/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cairo

ayan333
02-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Salamu Alaykum

I'm going to Egypt in a few months and although I'm going for school, I would love to get my share of site seeing and meringue new people.
I'm staying in October city but I understand that it is 'a new suburb/city' so I'm worried I won't have places to tour and places to go InshALLAH.

Do you know of the city?
What are the best places to go?

Wasalamu alaykum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SMA89
02-17-2010, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333
Salamu Alaykum

I'm going to Egypt in a few months and although I'm going for school, I would love to get my share of site seeing and meringue new people.
I'm staying in October city but I understand that it is 'a new suburb/city' so I'm worried I won't have places to tour and places to go InshALLAH.

Do you know of the city?
What are the best places to go?

Wasalamu alaykum
You are gonna love it. I lived in Egypt for 7 years but it was when I was young.
Here is what I found on a site:

Top 10 attractions of Egypt are:

1. PYRAMIDS:
There are more than 80 pyramids in Egypt which were built mostly between 2600 BC and 1500 BC and all are situated close to the Nile river. After the ruler died (or other prominent royal figures like queens), their bodies were wrapped and preserved as a mummy, and placed in the Pyramid. The most popular pyramids are the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx: An estimated 20,000 to 30,000 workers built the Pyramids at Giza over 80 years. Giza also has the largest pyramid also known as "Great Pyramid" which rises an amazing 481 feet.

2. CAIRO:
It is the capital of Egypt. Popular attractions of Cairo include:
a) Khan al-Khalili market: Khan al-Khalili is one of the largest markets in the world which attracts both local's and international tourists. This is a great place to but exotic perfume bottles, Arabic clothing and other souvenirs.
b) Egyptian Museum of Antiquities: It have over hundred thousand artifacts in 107 halls. The most popular attraction is the Tutankhamun Gallery.
c) Other attractions are Pyramids of Giza (mentioned above) and Old Cairo.

3. ABU SIMBEL:
It was carved out of sandstone cliffs high above the River Nile. The most famous attraction are the four colossal 20m-high statues of Ramses II guarding the entrance. When the waters of Lake Nasser to rise, UNESCO relocated them to a high ground between 1964 and 1968.

4.KARNAK TEMPLES:
It is a huge complex comprising of three main temples and many smaller ones, most famous among them is the Temple of Amun. It is estimated that they were built in a time span of 1300 years.

5: LUXOR TEMPLE:
The modern town of Luxor is the site of the famous city of Thebes,( or the city of a hundred gates). A row of sphinxes line the entrance to Karnak Temple. The most famous section of these temples is a huge all called the Great Hypostyle Hall.

6: SIWA OASIS:

The area is famous for its dates and olives, and is one of the most beautiful landscapes and springs in Egypt. It was the most inaccessible oasis until recently. It lies 60 feed below sea level.

7: NUBIAN MUSEUM OF ASWAN:
It is designed to house the fantastic collection items unearthed from the archaeological excavations during the Nubia Campaign.

8. VALLEY OF THE KINGS:

The Valley of the Kings is located on the West Bank of the River Nile in Thebes. There are 62 tombs in the valley. It has two components - the East Valley and the West Valley. It is the East Valley which most tourists visit and in which most of the tombs of the New Kingdom Pharaohs can be found.

9: ALEXANDRIA:

Best places to see are - Pompey's Pillar,Bibliotheca Alexandria, Alexandria National Museum, King Farouk Palace and the Roman Amphitheater.

10: SHARM EL SHEIKH:
Best places to see are - Sinai Mountain, Na'ama Bay,Tiran Island, Terrazzina Beach and White Lagoon.
Other attractions of Egypt include the White Desert, Hurghada and Felucca on the Nile.

islamlover_girl
02-20-2010, 01:06 AM
There are many other interesting places in cairo
Old mosques like Husein and Sultan Hassan and otheres,river Nile and having a trip with a boat there,muesimes if you are interested in hestory,cairo tour,old palaces which is really beautiful like Bit El Sehimi,.........can`t write every thing here :)
you will like it in shaa Allah
also you will have a great companion in shaa Allah :shade: yes I am talking about myself :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.