/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Clothing

ALICENA
02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
salam bros and sisters

i am 18 years old and i am a designer..i make all kind of graphic art for t-shirts etc and i was wondering if the idea of having like

"La ilaha illa Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah"

on a shirt is right?..can i do that?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
02-20-2010, 10:02 PM
:salamext:

You should not make these shirts for a number of reasons.

1. The name of Allah is not meant for display purposes, even pictures of the verses are Qur'an should not be hung up on the walls.
  2. People will go to the toilet when answering the call of nature and one cannot take the name of Allah to such a place.
  3. These shirts will get dirty, will be thrown on the floor and washed among other dirty clothes and this is not befitting for the name of Allah.

I can't think of anything else at the moment but I urge you not to do this type of printing. You should write other things instead that have meaningful messages, perhaps some Arabic proverbs or idioms that do not mention the name of Allah will be more fruitful for your business.

format_quote Originally Posted by ALICENA
salam bros and sisters

i am 18 years old and i am a designer..i make all kind of graphic art for t-shirts etc and i was wondering if the idea of having like

"La ilaha illa Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah"

on a shirt is right?..can i do that?

AlbanianMuslim
02-21-2010, 05:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif

[*]The name of Allah is not meant for display purposes, even pictures of the verses are Qur'an should not be hung up on the walls.
Are you sure? Can you back that up? Just asking because I have never heard that and Ive seen verses of the koran done in beautiful caligraphy hung up in muslims homes as well as schools.

CosmicPathos
02-21-2010, 05:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMuslim
Are you sure? Can you back that up? Just asking because I have never heard that and Ive seen verses of the koran done in beautiful caligraphy hung up in muslims homes as well as schools.
I also disagree with point 1. Umar (ra) wrote down Quranic verse on a piece of paper and told the governor to throw it into the empty Nile river. Was Umar (ra) disrespecting the words of Allah? No.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AlbanianMuslim
02-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Yes I also thought of that, and several other instances. I believe that photographs are not permitted on walls, images of animals and people etc. But flowers and verses of the koran are. Nature--as in plants are as well. In my house we have paintings of nature and other such things as well as each bedroom has Quranic verses.
I have one that is for helping to deal with nightmares, and it really does help. I used to have nightmares for years until I hung that in my room and would read it every night before bed.

Somaiyah
02-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Assalamo alaykom,

If you are a designer then it's better to create things with islamic messages that won't follow into the bathroom and don't need to be washed. For example messages and words and sentences made on fabrics to put on the wall. But personally, I don't believe a nonMuslim shall create such islamic things. One thing is to have islamic clothes that women and men can wear, but not with the messages on too. But I don't know if you're a Muslim or not so.

And also I don't believe that it's haram to put on verses of the Quran or Allah's swt name on the wall, don't Islam say that all kinds of reminders of Islam are good?

MMohammed
02-21-2010, 05:49 PM
I highly agree with Abdul Lateef.I would like to thank him for the points he have given as I also am a bit related to designing but I do not do it for shirts.

Beardo
02-21-2010, 05:56 PM
I also agree with Br Abd Al Latif. Just have an Arabic proverb or something if you must. But putting the Shahadah on a shirt would be highly disrespectful in the sense that when you wash it, you'll throw it among dirty clothes. You'll enter the bathroom with it on, and so on so forth.

Have an Arabic proverb or something instead.

heavenlyspot
02-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Instead of printing verses of the Quran, you can use motivational quotations having to do with Islam instead. For example "Islam: a complete way of life" or any related statements ? :-)

Just a suggestion though... In my opinion, I wouldn't be totally 'shocked' to see a t-shirt with the shahada on it. It's just that people will follow what they see, and in some cases unfortunately, non Muslim designers have been using Islamic calligraphy with the words "Allah" to print on shoes or designer dresses (not the appropriate kinds of gowns though !)

InshAllah you'll find a way. I appreciate that you're trying to incorporate the Deen into your business = )

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-21-2010, 08:18 PM
:sl:

Why can't we have written Qur'anic verses up like that? Don't we have them written on paper? What about all these masjids and stuff, they have ayaats written on them. Were they all wrong? Even in the golden age of Islam. Or would these be classed differently from hanging on walls? Doesn't seem like it's any different to me.

JazakAllah khair in advance.

:w:

'Abd-al Latif
02-21-2010, 11:28 PM
I am definite. I absolutely abhor seeing the Qur'an being put up on display. People's hearts have become empty so that they become amazed at the sight of the calligraphy and useless decorations that surround the words of Allah but they have no understanding of these decorated words or of even the language of the Qur'an!

When you ask these same people for the meaning of a single word in Qur'an, or of what they have decorated, they will be completely clueless. Their hearts are impressed and amazed at these pointless decorations, in this lies no substance but shallowness.

