PDA

View Full Version : islamic clothing,where do you buy yours?



cat eyes
02-21-2010, 03:11 PM
:sl:
Brothers and sisters...

i just can't believe the price you have to pay to dress modestly really... :exhausted

I basically only have to abaaya's that i wear and they make sure they properly cover my curves etc however i get paranoid that people are thinking that i am wearing the same clothes over and over again..i suppose its because i was bullied at school for not wearing different clothes to school:( but my mum did not see the point in dressing me up for school.. and my parents did not have the money anyway ever since ive always been a paranoid person

I Want to change my whole wardrobe.. i don't really want anything that resembles a disbeliever because i am very afraid about this.. even long skirts i dont know whether even thats okay to wear?

Its just that islamic clothing dose not come cheap..why is this?

jazakAllah

:wa:
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
02-21-2010, 03:26 PM
http://www.shukr.co.uk/Merchant2/mer...ory_Code=women
Reply

zakirs
02-21-2010, 03:56 PM

They come costly probably because the demand for them is not so high and profit margins are kept high in case of low volumes.I might also be wrong
Reply

cat eyes
02-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by zakirs
They come costly probably because the demand for them is not so high and profit margins are kept high in case of low volumes.I might also be wrong
if they sold there clothes cheap they would have more buyers. where is the smart professional buisness sense in selling clothes that nobody can effort for pity sake half the world is poor lol
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Cabdullahi
02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
if they sold there clothes cheap they would have more buyers. where is the smart professional buisness sense in selling clothes that nobody can effort for pity sake half the world is poor lol
until then you can purchase old grandmother second hand cardigans from oxfam
Reply

cat eyes
02-21-2010, 04:16 PM
ive been to oxfam many times:embarrass lol they have some nice stuff actually :embarrass
Reply

Life_Is_Short
02-21-2010, 05:09 PM
It's true. Abaya's are really expensive. I got mine from saudi, they have really nice ones (compared to here) and they're affordable.

Do you live in U.K? If so have you heard of ZamZam?
Reply

UmmSqueakster
02-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

Shukr clothes are the price they are because that's what they cost to make. They use quality materials (lots of fabric) and pay their workers living wages, not pennies a day.

Check their clearance section and buy a few skirts at a time. That's what I do. I still have some of their first collection of skirts from like 6 or 7 years ago that I could still theoretically wear (if I fit into them :exhausted).

No, I do not work for shukr, I'm just a huge fan. I wear a shukr skirt every day of the week, paired with a long sleeve top that I buy from department stores.


One way to spice up a wardrobe for not very much money is different scarves. I wear all black a lot - black skirt, black shirt, black socks, black shoes - and then wear a different color scarf. Makes it look like a somewhat different outfit.
Reply

cat eyes
02-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by UmmSqueakster
Assalamu Alaikum,

Shukr clothes are the price they are because that's what they cost to make. They use quality materials (lots of fabric) and pay their workers living wages, not pennies a day.

.
thanks for the info i will check there stuff out but i find that most material are cheap and they can easily get torn i have a good eye for material because i worked in retail stores from the past 3-4years i can actually tell from which country the material comes from whether its from china or india. i know for a fact retailers get there material from china because its dirt cheap... not all of course but often i dont get what i have payed for.

My friend gets all her clothes from pakistan sent over to her... a tailor makes them for her for like 4-5euro or something lol and the material is twice as good
Reply

cat eyes
02-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
It's true. Abaya's are really expensive. I got mine from saudi, they have really nice ones (compared to here) and they're affordable.

Do you live in U.K? If so have you heard of ZamZam?
nah i don't live in the u.k! but i think i might have heard of that,the name sounds familiar.. can u order there clothes online?
Reply

Life_Is_Short
02-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
nah i don't live in the u.k! but i think i might have heard of that,the name sounds familiar.. can u order there clothes online?
No :(
Have you tried back home?
Reply

Beardo
02-21-2010, 08:37 PM
I wanted to buy my mom some Islamic clothing last Eid. I literally searched everywhere on-line, but they're so darn expensive and all in the UK. They don't even ship to the US.
Reply

_PakistaN_
02-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Islamic clothing? well, I mostly wear pants and shirts. At home sometimes I wear shalwar kameez.
Reply

