/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim communities could do more to tackle potential terrorists - Chief Constable

Uthman
02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Muslim communities could do more to help identify potential terrorists in their midsts, a chief constable has warned.

Sir Norman Bettison, the head of West Yorkshire Police, said that Britain is facing another 20 years of having to deal with the threat from radicalised home-grown extremists.

He said there was a fine line between winning the support of the Muslim community and alienating it, but he believed that Muslims needed to do more to tip off police.

"I'm looking for the community to work much more closely with the police in identifying young people that they have concerns about in terms of the people that they're mixing with, the sort of websites that they're going on to and the material that they're reading," Sir Norman said.

"That information can only come from the community itself."

Sir Norman, who is the Association of Chief Police Officer’s spokesman on preventing violent extremism, compared radicalisation to a disease and added: "I think it's a generation of treatment to prevent the infection spreading and I think that will take us probably 20 years.”

The four bombers who struck in London on July 7, 2005, came from West Yorkshire and the area is also home to Hamaad Munshi, Britain's youngest convicted terrorist.

Munshi, from Dewsbury, was 15 when he downloaded information about bomb-making from the internet and hid notes about martyrdom under his bed.

Sir Norman’s comments came on a BBC documentary about “Generation Jihad”.

He told the programme: "I think we have to be alert and conscious of the risk that's ever present and prepared to interdict and prepared to share information.

"So the community as a whole could do more and the Muslim community is a part of that."

Home Office figures show that a total of 228 children have been referred to the Channel Project, part of Prevent, the Government's flagship strategy to stop young people becoming terrorists.

More than 90 per cent of those identified are between 15 and 24 and most are Muslim. The youngest was seven years old.

The Daily Telegraph disclosed recently that American intelligence agencies believed that Britain had the greatest number of Islamic extremists of any Western country.

Source

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.