/* */

PDA

View Full Version : lost...

AnonymousPoster
02-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Salaam,

I feel quite lost at the moment.
I want to learn about Islam and Arabic, I am currently in an Islamic girls sixth form and they do not offer these subjects.

There is alima course which is after college times, but I really hate sitting down and being dictated at and after college i have heaps of stuff to do.

My freinds are good and all, but all they are really interested in is books
and stuff like Doctor Who, the Mentalist.
I can not really talk to them about that because quite frankly I do not read romance, crime fiction books all the time nor do i watch these shows because I find it a waste of time.

What my real dilemma is, I so want to learn all these subjects to do with Islam but I just do not know how to do it, where to go.
I have tried reading books which some are interesting but i do not really grasp it without interaction.

I do not know what to do!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bint Ahmad
02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
salaams sister

personally i think you should go ahead with the alima course. can you imagine, being a custodian of all that islamic knowledge!! you have the opportunity dont let it pass, GRAB IT!! you dont want to regret later when you progress to higher grades in school and you really do have too much of work.

you'll be amazed at how you would actually be able to fit everything in, i went to madrasah right up to my last year in school and believe me its fantastic. and the truth is you'll actually find yourself doing better at school and your memeory will increase a lot. this is all through the mercy of Allah. so now that you have the desire to increase your knowlegde dont let anything stop you.

Ummu Sufyaan
02-24-2010, 01:25 AM
:sl:
college is only 2 years right? if that's the case, i think its best to wait as to avoid all that stress. as long as you've got your obligations down pat, then i wouldn't worry too much about the rest.

in the meantime, pick up some books and read and contemplate them over the school holidays or anytime you have free time. i do realize you said that you cant seem to grasp when you study by yourself, but perhaps its the actual reading material that you choose. maybe you read stuff, that although you do have some degree of interest in it, it is not a whole hearted one. or maybe the reading material is way above your level of understanding.

i only say this because i know what its like to fail in achieving something, thinking its the "thing" that is the hurdle, when really it is the method i was applying in reaching the goal that was the problem.

so perhaps try approaching gaining knowledge in a different manner, dont just read books, listen to lectures, go to the masjid once a week and get in contact with some sisters and exchange emails, etc so that you can forward useful articles to one another....

analyze and think to yourself what is going wrong and where the "trouble-shooting" is stemming from and try to rectify that.

Sawdah
02-24-2010, 01:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Salaam,

I feel quite lost at the moment.
I want to learn about Islam and Arabic, I am currently in an Islamic girls sixth form and they do not offer these subjects.

There is alima course which is after college times, but I really hate sitting down and being dictated at and after college i have heaps of stuff to do.

My freinds are good and all, but all they are really interested in is books
and stuff like Doctor Who, the Mentalist.
I can not really talk to them about that because quite frankly I do not read romance, crime fiction books all the time nor do i watch these shows because I find it a waste of time.

What my real dilemma is, I so want to learn all these subjects to do with Islam but I just do not know how to do it, where to go.
I have tried reading books which some are interesting but i do not really grasp it without interaction.

I do not know what to do!
Is there any sister gatherings near you? If so try joining one inshaAllah, it's a good way to be interactive. There's so much to learn about Islam, try listening to lectures or read a book on different subjects as sister Umm Sufyaan has mentioned earlier.

Hope it works out for you inshaAllah.

:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
02-25-2010, 01:54 AM
:sl: Sis,

I know exactly how you feel! And I'm in a very similar position to you. I'm at a girls sixth form, and I know - it's very hard to talk to people about it..

Unfortunately, there aren't very many practising sisters in my sixth form, which makes it harder..

But the advice I got was - Sis, do you want to go to University? If yes, what do you want to study?

The advice I got was to continue with further education and go University and do the course I want to do, and then attend circles/talks/islamic programmes/ courses in the evenings/Weekends - and if you want to learn the Qur'an, there's Hifz classes you can go to..

With that you would be making the most out of your day - and inshAllah, you will be seeking knowledge from 'the cradle to the grave' - something that is compulsory upon every Muslim. And also, don't think about not having enough time, because actually you will find that you have so much more time than you have now, as your spending time seeking knowledge which pleases Allah (SWT)

Also, if you do consider going Uni, make your intention that your doing this because you want to continue to seek knowledge and that after you graduate inshAllah, you want to benefit other Muslim Sisters - and this could include becoming a teacher/doing Medicine/ Dentistry/ Maths etc..

Hope this all helps you insha'Allah :statisfie

Cabdullahi
02-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Remember that 'Life is short' it is good that you have that urgency to learn more about islam...i would advice you to ask around perhaps you could find a place that you could go to at the weekends inshaAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.