Raaina
02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
I look for abaaya's on eBay :)
I agree, alot of the clothing online is really expensive :(
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
:sl:

Sis cat eyes we're on the same boat with this one :S I also have only two abayas. Many times I thought I'd just keep repeating for the sake of modesty...but I guess I don't really wana be repetitive lol. I have skirts and so i wear them...but I wish I could just find a good quaility abaya at an affordable price....many times I've thought I'd ask for some from back home....:/ But then I'd be waiting for it for ages...:X
Reply

جوري
02-21-2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.islamicboard.com/new-musl...-clothing.html
Reply

AlbanianMuslim
02-22-2010, 01:54 AM
I have done ebay and amazon. You have to be somewhat creative in your efforts, if you are looking to buy only abayas, deff go on ebay. They are always selling them for great prices there.
Reply

cat eyes
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short
No :(
Have you tried back home?
yeah theres not much available the shop that i do go to they only sale big massive clothes but she got a tailor for me to shorten the waste ;D i was thinking that maybe only giants shop in there :hmm:

The other store is far away from my home.. aah i just hate this man sometimes i just want to scream when they dont have my size :heated:
Reply

cat eyes
02-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by AlbanianMuslim
I have done ebay and amazon. You have to be somewhat creative in your efforts, if you are looking to buy only abayas, deff go on ebay. They are always selling them for great prices there.
aaah the problem with buying anything second hand is that all you can see is the picture and you don't know what type quality its in since its been worn before *sigh*
Reply

cat eyes
02-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
:sl:

Sis cat eyes we're on the same boat with this one :S I also have only two abayas. Many times I thought I'd just keep repeating for the sake of modesty...but I guess I don't really wana be repetitive lol. I have skirts and so i wear them...but I wish I could just find a good quaility abaya at an affordable price....many times I've thought I'd ask for some from back home....:/ But then I'd be waiting for it for ages...:X
i honestly don't know though whats wrong with me:( i dont know why i feel i have to change my clothes all the time..

i wish i was not this paranoid
Reply

cat eyes
02-23-2010, 04:24 PM
i dont know why my multi quote button aint worken :raging:
Reply

Cabdullahi
02-23-2010, 06:26 PM
http://www.hijabnow.com/webshop/inde...0cb478316fb58d


http://www.themuslimclothingstore.co...2064ef17eedb73


:hmm:
Reply

Rialah
02-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
yeah theres not much available the shop that i do go to they only sale big massive clothes but she got a tailor for me to shorten the waste ;D i was thinking that maybe only giants shop in there :hmm:

The other store is far away from my home.. aah i just hate this man sometimes i just want to scream when they dont have my size :heated:
LOL..... I understand you, I am a size 8-10 and the first time I went in London to buy a dress, I was suprised when the lady in the shop looked at me and said oh, 38 or 39, I was fazed, I didn't understand her.

The idea behind wearing a full dress is that is should not show off your curves or make you appear salacious and in a positive way I suppose, dresses do appear to be made for giants and most people I know go to a tailor for adjustments.

Where I live, I find people looking suspiciously at my bosom and I am sometimes asked if I am pregnant ...... nowadays I just ask with what, cos its my perogative what I wear and so on as long as I am comfortable.

I am not a professional tailor but I did get a machine and overlocker over 10 years back and used to sew with my mums machine when I was younger so I simply use that, I have found though that especially in these colder months, by the time you put on your clothes, put your dress over and then your coat, it matters not what fits or not, just keeping warm.

I am a bit finicky and cannot wear the same item of clothing two days running without a quick wash so generally I would launder at night and dry before the day and eventually I went back .... if you live in London, try Upton park and got a few dresses, I was lucky and stringent, I got them for about £6 -10 each including scarf and got my nikhab for about £2.50 or £3.

Any adjustments have been done on my machine, so...invest in one if you can and teach yourself, it cannot hurt. Get cheap fabric from the market and practice making your own, thats how I learned to sew. Practice practice....

The benefit of having a machine is also that sometimes if you get conventional clothes they are not the right length of size so you can amend them or as I did last ied, after trawling Adams, primark, next, gap, all the shops I could, I gave in, bought 3 yards of beautiful fabric and made my daughter's eid dress, I had enough left to get a brolly and stretchy hijab to match too!! How much,... £10 overall and It was not so easy but not so hard to sew it all, it was beautiful, she got a large scarf as well and lots of people commented on how beautiful her dress was and she still has the dress. I made a skirt and a jacket and got her a long sleeve top to wear under and made a sleevless camisole to go on top of the dress over the top.

