/* */

PDA

View Full Version : NEW SURVEY: Do you believe Guru Nanak was a Muslim? (Plz take part)

Islam-Sikhism
02-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Asalaamu 'alaikum

We are in the process of insha'Allaah completing our latest article titled: Was Guru Nanak a Muslim?
In this regard, we have put up a survey on our site that we were hoping the brothers and sisters could participate in. This will provide an idea of the trends among Muslims on this issue.
Please be kind enough to take part and tell as many people as you know to insha'Allaah take part. Jazakumullaahu khair:

http://www.islam-sikhism.info/

wa salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
02-19-2010, 11:52 AM
No. Guru Nanak was not a Muslim. I really like that initiative of Da3wah to Sikhs.

Islam-Sikhism
02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
JazakAllaahu khairan for your reply and vote.

This may seem like a rhetorical question to some, but you'll be surprised to know that there are some Muslims who harbour this idea that Guru Nanak was either a Muslim, before his followers transformed him into a Hindu, or a Muslim who, for one reason or another, hid his Islaam.
We have received a number of questions from Muslims over the years asking us to cover this issue.

Anyway, we need for you to take part in this survey insha'Allaah and pass this on to as many people as you know so that some statistics can be put together for future reference.

May Allaah reward you all with good.

Wa salaam

Islam-Sikhism
02-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Jazakumullaahu khairan to all those brothers and sisters who have voted so far.
In a day we have the following stats collated to the question: Do you believe Guru Nanak was a Muslim?

Yes = 13%
No = 71%
Maybe = 14%
I don't know = 2%

BUT, we need to get more people voting.
REMEMBER: This could be the first statistical analysis attempted on this subject, so it will be a good precedence to set, insha'Allaah. Please let everyone know and get them to vote, if not for anything else then at least on this point.

wa salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
02-20-2010, 08:28 PM
The 'I don't know' button on the website isn't working. That might explain why there are only 2 votes for it.

The problem is that I found this out by pressing some of the other buttons which might have messed up the votes a little bit. :embarrass

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-20-2010, 08:33 PM
:sl:

I was told he was but now I'm even more confused than ever lol. So at this point I'd probably say "I don't know."

Yea that I don't know option doesn't work..

Islam-Sikhism
02-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Apologies.

External interference it seems! We're sorting that out now. Insha'Allaah it should be back up soon.

JazakAllaahu khairan for the heads up.

wa salaam

Cabdullahi
02-20-2010, 08:48 PM
i was told he was a very crafty fella who took bits of Hinduism and bits of Islam to come up with Sikhism

Allah knows best

m102313
02-20-2010, 09:08 PM
It doesn't really make a difference if Guru Nanak was a Muslim or not. It doesn't prove anything.

Islam-Sikhism
02-20-2010, 09:24 PM
The poll is back up alhamdulilaah.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please go ahead and vote.

Jazakumullaah khairan

wa salaam

CosmicPathos
02-20-2010, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
It doesn't really make a difference if Guru Nanak was a Muslim or not. It doesn't prove anything.
Who said the brother is doing the survey to prove anything? He is doing the survey to see how much misconceptions are present regarding Guru Nanak among people.

m102313
02-20-2010, 09:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
Who said the brother is doing the survey to prove anything? He is doing the survey to see how much misconceptions are present regarding Guru Nanak among people.
Surely there is point behind doing such things. I mean I see no point in that survey, what exactly is the brother trying to get at.

Islam-Sikhism
02-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Couldn't have put it better mad_scientist, Allaahu yubarak feek.

CosmicPathos
02-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Surely there is point behind doing such things. I mean I see no point in that survey, what exactly is the brother trying to get at.
you dont see any point because maybe you are blind? Such excuses do not strengthen your argument.

Islam-Sikhism
02-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Asalaamu 'alaikum,

Moabubaker, firstly, the obvious point of this survey (as is the case with any survey conducted) is to acquire a rough understanding of what people in the world hold to in terms of ideas, perceptions, prejudices, leanings, judgements, etc.
In regards to the question, it has been thrown out there, so to speak, in order to gauge people's perceptions vis-a-vis Guru Nanak's alleged Muslim identity.
Why are we doing this you might ask? Since the inception of our website in 2006, we have received almost a dozen emails from MUSLIMS sincerely inquiring into whether Guru Nanak was a Muslim (and asking us to clarify this to them). Moreover, our own research has shown that there are Muslims who hold that Guru Nanak was, in some respect, a Muslim.
Thus far, what the survey points to is a trend which suggests that the majority do not consider Nanak a Muslim. And yet there seems to be a combined percentage that seem unconvinced that Nanak was not a Muslim.

