/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Michael Gove opposes mosque at centre of 'inflammatory' campaign

Uthman
02-25-2010, 07:27 AM
A Conservative frontbench spokesman, Michael Gove, has opposed plans to build a mosque in his constituency after it became the target of an "inflammatory and offensive" online campaign.

The shadow schools secretary, who warned that the west was facing a "total war" from Islamists in his book Celsius 7/7, had initially refused to take sides in the dispute over proposals to build a mosque next to Sandhurst barracks in Camberley, Surrey. But this week he said he had been convinced that the strength of feeling was threatening the area's "good community relations" and called on local Muslims to withdraw the application.

"The issue has become a flashpoint and people from inside and outside the community were making statements that I did not think would further community relations," he said.

"It struck me that it was best to ask the Bengali Welfare Association to withdraw the application and to consider how to improve the facilities for worship for the Muslim community in a calmer environment."

A Facebook group set up to oppose the mosque has 6,834 "fans" and was criticised by one local organisation opposing the mosque as "inflammatory and offensive". The Facebook group is supported by the far-right English Defence League.

The local Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate, Alan Hiliar, said Gove had "lost all respect" over the issue. "I reject Michael Gove's decision to ask the community to withdraw their application on the ground that it's 'divisive'. To ask the Muslim community to withdraw the application is simply kicking the issue into the long grass; it resolves nothing."

Gove denied he had pandered to anti-Islamic sentiment, saying he had supported the Muslim community locally and nationally. "We have had an Islamic centre here for more than 10 years, which I have visited as a prospective candidate and MP, and I have appeared on platforms opposing those who have an anti-Islamic agenda. My aim is to ensure that this community has the facilities they need. I just don't think this is the right way of going about that."

The existing mosque is housed in a former school in a conservation area. The new mosque would replace that building. Gove said many people also felt that it was important not to demolish the school, which is a locally listed building.

Abdul Wasay Chowdhury, of the Bengali Welfare Association, said the existing mosque was unsuitable and had no washing facilities or toilet. "It is not suitable for us to use as a mosque – there are many different floors so when someone is giving a speech it is difficult to see them."The building also did not face Mecca. "We have designed the plans very carefully so they will enhance the local area and have had lots of compliments on the way it will look," he said.

The council's planning committee voted in favour of the development. However, a procedural error means that the matter will go back before the council shortly before a final decision is made.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
02-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Comment by Alan Hiliar:

Gove's unprincipled mosque stand

Michael Gove's decision to oppose the building of a new mosque in his constituency is an attempt to silence political opponents.

Camberley, in the wealthy Surrey stockbroker belt, has a significant Muslim community who want their own place of worship.

The town now faces a defining moment with a planning application to build a traditional mosque (with dome and minarets) alongside the busy A30 road close to the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst. The local MP, Michael Gove, has argued that the application should be withdrawn for the sake of "good community relations".

In 1996, the al-Kharafi Islamic Centre moved into the buildings near the A30 previously occupied by Yorktown infants school but little changed on the outside other than the signage. Last September, there was an application to replace the old school buildings with a traditional mosque. And suddenly, the proposal became a very hot topic indeed.

Planning officers recommended refusal of the application for a variety of reasons but councillors on the planning committee overturned the advice and granted planning permission. Then, admitting an amazing level of incompetence, the council established that proper procedure had not been followed and the full council is now going to finalise the matter at some future date.

Local opposition to the mosque proposal has now built up and some more extreme elements are posting vitriolic comments opposing the new mosque and all things Islamic on sites like Facebook.

Gove, the local MP, sought initially to distance himself from the issue, but after being challenged by Ukip – whose anti-European views appeal to some Camberley voters – he has now asked the Muslim community to withdraw the planning application due to the strength of feeling locally. It appears, therefore, that Gove's sudden opposition to the mosque is linked to his desire to retain the support of his local party's anti-European right wing.

I'm not sure the London Road site is the right place for a mosque. I'm cautious about losing a locally listed building although I am aware that "local" listing is very different from the protection offered by a "full" listing which is issued by the secretary of state. I am, however, content to let the local council make the decision on planning grounds alone.

So Gove's sudden decision – provoked by Ukip jibes – to oppose the mosque raises major concerns in my mind.

First, he seems to want to placate those whose opposition stems from a deep antipathy to Muslims generally. That is not the standard of statesmanship and integrity I expect from a member of parliament who should represent the interests of all his constituents.

Secondly, by asking the local Muslim community to withdraw the application, he is asking Muslims to give up their aspirations for a purpose-built place of worship. I go to our local church and that's an important building for me and many other local people.

Lastly, I feel there is a deep cynicism and political calculation behind Gove's tactics since he seems to be hoping that a Camberley mosque will not be an issue in the forthcoming general election.

Surely a key test of an MP should be that he or she does not bend in the wind and shows some principle when it comes to dealing with controversial issues?

For me, Gove has failed these tests over the proposed Camberley mosque. His constituents and others may well wonder how he will react to other difficult situations he might face in the future.

Source

Alan Hiliar is Liberal Democrat prospective parliamentary candidate for Surrey Heath.

Supreme
02-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Curse us liberals and our intentions to let people build their religious buildings!

But seriously, the Muslim community should be able to build their mosque, so long as they can find the appropriate funding. I've never understood the mindset of some people: why would you possibly care if a mosque is going to be built if you're a non Muslim? It's not going to harm you in any way.

The_Prince
02-25-2010, 06:35 PM
as ive said in a previous thread, who are the people that are once again at the forefront of trying to stop something to do with Muslims and Islam, tut tut.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
alcurad
02-25-2010, 06:55 PM
rights are earned not granted, this is not too bad since it'll desperate the good from the bad plus help make Muslims in Britain-and Europe in general-aware of these issues and how to go about them.

Muezzin
02-25-2010, 07:40 PM
They want to build in a conservation area?

Hell hath no fury like a bureaucrat scorned.

zana
02-25-2010, 08:04 PM
where is the mosque being built?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!