/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Obama names special envoy to global Islamic group

Uthman
02-14-2010, 08:51 AM
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Saturday named a White House lawyer as his special envoy to the Organization of the Islamic Conference, part of his continuing effort to repair strained U.S. relations with the world's Muslims.

Obama announced Rashad Hussain's appointment during a video address to the 7th U.S.-Islamic World Forum meeting in Doha, Qatar.

As his liaison to the OIC, the president said Hussain will continue working to repair U.S.-Islamic relations and develop the types of partnerships Obama called for when he addressed the Muslim world during a speech last year in Cairo.

U.S. relations with the Muslim world became strained after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In the video address, Obama said he called in Cairo for the U.S. and Muslims to start anew "based on mutual interest and mutual respect" because the relationship had "slipped into a cycle of misunderstanding and mistrust that can lead to conflict rather than cooperation."

He said he looked forward to continuing the dialogue next month when he visits Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim country. Obama also spent several of his childhood years living in Indonesia with his mother and stepfather.

Obama recounted efforts by his administration to foster partnerships with Muslims on education, economic development, global health, and science and technology. He touched on the plan to remove all U.S. combat troops from Iraq by the end of August, and his administration's efforts to return Israelis and Palestinians to the negotiating table to jump-start stalled peace talks.

Obama also announced a summit on entrepreneurship in April with Muslim business leaders and entrepreneurs from around the world.

The president said Hussain's goal, as special envoy to the OIC, will be to deepen existing partnerships and develop others. The OIC represents nearly 60 Muslim states across four continents and promotes Muslim solidarity in social and political affairs.

Hussain is a deputy associate counsel to Obama who focuses on national security, new media, and science and technology issues. He also has worked with the national security staff to help repair U.S.-Muslim relations. Obama said Hussain is a hafiz of the Quran, meaning Hussain has memorized the Muslim holy book.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton was scheduled to speak at the meeting in Doha on Sunday.

Obama is not the first president to name a special envoy to the Islamic conference. In his final year in office, George W. Bush named Texas entrepreneur Sada Cumber, a Muslim, as his special envoy.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
02-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I hope this aint the rashad we know :D

Supreme
02-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Obama must be a Muslim! I reckon he's been a closet Muslim all along! In fact, he's bin Laden in diguise!

*End of Fundamentalist nonsense rant*

I'm pleased Obama is trying to making amends with the Islamic world. Better relationships with mutual cooperation is truly the only way Islamic terrorism is going to stop. Well, most of it, anyway.

سيف الله
02-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Salaam

Seems little more than a PR excercise. Muslims given the past history shouldnt fall for the flowery rhetoric.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
heavenlyspot
02-17-2010, 02:59 AM
I don't hate Obama and I don't think it's right for anybody to, but it's hard for me to understand those "Mulsims for Obama".

Just my opinion though!

Beardo
02-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Oh. Well, I better get packing then...

Life_Is_Short
02-17-2010, 04:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
He touched on the plan to remove all U.S. combat troops from Iraq by the end of August, and his administration's efforts to return Israelis and Palestinians to the negotiating table to jump-start stalled peace talks.
It's about time. Let's see what happens. :exhausted

SMA89
02-17-2010, 04:42 AM
I support Obama :)

heavenlyspot
02-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Obama recently sent 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan.

Not unheard of for a US president to do... but why make false promises in the beginning to end the war? It just misleads people.

Torture still hasn't been banned either (which is specifically used against 'terrorist suspects', however illigal to use on criminals), even though it was also supposed to be.

The most heart-wrenching of all in my opinion, are our Muslim brothers in Guantanamo Bay. Obama promised to shut down Gitmo and give them fair trials and the opportunity to defend themselves in court.

nocturnal
02-19-2010, 11:47 PM
He doesn't need to appoint a Hafiz to realise that the relentless Muslim hostility to the US is generated primarily due to its foreign policy, especially it's policy on the occuaption of Palestine.

Nothing can change, no advisers can bring about a wholesale paradigm shift in the mindsets of millions of Muslims no matter what the resources deployed until there is an unconditional termination of aid to the diabolical Israeli government and its murderous rulers.

He talks a big game with respect to relations with the Muslim world, but does the opposite. If he is serious about mending relations, let him gather the courage to take the decisions that he knows would genuinely bring about change in relations with the Muslim world and begin by controlling the raging brutes that are occupying Palestine and at least lift the embargo on Gaza.