Wa salaam

m102313
02-20-2010, 10:05 PM
you dont see any point because maybe you are blind? Such excuses do not strengthen your argument.
Neither does yours, maybe you could've put together a constructive answer instead of just calling be 'blind'. I don't see how you reached to that conclusion.

waqas maqsood
02-21-2010, 01:19 AM
mad_scientist... U've got to chill bro.. Can't go out there calling someone 'blind'...

But anyway, back at the topic...

Is it true that Nanak was at Saudi Arabia (Mecca) at one point in his lifetime?

CosmicPathos
02-21-2010, 01:20 AM
Neither does yours, maybe you could've put together a constructive answer instead of just calling be 'blind'. I don't see how you reached to that conclusion.
Because you yourself that "you dont see the point." When someone does not see something, it could be:
1- His eyes are closed and is blind
2- There is nothing to see.

You have to prove that its not 1 in order to strengthen your contention that 2 is the case here with brother Islam-sikhism.

CosmicPathos
02-21-2010, 03:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by waqas maqsood
mad_scientist... U've got to chill bro.. Can't go out there calling someone 'blind'...

But anyway, back at the topic...

Is it true that Nanak was at Saudi Arabia (Mecca) at one point in his lifetime?
I appreciate your sincerity. But he cannot go around calling people's polls "pointless." can he? Especially when its such an amazing dawah project. I love this project because I can relate to it. My ancestors were Sikh and some of them were guided to Islam by Allah (swt), way back in time. Thats why I would not like irrational insults hurled at the project.

To realize the importance of this initiative, watch this video how a Sikh man is spreading lies about Allah (swt) and calling us Muhammadi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9Klxw5-Ok

_PakistaN_
02-21-2010, 04:31 AM
who is Guru Nanak?

CosmicPathos
02-21-2010, 05:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by _PakistaN_
who is Guru Nanak?
The founder of Sikhism. He most likely to used to be a Muslim but he later deviated and founded a new religion. He also said that there is no difference in a Muslim and a Hindu. The person who realizes there is no difference is a Sikh, according to Guru Nanak. A true human so to say.

waji
02-21-2010, 07:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by _PakistaN_
who is Guru Nanak?
Are you really Pakistani ? you really don't know why Sikhs from around the world visit Pakistan ??

well there will be suspicious about him being Muslim

CosmicPathos
02-21-2010, 08:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by waji
Are you really Pakistani ? you really don't know why Sikhs from around the world visit Pakistan ??

well there will be suspicious about him being Muslim
Yes, Guru Nanak was born in Sialkot, Pakistan, if I am not mistaken. Or I think he settled there.

Islam-Sikhism
02-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Asalaamu 'alaikum,

We've covered this topic in the forthcoming article.
As Sikhism does not have an authentication process for historiography similar to Islaam’s Sciences of Hadeeth, it is difficult to say how far the accounts of Nanak’s life are true and how much is folkloric embellishment. Hence, these stories are and should be examined at face value.
The fact is that if he did enter Makkah and partake in the Hajj ceremonies, he wasn't the first non-Muslim and he certainly wasn't the last.

The story itself has been mentioned in the Vaars of Bhai Gurdaas:

baabaa fir maakae gayaa neel basathr dhhaarae banavaaree||
aasaa haathh kithaab kaashh koojaa baa(n)g musaalaa dhhaaree||
bait(h)aa jaae maseeth vich jithhae haajee haaj gujaaree||
jaa(n) baabaa suthaa raath noo(n) vaal mehiraabae paa(n)e pasaaree||
jeevan maaree lath dhee kaerrhaa suthaa kur kuaaree||
lathaa(n) val khhudhaae dhae kiou(n)akar paeiaa hoe bajagaaree||
tta(n)go(n) pakarr ghaseettiaa firiaa maakaa kalaa dhikhaaree||
hoe hairaan karaen juhaaree ||aa||

Donning blue attire then Baba Nanak went to Mecca.
He held staff in his hand, pressed a book under his armpit, caught hold of a metal pot and mattress.
Now he sat in a mosque where the pilgrims (hajis) had gathered.
When Baba (Nanak) slept in the night spreading his legs towards the alcove of mosque at Kaba, the qazi named Jivan kicked him and asked who was this infidel enacting blasphemy.
Why this sinner is sleeping his legs spread towards God, Khuda.
Catching hold of the legs he lynched (Baba Nanak) and lo and behold the miracle, the whole of Mecca seemed to be revolving.
All got surprised and they all bowed.

