/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why the Beard/Hijaab?

Beardo
02-14-2010, 06:41 PM
What do you say when someone asks you why you have a beard or wear Hijaab? :X

I was just thinking how I should answer if someone asks me. I want a neutral yet appealing response. I don't want to say something rude and stupid like "Cuz I'm modest and you're not!"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raaina
02-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Say because i'm smart and you're not :D

Alpha Dude
02-14-2010, 06:46 PM

I was just thinking how I should answer if someone asks me.
You can say: 'Although on occasion I wear hijab, I'm not really a queer'.

Beardo
02-14-2010, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
You can say: 'Although on occasion I wear hijab, I'm not really a queer.'
I just don't have the courage to wear Hijaab to school yet... I stick to my beard. :hmm:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
heavenlyspot
02-14-2010, 10:42 PM
I always thought that brothers would have an easier time answering about their beard than sisters with the hijab :-)

For instance, I would tell people that a beard is a natural part of being male. Rather shaving it off seems more strange, it also takes more of an effort too I'm assuming?

In an excerpt from one of Zakir Naik's lectures, he mentions the scientifically proven benefits of having a beard vs. not having one.

tw009
02-15-2010, 01:57 AM
I haven't been asked that question yet, but this girl once asked me do I have to wear the hijab at home as well lol

SweetCherryPie
02-15-2010, 03:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by heavenlyspot
In an excerpt from one of Zakir Naik's lectures, he mentions the scientifically proven benefits of having a beard vs. not having one.
What are the benefits?

Donia
02-15-2010, 03:50 AM
What do you say when someone asks you why you have a beard or wear Hijaab?
The initial response I give is "Because I am Muslim." That is usually followed by an "oh" or "okay". I don't think I've had anyone inquire any further yet.

:sl:

Ummu Sufyaan
02-15-2010, 04:53 AM
1. its my religion
2. i like to
3. we just cover to preserve our modesty.

i guess if you were a brother growing a beard you could say: because i want to look like a lion

Beardo
02-15-2010, 04:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by heavenlyspot
I always thought that brothers would have an easier time answering about their beard than sisters with the hijab :-)

For instance, I would tell people that a beard is a natural part of being male. Rather shaving it off seems more strange, it also takes more of an effort too I'm assuming?

Yeah, I agree. Beard's easier than the Hijaab.

@ Umm Shaheed: Looking like a lion lol. Someone suggested I say "because I'm a man."

Allahu Alam X:

Yusuf Saeed
02-15-2010, 05:02 AM

Unfortunately I don't have a big and long beard yet as it simply doesn't grow so much yet but still I've been asked at school that why do I grow a beard.

I've said that I do it for religious reasons.
And when one guy asked that why is it necessary in my religion (or something like that) then I said it's to differ from others (by "others" I meant the "disbelievers" but for some reason I didn't use this word when explaining to him).
Another way to explain would be that the beard acts as a tool of being more modest in appearance.

But as it has already been mentioned here it is surely a lot easier for guys to explain a beard than it is for sisters to explain why they cover their hair.

Somaiyah
02-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Assalamo alaykom,

List up shortly the small reasons that made you grow beard / take on hijab. As for me I've gotten the question why I have hijab hundreds of times, everytime I answer: Because that's what I believe Allah swt wants me to.
As simple as that.

cat eyes
02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Why do some men not grow beards?

KittenLover
02-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Cos we believe this is the natural way god made man in his original creation. I'm guessing Adam pbuh had a beard also is that correct or not? beard is from the fitra, like shaving arm pits and other area's, that's the way Adam was originally made I think.

Life_Is_Short
02-19-2010, 11:45 PM
I was asked that question onces by a non-muslim sister. She took the liberty to answer it herself too by saying "because you're forced to". So i said "of course not, we choose to" and then the lesson finished so i never had the chance to explain fully.

It's good she wanted to know. :Alhumdill

Sawdah
02-19-2010, 11:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Donia
The initial response I give is "Because I am Muslim." That is usually followed by an "oh" or "okay". I don't think I've had anyone inquire any further yet.

I tried that once, my muslim friend was next to me and heard ( she doesn't wear a hijab by the way) and she was like :mmokay:
I was like: Uh.. :l . it was very akward for me. She felt pretty offended.