Obama is no idiot, he knows this very well, and he also knows that 9/11 happened directly as a result of grievances of that very same policy. The unquestionable truth is that he is in thrall of the Zionist lobby in the US, and is probably being told that he cannot hope to retain office for a second term if he alienates the Jewsih electorate. On top of that, all his leading advisers from Clinton to Rahm Emmanuel are zionist-sympathisers, together with Republicans who are as good as Likud in all but name,

aadil77
02-19-2010, 11:54 PM
This Hafiz brother is gonna be used like a puppet to win support for america, the same way obama bin laden got all the stupid egyptians cheering for him when he quoted from the quran in his speech.

People in our Ummah need to wake up

aadil77
02-19-2010, 11:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by heavenlyspot
I don't hate Obama and I don't think it's right for anybody to, but it's hard for me to understand those "Mulsims for Obama".

Just my opinion though!
why not? You should hate everyone who has the blood of muslims on their hands, he's sent 30,000 extra troops to kill our brothers, he's an enemy of islam

Supreme
02-20-2010, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
This Hafiz brother is gonna be used like a puppet to win support for america, the same way obama bin laden got all the stupid egyptians cheering for him when he quoted from the quran in his speech.

People in our Ummah need to wake up
How funny.

Muslim complain that Obama reading the Quran is a bad things. Conservatives in America complain that it is too Muslim and un American.

The guy simply can't win!

As a liberal, I am a proud Obama supporter. He hasn't done much (**** US system of government and democracy with everything he wants to do having to go through Congress), but I really like the man. He has a lot of potential, to change not just America, but the world.

aadil77
02-20-2010, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
How funny.

Muslim complain that Obama reading the Quran is a bad things
I'm happy for him that he's been readin the quran, but it makes no sense to mention verses from the quran in a speech when he doesn't abide by the laws we have.

He should have read the verses where we're told not to befriend non-muslims who wage war against us

Supreme
02-20-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm happy for him that he's been readin the quran, but it makes no sense to mention verses from the quran in a speech when he doesn't abide by the laws we have.

He should have read the verses where we're told not to befriend non-muslims who wage war against us
Would you rather he didn't read it at all, and stayed completely oblivious to it? How on Earth do you expect things to change then?

aadil77
02-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Would you rather he didn't read it at all, and stayed completely oblivious to it? How on Earth do you expect things to change then?
lol are you serious?

Here's how it goes, you stop messin with us, get the hell out of our countries, then we can have talks of peace. Thats how it is in islam, its good to keep good relations with other countries if there is peace between them, but not when we're currently being invaded, murdered, raped etc.

Should make sense, I feel stupid for posting this, I would have thought it is obvious how to get 'things to change', but clearly some people are ignorant of facts

Supreme
02-20-2010, 12:23 AM
lol are you serious?

Here's how it goes, you stop messin with us, get the hell out of our countries, then we can have talks of peace. Thats how it is in islam, its good to keep good relations with other countries if there is peace between them, but not when we're currently being invaded, murdered, raped etc.

Should make sense, I feel stupid for posting this, I would have thought it is obvious how to get 'things to change', but clearly some people are ignorant of facts
So wait, Obama's announced a deadline for Iraq withdrawals. He is slowly returning jurisdiction of Afghanistan over the the Afghan government. He reads a bit of the Quran. And he still can't win?

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure why you're still so hostile.

Oh well, he can't win anyway. There's just no pleasing some people...

nocturnal
02-20-2010, 12:28 AM
I think Obama, given the constraints (ideological) rigidly placed on him, is in a bit of a tight squeeze. There's only so much he can do, that is, if he is to retain office and poll ratings.

The Republicans and their supporters in the Southern States will pounce mercilessly on anything that Obama does that we could percieve as reaching out, to be appeasement. They did the same thing when Obama scrapped the Bush era missile defense system in Poland and the Czech republic, and will probably do the same with matters like Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran.

heavenlyspot
02-20-2010, 03:57 AM
why not? You should hate everyone who has the blood of muslims on their hands, he's sent 30,000 extra troops to kill our brothers, he's an enemy of islam
You're right....... He did send 30 000 more troops (only after mentioning that the war there would have supposedly ended), as I mentioned in my second post. I am very much against Obama and the US government in general, which has never been sympathetic toward the Muslim world.

As for hating though, I believe the US's agenda is controlled and enforced by a larger head organization, such as the Freemasons. I regard presidents as just representatives or puppets who deliver their message. So it's the controlling people on top who I dislike more.