Wa salaam

Rafeeq
02-21-2010, 11:09 AM
No. He was not muslim but founder of Sikhism, diversion from Hinduism.

PS: I could not Vote, perhaps, Votes are no more required, if else, pls. rectify.

Islam-Sikhism
02-21-2010, 11:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rafeeq
No. He was not muslim but founder of Sikhism, diversion from Hinduism.

PS: I could not Vote, perhaps, Votes are no more required, if else, pls. rectify.
On our website brother. We cannot post links but check our profile for the link.
JazakAllaahu khairan.

wa salaam

Asiyah3
02-21-2010, 11:59 AM
I haven't read about him much... Allah knows best.
:wa:

Islam-Sikhism
02-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I appreciate your sincerity. But he cannot go around calling people's polls "pointless." can he? Especially when its such an amazing dawah project. I love this project because I can relate to it. My ancestors were Sikh and some of them were guided to Islam by Allah (swt), way back in time. Thats why I would not like irrational insults hurled at the project.

To realize the importance of this initiative, watch this video how a Sikh man is spreading lies about Allah (swt) and calling us Muhammadi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9Klxw5-Ok
Just responded to this video and its nonsensical assertions!

Islam-Sikhism
02-21-2010, 12:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
I haven't read about him much... Allah knows best.
:wa:
Asalaamu 'alaikum, hope you've voted sister (on our website www.islam-sikhism.info)

Asiyah3
02-21-2010, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islam-Sikhism
Asalaamu 'alaikum, hope you've voted sister (on our website www.islam-sikhism.info)
Oh, I didn't know there was an "I don't know" option. Anyways now I've voted.

waji
02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes, Guru Nanak was born in Sialkot, Pakistan, if I am not mistaken. Or I think he settled there.
i know that he was born in Pakistan
but the place wasn't sialkot it was Nankana Sahib
it was named after him nankana sahib is between Lahore and Faisalabad city

Mehtab Singh
02-22-2010, 03:02 AM
LOL. So he was a Prophet. And Mirza Ghulam was a prophet of Allah too? And Yusuf Kazzab was a Prophet of Allah too? All these guys came after Guru Nanak, why should I believe in guru Nanak then.

LOL.
I take all my statements back. I was bored and wanted to chat and started it all LOL Guru Nanak (PBUH) was neither Muslim nor Hindu. He was born in Hindu family but did not accept Hinduism neither did he accept Islam. He praised both Allah and Ram equally in Guru Granth Sahib. You will know it all if you read it and you can find many sites online offering translation of full Granth.

Mehtab Singh
02-22-2010, 03:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Boy did you make a full 360! :skeleton:

You need 50 posts to become a full member. It seems far but...trust me it'll go pretty fast.
Thanks,
This is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in response to him being Muslim or Hindu:

I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu sacred shrines. I serve the One Lord, and not any other. I do not keep fasts, nor do I observe the month of Ramadaan. I serve only the One, who will protect me in the end.(Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, page 1136)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-22-2010, 03:23 AM
You're welcome...

I don't know whether he was Muslim or not only Allah knows really...I'm not going to bring my brain to down to explosionville thinking about it. I have more productive things to think about :skeleton:

ganesh177
02-22-2010, 04:26 AM
Its funny how people try to relate everyone to islam in their own funny ways. I read how kalki avatar of vishnu was claimed to be Muhammad. Same for lord krishna. And now claim for gurunanak ji being muslim.

CosmicPathos
02-22-2010, 07:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ganesh177
Its funny how people try to relate everyone to islam in their own funny ways. I read how kalki avatar of vishnu was claimed to be Muhammad. Same for lord krishna. And now claim for gurunanak ji being muslim.
So ganesh, do you worship Krishna? Or Kali?

ganesh177
02-22-2010, 07:44 AM
So ganesh, do you worship Krishna? Or Kali?
Its kalki, not kali. Kali is godess.
Being a hindu you are supposed to worship everyone, and everything in world. Its not that you pick your favourites.
Besides if you dont know, hinduism is monotheistic religion basically, and so many gods in hinduism are just different forms of divine power.