What is the ruling on hanging up aayaat for protection?

Q.
IS it proper to hang Quranic verses from the wall to
1. protect one from evil things
2. beautify the room with divine words
3. with the intention that it will gain me rewards
May allah rewad u.

Praise be to Allaah.

The ruling on placing the Mus-haf (copy of the Qur’aan) in cars to ward off the evil eye and for protection from danger is a bid’ah (innovation). The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) never carried the Mus-haf to ward off danger or the evil eye. If it is bid’ah, then we should remember that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Every bid’ah is a going-astray and every going-astray will lead to Hell.” (Telephone conversation with Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen) (al-Bida’ wa’l-Muhdathaat wa maa laa aslun lahu, p. 259).

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was also asked the following question: “Some people hang up aayaat of the Qur’aan and ahaadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the rooms of their homes or in restaurants or offices. In some hospitals and doctors’ offices they hang the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “And when I am ill, it is He Who cures me” [al-Shu’ara’ 26:80], and so on. Is this considered to be the use of amulets which is forbidden in sharee’ah, knowing that the intention behind it is to seek blessings and ward off the shayaateen, or to remind the forgetful and warn the negligent? Is it like using amulets to put the Mus-haf in one's car in order to seek blessings?”

His Eminence replied as follows:

“If the intention is as described, to remind people and teach them something beneficial, then there is no harm in that. But if they believe that it is a protection against the shayaateen or jinn, then I know of no basis for this. By the same token, there is no basis for putting the Mus-haf in one's car to protect it, and doing so is not allowed, but if a person puts it in his car so that he can read it sometimes or so that some of his passengers can read it, then this is good and there is nothing wrong with it. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

(Fatawa Islamiyyah, 4/29). (Shaykh Ibn Baaz may Allah have mercy on him) .

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/2915

AlbanianMuslim
02-21-2010, 11:49 PM
^
I know you cant protect yourself from anything by putting verses on the wall, but they serve as a reminder for people like me and I often post up verses on my door so that I learn new verses by reading them each morning before I step out. The picture I have with Quranic verses that I keep near my bed, I read each night before I close my eyes to protect me from bad dreams. The picture doesnt protect me, but me saying the verses before bed work for me.

'Abd-al Latif
02-22-2010, 12:17 AM
^
I know you cant protect yourself from anything by putting verses on the wall, but they serve as a reminder for people like me and I often post up verses on my door so that I learn new verses by reading them each morning before I step out. The picture I have with Quranic verses that I keep near my bed, I read each night before I close my eyes to protect me from bad dreams. The picture doesnt protect me, but me saying the verses before bed work for me.
I'll paste the particular link that shows that putting them up is not permissible. It's not even recommended to leave the mas-haf open if it isn't being recited.

AlbanianMuslim
02-22-2010, 01:51 AM
Ok Id like to see it. But I still dont understand why it would be a problem. I leave it by my bed stand to recite each night. I cant recite it without it being in front of me. Not all of us are gifted with being able to remember verses not in our native tongue

'Abd-al Latif
02-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Ruling on hanging verses of the Qur’aan on walls

When visiting muslims, I noticed that many of them put verses of the Qur'an on the walls or pictures with the names Allah and Mohammed. I know a lot of muslims think that it is good to do so because it will protect them and their house. Personally, I consider it a form of shirk or superstition. Is there any ruling on that subject?

Praise be to Allaah.

Hanging plaques and cloths containing aayaat of the Qur’aan in homes, schools, social clubs and places of business, involves a number of reservations and prohibitions according to Islam, such as the following:

(1) In most cases, hanging such things on the wall is done for purposes of decoration and adornment, as the aayaat etc. are written in calligraphy and colourful brocade. This is an inappropriate use of the Qur’aan, as it was revealed to guide people and to be read regularly. The Qur’aan was not revealed to decorate walls, but to guide mankind.

(2) Some people hang up such things for “blessing” - which is a form of bid‘ah. The blessing as described in Islam comes from reading or reciting the Qur’aan, not from hanging it up or placing it on shelves or turning it into artwork and three-dimensional images.

(3) This is contrary to the practice of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the Rightly-Guided Caliphs (al-Khulafaa’ al-Raashidoon), may Allaah be pleased with them, who never did such a thing. The best way is to follow them, not to introduce bid‘ah. History tells us that in places such as Andalusia, Turkey, etc., the adornment of houses and mosques with ornate carvings of aayaat only happened at times when the Muslims were weak and humiliated.

(4) Hanging up such pictures or plaques could lead to shirk, because some people think that these things are amulets that will protect the house and its people from evil and disease. This is shirk and is haraam, because the One Who really offers protection is Allaah, may He be glorified, and one of the means of gaining His protection is sincere recitation of the Qur’an and du‘aa’s taught in the Qur’aan and Sunnah.

