/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Karate and Belts

جوري
02-16-2010, 11:56 PM
:sl:

can folks who take Karate lessons or masters of their craft (sensei) pls give me a quick introduction about what to expect, also the different types of belts, I have googled and there is quite a bit and they differ from region to region?

also if you can shed some light in which type of martial arts is best?

judo, tai chi, tae kwon do etc etc.

Jazakoum Allah khyran

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dagless
02-17-2010, 12:04 AM
It depends on where you will be learning it and with what purpose. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Most MMA fighters seem to start with Jujitsu and then build upon it. But then again MMA itself is limited because it has rules.
Whichever one you choose its bound to be a benefit because you'll be learning new things, gaining strength, getting exercise, and discipline.

جوري
02-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks.. can you tell me a bit about the belt system?

Dagless
02-17-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure of the origins (google?) but when you learn enough to be promoted you'll get a new belt (or some dye). The thing is when I was a kid the tests for progress were simply learning the moves and performing them in a sequence (kata). My friend reached black when he was like 12. This is why I'm dubious about some karate schools. Imo you need some kind of sparring or full contact, otherwise how can you know you'll cut it? Giving a black belt to a kid is a joke (this is IMO, because I'm sure some people are against sparring and full contact).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mikayeel
02-17-2010, 12:14 AM
:sl:

I have done karate as a little kid, in both Sudan and Holland .Unless you actually go to japan to do karate (or a properr karate school) expect some imitation of what the real karate should be like. I found it to be slow and repetitive and it was never exciting enough, but thats again my opinion.
I think its graded like this if i can remember correctly, white-yellow-orange-green-blue-brown-black there are different types of black belts.

I have done thaiboxing ever since, and that on the other hand is everything a martial art sport should be like. Aggressive, challenging and a real contact sport! There never used to be day in which i wasnt fulllyyy tired after a thaibox training. Thaibox is also easier to apply in real life when it comes to self defense!

جوري
02-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Jazakoum Allah khyran..

the school I am about to attend is internationally renowned supposedly.. I am not looking to be a master.. I just only like swimming and I gave that up for a few reasons..
winter, not feeling well amongst others..
but I like exercise that is structured and with a trainer, so I thought this would be a good fit for me.. I am going to have an introductory lesson this saturday insha'Allah.. just wanted to know what to expect.. I am under no obligation to join but I'd like to go in with some idea of what to expect and what people usually enjoy and recommend more than anything else.. I think it beats a treadmill but that is my personal opinion.. I know some folks get a high out of running hard and going nowhere ;D

Supreme
02-17-2010, 01:09 AM
Gossamer, I think there are slight variations, but my karate belt system goes as so:

White
Red
Yellow
Orange
Purple
Green
Blue
Brown
Brown
Brown
Black

I have done judo and now I'm doing karate, although I think karate is by far the superior martial art. It's more pratical and realistic, and whereas judo is all about throws and locks (which requires strength), karate is about striking with the fists and legs and is better for self defense and fighting in general and requires speed more that strength. Like, there's this girl at my karate club, and whilst I'm easily stronger that her, whenever we fight, she always wins because she is simply faster (and she's brown belt and I'm orange).

It's incredibly fun, and even though it's tend to be thought of for males because of its aggression, the majorty of my club is female, so it is just as a much a woman's sport. It is physically demanding, we have one and half hour sessions, my advice is to bring a bottle of water, we just spend half the lesson working out doing press ups and stretches.

جوري
02-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks supreme I appreciate it..

Cabdullahi
02-26-2010, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Jazakoum Allah khyran..

the school I am about to attend is internationally renowned supposedly.. I am not looking to be a master.. I just only like swimming and I gave that up for a few reasons..
winter, not feeling well amongst others..
but I like exercise that is structured and with a trainer, so I thought this would be a good fit for me.. I am going to have an introductory lesson this saturday insha'Allah.. just wanted to know what to expect.. I am under no obligation to join but I'd like to go in with some idea of what to expect and what people usually enjoy and recommend more than anything else.. I think it beats a treadmill but that is my personal opinion.. I know some folks get a high out of running hard and going nowhere ;D

KARATE ? :eek: sister zaghloula is not playing around!!......i did karate when i was about 10 and if i remember correctly you start of with a white belt and then you get yellow green ,purple and so on the last two belts are brown and black something like that.........but what i can assure you is you'll enjoy it inshaAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.