we suggest that you limit any personal information you post online until you have established the trustworthiness of the other party. We are cautious with anyone behind a computer. We will wait at least until you acquire 50 posts to evaluate who we are attempting to assist.

I hope you understand our caution.

It is a strange situation. You follow and agree with a posters posts and then a particular subject presents itself and you realize who you are really dealing with. It is best to be cautious online.

We hope to assist you ASAP with whatever information you need in the future with at least 50 posts.
I am a previous member. I just changed accounts. Anyways it seems like a lot of people are self employed here and I would love to learn a lot about the business start-ups and ideas.

mohammed_alim
02-11-2010, 01:23 AM
i applied for a job jan 2009 i was in the recruitment process for over 1 year up until 4 weeks ago, i thought i had my career sorted out i passed all the stages of the process, but 1 day before starting my course i had a fone call telling me not to turn up because something had gone wrong. i was so gutted becos i waited 1 year and put so much effort and time into it. back to square 1 nw.

Woodrow
02-11-2010, 01:28 AM
I am a previous member. I just changed accounts. Anyways it seems like a lot of people are self employed here and I would love to learn a lot about the business start-ups and ideas.

Self employment has a seperate set of rewards and trials than working for another person. It really is not for everybody and often results in less pay than working for an established business.

For self employment the first step is to be certain you have the skills needed to provide the service or product you desire to market. the main skill a self employed person needs is salesmanship. All self employed people are salesmen.

after that be certain you have verifiable proof you can provide what you promise. Often this will be work experience, but it can also be education. Next be certain there is a market for your service or product, and not just family and friends. Do your home work and be certain of the market and future market.

For start up costs err on the side of safety. Be certain you have enough start up capital to hold through the first 5 years and do not expect to regain all of your expenses until the 10th year.

Set up a good business plan. Set it up to cover your goals and expectations for the first 5 years. Do a daily projection for the first 3 months, weekly for the nxt 3 and monthly there after. After the fifth year continue with an overall annual plan.

A business plan can make or destroy a business.

for self employment do not plan on an 8 hour day for 5 days a week and a guaranteed paycheck. Plan on 12 hour days 7 days a week and instead of a pay check plan on business expenses.

Some essential skills needed to succeed in self employment

1. Strong work ethic, you place the job as more important than the income

2. ability to work long hours alone

3. ability to work without supervision

4. the ability to absorb all loses during the first year

5. Ability to perform every facet of the business from management, to sales, to cleaning the toilet.

6. Recognize time is money and every second you are not generating money, is a loss for the business

7. ability to hire and fairly manage employees

8. Be an expert of the product or service you plan to market.

9. do not forget to be grateful to Allaah(swt)

10. Use your business to praise Allaah(swt) first and bring you an income second.

hanif_
02-11-2010, 01:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
:D

I had been self employed for over 30 years. been retired now for 19 years, but have a horse ranch and sell horses. also have a food distribution business that we incorporated in Nevada, but it is inactive until this summer

We realized by reviewing your profile (experience) and your thoughtful posts that you were seasoned. That second part of the post regarding tips was intended for SMA89. But you provided him with some jewels. Hopefully he will be able to benefit.

Our relationship with a consulting firm allows us to direct Muslims to a foundation that assists building a business from the ground up.

If you reflect on successful businessesmany duplicate an idea and make it better. The CD, DVD and BLUERAY, all innovations that someone else invented but was made better by another party.

SMA89
02-11-2010, 01:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Self employment has a seperate set of rewards and trials than working for another person. It really is not for everybody and often results in less pay than working for an established business.

For self employment the first step is to be certain you have the skills needed to provide the service or product you desire to market. the main skill a self employed person needs is salesmanship. All self employed people are salesmen.

after that be certain you have verifiable proof you can provide what you promise. Often this will be work experience, but it can also be education. Next be certain there is a market for your service or product, and not just family and friends. Do your home work and be certain of the market and future market.

For start up costs err on the side of safety. Be certain you have enough start up capital to hold through the first 5 years and do not expect to regain all of your expenses until the 10th year.