Now I am not going to buy her any more dresses, I will get fabric and sew, I enjoyed the experience.

So now my wardrobe consists of about 5/6 dresses, some with colour, some with sequins and some with embroidery, cos thats my kind of personality.

Trousers black/coloured, from primark or good discount stores and I wear my regular clothes indoors but keep my covers nearby in case the postman buzzes or I get an unexpected visit.

Don't worry yourself, no one except my husband can fiind out what is under my dress so it matters not to me and aside from that close friends and under the dress is my regular outfit so first I have to take nikhab off, then scarf then smaller head scarf, then hair wrap cover then hair net to expose my face, then coat off, dress off, trousers off, to reveal what I am actually wearing.

Never worry about what you are wearing, brands are for cattle and really most of the time no one knows you are wearing a different outfit unless they are stalking you or watching you like which makes the other person a wierdo unless they know you in which case its nice to be noticed for making an effort.
Reply

zakirs
02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
general advice to all sisters :

Things in india tend to be cheap for 2 reasons. Quite many muslims, India is a developing nation.So if you have any relatives coming to/from india ask them to buy for you. if not wait till some indian sets up a good web shop for muslims :P
Reply

zakirs
02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
--ignore this. was a repost error--
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
i honestly don't know though whats wrong with me:( i dont know why i feel i have to change my clothes all the time..

i wish i was not this paranoid
Yea we shouldn't have too. I guess now this idea is ingrained in our head that people would think you're boring if you wear the same thing all the time.

Btw my multiquote doesn't work either :skeleton:
Reply

Re.TiReD
02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Sew your own :p I prefer tailor made jilbabs over ready-made ones. They dont cost as much either and you know its deffo gonna be the right size etc etc.
Reply

Cabdullahi
02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I always wear the same clothes it makes me feel comfortable when i do this....




My sisters persuade me to dress in a fashionable Islamic way but i'm having none of it...i feel good in tracksuit bottoms and hoodies!
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
I love hoodiessssss makes me feel coooool :D
Reply

Cabdullahi
02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
I love hoodiessssss makes me feel coooool :D
Exactly! need we say more
Reply

Sawdah
02-23-2010, 09:57 PM
http://thehijabshop.com/
Reply

cat eyes
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
i love those hoodie abaaya's there so cool:p look nice and warm to but soon we will be coming in to summer :(

I Love wearing hoodies the principle at my school use to get so angry at me cos id wear pink hoodies over my uniform

over here if you wear a hoodie you are called a ''thief'' ;D

its also known as junky tread mark also sadly

ah well it wont stop me from wearing them:p
Reply

cat eyes
02-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Rialah
LOL..... I understand you, I am a size 8-10 and the first time I went in London to buy a dress, I was suprised when the lady in the shop looked at me and said oh, 38 or 39, I was fazed, I didn't understand her.

The idea behind wearing a full dress is that is should not show off your curves or make you appear salacious and in a positive way I suppose, dresses do appear to be made for giants and most people I know go to a tailor for adjustments.

Where I live, I find people looking suspiciously at my bosom and I am sometimes asked if I am pregnant ...... nowadays I just ask with what, cos its my perogative what I wear and so on as long as I am comfortable.

I am not a professional tailor but I did get a machine and overlocker over 10 years back and used to sew with my mums machine when I was younger so I simply use that, I have found though that especially in these colder months, by the time you put on your clothes, put your dress over and then your coat, it matters not what fits or not, just keeping warm.

I am a bit finicky and cannot wear the same item of clothing two days running without a quick wash so generally I would launder at night and dry before the day and eventually I went back .... if you live in London, try Upton park and got a few dresses, I was lucky and stringent, I got them for about £6 -10 each including scarf and got my nikhab for about £2.50 or £3.

Any adjustments have been done on my machine, so...invest in one if you can and teach yourself, it cannot hurt. Get cheap fabric from the market and practice making your own, thats how I learned to sew. Practice practice....