SweetCherryPie
02-20-2010, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Donia

For those who do not wear a hijab, that makes them .. "Not Muslim" or not Muslim enough?

transition?
02-20-2010, 05:41 PM
I had an extremely hard time with this one, but a simple " Allah Commands us to do so and I am trying to follow my religion and my Lord to my best ability" And then if you have time, you can go over the benefits and usefulness of hijab/protecting haya.

Somaiyah
02-20-2010, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SweetCherryPie
For those who do not wear a hijab, that makes them .. "Not Muslim" or not Muslim enough?
They are Muslims too, but if you feel that a reason for having hijab/beard is that you are a Muslim then that's a normal way to answer for yourself, but not for millions of other Muslims' sake too.

Asiyah3
02-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Responding "Because I am a muslim" is a right response. A muslim is someone who submits himself to the will of his Creator. You wear the hijab because you submit to His commands and that is what Islam means - submitting to the will of the Lord of the Worlds.

No, it doesn't make the people less muslims, but their acts and deeds yes.

heavenlyspot
02-21-2010, 03:29 AM
I think the person was just answering the question @ the beginning of the thread from their point of view. Girls who wear the hijab are asked that question a lot.

Italianguy
02-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Just tell them a beard is a great place to store stuff;D I had a really lond beard once:embarrass I got bored one day and took my wifes straightening iron to it:embarrass...........she made me shave it off:raging:

AlbanianMuslim
02-21-2010, 05:32 AM
I usually make light of it and say I enjoy the attention. . ha ha

AlbanianMuslim
02-21-2010, 05:33 AM
If you have a beard, please keep it clean. I cant stand people who grow out beards and dont maintain them properly.

SweetCherryPie
02-21-2010, 08:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
No, it doesn't make the people less muslims, but their acts and deeds yes.
I believe that is between Allah and the person. Just my opinion.

I don't really care what others think of me. I really don't. I don't wear a hijab and people can say whatever they want about me :)

Darth Ultor
02-21-2010, 12:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

I was just thinking how I should answer if someone asks me. I want a neutral yet appealing response. I don't want to say something rude and stupid like "Cuz I'm modest and you're not!"
Explain that it is not a symbol of oppression created by the Taliban or the Saudi Royals, which I think is the attitude of many Americans. Just say that this is how you show modesty in your culture, and that modesty is important in Islam.

In Judaism, we keep our heads covered too. The men from a young age, and the women after they are married. Unmarried women style their hair in way that is tied behind them, except at formal occasions. Only little girls let their hair flow.

Italianguy
02-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I believe that is between Allah and the person. Just my opinion.

I don't really care what others think of me. I really don't. I don't wear a hijab and people can say whatever they want about me :)
The force is strong in this one!

Sawdah
02-21-2010, 10:06 PM
If I was asked that question again, inshaAllah I would response with : Because the hijab is my badge of faith, where ever I go I like to show everyone that I'm a muslim and to always remind myself that I am a muslim and that I'm proud to be one.

(Uh, not really sure, but I think I would say something like that...) :/

AlbanianMuslim
02-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Could we please refrain from judging or insulting people who dont wear hijab? It isnt your job to do that. You shouldnt even THINK bad thought of muslimahs who dont wear hijab. I know many muslimahs who dont wear it yet they follow every other rule and pray and respect their parents.
At the same time, I know some hijabi sisters who wear the hijab and preach about how pious they are for wearing it and look down on those who dont, yet behind the scenes they commit sin. I teach part time at the islamic school (praying for a full time position inshallah) and I caught one of my students, who wears the hijab mind you, and she was with a muslim brother...in a very comprising situation might I add.

Only Allah swt can judge who is a good muslim and who is more "muslim" than the other person. Those who feel they can judge or say this person or that person is muslim and the other isnt because maybe he doesnt have a beard, or she doesnt wear hijab, well you are committing a mighty major sin by doing so.