Set up a good business plan. Set it up to cover your goals and expectations for the first 5 years. Do a daily projection for the first 3 months, weekly for the nxt 3 and monthly there after. After the fifth year continue with an overall annual plan.

A business plan can make or destroy a business.

for self employment do not plan on an 8 hour day for 5 days a week and a guaranteed paycheck. Plan on 12 hour days 7 days a week and instead of a pay check plan on business expenses.

5. Ability to perform every facet of the business from management, to sales, to cleaning the toilet.

6. Recognize time is money and every second you are not generating money, is a loss for the business

10. Use your business to praise Allaah(swt) first and bring you an income second.
Great advice. I actually have a passion to run a business so I will be spending most of my time on my business. Some people see work as just a need to get by day to day to pay off expenses but I see it more of a way of living. I don't do it for the money but I know money is needed on this Earth to have freedom in life and peace of mind. Without money you will lose opportunities in life. I love travelling so I want to start up an importing/exporting company so I can travel around the world and meet new people while i'm working. In the future I plan on creating social businesses that will be beneficial to the world as a whole. For example, doing projects in South Asia to develop the country in different aspects. What kind of business are you in btw?

SMA89
02-11-2010, 02:04 AM
Oh sorry I missed the part where woodrow said what business he was in. I just wanted to know how you started? Where did you get the funding etc. and the idea to start. Did you get help from friends and family or did you do it on your own. Did you have any downfalls and how did you recover from the downfalls?

SMA89
02-11-2010, 02:06 AM

We realized by reviewing your profile (experience) and your thoughtful posts that you were seasoned. That second part of the post regarding tips was intended for SMA89. But you provided him with some jewels. Hopefully he will be able to benefit.

Our relationship with a consulting firm allows us to direct Muslims to a foundation that assists building a business from the ground up.

If you reflect on successful businessesmany duplicate an idea and make it better. The CD, DVD and BLUERAY, all innovations that someone else invented but was made better by another party.
I hope you will be able to assist me in starting up an importing exporting business in the future. I am still in 2nd year in Business management in University so I am trying to get as much as information as possible.

Abdul Qadir
02-11-2010, 03:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
sincere apologies. I am unemployed for two years and its not a good feeling. I hope you get a job of your liking soon, inshALLAH.
WHAT? May Allah Bless both of your with a Blessed job.

syilla
02-11-2010, 03:54 AM

That is so hard :hmm: I was really planning to quit and open a cake shop from my house :hmm: but i have no support from my family. They don't think i'm serius.

hanif_
02-11-2010, 03:59 AM
I hope you will be able to assist me in starting up an importing exporting business in the future. I am still in 2nd year in Business management in University so I am trying to get as much as information as possible.

SMA89:

The best practical advice I ever received was when working with salesmen. I was able to take the theory of the classroom and actually apply it in the real world. A secondary education for many works but directs them to a lifetime of working for someone else.

I have trained countless MBA that are highly intelligent in the classroom but were unable to translate the A grades in the real world. A salesman always said to me that he would take a person with commonsense over a person with book sense any day. If a person had both attributes he less likely would need to train them.

Review this link. You are intelligent enough to educate yourself on the import/export business with a how to and still attend school. I am confidant you can do it. Insha Allah

Import/Export Start-up Guide A-Z

http://www.smallbizbooks.com/c/s/00021.html

http://www.smallbizbooks.com/c/s/index.html

SMA89
02-11-2010, 04:20 AM

SMA89:

The best practical advice I ever received was when working with salesmen. I was able to take the theory of the classroom and actually apply it in the real world. A secondary education for many works but directs them to a lifetime of working for someone else.

I have trained countless MBA that are highly intelligent in the classroom but were unable to translate the A grades in the real world. A salesman always said to me that he would take a person with commonsense over a person with book sense any day. If a person had both attributes he less likely would need to train them.

