/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to write a killer article?

Life_Is_Short
02-24-2010, 05:29 PM
:sl:

I am writing an article on a controversial topic. I don't know where to start. It's on human cloning (very controversial). The audience i've selected is 16-19 years olds. :hiding:

It's needs to make my audience interested in the topic.

It will consist of scientific background as well as ethical dilemmas and updated issues/news. Is it a good idea to map out the history and origin of cloning too? :hmm: This will increase the length but might make it boring.

Any advice/help appreciated.

Jazak'Allah Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
-Fallen Angel-
02-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I would say first give a brief description of cloning. What it is, when the idea was brought up etc..

After that you can move onto the scientific side of it, method, trial, results, success rate etc. (if you are required to write in-depth for this). Then move onto the ehtical issues and give some examples (something like dolly the sheep), and then just write a small conclusion with your own views about it at the end (if you are required to do this).

This isnt that helpful... but i remember doing something like this in Biology last year although it was more of a discussion. Good luck.

ps. don't worry about it being boring. If the teacher asked for it, they should read it whether or not they find it boring. :P

Life_Is_Short
02-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Jazak'Allah Khair. It's not for Biology and i was not asked to write it by a teacher. There are no criteria.
I did that in biology too and i pickled cloning tecniques not human cloning. It was boring and i got a very low mark. :(

Tilmeez
02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Your audiance might like it short but to the point.
Your start should be a bet dramtic like," What will be your response if you, on a bright sunny day, see your "photostate?" Or some thing more intersting to make them read it to the last bit.

Other typical qualities such as connectivity between paragraphs, neat and easy language instead pure terminologis and a nice closing paragraph will possibly make it killer.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
02-24-2010, 06:18 PM
People get interested in things if they can see how they will affect their lives. So to capture the interest of the above-mentioned audience, I would think you can throw in some trivia about what would happen if humans could be cloned? Just a sentence or two that captures the dramatic and transformative power of this process. I recently read that Iranian scientists have cloned a goat. Way more sophisticated than pakistani scientists as of now :p

Life_Is_Short
02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
People get interested in things if they can see how they will affect their lives. So to capture the interest of the above-mentioned audience, I would think you can throw in some trivia about what would happen if humans could be cloned? Just a sentence or two that captures the dramatic and transformative power of this process. I recently read that Iranian scientists have cloned a goat. Way more sophisticated than pakistani scientists as of now :p
Zavos (greek cypriot) has already performed therapeutic human cloning. Now there's something that's sure to grab attention.

Ummu Sufyaan
02-24-2010, 11:42 PM
when you write something, let your heart do the writing, not your hand. use your emotion and be create about it if you can (or are allowed to be). make it interesting somehow.

just write whatever comes to mind even if it doesn't make sense and even if it isnt related and soon you will find your brain thinking faster then you can write.

when your done writing, go back and organize it a little better and see where it needs refining.

if you find yourself stuck, take a small break and/or rewrite what you want withOUT looking at your previous attempt (this usually gets you even more brain blocked) but at the same time keeping your previous attempt...so approach it with a fresh mind, and look at your previous attempt in case you have written something better in it that you can use and refine your new attempt with.

Life_Is_Short
02-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Does this introduction/opening make you want to read further? Are you interested in the topic?

Of all the medical advancements mankind has created, nothing is more remarkable, and controversial, than human cloning. Cloning is the process of producing the exact genetic copy of the original. The copy is identical and has the exact same DNA sequence. The procedures used in cloning human embryos are very similar to the cloning of animal embryos.
While to some it seems as an astounding break through to cure diseases and problems associated with transplant, others it reminds of horror movies which show the creation of human monsters or armies of superhuman soldiers. The idea of having your own personal clone as an “organ reserve” seems handy but how farfetched is this? Already, scientists admit that the science used to create Dolly the first animal clone, can theoretically produce a human. One scientist, Panayiotis Zavos, has claimed to have already performed a similar technique on humans.
New discoveries such as these raise eye brows among the scientific community as many are concerned about the moral, the ethical and the spiritual impact. More often than not these dilemas are the only thing standing in the way of advancement in such fields.

Constructive criticism appreciated. Jazak'Allah Khair

Ummu Sufyaan
02-27-2010, 04:41 AM
my knowledge of genetics has gone way rusty, so just be mindful that im no expert.
what is your essay question, btw?

the info you have included is good and how you've written it is good, but its so common/well-known, its not that interesting. you need to "zing it up" and make it more interesting somehow. what you have written, well you might as well as be saying: "the sky is blue. when it rains, it turns gray and water falls from it"

Of all the medical advancements mankind has created, nothing is more remarkable, and controversial, than human cloning. Cloning is the process of producing the exact genetic copy of the original. The copy is identical and has the exact same DNA sequence.
expand on this. doesn't mitosis do the same thing?

The procedures used in cloning human embryos are very similar to the cloning of animal embryos.
this bit here...it sounds like you've jumped a step ahead. you havent introduced or made previous mention on what cloning can be used for so to say that it can be used on both humans an animals, comes across as random

While to some it seems as an astounding break through to cure diseases and problems associated with transplant, others it reminds of horror movies which show the creation of human monsters or armies of superhuman soldiers.
this sounds a little unprofessional and unformal for an essay.
also, if relevant, give a very very brief description of how it is used to cure diseases because again it comes off as a little random.

i'll give feedback on the rest, but im not too sure what the essay question is.
It will consist of scientific background as well as ethical dilemmas and updated issues/news. Is it a good idea to map out the history and origin of cloning too? This will increase the length but might make it boring.
do that, but include the history only where it is relevant.

always always always get your professor to check your rough draft way ahead before the due date to see if you are on track and to give you time to refine it if/where you can.

Sampharo
02-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, to write an article you need to understand two things:

1- Objective: What are you trying to communicate? Is it to educate/propagate/or refute? If it's the first, educate, then it is academic and you need to first define cloning, introduce its history (first time suggested, first time theorized, failed attempts, etc.), then delve into its suspected benefits and disadvantages scientifically and ethically and get on with it. If it's propagation of an opinion, then beware that you'll have people who will want to refute, so keep most information relevent and backed with evidence if possible.

2- Audience: students, public, friendly, hostile, etc. There's no way a fiqh matter for example written for muslim students of fiqh can be the same way as arguing for shariah in front of secular politicians. Equally an article explaining cloning ethically to neutral students who are probable to share your opinion, will not be the same if they are opposing and you're trying to convince and lay down a case with supporting evidence and thoughts.

In general, people's attention is short these days, and while 200 lines will deliver more information, keeping it to less than half would actually attract more eyes and circulation.

Good luck.

My personal opinion on the matter by the way is that I see no problem with it, except if it is with humans, where it can have grievous results on basis of kinship, lineage, marriage, rights, and not to mention the suggestion of one being a clone will drive psychological disturbances towards identity and self-worth. Additionally cloning requires genetic manipulation and will lead to basically engineering humans at will, which is a direct intervention into God's creation of each human's characteristics. This may lead even to worse things such as race exclusion, breeding traits into or out of a favourable or hostile population, etc.

Life_Is_Short
02-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Jazak'Allah Khair, there is no essay title. It's on human cloning and obviously with that you have to consider ethical, spritual and moral dilemas and the science involved since it's a scientific article. Stem cells, SCNT tecnique, IVF and how that ties in with human cloning.

I just wanted to know if the introduction was interesting enough. It's first draft as i am still working on it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.