Salahudeen
02-22-2010, 02:11 AM
As my beautifull brother Murtaza Khan says in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nAoVLej8TE

"when we begin to despise over Muslim's, look down upon other Muslim's then what teachings are you holding to? you are only holding to the teachings of shayttan (Iblis)

when you begin to look at another sister and say "well you don't wear the hijaab properly or you don't wear the thobe correctly there's something deficient in you" yes there may be something deificient in her or a man who doesn't wear the thobe correctly or do certain actions correctly, there may be something externally deficient about that individual, we shouldn't play upon that, we shouldn't make a mockery of them, we should strengthen them not weaken them.

there may be words of wisdom the person speaks, there may be skill and welfare, dua supplication actions that they have that we can learn from.

give them sincere advice that "this action your doing is against the sunnah of the prophet pbuh".

check the link out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nAoVLej8TE

SweetCherryPie
02-22-2010, 04:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
The force is strong in this one!
Haha. I was told the same thing a few times, yes :)

format_quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMuslim
Could we please refrain from judging or insulting people who dont wear hijab? It isnt your job to do that. You shouldnt even THINK bad thought of muslimahs who dont wear hijab. I know many muslimahs who dont wear it yet they follow every other rule and pray and respect their parents.
At the same time, I know some hijabi sisters who wear the hijab and preach about how pious they are for wearing it and look down on those who dont, yet behind the scenes they commit sin. I teach part time at the islamic school (praying for a full time position inshallah) and I caught one of my students, who wears the hijab mind you, and she was with a muslim brother...in a very comprising situation might I add.

Only Allah swt can judge who is a good muslim and who is more "muslim" than the other person. Those who feel they can judge or say this person or that person is muslim and the other isnt because maybe he doesnt have a beard, or she doesnt wear hijab, well you are committing a mighty major sin by doing so.
Thank you for this post, Albanian Muslim. You put it succinctly. In order to think or feel this way, it takes maturity.

Darth Ultor
02-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Haha. I was told the same thing a few times, yes :).
You have been taught well, young Padawan.

Insaanah
02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

Rather than saying that one doesn't wear hijaab and couldn't care less about what people say, one should say,"I don't unfortunately wear hijaab at the moment, but I hope inshaAllah one day I will. I know that as a Muslim I have to wear it, and I hope that Allah will help me and give me the strength and courage to do so. I also understand the fact that my brothers and sisters will want to advise me and give me sincere naseehah and advice about the hijaab, and I am thankful for that. May Allah reward them. I ask them to pray that Allah helps me wear hijaab and follow His and his rasool's :saws: commands."

Assalamau alaikum

SweetCherryPie
02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
True, one can say that or choose to say how I said it.

People should just respect others for having their own thoughts.

I accept advice/nasihat and I know when I am ready, this forum is where I will come to for advice and insights. It's funny that people are treated somewhat differently or looked at differently for having a different mindset.

Oh well, this is life and no one's perfect.

Salahudeen
02-22-2010, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan
Assalaamu alaikum,

Rather than saying that one doesn't wear hijaab and couldn't care less about what people say, one should say,"I don't unfortunately wear hijaab at the moment, but I hope inshaAllah one day I will. I know that as a Muslim I have to wear it, and I hope that Allah will help me and give me the strength and courage to do so. I also understand the fact that my brothers and sisters will want to advise me and give me sincere naseehah and advice about the hijaab, and I am thankful for that. May Allah reward them. I ask them to pray that Allah helps me wear hijaab and follow His and his rasool's :saws: commands."

Assalamau alaikum
This is a great!! answer I think, it acknowledges the person's own shortcomings with regards to the commandments of his Lord, and praises those who try to advise him/her out of love.

When I give some 1 advice to grow beard it's only because I care for them and want to see them raised upon the day of judgement upon the sunnah.

can you imagine dying in such a state and then being raised up like that and meeting the messenger of Allah and being away from his sunnah.

cat eyes
02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
a person who covers from head to toe might be hiding a deeper and dark secret

And a person who dose not cover might not sin at all and follow every command

as i sometimes say ''Allah knows whats in the heart''

you know alot of people judge those who dont dress like a muslim and i would say to those people well from my own experience i found that some girls who dressed like a muslimah had a very ignorant attitude, they thought that they had a right to judge others just because they did not wear the niqaab and they were calling others who were not wearing the niqaab ''modern muslims'' and tempting the men outside

I Found this sickning to hear that how they can dress like muslim and then talk so cheap about there sister is beyond me.. of course i did not say anything and kept my mouth closed.. why do we feel we have a right to judge others and put a label on them? but i guess i did not want to fight over it imsad

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.