CosmicPathos
02-22-2010, 07:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ganesh177
Its kalki, not kali. Kali is godess.
Being a hindu you are supposed to worship everyone, and everything in world. Its not that you pick your favourites.
Besides if you dont know, hinduism is monotheistic religion basically, and so many gods in hinduism are just different forms of divine power.
I was talking about Kali goddess. Well, you have to choose a certain god. You can choose to worship everything but that is the philosophy spread by Vivikenanda whose teacher was Ramakrishna.

most Hindus have their preferred god. I know you have one major God Ishvar who created Maya and then within the womb of Maya was created Brahman and then Brahman created everything within himself.

No, Hinduism is not monotheistic religion. its panentheistic. Rabridranath Tagore of Brahmo Samaj argued that Hinduism is monotheistic and he rejected idol worship and he rejected Upanishads. As a child, he used to worship to Shiv linga.

ganesh177
02-22-2010, 08:15 AM
I was talking about Kali goddess. Well, you have to choose a certain god. You can choose to worship everything but that is the philosophy spread by Vivikenanda whose teacher was Ramakrishna.
Well, there are many temples in india and it cud be of shiva,ganesha,kali,krishna,rama. If we happen to visit the temples its irrelevant which god is it inside, basic thought is that you are there to connect to the divine power, and have some peace of mind. I can visit any temple. And in reality i hardly visit any temple. And i dont have any preferred god as such.

No, Hinduism is not monotheistic religion. its panentheistic. Rabridranath Tagore of Brahmo Samaj argued that Hinduism is monotheistic and he rejected idol worship and he rejected Upanishads.
EKAM SAD VIPRA BAHUDA VADANTI -- GOD(TRUTH) is one but sages call IT using various NAMES. (it is still an aspect of Truth)

Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh(Shiv) are different aspects/functions/forms/Names of the same Brahman (SaT-Chit-Ananda). The same Brahman manifested into different powers.

Hinduism believes that there are infinite ways to reach the same GOD. Some follow Bhakti Marg, some Jnana Marg and others follow different vedantic schools. It is like going from point A to point B. You can walk and still you will get there or you can take a car and will get there as well but faster!

ganesh177
02-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Mad scientist, i think we are hijacking this thread. We can talk about hinduism in seperate thread, lets not ruin this thread.
P.S : There shud be edit button to edit the respective posts of the member.

Abdul Qadir
02-22-2010, 08:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islam-Sikhism
Asalaamu 'alaikum

We are in the process of insha'Allaah completing our latest article titled: Was Guru Nanak a Muslim?
In this regard, we have put up a survey on our site that we were hoping the brothers and sisters could participate in. This will provide an idea of the trends among Muslims on this issue.
Please be kind enough to take part and tell as many people as you know to insha'Allaah take part. Jazakumullaahu khair:

http://www.islam-sikhism.info/

wa salaam
bro, i would like to take this opportunity to clarify something. Sikh was a religion started to eradicate muslims from india right? the turbans and the hair are symbols of Sikh in a sense that they will only shave, cut their hair and remove their turbans once islam is totally annihilated...how true is this?

Mehtab Singh
02-22-2010, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Qadir
bro, i would like to take this opportunity to clarify something. Sikh was a religion started to eradicate muslims from india right? the turbans and the hair are symbols of Sikh in a sense that they will only shave, cut their hair and remove their turbans once islam is totally annihilated...how true is this?
No, It was to eradicate the oppression by Muslim rulers of that time.

SQUID
02-22-2010, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mehtab Singh
No, It was to eradicate the oppression by Muslim rulers of that time.
:statisfie ...........

SQUID
02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
A DOCUMENTARY abt Nankana sahib

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTeQc5m8Fq0

Binyamine
02-22-2010, 04:38 PM
He is not a muslims...

Mohamed_Sadiq
02-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Never heard of it, totally wrong!

Islam-Sikhism
03-02-2010, 07:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Qadir
Asalaamu 'alaikum,

It was not started to eradicate the belief of the Muslims per se, but to eradicate the belief of the Muslims AND Hindus. Guru Nanak rejected the religious systems of both religions and wanted to replace it with his idea of universal brotherhood and equality for all under his notion of religion and practice. To achieve this, he spent around 25 years preaching his message throughout Hindustan and to places as far wide as Tibet and the Middle East (11 years). However, as we shall show in our forthcoming article - insha'Allaah on the militant side adopted by the Sikhs - that this could only really be achieved through the use of force.

As to your second question, then, as far as we know, that is totally fictitious and has no basis in their belief, Allaahu 'alam.

As a closure to this thread, we've published the article for this survey: Was Guru Nanak a Muslim?

Again, jazakumullaahu khairan to all those who participated in the poll.

Wa salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.