Review this link. You are intelligent enough to educate yourself on the import/export business with a how to and still attend school. I am confidant you can do it. Insha Allah

Import/Export Start-up Guide A-Z

http://www.smallbizbooks.com/c/s/00021.html

http://www.smallbizbooks.com/c/s/index.html
Thanks for the links. I ran a small franchised business before and also a small importing exporting business. I use the drop ship business model where I am the middle man making deals for vendors with manufacturers in China. I am only 20 years old tho and not experienced as the rest. I also have more street smarts than book smarts. I would like to say im intelligent but I am not a good writer but I am working on it. I just love to go out and get things done. I have done a lot of Door to Door selling and etc.

hanif_
02-11-2010, 04:26 AM

SMA89:

You will do fine. Insha Allah. Put your trust in Allah and everything will work out fine. You are just in your twenties. The obstacles and trials you will face have yet to materialize. Just apply Islam and you will be fine. Insha Allah

If you were able to convince a person to let you in their household you should be able to convince a person in the venture you promote.
As Ukhti syilla stated above door to door sales is not a easy occupation.

You are doing more than people twice your age. You will be surprised how many engineers, etc are unemployed and not seeking employment out of their field.

syilla
02-11-2010, 04:26 AM
^^^door to door selling is soooo harrdd... i've been told that you can never be a good business man if you can not do the door to door selling. Same goes to the telemarketing :D

SMA89
02-11-2010, 04:48 AM

SMA89:

You will do fine. Insha Allah. Put your trust in Allah and everything will work out fine. You are just in your twenties. The obstacles and trials you will face have yet to materialize. Just apply Islam and you will be fine. Insha Allah

If you were able to convince a person to let you in their household you should be able to convince a person in the venture you promote.
As Ukhti syilla stated above door to door sales is not a easy occupation.

You are doing more than people twice your age. You will be surprised how many engineers, etc are unemployed and not seeking employment out of their field.
Thanks for the support.

and yeah Door to Door isn't easy when you start but you will have to realize that people are nice and they are there to help you/talk to you. If you think positive, you will get positive results.

Blackpool
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
That is so hard :hmm: I was really planning to quit and open a cake shop from my house :hmm: but i have no support from my family. They don't think i'm serius.
Are you taking the pee? ;D Making cakes at home to earn a living? How many do you think you'll sell in a day and at what price lol?

Get yourself a factory, a few machines and a few hundred workers. But a load of ingredients and get started. You'll make at least £50million a day. I have a Fox's Biscuits factory close to me, it's NEVER shut. I envy the owner :hmm: Must be a multi-billionaire.

ardianto
02-11-2010, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
^^^door to door selling is soooo harrdd... i've been told that you can never be a good business man if you can not do the door to door selling. Same goes to the telemarketing :D
Agree .... !

Door to door selling is so hard, but it can be our first step if we want to be an entrepreneur.

Several years ago I was a door to door salesman in some companies, and I was the only salesman who had experience as director. :D

ardianto
02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Is it means you prepare yourself to be unemployed person for next 2 years ?.

Brother, I know you are still shocked today. It's OK if you take a rest for next few days. But then you must get up and looking for a new job.

I see uncle Woodrow wrote a good advice in post #6. You can follow that advice. Insha Allah, you will find a good job.

I help you with du'a, bro. :)

A-Believer-25
02-11-2010, 04:21 PM

I am sorry to hear that, brother. :( May Allah help you find a better job and grant you good in this world and the next

جوري
02-11-2010, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
Are you taking the pee? ;D Making cakes at home to earn a living? How many do you think you'll sell in a day and at what price lol?

Get yourself a factory, a few machines and a few hundred workers. But a load of ingredients and get started. You'll make at least £50million a day. I have a Fox's Biscuits factory close to me, it's NEVER shut. I envy the owner :hmm: Must be a multi-billionaire.

I buy my cakes and cookies and other pastries from a small family owned pastry shop.. I think it is a thousand times better than a factory.. their stuff tastes homemade and not manufactured and I know the people they greet all their customers with a smile..

I know there is not much room for small businesses in this cut throat corporate world but I personally like to support small business owners who put their heart and soul into their work..

I think sr. syilla can start small and insha'Allah in time it will in a big way in more ways than one...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.