The benefit of having a machine is also that sometimes if you get conventional clothes they are not the right length of size so you can amend them or as I did last ied, after trawling Adams, primark, next, gap, all the shops I could, I gave in, bought 3 yards of beautiful fabric and made my daughter's eid dress, I had enough left to get a brolly and stretchy hijab to match too!! How much,... £10 overall and It was not so easy but not so hard to sew it all, it was beautiful, she got a large scarf as well and lots of people commented on how beautiful her dress was and she still has the dress. I made a skirt and a jacket and got her a long sleeve top to wear under and made a sleevless camisole to go on top of the dress over the top.

Now I am not going to buy her any more dresses, I will get fabric and sew, I enjoyed the experience.

So now my wardrobe consists of about 5/6 dresses, some with colour, some with sequins and some with embroidery, cos thats my kind of personality.

Trousers black/coloured, from primark or good discount stores and I wear my regular clothes indoors but keep my covers nearby in case the postman buzzes or I get an unexpected visit.

Don't worry yourself, no one except my husband can fiind out what is under my dress so it matters not to me and aside from that close friends and under the dress is my regular outfit so first I have to take nikhab off, then scarf then smaller head scarf, then hair wrap cover then hair net to expose my face, then coat off, dress off, trousers off, to reveal what I am actually wearing.

Never worry about what you are wearing, brands are for cattle and really most of the time no one knows you are wearing a different outfit unless they are stalking you or watching you like which makes the other person a wierdo unless they know you in which case its nice to be noticed for making an effort.
haha funny. enjoyed reading. thanks for taking the time to post sis:)

I Take 8-10 also and its sometimes hard to find clothes in my size.

Its so true though the sales assistant always looks at me funny to

i sometimes feel so weird in front of them that maybe i should be a bigger size or something lol

what made things more embarrassing is that once the lady came in to changing room with me to see what i looked like:embarrass i was swimming in it just did not fit me at all and i was like hummm get me outa here i cant see :blind: ;D

before i came to islam, everybody was all about ''oh you should lose weight and get down to a size 6 because everybody is like size 6 or zero''

But now since reverting... my new friends tell me, you know you should put on weight loool your to thin.

thats nice in a way that i have friends like that really
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
i love those hoodie abaaya's there so cool:p look nice and warm to but soon we will be coming in to summer :(

I Love wearing hoodies the principle at my school use to get so angry at me cos id wear pink hoodies over my uniform

over here if you wear a hoodie you are called a ''thief'' ;D

its also known as junky tread mark also sadly

ah well it wont stop me from wearing them:p
Oh man I would love to have those :D Soo cooool.

I love hoodies too :D
Reply

Islam_sister
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
SubhanAllah, I know abayats are too much.. but if i would abayat shopping.. i would most def. try and go to fabrick Land or any local material store buy material to make your abayat, niqab, jilbab etc... its cheaper and not as expensive as buying an actually abayat.. But im nit saying i go to fabric land and get materials but i think just to save money that is a good way to do so. But i usally get my abayats from the masjid when to expensive me and my sisters in islam share abayats so alhumdulilah!.. Also travel maybe if you live in canada to the states clothing is usually cheaper in the states then canada and if u live in canada from ottawa to toronto, their clothing for dressing modestly in toronto are cheap aswell.. soo traveling is a benefit aswell when wanting to dress modestly..
Reply

ardianto
02-25-2010, 09:41 AM


Pasar Baru at Bandung city, Indonesia. Where you can buy Islamic clothing (and other clothes) in competitive price. Also, you can buy in large quantity with special discount if you want to resell those clothes.

The customer are come not only from Bandung, but also from other cities, other provinces, even from Singapore and Malaysia. :statisfie
Reply

brotherubaid
02-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Stock up on islamic clotjing when ever u visit the arab world , or go for umrah etc, or if u travel n stop over in dubai or anyother gulf country , the prices are very good and soooo much variety. so inshahAllah when ever u travel u can stock up on them.
Reply

★ηαѕιнα★
02-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by brotherubaid
Stock up on islamic clotjing when ever u visit the arab world , or go for umrah etc, or if u travel n stop over in dubai or anyother gulf country , the prices are very good and soooo much variety. so inshahAllah when ever u travel u can stock up on them.

