View Full Version : Hero's of the islamic golden ERA

Mr.President
02-13-2010, 06:37 PM
being the nemesis of the Crusaders

he won the respect of many of them, including Richard the Lionheart;

An enemy became a celebrated example ??

who is he ??

format_quote Originally Posted by wikipedia

Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb ARABIC: صلاح الدين يوسف بن أيوب‎, , Kurdish: سه*لاحه*دین ئه*یوبی, Selah'edînê Eyubî) (c. 1138 — March 4, 1193), better known in the Western world as Saladin, was a Kurdish[2][3] Muslim who became the first Ayyubid Sultan of Egypt and Syria. He led Islamic opposition to the Franks and other European Crusaders in the Levant. At the height of his power, he ruled over Egypt, Syria, Mesopotamia, Hejaz, and Yemen. He led the Muslims against the Crusaders and eventually recaptured Palestine from the Kingdom of Jerusalem after his victory in the Battle of Hattin. As such, he is a notable figure in Kurdish, Arab, Persian, Turkish and Muslim culture. Saladin was a strict practitioner of Sunni Islam. His chivalrous behavior was noted by Christian chroniclers, especially in the accounts of the siege of Kerak in Moab, and despite being the nemesis of the Crusaders he won the respect of many of them, including Richard the Lionheart; rather than becoming a hated figure in Europe, he became a celebrated example of the principles of chivalry.

format_quote Originally Posted by wikipedia

About education, Saladin wrote "children are brought up in the way in which their elders were brought up." According to one of his biographers, al-Wahrani, Saladin was able to answer questions on Euclid, the Almagest, arithmetic, and law, but this was an academic ideal and it was study of the Qur'an and the "sciences of religion" that linked him to his contemporaries.[6] Several sources claim that during his studies he was more interested in religion than joining the military.[7] Another factor which may have affected his interest in religion was that during the First Crusade, Jerusalem was taken in a surprise attack by the Christians.[7] In addition to Islam, Saladin had a knowledge of the genealogies, biographies, and histories of the Arabs, as well as the bloodlines of Arabian horses. More significantly, he knew the Hamasah of Abu Tammam by heart.[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
02-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Saladin was a legend. I think he's one of the great historical figures that history has shamefully neglected, well at least here in the West.

Maryan0
02-14-2010, 12:47 AM
I very much admire Salahudeen he was truly a great muslim. May Allah have mercy on him.
salam

Sawdah
02-14-2010, 03:44 AM
SubhanAllah, Salahudeen rahimullah was a great hero.
I listened to his biography, it was amazing.

Here's a teaser Halal Dawa Recards made :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVCsm...video_response
(the link to the actual lecture is there on the youtube page.)

If you want to download this lecture:

By Sheikh Zahir Mahmood. The Worshipper, The Warrior, The Conqueror, The Legend Salahudeen al-Ayyubi, celebrated by the muslims as the liberator or al-Quds and equally revered by the west for his compassion and bravery. The CD lecture details the heroic life and efforts of this warrior and ascetic, may Allaah have mercy upon him.
Download
:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Samiun
02-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Is he one of the blessed warriors that are going to heaven? Such as the Sahabah of the Prophet SAW? OR the comparison between him and the sabahas are wide?

huan
02-14-2010, 02:57 PM
How can he be a hero, they guy killed so many people.

Supreme
02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by huan
Whether or not someone is a hero is entirely a matter of subjectivity. However, I am willing to concede that Saladdin was a magnificent general, who was trying to fight for his land. I think Saladdin and Omar Bakr are the two figures in Islamic history I'd classify as great.

Uthman
02-14-2010, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Whether or not someone is a hero is entirely a matter of subjectivity. However, I am willing to concede that Saladdin was a magnificent general, who was trying to fight for his land. I think Saladdin and Omar Bakr are the two figures in Islamic history I'd classify as great.
Not to mention Prophet Muhammad (:saws:) whom Michael Hart ranked at number 1 in his book The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History. :)

Of course, it would be true to say that influential doesn't necessarily mean great. But I would argue that it's equally true to say that part of what would make Muhammad (:saws:) great from a Non-Muslim perspective lies in his tremendous influence.

Supreme
02-14-2010, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
Not to mention Prophet Muhammad (:saws:) whom Michael Hart ranked at number 1 in his book The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History. :)

Of course, it would be true to say that influential doesn't necessarily mean great. But I would argue that it's equally true to say that part of what would make Muhammad (:saws:) great from a Non-Muslim perspective lies in his tremendous influence.
Well, I would exclude Muhammed because that's a given. By Islamic history, I generally mean after Muhammed's death. I like Omar Bakr because of his tolerance of Christians. He refused to pray in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and and Church of the Nativity fearing they would later be turned into mosques.;D

Insecured soul
02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
You should also know that he forgave prisoners of war which was quite shocking at that time, he was following the footsteps of prophet and his companions

and when muslims are caught up like that, they are being tortured inhumanely... like abu ghraib and guantanamo

VizierX
02-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Dude, I'm pretty much a pacifist but he was was defending his land from foreign invasion.

Froggy
02-14-2010, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by VizierX
Dude, I'm pretty much a pacifist but he was was defending his land from foreign invasion.
What constitues "defending a land from foreign invasion" is highly subjective. You could say the crusaders were defending the Holy land from the Muslim invasion. To make my point equal sided for Muslims - The Iberian peninsula was ruled by Arabs for almost 7 centuries, yet the Spaniards refer to its conquest as liberation.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.