(5) There is the risk that the Qur’aan may be used, in such cases, as a means of promoting one’s business or increasing one’s earnings. The Qur’aan should be protected from being used for such purposes. It is well-known that the production and sale of these pictures and plaques involves a great deal of extravagance and wasting money.

(6) Many of these plaques are painted with real gold, which makes using them and hanging them up even more haraam.

(7) Many of these plaques involve a kind of carelessness, because the letters are twisted into complex designs that are of no benefit to anyone because they are barely legible. Sometimes words are fashioned into the shape of a bird or a man prostrating, and similarly forbidden pictures of animate beings.

(8) Ayaat and soorahs of the Qur’aan are exposed to misuse and abuse by this practice. For example, when moving house, they are piled up with the rest of the furniture and belongings, and other objects may be placed on top of them. This also happens when they are taken down so that the wall may be painted or cleaned.

(9) Some Muslims whose observance of Islam is lacking put these plaques and pictures up so that they can feel that they are doing something religious, in order to reduce their feelings of guilt – in spite of the fact that this practice does not help them in any way.

All in all, we must close the doors of evil and follow the leaders of guidance of the early centuries of Islam, whose people the Prophet (peace be upon him) testified were the best of the Muslims in faith and practice. If someone were to say, “We are not going to abuse it or make it a decoration or exaggerate about it, we only want to remind people (about their religion) in our gatherings”, our response would be: if we look at real life, will we find that this is what actually happens? Do people really remember Allah? Do they even read these aayaat when they raise their heads?

What really happens is the opposite: people go against the words hanging over their heads, they still tell lies, engage in gossip, make fun of others and do and say evil things. Even if we assume that there are some who do benefit from these plaques etc., the fact is that they are very few, and this does not change the hukm (Islamic ruling) on the matter.

The Muslims must turn to the Book of Allaah, read it and recite it, and act in accordance with it. We ask Allaah to make the Qur’aan a light of guidance for us, and a means of removing our grief and anxiety. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/254

SMA89
02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I have seen people with Allah tattoos before but dont know if its right or wrong.

innocent
02-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Lol. Its wrong. Tattoos on their own are wrong and to have the name of Allah is also wrong.

Musliman
02-22-2010, 11:04 PM

You should not make these shirts for a number of reasons.

1. The name of Allah is not meant for display purposes, even pictures of the verses are Qur'an should not be hung up on the walls.
  2. People will go to the toilet when answering the call of nature and one cannot take the name of Allah to such a place.
  3. These shirts will get dirty, will be thrown on the floor and washed among other dirty clothes and this is not befitting for the name of Allah.

I can't think of anything else at the moment but I urge you not to do this type of printing. You should write other things instead that have meaningful messages, perhaps some Arabic proverbs or idioms that do not mention the name of Allah will be more fruitful for your business.
Interesting arguments, that is new to me :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-23-2010, 12:42 AM
:sl:

This helped. JazakAllah Khayr :thumbs_up

Re.TiReD
02-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Question: I would like to make gift cards and wall hangings out of fabric, (like patchwork with details). If it isn't generally permissible, would it become so if there is arabic detail as a reminder, for instance 'Allah', as opposed to just making a hanging for a child's room to brighten it up with boats and so on?

Assalamu alaikum
Please see the following related answers:

There is nothing wrong with gift cards or wall hangings that contain the Divine Name or verses from the Qur'an.

Jazakum Allah khayr.
And Allah alone gives success.

from s u n n i p a t h

One thing Abd 'Al Latif or maybe the site where his fatwa is from forgets is that Islam has a rich and vibrant history, one that includes and recognises a contribution towards islamic art, calligraphy and geometric designs.

There is nothing wrong with Islamic Artwork on display, although yes I agree that islamic clothing should be/might be a no-go area. And as for those who write out arabic without knowing what it means or being ignorant to the true beauty of the qur'aan, well maybe that statement only holds true for the one who made it and not for the rest of the artistic population :)

JazakAllah khayr

revert2007
04-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Allah's name not suppose to be put on the floor and so on.and what if the T'shirt got sting and what if a woman on menses wearing it?and what if the t'shirt has najis on?

Allah's name is to be pronounced and not to be taken to the washroom and show of..don't immitate the disbelievers as they make t'shirts of jesus pbuh and so on.

am sure this answer clearly tells u that it is a NO

cat eyes
04-02-2010, 01:25 PM
tatoos are wrong because they are permanant you can not wipe it off when your in unclean state if u av creators name that includes all the 99names also the same goes for jewellery with creators name u can wear but u av to be clean state u av to be careful of not walking into the tiolet and things like this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.