They confiscate it at the borders dont they?
Like when you enter Europe they see the packed stuff and you have to prove its not for selling purposes. Most people take the stuff out of the wrappers, wash it a time or two, wear it and stuff their suitceses.
Reply

brotherubaid
02-25-2010, 11:11 AM
well , i remmber once i sent it to a brother that some u you might know , a former rapper who left music n reverted to islam who wanted to sell thobes n oils n stuff like that at the local masjid, i sent it with a family that was travelling to the states , a whole bag , they didnt have no problems in getting that in , n it was not even for personal use it was actually for the brother to sell it n make ends meet.
Reply

Danah
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
i get paranoid that people are thinking that i am wearing the same clothes over and over again.
I wont expect any woman to have so many abayaas like other kind of clothes! Abayaa is just something external you wear over the normal clothes you usually wear. You don't have to have so many of them sis..

You can sew your own clothes in the tailor stores, get the material you want and get some decent designs from the internet or draw them yourself and sew them. I don't like to buy the ready made ones too, because in most cases I don't get satisfied with their designs.

Or if you know anyone living in the gulf countries or you yourself stopped by any you may have a good shopping trip and get all what you need.
Reply

zana
02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
hijabshop.com if thats any help :statisfie
Reply

zana
02-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by brotherubaid
Stock up on islamic clotjing when ever u visit the arab world , or go for umrah etc, or if u travel n stop over in dubai or anyother gulf country , the prices are very good and soooo much variety. so inshahAllah when ever u travel u can stock up on them.
yeah totally agree you can find anything and everything there inshallah im planning to go dubai this year
Reply

★ηαѕιнα★
02-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by zana
yeah totally agree you can find anything and everything there inshallah im planning to go dubai this year
Cool, though I heard travelling to Dubai is expensive.:hmm:
Reply

UmmSqueakster
02-25-2010, 08:41 PM
The last time I was in Egypt (2005), I bought a nice abaya for 180 LE, ~$30. So in the end, it was a little cheaper than online, but not that much. Just be thankful that you're not making the money that people in Egypt are making. 180LE could be someone's entire salary for a month. Imagine if basic clothes in the west took up that much of our salary!
Reply

zana
02-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by ★ηαѕιнα★
Cool, though I heard travelling to Dubai is expensive.:hmm:
yeah but you enjoy spending on holiday, Islamic Clothing is something I would buy for my Mom and older family members
Reply

★ηαѕιнα★
02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by UmmSqueakster
The last time I was in Egypt (2005), I bought a nice abaya for 180 LE, ~$30. So in the end, it was a little cheaper than online, but not that much. Just be thankful that you're not making the money that people in Egypt are making. 180LE could be someone's entire salary for a month. Imagine if basic clothes in the west took up that much of our salary!
Thats cos life is cheaper there than here in the western world.
Reply

UmmSqueakster
02-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by ★ηαѕιнα★
Thats cos life is cheaper there than here in the western world.
Eh, not so much. Everything is expensive when you take into account what people make (if they even have jobs), so people do with less. AbuS and I just watched the movie Food Inc (which is awesome and everyone should see it), and got to talking about the price of organic meat in the US, and then the cost of meat production in general. I was shocked to hear that a pound of beef cost 40LE in egypt. That's like a pound of beef in the western world costing 1/4 of your monthly salary!
Reply

zana
02-25-2010, 09:16 PM
is egypt a lovely place? do u live near all the lovely mosques
Reply

Raaina
03-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I just found this site: www.eastessence.com

Seems reasonably priced, wanted to share it with you all :)
Reply

cat eyes
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
theres some nice stuff in there :p

the shawls are beautiful
Reply

Raaina
03-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
theres some nice stuff in there :p

the shawls are beautiful
Yeah there is some really nice stuff - Roll on pay day!
Reply

zana
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
thank you sister roll on pay day lol
Reply

zana
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by mystical_moon
I just found this site: www.eastessence.com

Seems reasonably priced, wanted to share it with you all :)

this website is american as the money is dollars has anyone actually ordered of here from the uk?
Reply

Raaina
03-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by zana
this website is american as the money is dollars has anyone actually ordered of here from the uk?
Sister if you click on the link on the right for the UK, you can get the prices in £ Pounds Sterling.

I got paid yesterday (woo hoo) I might order from it soon.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 01:57 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 01:25 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2009, 11:49 PM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 07:31 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!