It's just that there are so many of these "Muslims for Obama" who are willing to go against their own Muslim brothers and sisters just to defend him.. even I've experienced this unfortunately. So I like to persuade these Muslims to know the truth by demonstrating Obama's lies through proof... because when these 'Muslims for Obama' hear you say 'I hate him' over and over it's not enough to convince them :-(

transition?
02-20-2010, 05:36 AM
How funny.

Muslim complain that Obama reading the Quran is a bad things. Conservatives in America complain that it is too Muslim and un American.

The guy simply can't win!

As a liberal, I am a proud Obama supporter. He hasn't done much (**** US system of government and democracy with everything he wants to do having to go through Congress), but I really like the man. He has a lot of potential, to change not just America, but the world.
:sl:

Of course, he can't win, he's not choosing an appropriate side. Therefore, he's losing at both ends.

There is a serious dilemma the Muslim in America needs to recognize. There is no state (Islamic State) where we can follow the religion as best as possible.

Muslims need to wake up and see that there is an issue with living in a secular country if they wish to complete all their fard [aka living under Islamic rule and implementing Islamic rule over themselves so they follow Allah's Commands efficiently].
Right now, Muslims in Muslim countries are working to bring Muslim leaders to supporting a khilafah. Thus, it will create a safe haven for Muslims. Because it is an obligation for the Muslim Ummah to migrate to the Islamic lands (I say Islamic, not Muslim majority).

What Muslims need to realize, American standards are not enough to live under to fulfill the requirements of a Muslim.

Obama/Congress has let groups, which stand for the establishment of the Khilifah through Muslim leaders. So Muslims who wish to follow Islamic rule can seek safety there. But at the same time, the government pressures the Muslim governments to be more secular, at the cost of Islam and the wishes of Muslims.

Truth is we'll always be compromising something living without a khilafah in a land with a different system. Obama is supporting tolerance but sooner or later, it'll tip one way or the other. Or the Muslim will have to compromise themselves.

We may not agree with his views, but Muslim are trying to work with Obama but alas, the different forces within the government are tight on him, plus there are different agendas in the government. (one of them is to change Islam). It's not really about his character, it's about what he can do as a leader. There are restrictions but Islam honors civility and certain amount of cooperation.

aadil77
02-20-2010, 09:12 AM
So wait, Obama's announced a deadline for Iraq withdrawals. He is slowly returning jurisdiction of Afghanistan over the the Afghan government. He reads a bit of the Quran. And he still can't win?

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure why you're still so hostile.

Oh well, he can't win anyway. There's just no pleasing some people...
Words and actions are completely different things, when he does finally withdraw troops, like he was meant to withdraw muslims from gitmo then it will be time for talks

Cabdullahi
02-20-2010, 09:56 AM
these Politicians are using very clever tactics on one hand their stroking our heads and smiling at us and on the other its the same old same more troops more bloodshed :(

I hope these Muslims who work alongside the American government are not Muslim uncle tom's but its highly unlikely that they're not

heavenlyspot
02-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Any advisor to the United States government is only their 'advisor' because they have the same vision: to fulfill the higher agenda.

There is currently a US military base in every Muslim/Arab country that has oil. Any nation that doesn't want to comply with this, will be marginalized and isolated by the international community (for example, Iran).

People like the user 'Supreme' cannot understand this, especially when they don't have close ties with people living half way across the world who are suffering at the brutality of the American government, with literally no means of protecting themselves. For example, the Palestinians under illigal Israeli rule.

It is for this very reason that the Palestinian people will always be my heroes.

Uthman
02-20-2010, 01:28 PM
:salamext:

format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
Because it is an obligation for the Muslim Ummah to migrate to the Islamic lands (I say Islamic, not Muslim majority).
Sister, may I please direct you to this article by Sheikh Abu Eesa Niamatullah.

aadil77
02-20-2010, 09:35 PM

JazakhAllah for the article, but I don't feel the brother covers all the reasons for hijrah; not being able to practise your deen is a the main one, fitna is huge one, but he doesn't mention the fact that your country of residence might be at war with muslims

transition?
02-22-2010, 07:37 AM
JazakhAllah for the article, but I don't feel the brother covers all the reasons for hijrah; not being able to practise your deen is a the main one, fitna is huge one, but he doesn't mention the fact that your country of residence might be at war with muslims

^^^ I agree with the brother above. It's not as comprehensive.

It does not address the obligation we have to other Muslims in our Ummah, fard obligations of the Ummah, as opposed to individual fards and our own safety.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.